riding the lifts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

riding the lifts

OK so I know it's the wrong time of the year for this.

I'm just getting back into biking. And realized the other day that my ski pass is still good for summer bike riding at the resorts. I've never biked by chairlift. So I'm preparing for summer. I've got a Charge Cooker.

So here is my simple question.

What do I need?

What do I need to know?

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Name:  58486262.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  88.2 KB
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Riding the lifts can be done on any bike and it is fun... that is all you need to know, the rest you will figure out..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    If you're talking about the Epic Pass, I think you only get a discount on tix for bikes ($9 off?). The free lift in the summer is for people on foot. I would love to be wrong about that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    If you're talking about the Epic Pass, I think you only get a discount on tix for bikes ($9 off?). The free lift in the summer is for people on foot. I would love to be wrong about that, though.
    HMMMM it is the Epic pass I'll have to find out more. I called the pass office over the weekend and asked if my pass worked for biking in the summer and they said yes.

though this wouldn't be the first time Vail Resorts Didn't know what they were talking about.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    From their site: "*Bike not included at Tahoe or Colorado resorts. Not valid at Mt. Brighton, Afton Alps or Arapahoe Basin. Canyons Resort free bike access only available at Red Pine Gondola - Terrain Park access requires an additional lift or Canyons Bike Park Seasons Pass."

I'd recommend Winter Park anyway, if you're just getting back into it. Lots more beginner and intermediate terrain.

mtbr member
    Forget the pass. Ride up and earn your ride down!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Mountain bike UP a mountain??? Ur hella crazee.

gotta get up to get down
    at least add some DH tires and bigger rotors to your hardtail, or rent/borrow/buy a bigger bike

it's lots of fun, get a full face and pad up, IMO you'll pickup more technical skills from a few laps on the lift than a whole bunch of trail riding

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You'll need a flat-brim hat and some energy drinks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    at least add some DH tires and bigger rotors to your hardtail, or rent/borrow/buy a bigger bike

it's lots of fun, get a full face and pad up, IMO you'll pickup more technical skills from a few laps on the lift than a whole bunch of trail riding
    Bigger as in taller?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs View Post
    You'll need a flat-brim hat and some energy drinks.
    I'm too old for both of those!

Motion activated
    Or you could take advantage of the lift and become better at DH. It's not like 5-6 runs won't give you a SERIOUS work out. These are skills that transfer directly to non lift serviced terrain.

I was on a ski lift all week-end and my legs are trashed. Hell, a three hour ride on my moto is a full body workout and a pretty good aerobic workout too.

There's so much more to mountain biking than fitness.
    Last edited by Steve71; 01-26-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by crow1knows View Post
    Bigger as in taller?
    Bigger as in more volume. A DH tire has a much thicker sidewall allowing for lower pressures without pinch flatting and or rim damage.

Your bike should do OK, but it will beat you up if you charge hard. Green and blue trails will still be a hoot, but if you want to hit up drops and bigger jumps, you might want to rent a DH bike, FF helmet and pads.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Want to get into an expensive activity? Take a lesson at WP/Trestle w/ a good instructor on a decent big (6"+) bike.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Or you could take advantage of the lift and become better at DH. It's not like 5-6 runs won't give you a SERIOUS work out. These are skills that transfer directly to non lift serviced terrain.

I was on a ski lift all week-end and my legs are trashed. Hell, a three hour ride on my moto is a full body workout and a pretty good aerobic workout too.

There's so much more to mountain biking that fitness.
    well said.. I love the guys/gals who think DH requires no aerobic activity...
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info everyone, I've got the pads. We'll start with the bike I have and take it from there. Looking into DH tires.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    well said.. I love the guys/gals who think DH requires no aerobic activity...
    Yep, I've never been able to ride steep, technical descents at max pace for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the info everyone, I've got the pads. We'll start with the bike I have and take it from there. Looking into DH tires.
    Make sure your frame/fork can accommodate the tire size. You'll probably have to get one of the smaller 2-ply DH tires.

A few spare tubes (get thicker ones) and patches, plus a *sturdy* set of tire levers. Not to forget a pump with a PSI gauge. You want sturdy levers because DH tires can be a pita to change. If you're coming from low(er) elevation, set your tire pressure at the resort.

A first aid kit is also a good idea.

Oh yeah, in case it isn't obvious, you'll want to lower your seat a lot. Flat pedals can be nice too, with the right shoes.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Not finding anything on DH fat tires for my rims. Everything else seems good.

Motion activated
    Not finding anything on DH fat tires for my rims. Everything else seems good.
    It's a 26" wheel size right? Looks like the Cooker comes is a ton of different configurations, including fat.

Exactly which model do you have?

mtbr member
    Some resort lifts can handle fat bikes, some cannot. I have my season pass at Granby Ranch and they cannot handle the wider tires, so I rode my fatty to the top. Like a man.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    Some resort lifts can handle fat bikes, some cannot. I have my season pass at Granby Ranch and they cannot handle the wider tires, so I rode my fatty to the top. Like a man.
    but did you hit any of the big gap jumps.. like a man?
    BBZ

mtbr member
    but did you hit any of the big gap jumps.. like a man?
    No. I rode the chicken-outs, like a scared little girl.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    No. I rode the chicken-outs, like a scared little girl.
    well, next time put some big boy pants on and give it a try.. its fun..
    BBZ

Living the High Life
    Looking into DH tires.
    Oh crap...that stirs up a huge debate around here. The majority with tell you the same thing. Save the time reading all the reviews, go by some Maxxis Minions and go ride.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    It's a COOKER MAXI 1
    26x4.25

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Going to work, Earning money and then paying to use the lifts is still technically
    "earning your downhill"

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyf View Post
    Going to work, Earning money and then paying to use the lifts is still technically
    "earning your downhill"
    nice.. and its not like it requires any special talent to ride up a hill..however, riding the big boy lines at Granby, or Keystone certainly does..(BTW, I ride up plenty of hills too), but I hate the ignorance of the anti DH crowd, riding bikes is fun any way you choose to do it..
    BBZ

Motion activated
    It's a COOKER MAXI 1
    26x4.25
    So it's a rigid fat bike? Ya probably should have made that clear from the get go.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they make two ply fat tires.... those fat tires are already heavy enough.

As long and you have good tread, you could just run your bike as is.

mtbr member
    nice.. and its not like it requires any special talent to ride up a hill..however, riding the big boy lines at Granby, or Keystone certainly does..(BTW, I ride up plenty of hills too), but I hate the ignorance of the anti DH crowd, riding bikes is fun any way you choose to do it..
    FYI, suggesting a ride up does not make me ignorant or part of any anti-downhill crowd. It just means you don't need a pass. Don't be so insecure man.

And I would say that cranking up from bottom to top of a Colorado ski mountain does take talent. Saying otherwise would be like saying Lance Armstrong had no special talent. Lance probably wouldn't be flying through the air on those "big boy lines" you mention, but, I agree with what you said, "riding bikes is fun any way you choose to do it", right?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Wait a minute.. Lance cheated, and he was really, really good at it, that does take talent..

And getting to the top of a Colorado ski mountain doesn't take talent, just perseverance
    BBZ

banned
    Oct 2004
    ...I agree with what you said, "riding bikes is fun any way you choose to do it", right?
    Except riding a big bike uphill. That just sucks, no way around it. Rode a 8" DH bike (an old Tomac 204) up Lookout to hit Apex one time. NEVER doing that again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Except riding a big bike uphill. That just sucks, no way around it. Rode a 8" DH bike (an old Tomac 204) up Lookout to hit Apex one time. NEVER doing that again!
    Haha. So true. Lifts and shuttles are necessary considering it is impossible to climb with most DH rigs. Plus riding DH bikes is incredibly fun riding Downhill.
    Climbing can be rewarding, I wouldn't call it fun like DH.

banned
    Oct 2004

Big bikes and cardio fitness

For those who've never been on a big bike, listen for the breathing. And, there's almost no pedaling on this clip:

Pivot Phoenix Carbon 650B? - Page 2- Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    So it's a rigid fat bike? Ya probably should have made that clear from the get go.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they make two ply fat tires.... those fat tires are already heavy enough.

As long and you have good tread, you could just run your bike as is.

Apologies, I didn't realize there were may different versions of this bike. I just thought it is what it is. Thanks for your replies and info.

mtbr member
    For those who've never been on a big bike, listen for the breathing. And, there's almost no pedaling on this clip:

Pivot Phoenix Carbon 650B? - Page 2- Mtbr.com
    How do we know this rider isn't just lazy and out of shape? I have seen people loose their breath walking up stairs. Just before my dad's heart attack, he would loose his breath walking the dog.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    How do we know this rider isn't just lazy and out of shape? I have seen people loose their breath walking up stairs. Just before my dad's heart attack, he would loose his breath walking the dog.
    I know you Steamboat people know nothing except how to ride XC and it's hard to tell terrain from that video, but take another look.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know you Steamboat people know nothing except how to ride XC and it's hard to tell terrain from that video, but take another look.
    In a cross country race it would be a nice section to let your heart rate recover before the next climb.

banned
    Oct 2004
    In a cross country race it would be a nice section to let your heart rate recover before the next climb.
    Yeah, sure. Why don't you take your XC bike down Trestle DH this summer and come back and fill me in on how much of a rest you got.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, sure. Why don't you take your XC bike down Trestle DH this summer and come back and fill me in on how much of a rest you got.
    I was referring the the trail in the "heavy breather" video.

Forward At All Times

Re: riding the lifts

Wait a minute.. Lance cheated, and he was really, really good at it, that does take talent..

And getting to the top of a Colorado ski mountain doesn't take talent, just perseverance
    Everyone is so mad at lance for taking drugs and winning. I take drugs and I cant even find my bike.
    If you cant become the best at something, just be good at everything. Live Fast Die Slow

banned
    Oct 2004
    I was referring the the trail in the "heavy breather" video.
    You might want to doublecheck that trail's grade. I know the first part is pretty mellow, but look at how much the rider is leaning into the hill just traversing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It just takes the right kind of bike.

My ONE is 8" travel and I ride it up almost anything. That's my trail bike...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    It just takes the right kind of bike.

My ONE is 8" travel and I ride it up almost anything. That's my trail bike...
    I guess I CAN put a 1x11 X01 on the Jedi...and a rear shock w/ some kind of lockout...but I have other bikes that's better suited.

Any luck selling your Jedi? Peak Cycles is having a pretty good deal on those DT Swiss FR570 rims w/ their discount code, and ebikestop is having a sale on DT Swiss Comp spokes...if this helps you start to collect bits for when you do sell.

mtbr member
    Paully, I made it up to the second bridge of Fish Creek Falls last week. Snow makes that trail easy. My fatbike is rigid, and i did have to breathe heavy to clean a couple of sections. We are working on a record snowfall for January, record lowest. We are at 10.5in, and average 75in, record lowest was 16in('81). Trails here could be open soon.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Riding a bike uphill strongly then riding that same "little" bike down the "big boy" lines. Now that takes talent. None of that running over everything stuff.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Riding a bike uphill strongly then riding that same "little" bike down the "big boy" lines. Now that takes talent. None of that running over everything stuff.
    agreed.. you are free to tag along at whistler on your little bike, I will stick to my big bike and ride my little bike on my rest days July sometime...
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Video: Nico Vink and Kyle Jameson - Wild Riding in Whistler - Pinkbike

let me know how long you think your little bike could handle this...
    BBZ

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Video: Nico Vink and Kyle Jameson - Wild Riding in Whistler - Pinkbike

let me know how long you think your little bike could handle this...
    Which one in that video are you, Nico or Kyle?

mtbr member
    A full face helmet. Teeth are very expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy_tires View Post
    A full face helmet. NEW teeth are very expensive.
    Fixed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Fixed
    That's right, I got my first set, wait, first 2 sets for free, lol