Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,079

    Salida thaw stoke

    Starting to open up, words and pics from yesterday here:

    Late Winter Thawing Singletrack
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  2. #2
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,148
    get back to Work, damnit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Starting to open up, words and pics from yesterday here:

    Late Winter Thawing Singletrack
    When Monarch is ready, that's when Salida opens up.

  4. #4
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,148
    https://salidamountaintrails.org/Map/Arkansas-Hills.jpg is all rideable, which sits lower then 7750'.
    The Monarch Crest Monarch Pass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sits at 11300' up and is almost 25 miles west from Salida and is snow covered and un-rideable with a bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

  5. #5
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    665
    See you folks there this weekend! I can smell the brick oven pizza from here. Yum.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rogbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    The dust you mentioned came from the San Luis Valley. My lady drove through it on Sunday and said visibility was down to less than a mile. Not to mention what came from Utah as well. The Front Range got some of that dust/rain mud early Monday morning.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: claystrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    259
    Looking at the Salida trails map, what is the preferred route to link these together?

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Looking at the Salida trails map, what is the preferred route to link these together?

  9. #9
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,574
    I was in Absolute on Sunday and was looking at the map of the proposed Cottonwood Gulch single track. While I'm not one of those guys who would rather open a main vein than ride a jeep road/double track, a single track option to bypass the road would be pretty nice. Now if there was a single track way to bypass the Ute trail from backbone up all would be complete.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: KarateChicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,865

  11. #11
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,079

    yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I was in Absolute on Sunday and was looking at the map of the proposed Cottonwood Gulch single track. While I'm not one of those guys who would rather open a main vein than ride a jeep road/double track, a single track option to bypass the road would be pretty nice. Now if there was a single track way to bypass the Ute trail from backbone up all would be complete.
    It's a really good project.

    Be assured, there are plans to get a singletrack route up from the bottom. Will it be easy to get approval? No it will not. But there are dotted lines drawn on maps. I designed and drew one years ago that is now part of the BLM Arkansas River Travel Management Plan. I drew it so that it stayed inside BLM boundaries. Because of the sawtooth boundary of BLM/San Isabel National Forest, there's a place just east of Cottonwood where BLM goes way up in there.

    Getting approval for a new route that crosses both land management agencies' land would be much more difficult than getting approval from one of them or the other.

    But yeah, long range plans include more long routes up into the Arkansas Hills.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  12. #12
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,079

    depends.

    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Looking at the Salida trails map, what is the preferred route to link these together?
    Depends on how long you want to ride, how technical you want it to be, how much tolerance you have for out-and-back as opposed to loops, how much tolerance you have for spending some time on graded gravel and/or doubletrack, etc.

    Frontside/Lil' Rattler is the standard entry point. Climbing those to start is a given. (Keep in mind please, Frontside especially is our "everybody" section. Dog walkers and other casual users can get to it from downtown and do an excursion that lasts less than half an hour. Please don't come rocking down Frontside like you're in the finals of a Mtn States Cup DH race.)

    Last time I went up to do a longer ride, with GF who doesn't want crazy technical, we went up Frontside, up Lil' Rattler, N. Backbone out and back, middle backbone to Cottonwood out-and-back, down Lil' Rattler/Frontside.

    If you want to test your AM skillz, go up FS/LR and climb 173 (jeep road) to Pauli and do Unkle Nazty. From there drop over into Cottonwood (Prospector is the last trail to melt out, probably still muddy).

    If you want another technical challenge, climb 173 and descend upper Sand Dunes. Please stay off the throttle and watch for other people on Lower Sand Dunes. It's also accessible easily from downtown for casual users.

    My personal favorite is FS/LR to N. Backbone, then climbing Ute Trail (graded gravel) for half an hour and doing Cottonwood.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    Bringing da LULZ!

  14. #14
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,574
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    It's a really good project.

    Be assured, there are plans to get a singletrack route up from the bottom. Will it be easy to get approval? No it will not. But there are dotted lines drawn on maps. I designed and drew one years ago that is now part of the BLM Arkansas River Travel Management Plan. I drew it so that it stayed inside BLM boundaries. Because of the sawtooth boundary of BLM/San Isabel National Forest, there's a place just east of Cottonwood where BLM goes way up in there.

    Getting approval for a new route that crosses both land management agencies' land would be much more difficult than getting approval from one of them or the other.

    But yeah, long range plans include more long routes up into the Arkansas Hills.
    I've done a fair amount of hiking around the Wells Gulch, Longfellow, Sweetwater, Crater gulches area. It's really neat, rugged, remote feeling country. Isn't there a fair amount of private property in that area? I know the cattle family (can't remember the name) own a lot of land in that whole South Park uplands area but I'm not sure if that includes all those gulches down toward town.

    I think it would be great to see some more trails on the whole S-Mtn template, but I also think not all those gulches in the area should have trails through them. Leave 'em as wild as they are.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: claystrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    259

    Routes

    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Depends on how long you want to ride, how technical you want it to be, how much tolerance you have for out-and-back as opposed to loops, how much tolerance you have for spending some time on graded gravel and/or doubletrack, etc.

    Frontside/Lil' Rattler is the standard entry point. Climbing those to start is a given. (Keep in mind please, Frontside especially is our "everybody" section. Dog walkers and other casual users can get to it from downtown and do an excursion that lasts less than half an hour. Please don't come rocking down Frontside like you're in the finals of a Mtn States Cup DH race.)

    Last time I went up to do a longer ride, with GF who doesn't want crazy technical, we went up Frontside, up Lil' Rattler, N. Backbone out and back, middle backbone to Cottonwood out-and-back, down Lil' Rattler/Frontside.

    If you want to test your AM skillz, go up FS/LR and climb 173 (jeep road) to Pauli and do Unkle Nazty. From there drop over into Cottonwood (Prospector is the last trail to melt out, probably still muddy).

    If you want another technical challenge, climb 173 and descend upper Sand Dunes. Please stay off the throttle and watch for other people on Lower Sand Dunes. It's also accessible easily from downtown for casual users.

    My personal favorite is FS/LR to N. Backbone, then climbing Ute Trail (graded gravel) for half an hour and doing Cottonwood.
    Thanks !

  16. #16
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,079

    trail density.

    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I've done a fair amount of hiking around the Wells Gulch, Longfellow, Sweetwater, Crater gulches area. It's really neat, rugged, remote feeling country. Isn't there a fair amount of private property in that area? I know the cattle family (can't remember the name) own a lot of land in that whole South Park uplands area but I'm not sure if that includes all those gulches down toward town.

    I think it would be great to see some more trails on the whole S-Mtn template, but I also think not all those gulches in the area should have trails through them. Leave 'em as wild as they are.
    The family you're thinking of is the Everetts. They own a ton of land up there in the hills, both Chaffee and Fremont Counties. There are two brothers and their offspring running family cattle operations. They own a couple parcels right there at the edge of the railroad corridor, but they haven't run any cows on them for decades. Most of their holdings are up into the National Forest part of the Arkansas Hills. Salida Mountain Trails wrote a GOCO grant to acquire a parcel of theirs that was right there across from town and gave it to the city. We have all their parcels marked on our planning maps.

    Also, Longs Gulch is largely private land. It was all up for sale a couple years ago. That ghost mining camp up there is all on private land.

    As for leaving some of it wild and remote: when you head east from about Sweetwater Gulch, the Division of Wildlife is pretty protective. It's bighorn sheep habitat. Eventually as you head further east you get into the Badger Creek watershed, which is a big roadless basin. Very rich mid-elevation wildlife habitat.

    We don't have any interest in arm-wrestling with DOW, we agree that there should be some truly wild country up there, and frankly it starts being a little too far from town to be part of our strategy.

    We would like to have a singletrack way to get to The Crater. That's part of the plan. But it probably would stay in or west of the Sweetwater drainage.

    The core philosophy behind Salida Mountain Trails is that Chaffee County (and western Fremont County) is mostly rugged and sparsely roaded. There are fairly vast areas on both sides of the river that don't have roads and trails and aren't visited often. But the areas near the towns, Salida, BV, Poncha Spings, all have substantial road and trail density and substantially higher levels of people traffic. For that reason, trail density in the areas directly adjacent to the towns should be higher.

    Demand for trail miles is high everywhere in CO, Chaffee County is no different. The argument I've made to the land managers for years is this: the people will satisfy demand for trails. You can be part of it, or you can let it happen in a way you may not like so much.

    Having trail systems that start in our little towns that offer lots of options is a win-win. Keeping them relatively close to town is a good idea, and it's practical. So go ahead and encourage higher trail density in those areas and leave the remote areas alone.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  17. #17
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    665
    Loved Salida this weekend.

    Everyone in my group loved the super flowy singlespeedy trails there. I'll be going back to do the more technical trails when I have more time.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    22
    Any updates on the conditions around Salida or Buena Vista?

  19. #19
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,574
    Did a 28 mile loop today in the whole Four Mile creek/midland area at BV and it was totally dry.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.