Professional Lurker

Screwed This Weekend....[warning: pseudo rant]

Well it's the NBA All-Star weekend in Denver, and it's Presidents Weekend in the ski resorts.

I'm sure we've all seen the news on how Denver restaurants and parking lots are gonna raise their prices dramatically, just for the All Star "Thugs" (let me apologize in advance if any of you guys are actual NBA fans).

Then, up in the hills, we have Presidents Weekend, which brings all the "tourons" (tourist + moron) out of the woodwork to bottleneck the slops. Can't wait to count how many people are skiing/riding with a Starter jacket and jeans!

And to top it off the recent snow makes our local trails not-so-ride-friendly. Ugh...I'm screwed this weekend....
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

Rolling
    What is you address?...

..I will send the waaaaaaaaaaaambulence out right now.

Professional Lurker
    ..I will send the waaaaaaaaaaaambulence out right now.
    Yeah really, let me spell it out: B-O-O H-O-O for all us CO'ans that deal with these unfortunate dilemmas....

Perpetually single track
    I deal with your same dilemnas sir, but I'll be in the mtns anyways...avoiding the tourons as best as possible.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

Professional Lurker
    but I'll be in the mtns anyways...avoiding the tourons as best as possible.
    Where are you heading?

The snow should be excellent as the forecast calls for snow on and off for the rest of the week, Breck got 10" last night!

I'm trying to decide if I should head up for a day trip or make a mini vaca out of it...and join the tourons!

locked - time out
    I feel your pain - just the thought of the Starter jacket / jeans crowd makes me want to kick my chinchilla. Mullets and headbutts for all baayyyybeeeee ...

Herd mentality rocks - it ROCKS!!!

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentK
    Where are you heading?
    Dunno..I'm blacked out for BC and Vail...so likely Breck one day, and Keystone the other...maybe even hit Abasin.
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

dwj
    mtbr member
    option #1 head into the backcountry.

option #2 get so drunk on friday night it takes until monday morning to recover.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    jenny and i have the snowshoe/hut trip thing all lined up, thursday through saturday. we'll be crawling home along i-70 with everyone else. ugh.

at least we'll be up high, away from the resorts for most of that time.

hoping to have most excellent weather for good pics!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Easy there!

Quote Originally Posted by SilentK
    Well it's the NBA All-Star weekend in Denver, and it's Presidents Weekend in the ski resorts.

I'm sure we've all seen the news on how Denver restaurants and parking lots are gonna raise their prices dramatically, just for the All Star "Thugs" (let me apologize in advance if any of you guys are actual NBA fans).

Then, up in the hills, we have Presidents Weekend, which brings all the "tourons" (tourist + moron) out of the woodwork to bottleneck the slops. Can't wait to count how many people are skiing/riding with a Starter jacket and jeans!

And to top it off the recent snow makes our local trails not-so-ride-friendly. Ugh...I'm screwed this weekend....
    Easy there buddy boy! This weekend will be just fine for riding. 40's and 50's we only got like an inch of snow which will be gone the first time sun hits it.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    jenny and i have the snowshoe/hut trip thing all lined up, thursday through saturday.
    My gal and I have a hut trip this weekend too -- heading to goodwin-greene outside of Aspen. Where are you headed?

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    [QUOTE=SilentK]"tourons" (tourist + moron) out of the woodwork to bottleneck the slops. Can't wait to count how many people are skiing/riding with a Starter jacket and jeans!
    QUOTE]

i know it's rediculous. when i was at vail this weekend, some dumb@ss group of texans thought they would hit up the mini park and get in peoples' way. So i'm at the botton of the pipe waiting to hit up the first kicker and this group decides to hit the other little jump acroos the way. the first two go off and completely case it almost killing each other. then the third comes haulin a$$ at it and like lands at the tranny of the landing, almost landing on his two buddies at the same time. and then flipping back and ard saling. and somehow not getting hurt. This all while completely ignoring social park regulations of waiting your turn and calling the drop in

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebike1
    This all while completely ignoring social park
    regulations of waiting your turn and calling the drop in
    Ahhh..that's good entertainment...
    seriously now, pardon my ignorance but what's the proper methods of calling your drop in? Just a little hand raise, make sure everyone got it and go? What's the rules on three "rythm" hits in row? Can I hit the first one, and bang out the next two in a row w/o calling my drop in?

I saw some jackass cut across the tranny of one hit to get the next hit, and get all pissed at my buddy who kept his line, took the next hit, and ran the arse off the jump...I assume my buddy was in the right, but I NEVER spend time in the park...so no clue....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hell, I'm going to Heavenly in lake tahoe, so I **AM** a touron.
    "I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a flower, never see a view--get hot, juicy, red--like a grilled chop. Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road, and cursing aloud at myself for doing it."

--H.G. Wells, The Wheels of Chance

Perpetually single track
    20 foot base or something similarly stupid....have a good time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    20 foot base or something similarly stupid....have a good time.
    It was ridiculous, almost 20" of pow fell while we were there.
    "I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a flower, never see a view--get hot, juicy, red--like a grilled chop. Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road, and cursing aloud at myself for doing it."

--H.G. Wells, The Wheels of Chance

Stand back

Drop In!

[QUOTE=ibmkidIII]Ahhh..that's good entertainment...
    seriously now, pardon my ignorance but what's the proper methods of calling your drop in? Just a little hand raise, make sure everyone got it and go? What's the rules on three "rythm" hits in row? Can I hit the first one, and bang out the next two in a row w/o calling my drop in?QUOTE]

Just call out drop in with enough conviction to scare off the little kids - thems the ones that will snake ya the most. It's the same everywhere, well, except the kayak park maybe...
    Once you're on a line, it's yours. Kinda need the speed to clear everything generally.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    My gal and I have a hut trip this weekend too -- heading to goodwin-greene outside of Aspen. Where are you headed?
    we just did an easy one, ken's cabin outside of breck. up by the section house. jenny's first time doing an overnighter in snow conditions, so i wanted it to be mellow.

she liked it, which is a good thing.

tons of pics to weed through now.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Members who have read this thread: 0