Thread: Salida?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Salida?

Anyone know what the trails look like down in Salida...I may be heading that way for the weekend and trying to figure out if it is worth it to take my bike.

mtbr member
    Call Absolute Bikes, they have the best 411: Absolute Bikes, Salida Colorado

Then let us know what you find out!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

Team Velveeta™

Ya sure, you betcha

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyf View Post
    Anyone know what the trails look like down in Salida...I may be heading that way for the weekend and trying to figure out if it is worth it to take my bike.
    Unless the storm that's supposed to be moving in tonight/tomorrow drops significant snow down this low, yeah, it'll be worth bringing your bike. Not all of our close-to-town singletrack is open, but enough to have some fun.

I'll let you know how things look this time tomorrow. By then I think it will be clear whether we are going to get enough snow to screw us up or not. I'm hoping it stays up in the Sawatch.

I could probably join you for a little pedalin' too.

EDIT: Just looked at the weather forecast. Now it's looking like Thursday is the real snow threat day. If you were here today you could have had an easy 2 hours worth of riding singletrack with just a little mud and ice and just a little re-tracing your path.
    Last edited by TomP; 03-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    BV is in great shape too. No snow on the spaghetti western trails, broken boyfriend and the midland trail. Here's a good site to look at too. The BV guy lives north of town so he still has a little snow showing, I just look at the sky conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for al the replies..I will keep posted on this..

Team Velveeta™

springtime forecast thrash

Looks like NWS softened their forecast for this week. Looking at the GOES satellite it's hard to see any big deal system that could wreak havoc. This time of year forecasting is a dark art I do believe.

I'm optimistic. I just took delivery on a KILLER set of new hand-built wheels. I wanna ride. So I'm watching the sky.

Tomorrow will be when it happens, if it happens.

Team Velveeta™

my back yard 6:30AM Thursday 03/08

Here's what we've got here in Salida at first light Thursday:

From the satellite it looks like a fairly weak Albuquerque low, but a fairly stationary one. It's just sitting down there rotating.

On the one hand, ABQ lows are the most common source of Salida's real precip, on the other hand, it's trying to melt as it hits the ground, and NWS says isn't supposed to persist beyond mid-day.

And it's only Thursday. And it's supposed to be clear tomorrow. By Saturday it could be a distant memory. Or it could keep oiling away like this all day and Saturday could be a mud festival.

I'll be heading to BV for work in about 40 minutes. Home 5:30, will report then.

Team Velveeta™

Thursday late AM update

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    ...By Saturday it could be a distant memory. Or it could keep oiling away like this all day...
    Snow stopped, sun is out. Warming up. Supposed to be sunny on through the weekend.

Bring your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ok...killer...what trails do you think will be good?

Team Velveeta™

Ark Hills Trails

ok...killer...what trails do you think will be good?
    The Arkansas Hills Trail System is across the river from downtown. Here's a jpg map:

salidamountaintrails.org/Map/Arkansas-Hills.jpg

Climb up Frontside. Don't ride directly toward it (you'll see it as you head toward the RR tracks). Go to the right and climb up the doubletrack that goes through a little impromptu DJ area then look for the singletrack going off to your left.

Climb to the parking area, then continue on Little Rattler. There's a kiosk at the parking area with the map shown in big format.

Explore. North Backbone is iffy, most of the rest of it is rideable but a little muddy in places.

I am going to Pueblo today then staying overnight with my GF's folks. I'll be back mid-day tomorrow. I can maybe tour guide a little. PM me with a phone number or other way to find you.

TP

Salida, CO
    Sep 2010
    I'll be riding them tomorrow afternoon, and can show you around a bit too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    The Arkansas Hills Trail System is across the river from downtown. Here's a jpg map:

salidamountaintrails.org/Map/Arkansas-Hills.jpg

Climb up Frontside. Don't ride directly toward it (you'll see it as you head toward the RR tracks). Go to the right and climb up the doubletrack that goes through a little impromptu DJ area then look for the singletrack going off to your left.

Climb to the parking area, then continue on Little Rattler. There's a kiosk at the parking area with the map shown in big format.

Explore. North Backbone is iffy, most of the rest of it is rideable but a little muddy in places.

I am going to Pueblo today then staying overnight with my GF's folks. I'll be back mid-day tomorrow. I can maybe tour guide a little. PM me with a phone number or other way to find you.

TP
    Thanks for all the updates...It turns out, I dont think I am going to be able to ride at all this weekend, but wouldnt mind hitting the trails in Salida soon, I may hit you up and take you up on that "tour"..Thanks and sorry I cant ride man.

Members who have read this thread: 0