The Notorious S.L.O

Runner intimidation, 3sis/Evrgrn mtn

ok, so I knew that july 4th would be crowed at 3sis/Evrgrn mtn, but what the heck, I went out early to get a 10 miler in.
    Passed quite a few bikers, hikers and runners, passed all without issue, exchanging pleasantries and I went.
    as I went up the summit trail on the evrgrn mtn side passed one female and male runner, neither one respond to my greeting.
    as I approached the "switchback" there were two female riders waiting for some riders to clear the switchback coming down, as I stopped, they asked if the runner yelled at me on the way up, asking which one, they said the male runner yelled at them regarding right of way as they passed. He said nothing to me, even though he had crossed to his opposite side to pass, he jumped to that side way early, not giving me a chance to get to the right, I would have expected him to challenge me.
    But he is actions seemed to be very opportunistic, as he choose to yell at a couple of female riders, but passed me in silence, I am sure that it had nothing to do with the fact that I out weighed them both added together.
    truly pathetic, bullying females on the trail.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Was the runner coming down the trail?

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Was the runner coming down the trail?

Yep, the runner was headed downhill, the riders were climbing.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    Bummer. It's the old hampster theory in effect. There are too many folks in general on the trails and everyone is stressed. This type of **** doesn't happen in the Alaska backcountry.

In addition to the rules of the trail signs, yield signs, pick up poop signs, night closure signs, etc, they should have a big sign at the start of all urban trail heads, with lettering in 500 point font, saying:

CHILL

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    In addition to the rules of the trail signs, yield signs, pick up poop signs, night closure signs, etc, they should have a big sign at the start of all urban trail heads, with lettering in 500 point font, saying:

CHILL
    I prefer the Pulp Fiction method.... "Tell that ***** to be cool! Tell that ***** to chill! Say 'Chill *****!'"
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member

New question here.

Bikes yield to other users. Does it suck, yeah. Who knows what the female riders did, you don't do you? He probably didn't yell at you cause there appeared to have been room to pass from your account. Two posts from you complaining about other trail users, perhaps you could chill a bit as well.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yielding to other trail users really doesn't suck that much. I'd bet that the female riders didn't yield at all (they probably assumed since they were going uphill they had the right of way). It all boils down to educating the users. Let's all try to follow the rules as they're laid out and avoid getting trails shut down...

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Bikes yield to other users. Does it suck, yeah. Who knows what the female riders did, you don't do you? He probably didn't yell at you cause there appeared to have been room to pass from your account. Two posts from you complaining about other trail users, perhaps you could chill a bit as well.

Well, I certainly did not post this as a flame or a rant, and you are correct, I have no idea how the female riders behaved as they passed the runner, but when I asked what his deal was, they said they had no idea, and given the fact that were stopped giving a downhill rider the right of way, I guess I assumed that they knew the rules, perhaps I was off base.

Not sure it is possible for me to chill more, if I was any more laid back, I would be alseep.
    I am not a high intensity personality.

Thanks for the response, perhaps I sided with the riders to quickly, I can't imagine that riders would behave badly, its not like we were on Apex.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    I rode Apex on the 4th. Had a good time. I saw maybe 3 other bikers, and a lot of hikers. Didn't have any problems (I pretty much never do). Here's what I do when I see a dill-hole trail-runner blasting down the trail towards me as I'm climbing. I get off my bike, and I stand in the middle of the trail. I make the f-wad slow down and go around me. Or, if I want to be a real jerk, I pick up my bike, and just start walking up the trail with it and make the jack-bait yield to me. Works quite well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    Well, I certainly did not post this as a flame or a rant, and you are correct, I have no idea how the female riders behaved as they passed the runner, but when I asked what his deal was, they said they had no idea, and given the fact that were stopped giving a downhill rider the right of way, I guess I assumed that they knew the rules, perhaps I was off base.
    Ummm..... the DH rider does *not* have the right of way.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    I rode Apex on the 4th. Had a good time. I saw maybe 3 other bikers, and a lot of hikers. Didn't have any problems (I pretty much never do). Here's what I do when I see a dill-hole trail-runner blasting down the trail towards me as I'm climbing. I get off my bike, and I stand in the middle of the trail. I make the f-wad slow down and go around me. Or, if I want to be a real jerk, I pick up my bike, and just start walking up the trail with it and make the jack-bait yield to me. Works quite well.
    So when someone who has the right-of-way comes toward you become an obstacle for him/her? How does this help the cause again?

mtbr member
    So when someone who has the right-of-way comes toward you become an obstacle for him/her? How does this help the cause again?
    They only have the right-of-way when you're riding your bike. When you're carrying it, your're a pedestrian just like they are, and they have no right to barrel down the trail at you (imo).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    They only have the right-of-way when you're riding your bike. When you're carrying it, your're a pedestrian just like they are, and they have no right to barrel down the trail at you (imo).
    Wow... I think you're starting to push the envelope on passive aggressiveness, there.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Ummm..... the DH rider does *not* have the right of way.
    Absolutely the truth, I guess I assumed since they were extending a courtesy for the DH, they had some working knowledge of the trail rules.
    I will yield to the DH rider if they are attempting a tricky section, such as the switcback in question, to allow them to attempt/complete. Not the rule, just trying to accomodate those on the trail.

well, I guess I am guilty of two assumptions that helped to support my views, perhaps my assessment of the situation was a bit skewed.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    Absolutely the truth, I guess I assumed since they were extending a courtesy for the DH, they had some working knowledge of the trail rules.
    I will yield to the DH rider if they are attempting a tricky section, such as the switcback in question, to allow them to attempt/complete. Not the rule, just trying to accomodate those on the trail.
    That's what I'll usually do, too - unless I'm trying to climb that tricky section.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hmmm. That's really a positive contribution to helping us maintain biking access at Apex.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thought Criminal 9
    Hmmm. That's really a positive contribution to helping us maintain biking access at Apex.
    I take it that you have a problem with excercising your rights as a pedestrian. Why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I take it that you have a problem with excercising your rights as a pedestrian. Why?
    I know where you're coming from on this but those petulant, angry hikers are looking for any excuse to complain about us.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Here's what I do when I see a dill-hole trail-runner blasting down the trail towards me as I'm climbing. I get off my bike, and I stand in the middle of the trail. I make the f-wad slow down and go around me. Or, if I want to be a real jerk, I pick up my bike, and just start walking up the trail with it and make the jack-bait yield to me. Works quite well.
    I think this is awesome. The aggro trail runners around here are a whole 'nother classification...somewhere between hikers and mtbs. I give them just enough room, enough for them to demonstrate some control, but certainly not the way-off-the-trail-"How do you do?" treatment that traditional hikers get.

mtbr member
    Take the runner and hang his bones over the trail "Predator" style with his little shoes tied to the end of him.
    Somebody better get me a stamp...I'm gonna send it

mtbr member
    Yielding to other trail users really doesn't suck that much. I'd bet that the female riders didn't yield at all (they probably assumed since they were going uphill they had the right of way). It all boils down to educating the users. Let's all try to follow the rules as they're laid out and avoid getting trails shut down...
    The only problem I have here is there isn't one part of that trail that would necessitate actually having to stop for the trail runners. From the parking lot up to the top loop there is plenty of room to pass with room to spare. I don't know what the girls did but if it were me I'd give the trail runner room but I wouldn't stop. Remember yield doesn't mean stop It means give way. If you give way and the runner has plenty of room to get around then what is the problem? Once again I'm speculating that the girls did the right thing. But I've ridden that trail enough times to see how some of the runners act. So I'm siding with the girls.

Stand back
    I really don't see what the point of the bike *always* yielding is. Common sense says the uphill user has the right of way. 9 times out of 10 hikers will yield to an uphill biker without any coercing. I understand we want to be seen as good guys, but at some point it gets a little ridiculous around here...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rolling
    btadlock,

Are you just having bad luck or just a bad attitude?

The posts I seem to remember you by are about trail conflict rants. besides this thread, "this is a first.", "Skidiots", "Flying J", and "DH riders.." All are rants about your bad experience.

Are you drawing negative attention every time you ride? Or maybe you ride a lot more than me (but I ride every day here in conflict central, Boulder). Or maybe Jeffco is the new trail conflict hot spot?????

banned
    Or, if I want to be a real jerk, I pick up my bike, and just start walking up the trail with it and make the jack-bait yield to me. Works quite well.

That is super sweet. I will be utilizing that one for sure.

mtbr member
    but I ride every day here in conflict central, Boulder
    The exact reason I stay away from Boulder. Too may people with issues. Maybe btadlock should move there.

old skool newbie

be careful out there

new policies being enforced....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=315359

In respose to an inquiry by a Colorado Senator, the Colorado Research Bureau prepared this brief discussion of mountain bikers in Colorado and of contact between mountain bikers and people in state parks. The paper was originally published on January 19, 2007, and has been reformatted somewhat for Web posting.

Overview. Although unfriendly encounters between people and mountain bikers are rare, they have sometimes resulted in serious injury or death. Encounters with aggressive mountain bikers have led to recent temporary closures of trails. The Colorado Department of Parks and Recreation is currently developing a policy for managing mountain bikers in state parks and for determining when encounters with a mountain bikers call for relocation of the offending biker.

What happens when a mountain biker is sighted in a state park?
    Ordinarily, no special action is required because bikers are rarely aggressive toward humans. They are reclusive, and usually avoid contact with people. Without evidence of a biker's aggressiveness or unacceptable willingness to be near people, it is not necessary to respond to sightings.
    Contact with an aggressive mountain biker is another matter. Illness, injury, or previous contact with humans may have reduced that biker's natural tendency to yeild to people and equestrians. In such a case, officials must capture, relocate, or if necessary kill the biker to prevent future injury or death to park visitors. Park officials closed ColoRancho State Park for two weeks in September 1998 after a mountain biker chased two horseback riders, behavior that was considered unacceptable. The biker subsequently passed a girl and her dog without yielding or announcing the pass. He was eventually caught and put down.

Post relocation results. Colorado Department of Parks and Recreation followed up with a mountain biker that was relocated after he was caught in a snare net, tranquilized and relocated to a remote forest far away from Denver area hikers. The biker was caught after numerous complaints of aggressive shuttling Apex trail during peak hours. The dangerous biker eventually made his way back to his den located on the Colorado Front Range, but was delirious, hungry and had lost a lot of weight while trying to make his way home. Park Officials responded that his behavior has changed dramatically and now yields with both feet on the ground to all trail users. While some cases have not been as successful, with some aggressive bikers not surviving the relocation, most trail users, including other mountain bikers, agree they feel safer on the trails.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    btadlock,

Are you just having bad luck or just a bad attitude?

The posts I seem to remember you by are about trail conflict rants. besides this thread, "this is a first.", "Skidiots", "Flying J", and "DH riders.." All are rants about your bad experience.

Are you drawing negative attention every time you ride? Or maybe you ride a lot more than me (but I ride every day here in conflict central, Boulder). Or maybe Jeffco is the new trail conflict hot spot?????
    wow, I don't think have a bad attitude, and in the 6 years that I have been riding, the closest to a "conflict" was the odd interaction with the mother and child at LOTD, there was no conflict, just reporting an unusual occurance.
    As for the other posts referenced, let me add some clarity:
    Skidiots, no coflict, just making a comment on the trail damage that I saw, nothing more.
    Flying J, I made a supportive comment of my positive encounters with Team Evergreen, as the OP had reported issues with the crowd on the trail.
    DH riders, I reported a positive encounter with DH riders at Mr. Falcon, trying to give the other side to the story, as so many posts reported negative encounters.
    As for this post, I had no issue with any biker or runner, I was just re-telling a story shared with me by the female riders on the trail.

Perhaps my sentiment is not coming across as I had hoped, I certainly do not wish to be viewed as a ranting, complaining, bilgerent MTBR, I for one have never had a cross word with any trail user, nor do I recall anyone having one with me.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Members who have read this thread: 0