tiny rider

Riding the Plains (picture heavy)

Summer is here. I took an early lunch ride down to the Marshall Mesa area to beat the heat (only somewhat successfully).

Last summer, I bought a new bike. I've been converting my old Trek OCLV (~'95 vintage) into a commuter/single speed. It would be a shame to let such a smooth frame go unused. One the road, it rolls 42x16 (magic gear) with 2.1" slicks. I had logged a couple hundred road/bike path miles before putting on some old mtb rubber and setting the gearing to a more relaxed 36x18. Marshall Mesa seemed like a perfect place to try it out.

I only ran into 3 other bikers, and a handful of dog walkers. What surprising solitude on Boulder trails!

I started along the the Mesa trail (undergoing a bit of work), and turned up to Cowdry Draw.

I love trails that feel like they are downhill in both directions

I looped back along the Community Ditch trail and headed up toward Greenbelt Plateau. It's funny how hard it is to get into climbing mode when you're used to cruising.

Along the Greenbelt trail, there is a wide road, and a sinuous little path to the side. This U-shaped narrow, overgrown line is fun. However, I absolutely nailed a rock hiding in the grass on the side of the trail with my crank. It sent me flying; fortunately, I landed on buff dirt and prairie grasses and the bike was fine. Here's the culprit:

After brushing myself off, I headed down to the recently opened High Plains trail. This is a really great addition to the area.

Apparently, they originally had some drainage problems. The fix is a bit clumsy, but works:

However, the rest of the trail is pretty sweet!

Of course, I have to have the obligatory flower shot. The cacti are blooming!

Finally, I finished up with the oh-so-fun but oh-so-short Coal Seam trail after retracing my steps on High Plains and Greenbelt. What a great section to finish the ride.

It's hard to imagine that we're in mid-June with all this green. Enjoy it while it lasts!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Good stuff, and I agree that's too nice of a frame to not get ridden!

Members who have read this thread: 0