mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Red Flag Warning indeed

Every time I hear "High Winds! Red Flag Warning!" I picture the arsonists grabbing their incendiary devices and heading to some secluded spot near a highway. I only say that because I learned about their behavior when I lived in SoCal. I'd never heard of people torching the countryside, I always thought it was buildings for insurance money or something.

So I'm doing an errand just now. I get out into the monster winds here in Westminster...and smell the smoke. I scan the foothills (I have a 180 degree view where I live, from Lyons to way the freak down south. This particular fire is way south. Maybe you'll recognize the area from the shape of the hills. If you live near there you've probably smelled the smoke already.
    Take all precautions.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just saw the story on the news - Winds Push Wildfires In Jefferson County - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Then looked out my window overlooking I-25 near Dry Creek...smoke all over the Roxborough area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There might be three fires working. I don't think the fire I photographed is up in Conifer, looks too low in elevation for that.

Rigid in Evergreen
    I just got the "Mandatory Evacuation Notice" call from the JeffCo Sheriff... I'm not sure why though since we live more than 14 miles away from Apen Park on the complete other side of JeffCo.

I drove home from COS to Highlands Ranch and this looks a lot closer to Waterton than what the news is saying

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So, IOW, you all who live down lower than Conifer, you might want to take the evac warnings seriously. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Was there a planned burn last week? Saw some smoke...Tues or Wed?
    Yes, the news reported it had flared up again. Kudos to those who thought it was out. The fire I'm talking about is just as you start to go up 285 (I think), not all the way up in the Conifer area.

Of course, me being a suspicious sort, picture an arsonist starting a fire up near Conifer (there are two now) then driving down 285 towards Denver and starting another one before he gets home and watches it all on the news.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Was there a planned burn last week? Saw some smoke...Tues or Wed? This wasn't one that got outta control was it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Was there a planned burn last week? Saw some smoke...Tues or Wed? This wasn't one that got outta control was it?
    Yes, a planned burn gone a-rye. They officially win the stunata of the year award.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I only say that because I learned about their behavior when I lived in SoCal
    This explains everything!

slow
    Another one burning west of Loveland and north of the Crozier Mountain area:
    Wildfire reported west of Loveland; smoke visible from Fort Collins | The Coloradoan | coloradoan.com

Rolling
    This is bad news.

Rigid in Evergreen
    The larger fire is near Aspen Park south of 285 (Reynolds Park area?)... There were also a couple other smaller grass fires (one on Lookout Mountain and one down near Ken Karyl I believe).

I'm still not sure why I got the "Mandatory Evacuation Notice". We live due north of Evergreen, the evacuation center is Conifer H.S. and the fire is south of Aspen Park. I got up on a ridge by our house this afternoon and thankfully we're not anywhere near the path of the smoke either.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    We live behind Chatfield on the canal (just N of Rox) and we had heavy smoke and ash falling. Winds were crazy. March is too early for this crap. Hope everybody gets through it OK.

You can catch updates on the fire here: Jefferson County, Colorado (CO) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com or listen to the Police/Fire Dept radio chatter if you're into that. Last update was @ 9pm, over 3,000 acres and 900-odd homes evacuated. They're saying the fired was cause by a controlled burn from last week that the Fire Dept. thought they had put out. I'd hate to be the crew chief of that goat screw today.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Many items packed, some moved.... I don't see me sleeping to well tonight. No call here yet, hope it stays that way. Thoughts/prayers to any/all involved with this. I love it here in Conifer, but this is scary!

Team Velveeta™

scary

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    ... I love it here in Conifer, but this is scary!
    Best of luck to all of the people who live in that area.

I can totally relate to the concern and vulnerability. In the late 90s I owned and lived on a 5 acre place in Black Forest. My lot was heavily treed, hundreds of mature ponderosa pines. I was surrounded by vast swaths of privately owned forest that was totally un-managed. The density of trees and what we called dog hair (thousands of tiny sapling trees sprouting up together inches apart in clusters all over the forest) was really vulnerable to fast-moving wildfire. Acres and acres needing to be thinned. I worked really hard thinning my own 5 acres of forest during the 4 years I lived there.

The Black Forest FD put out info all the time about wild fires and evacuation. The message was basically, a fire could get big and move fast. If it blows up there will only be so much the firefighters can do. Be ready to throw the pets and family heirlooms in the car and go. You may not have 20 minutes. If you see fire, go, get out.

The last summer I lived there was super hot and totally dry. I worked from home lots. One afternoon I was there working and my dogs let me know they wanted out. I went to the back door and saw smoke blowing through the trees.

Turned out it was from a fire all the way up in the Rampart Range, but it gave me the willies. Later that week I asked my homeowners insurance agent if I could add coverage for my trees. He said that they don't really do that. They could cover one or two trees, but what was really covered was the structure.

My house was no big deal. To the extent that it was valuable was because of the forested lot. If it all burned, I could have a replacement house built, but it would be a no-big-deal house on a moonscape. Made me feel really vulnerable.

It's super nice living in a natural setting, smelling those trees in the spring when they get fragrant, having fox and squirrels all over. But it comes at a price.

Again, luck to all those living out there.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Te Denver Post says "Lower North Fork Fire uncontained..." I don't see any smoke or smell any smoke down here in Westminster. I was hoping that meant it was out. Is the wind blowing to the west?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Te Denver Post says "Lower North Fork Fire uncontained..." I don't see any smoke or smell any smoke down here in Westminster. I was hoping that meant it was out. Is the wind blowing to the west?
    Isn't it amazing what you can find on the Intersuck?

Weather Forecast Conifer, CO | Conifer Weather | Wunderground

I hate bikes.
    Wind is barely blowing down here (Home @ Buffalo Creek) at the moment. It looks as if it is going to pick up soon though.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

mtbr member
    I'm all the way over by the Brook Forest Inn/Lower Maxwell Falls trailhead and I got a text message about the evacuation yesterday at 5. Better to get one than not I guess.

I am seeing the wind pick up more this last hour. That's not good.

Motion activated
    We live in a 'tree house' up in Conifer and got a mandatory evacuation notice (reverse 911 call) from the fire department yesterday. Turns out there were a lot of areas that mistakenly got the message to evacuate.

None the less I'm keeping a close eye on the wind. Best wishes to all those that are in the path of this fire.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

The MTB Lab
    Wind is supposed to pick up late this afternoon, but nothing like yesterday. I was riding up on the flanks of my Mt Herman in the Springs yesterday and we had 70-80mph gusts, and I got blown over a couple of times. The vicious winds are supposed to return this weekend?

Latest update on the Lower North Fork Fire as of 6:30am Mountain:

Fire size between 3050 and 3500 acres
    15-25 homes lost
    2 fatalities (unknown if these were fire related or not)
    Forecast for day is for 30-40 MPH gusts
    Expecting 450 fire fighters on the line by the end of the day
    2 tankers one guide plan and 1 helo on order
    A type 1 incident team en-route
    0% containment

mtbr member
    How do I get on the text list? My phone is a 719 area code but I would like to know if it happens... Looking at the latest map I am really close to evac limits right now.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    How do I get on the text list? My phone is a 719 area code but I would like to know if it happens... Looking at the latest map I am really close to evac limits right now.
    I did it a year or two ago but I think this is it. https://alertregistration.com/JeffersonCountyCO/.

I have a 907 (Alaska) area code and it worked. It says something about taking 3 days to activate...

mtbr member
    Thanks rungmonkey!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    Thanks for posting this.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DWF View Post
    Thanks for posting this.
    C'mon, DWF, can't you & Elroy drink a case or two of PBR then head over and put the fire out yerselves (if you know what I mean)?

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    hope all you guys that live up that way are OK. A little rain would sure help.

Rigid in Evergreen
    No precipitation in the forecast, there was some for next week, but that seems to have been changed.

Thankfully the temps are cool and the wind was a gentle breeze today. Hopefully with the air support kicking in today they can get on the offense.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Official Shelter

I'm in Evergreen (southern side on the hill). No problem here yet and I'm housing my nephew, his Wife, and dog. They were evacuated and the fire is burning about a 1/2 mile from their house.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Cool and calm so far again today.

Members who have read this thread: 0