mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Spring Brook pics

Opening day was beautiful and not very windy. Plenty of bikers up there and a few hikers. Note to dog walkers: it's an out and back from the T intersection at the beginning (where those two bikers are talking with a ranger); dogs not allowed to the left at that point and are not allowed once you've gone right and up around to where Spring Brook Loop hooks up with the road. Signage is still a work in progress as there isn't much correlation between the maps you see posted on those little stands at Doudy and at the connector from Doudy and the signs you see on posts. Rangers said it was all sort of a rush job as they didn't think they'd be "officially" opening this trail till next Spring.

No biggie, it was still a great 2+ mile loop. I ran across a guy with this Trek OCLV Y-bike that he'd had since new! FS was just starting out back then and this rider sez he's taken it to Alaska, up Barr Trail to the top of Pikes Peak and only upgraded the fork to the old skool Judy you see in the pic. How many of us are still riding the one and only bike we bought 13 years ago? And are still happy about it? This guy was.

One of these pics is of a Doudy switchback as you've never seen it. One lady rider gave Spring Brook the ultimate compliment: "It's great back there. It's like you're not even in Boulder". Then sped off leaving me in her dust.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:03 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

ride
    Thanks for the pics, John. I'll need to get down there for some SSing. We thought about going last night for our Tues night ride, but potential windy factor had us going high in the trees. We'll save Springbrook for a later date when all else is snowed in. Can't wait!
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Thanks for the pics, John. I'll need to get down there for some SSing. We thought about going last night for our Tues night ride, but potential windy factor had us going high in the trees. We'll save Springbrook for a later date when all else is snowed in. Can't wait!
    I wouldn't call it a destination ride but it's a great addition to what's already available out there. Definitely SS material. I asked about any other trails for bikes on the horizon to the rangers. Goshawk is going to be hiker/horse only. Fowler is off limits to bikes west of CR 67. You can access the Spring Brook Loop (North and South) coming in off of Eldorado Springs Rd. on CR 67 closer to Eld Spgs. They've sort of named that stretch of dirt road "Spring Brook North Trail" as opposed to Loop but, again, it's a little confusing if you look at the maps on those little white stands. Two different ways of getting to the new Spring Brook is good. If it's snowy elsewhere it's going to be snowy on most of SB because a lot of it is in the trees.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Thanks XC for the Pic's I can't wait to ride the loop. The trail in the tree's look sweet, I am also sporting a bike that is 12 years old there is nutting wrong with it . Plus i get alot of props for a classic Bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0