flowcus

Red Rocks camping/riding options?

I have tickets to Big Head Todd at Red Rocks in June. Would like to find a good nearby camping spot and take an afternoon ride before the show. The ideal would be riding from the campground to minimize drive time. I see Bear Creek is nearby. Are there any better camping spots, perhaps more secluded?

I'm from Fort Collins and feel comfortable riding just about anything. My lady friend is an intermediate rider. I've never ridden Red Rocks, Matthew Winters or Dakota Ridge. Any trail suggestions for a 2 hour-ish ride in the area would be great.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Cheif Hosa. Not sure what it's like, I just know that's been the spot I've heard folks talk about before. The trails you mention are what you'll want to ride. You can also access Green Mtn from M. Winters. Specific loops? I'm not the guy to talk to, sorry. Have fun though, Red Rocks is special (as I'm sure you know).

Don't eat the brown acid. In that order...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Chief Hosa rules out any rides from the campground without driving. Bear Creek is the closest option. I can't think of much else. Most land in that area is private or has curfews if it is public. I think the gates at the Bear Creek CG close at 10PM.

mtbr member
    You pretty much have it down, camp at bear creek, ride Mathews/Dakota, wake up and hit Apex or White Ranch on your way out of town, grin the whole way home.

not actually bad :)
    A couple other options -

You can get one of the yurts at BCLP - they're kind of a fun change of pace. And for BCLP, they may be more fun than camping, since you're kind of in the middle of the city anyway.
    Camping at BCLP

Make a w/e of it and camp Fri and Sat night at White Ranch. The sites further to the south are easier access, and there usually aren't a ton of people camping there.
    White Ranch Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO
    Old Codger

flowcus
    Thanks for all the 401 on local camping. I think Bear Creek might fit the bill. I didn't think about White Ranch though and might check that out. I would preferably not want to get behind the wheel after the concert if I don't have to. Do you think we could stumble down the hill to BC from Red Rocks? Google says its 4 miles. That might be out of range if we get our swerve on.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fcrider View Post
    Thanks for all the 401 on local camping. I think Bear Creek might fit the bill. I didn't think about White Ranch though and might check that out. I would preferably not want to get behind the wheel after the concert if I don't have to. Do you think we could stumble down the hill to BC from Red Rocks? Google says its 4 miles. That might be out of range if we get our swerve on.

If you put your thumb out I'm sure you can find someone even more wasted than you are to give you a ride down there from RR.

Light freak

Not really camping, but......

how about the Clear Creek RV Park? They have 3 tent sites. Right in downtown Golden, you can ride from your campsite and ride up Chimney Gulch (Lookout Mtn) and then over to Apex and right back down to your camp site. Food and restaraunts within walking/riding distance, and probably the best perk - GCB is just across the river!!!

I did not know this, but the Clear Creek RV Park is owned and operated bythe City of Golden. Clear Creek RV Park | City of Golden, Colorado

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Bear Creek

I have tickets to Big Head Todd at Red Rocks in June. Would like to find a good nearby camping spot and take an afternoon ride before the show. The ideal would be riding from the campground to minimize drive time. I see Bear Creek is nearby. Are there any better camping spots, perhaps more secluded?

I'm from Fort Collins and feel comfortable riding just about anything. My lady friend is an intermediate rider. I've never ridden Red Rocks, Matthew Winters or Dakota Ridge. Any trail suggestions for a 2 hour-ish ride in the area would be great.
    Surprisingly, there is not much camping near Red Rocks. Cheif Hosa is close but you need to get in a car to go to Red Rocks and to ride. Bear Creek is not secluded but I think it is your closest option, you would want to drive unless you want to ride your bikes to and from Red Rocks. The hike would be pretty hefty considering you would have to go up and over Dakota Ridge and then a lengthy walk on the bikepath. If you wanted to roll the dice you could try and catch a ride from Red Rocks to Morrison, the walk from Red Rocks to Morrison would be long and dangerous because of traffic and walking along the road. Then you would have to walk out of Morrison to Bear Creek via the Bear Creek bikepath.

If you take your girlfriend riding on Dakota Ridge she may not be your girlfriend after the experience. Dakota Ridge is pretty rough. I would recommend Bear Creek, there is five miles of singletrack right on site you wouldnt have to get in the car, Mt. Carbon Loop is the name of the trail. You are not going to be 'wowed' by the trail but it is fun, and there are two short climbs to get your heart pumping. Green Mountain is also near Bear Creek, plenty of climbing, plenty of trails, not too technical but fun factor is high. Matthew Winters and the connecting trails are just outside of Red Rocks and are cool trails to ride. I have brought my bike to Red Rocks and ridden the trails then locked them up in the car and gone to the show but this still doesnt solve your problem of driving after the show. Thats my 2 cents worth.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by frntrngcactus View Post
    Surprisingly, there is not much camping near Red Rocks. Cheif Hosa is close but you need to get in a car to go to Red Rocks and to ride. Bear Creek is not secluded but I think it is your closest option, you would want to drive unless you want to ride your bikes to and from Red Rocks. The hike would be pretty hefty considering you would have to go up and over Dakota Ridge and then a lengthy walk on the bikepath. If you wanted to roll the dice you could try and catch a ride from Red Rocks to Morrison, the walk from Red Rocks to Morrison would be long and dangerous because of traffic and walking along the road. Then you would have to walk out of Morrison to Bear Creek via the Bear Creek bikepath.
    Not really - you could take the Trading Post trail down and only have a short walk along the road (and since almost all the traffic would be leaving the inbound lane should be empty for the most part.

I would recommend taking a headlamp for the evening walk back to Morrison. Oh - and watch out for rattlesnakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Trading Post Trail

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Not really - you could take the Trading Post trail down and only have a short walk along the road (and since almost all the traffic would be leaving the inbound lane should be empty for the most part.

I would recommend taking a headlamp for the evening walk back to Morrison. Oh - and watch out for rattlesnakes.
    The Trading Post Trail just gets you out of Red Rocks, you still have a good hike into Morrison along a very dark road littered with drunks and rattlesnakes. The dangerous part of the trek, I feel is the walk from Red Rocks to Morrison. It all depends what exit they walk out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Oh hell, just ride up to the county / Denver Mountain Parks border, hike a few hundred feet off the trail, and pitch a tent. DMP doesn't patrol that trail and the county guys never stray far from the MW parking lot off 70.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by frntrngcactus View Post
    The Trading Post Trail just gets you out of Red Rocks, you still have a good hike into Morrison along a very dark road littered with drunks and rattlesnakes. The dangerous part of the trek, I feel is the walk from Red Rocks to Morrison. It all depends what exit they walk out.
    Yah - those walks are all better than a DUI, though. Or riding with some drunk. There's always the option of cutting through to the elementary school and walking out there. Safer alternative...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I agree

Yah - those walks are all better than a DUI, though. Or riding with some drunk. There's always the option of cutting through to the elementary school and walking out there. Safer alternative...
    Whatever the best way is...you are correct, a long walk is certainly better than a DUI.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Who gets drunk at a BHT concert? Crap everyone is usually over 40 and has to get back to their kids.

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012

No good

Quote Originally Posted by jazzalbart View Post
    North Georgia consists of five major mountains and mountain chains, including Lookout Mountain, Brasstown Bald and Stone Mountain. With a large quantity of lakes, streams and rivers, the Georgia Mountains offer many recreational opportunities including camping, water-skiing, whitewater rafting, hiking, riding, fishing and more.
    WTF are you talking about?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    WTF are you talking about?
    Mmmm... Spam... tastes so good in the morning.

Members who have read this thread: 0