mtbr member

Recommendations-hiking,fishing, and maybe hunting.

My wife's friend is coming from Chicago next summer with her husband and 3 boys and are planning their trip already. I need recommendations somewhere within 3 hrs of Denver that has good camping, hiking, big lake for fishing. If possible small game hunting would be a bonus for them. I do a lot of camping but usually not near lakes so my resources are limited for them. Thanks in advance.

"thunderstruck"
    hahns peak lake-above steamboat lake- real scenic-decent fishing-good hiking and biking-no small game hunting that time of year
    " I Got Nuthin"

Cycling, FTW!!
    ^^
    Yeah, I was thinking HP or Pearl lake.

Buffalo pass (another steamboat destination) would be another great spot with developed camp sites. Lots of alpine lakes, killer views, wilderness hiking to the north, mountain biking to the south, and all the grouse hang out up high when the weather is mild, but I dont think small game season starts until September.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Grandby
    There's no hunting in summer.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Buena Vista/Salida and the Arkansas Valley:

1. Go north towards Independance Padss and camp near Twin Lakes .. the trailaround the lake is great - you've also got access to the Colorado trail not far away... The Trailhead in Buena Vista is a nice outdoor shop/bike shop and Keith and Evelyn who own the place have always been very helpful to me.

2. Go South and camp at O'Haver Lake just off Poncha Pass and there's a bunch of riding there depending on what you like and how far you want to ride - some dirt road riding will get you some fantastic singletrack (a.k.a. Rainbow Trail off Silver Creek). You can stop in and ask the folks at Absolute Bikes in Salida (30 minutes south of Buena Vista) and they'll take great care of you (I would say they are the FINEST bike shop I've ever worked with - period - their techs are rock solid!) and they have the BEST maps of the area... particularly Monarch Crest one of the state's best ride.

That's just a sampling of the great riding/fishing areas in the Arkansas Valley...

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

"Oldfart from Wayback"

The earliest you can hunt is Sept.1

When are they coming ?

The Trappers Lake / Flat Tops area SW of Steamboat is a little less crowded than some places around the big resort towns. Lots of fishing, good hiking into the Wilderness, but not so much in the way of MTB'ng that I know of.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations so far. They're coming around last week of June through the first week of July. They don't bike so that's not an issue, unless of course if we join them for their trip. Sounds like no hunting will be available for them. That wasn't a priority anyways, but just a bonus. Keep the recommendations coming. Thanks.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

That's not even "summer" in the High Country

Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    They're coming around last week of June through the first week of July.
    If we get a winter like last winter, as NOAA is predicting, nothing will be open up 'high". Even in a normal year, most 'high country' trails are still snowed in at least 'till the 4th of July and later.

Steamboat Lake/Pearl Lake would be a good bet that early.Trappers Lake and the lower Flattops lakes will be open as will many "drive" up lakes. For serious hiking, that's probably still too early for the high country, although anything open is probably more than a "Flat Lander" has ever experienced if its their first trip to CO .

Members who have read this thread: 0