mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Riding/Living in Fort Collins

So heres the deal:

im a high school senior located near seattle. I love mountain bike riding, as well as almost all other forms of riding. I'm currently going through the college application process and one of my choices is Colorado State University in Fort Collins.

My questions are: What is FOrt Collins like? Hows the riding? If anyone attended CSU, how did you like it? How big is the sport there? Is the town bike-commutable (word?)?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get in touch with these guys:

http://ramscycling.com/

slow
    I grew up in Fort Collins and went to CSU. Lived in the mountains for several years after college, and then came back to raise my kids. Fort Collins is a great place to live, with an active community and lots going on.

The cycling community is strong, with a great cycling culture. The city has a full time Bike Coordinator position within city government. Commutability is good, with most of the streets having ample bike lanes or paths (city bike map), and the bus system has bike racks.

There are hundreds of miles of road riding on the country and mountain roads directly outside of town, and mountain biking is also easily accessible from town on city, county, and state lands, with National Forest just a short drive. You can ride nearly year-round, and it is pretty easy to find group rides almost daily in season. Here are just a few local links for clubs and teams:

http://www.fcgov.com/bicycling/links-resources.php
    http://www.coteambob.com/
    http://thegroupride.wordpress.com/
    http://www.velo-one.com
    http://450club.ning.com/
    http://fccyclingfest.com

If you are a ski bum, you will not find lift served skiing very close, with the closest areas a 2 hour drive on a good day. However, there is great back country skiing and snow shoeing closer.

As a CSU grad, I feel I got a good education. I started out in the Engineering School, and also spent time in the Art Department. I graduated with a degree in Business. It was a good experience.

Here are a couple of shots of town from the mountain trails nearby:
    Attached Images Attached Images

pain intolerant
    If ever there was a U.S. wide Best Mountain Biking College Towns top 10 list, Fort Collins would surely be on it.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Having lived in the more well know cycling town of Boulder and Fort Collins I have to say Fort Collins offers a lot more to a mountain biker. There are great trails you can ride from town (no need to drive 20-30 minutes to a trail head) the weather is great and the people are friendly and down to earth. I bartended at a popular bar there when I was 29 and wished I had gone to college there. You will definitely be hard pressed to find a better college/mountain biking town.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Yep, all kinds of good mtb and road riding. Here is a whole bunch of random riding photos from the Ft Collins area...

http://flickr.com/photos/jeffkerkove...7602649816166/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the responses guys. sounds like fort collins would be a great town. Whats the weather like, especially during the winter. Would it be possible to live there without a car? or are the winters too harsh to be able to continually bike commute?

mtbr member
    Send a message to lostwind. He is the local expert for the CSU part (outside or racing).

My perspective:

DH/FR - poor
    XC - world class
    Road bike - world class
    DJ - pretty cool
    BMX - available
    Trials - nice play grounds

Bike nuts - plenty!

I commute to the office daily. Including winter - unless the few days the blizzards turn the roads white. Wife and I do most shopping on the velo, too. I do need the car to get to the resorts etc for DH/FR and I deliberately use the car to ride trails along the front range.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myself369
    thanks for the responses guys. sounds like fort collins would be a great town. Whats the weather like, especially during the winter. Would it be possible to live there without a car? or are the winters too harsh to be able to continually bike commute?
    Deepends on the winter. I haven't driven to campus this semester and I live on the very edge of town.

holding back the darkness
    Winters in FC are MILD! Mountain biking year-round! I rode weekly throughout the winter on many of the same trails I ride in the summer.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    good to hear, i dont like off-seasons. How mountainous is the area? is it the typical Rocky Mountains? SOme of the pics i've seen make it look more like dry, rocky plains almost.
    I ONLY make weird noises when i ride SS

holding back the darkness
    Mountains to the west, plains to the east. How mountainous? How far west do you want to go? There are 12,000ft peaks 30 min away. A 14,000+ peak 60 min away.
    Define typical rocky mountains...
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ~1/2" accumulation so far at my apartment

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    subliminal shiver: sounds like my idea of typical rocky mountains. Definitely a plus, i've learned i can't live anywhere flat. WHat's the elevation in Fort Collins anyway?

DanD: 1/2" of snow? very nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    subliminal shiver: sounds like my idea of typical rocky mountains. Definitely a plus, i've learned i can't live anywhere flat. WHat's the elevation in Fort Collins anyway?

DanD: 1/2" of snow? very nice
    Heh, I may have had a bit too much to drink tonight. Not sure what thread I intended that last post to go in, but I guess here works. To make some kind of sense at least the trails in Fort Collins are mostly rideable year round. May have to take a week or two off every now and then to let things dry off, but not often. I would guess the average grade of the local trails to be somewhere around 4-7%. The most fun trails are west of the reservoir.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Not to rain on the parade

Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    ~1/2" accumulation so far at my apartment
    This was my patio last Thurs.Dec. 4th, and I haven't gotten near enough melting to get it down to "1/2"

It does snow in Ft. Collins, and the past 2 winters have been harsh.

But for my past 35yrs of MTB'ng in "The Fort", when I moved here to get my degree from CSU, it's pretty much a 'year round' environment.

Ride from town, drive 30-60 mins, it doesn't matter. You'll be in MTB paradise, let alone attending CSU, world ranked for several of their colleges.

slow
    4982' at my house on the west side of town. If I head east from here, it is flat. However, as the crow flies, roughly 6 miles west of me it is 7500', and 1 mile west of me it is over 5500'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i imagine the elevation will make the first few rides very short, at least until i get used to being nearly a mile up. My house is currently at about 200'.

Im interested in business and engineering, anyone know how CSU's programs stack up against other colleges?

slow
    Im interested in business and engineering, anyone know how CSU's programs stack up against other colleges?
    Good, on both counts.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I'd guess as the crow flies more like 8,500+

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    However, as the crow flies, roughly 6 miles west of me it is 7500',
    In 17.25 mi you can be at 10,305' @ W. White Pine Mtn. "As the Crow flies", MTB able.

Just a little further and you could be here @ ~11,800'

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    man, you guys are killing me - i wont know if ill get accepted until may most likely.

i cannot wait to visit the area, ill be sure to bring one of my mtbs. is this kind of elevation ss-able?

slow
    ... is this kind of elevation ss-able?
    On the SS, it is not the elevation that is the problem, but how fast you gain it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Nope, don't even think of it

myself369:
    Can't wait to visit the area, I'll be sure to bring one of my mtbs. Is this kind of elevation ss-able?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    man, you guys are killing me - i wont know if ill get accepted until may most likely.

i cannot wait to visit the area, ill be sure to bring one of my mtbs. is this kind of elevation ss-able?
    2/3 of my bikes are SS. Looking to sell the third to fund a 29'er ss.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so im sure now that the elevation changes that you guys ride destroys my rides.

but, how technical are the trails there? FOr those that have never ridden in the PNW, the trails are very rooty, muddy, tight and technical (not to mention fun). Is there anyone thats ridden in both areas that can give me a direct comparison?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    so im sure now that the elevation changes that you guys ride destroys my rides.

but, how technical are the trails there? FOr those that have never ridden in the PNW, the trails are very rooty, muddy, tight and technical (not to mention fun). Is there anyone thats ridden in both areas that can give me a direct comparison?
    I haven't ridden in the PNW, but Fort Collins compared to Colorado Springs (2 hours drive) Fort Collins is not technical. Some trails border on technical, but they cannot compare to the truly tech trails that the springs has to offer. Bobcat Ridge and HTMP are close, as well as a few of the western trails in Lory State Park, but so far in my 9 years of mountain biking my 5 years in Fort Collins have not matched my 4 years in the Springs in terms of tech. challenges.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    DanD: is it more of the fast, flowy stuff? Obviously theres a little climbing

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Check out Colorado School of Mines for Engineering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is your ACT/GPA, I can give you a good guess if you're acceptable to CSU. Hell, if they took me, your odds are good regardless of numbers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    DanD: i have a 3.55 gpa, which i expect to increase based on my grades this semester, and
    a 1980 sat, with a 32 on my act.

Based purely on numbers, i feel like i have a good chance of getting into all the colleges i applied to. THe biggest issue is money. Luckily i can get Western Undergrad Exchange to CSU and pay 150% of in state tuition

Members who have read this thread: 0