mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Question re Palmer Park in Colorado Springs

I live in Wyoming but will be in Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks for a family reunion. My brother asked me if I would bring a couple of bikes to the reunion and go riding with his son, who is just getting interested in cycling. The son is 14 years old and has been a competitive swimmer for four or five years so he is in very good shape, but doesn't ride a lot.

The reunion will be at my aunt's house and she lives very close to Palmer Park, which, as I understand it, has many cycling trails.

Can someone tell me whether the trails at Palmer park are mountain bike only or whether a cyclocross bike would suffice? Also, are there paved trails that would accomodate road bikes? I ask because I have two road bike and two cyclocross bikes but only one mountain bike. If Palmer Park requires a mountain bike, I'll need to borrow one from a friend.

Thanks.

Abide, Em-effer!
    MTB for sure. There are sections that can be fun on CX rigs, but certainly not for novices.

ETA: There's tons of riding in that general area of town that'd be great fun on a CX bike, but for newbies, mountain bikes are far and away the most bang for the buck, fun-wise.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Palmer Park is very rocky. Even the easy trails there would be challenging on a CX bike (except the old closed roads on top of the mesa--and those would get boring quickly) .

The Santa Fe trail between COS and Monument is a popular trail for CX bikes. Black Forest Regional Park is also good. Still, I think you'd be better off borrowing a mountain bike and hitting Palmer Park.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Those 14yoa are spritely fvckers and even if not in good bike shape, will surprise you! To that end, I'd say rent. But don't rent the kid a POS of a bike to pop his cherry in Palmer. Nothing more frustrating and a HUGE turn-off to the sport than having a mechanical on the trail and having to walk back. You and I can debate about mechanicals being a part of the sport. But to the n00b, it's blah blah blah...what a PITA...blah blah blah...

Getting Fit
    Also,

Dont forget, Chayanne Mountain State Park, across Fort Carson main gate, have many trail for all skill levels.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMTB'r View Post
    Also,

Dont forget, Chayanne Mountain State Park, across Fort Carson main gate, have many trail for all skill levels.
    X2 many would be good for the cross bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldryder View Post
    I live in Wyoming but will be in Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks for a family reunion. My brother asked me if I would bring a couple of bikes to the reunion and go riding with his son, who is just getting interested in cycling. The son is 14 years old and has been a competitive swimmer for four or five years so he is in very good shape, but doesn't ride a lot.

The reunion will be at my aunt's house and she lives very close to Palmer Park, which, as I understand it, has many cycling trails.

Can someone tell me whether the trails at Palmer park are mountain bike only or whether a cyclocross bike would suffice? Also, are there paved trails that would accomodate road bikes? I ask because I have two road bike and two cyclocross bikes but only one mountain bike. If Palmer Park requires a mountain bike, I'll need to borrow one from a friend.

Thanks.
    I have personally ridden Palmer Point, Mesa, Yucca, and parts of Grandview trails on a 'cross bike without much issue; though, there was some hike a bike on Grandview. If his boy is not very good technically, I wouldn't recommend taking him on anything other than the trails I have listed above. I say bring the 'cross bike . . . .

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Riding Palmer on a cross bike is definitely do-able and I've done it on sections of almost every trail in the park with the exception of Edna Mae and Caretakers. Whether or not you have mtb bikes or cross ones, if you bring the inexperienced young'n you'll want to stick to the Palmer Point, Grandview, Mesa and the Greencrest trails as these are the easiest. Just remember even the easiest trails at Palmer all have some sections newer riders will find challenging with the exception being the Mesa trails area which are more like 8ft wide trails. Of course Mesa is also part of the open dog run area so you'll have to contend with that if you stay up there. One other thing, if you haven't spent much time in the park it's really easy to get lost (turned around) because many of the trails lack signage and there's no perfect trail map.

When you coming down, if I'm not working I would be willing to roll around with you all--PM me if you want.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You could probably rent a MTB at Criterium Bike Shop and show him a
    good time riding trails on a MTB as opposed to floundering with a CX bike.

Would hate to see him get discouraged his 1st time out.

Rental Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions. After further discussion with the nephew in question, I think that both his skills and interests lie outside of technical mountain biking. Consequently, I'll be taking either the road bikes or 'cross bikes and probably will not be hitting Palmer Park.

This leads to another question... is there a paved trail system (greenway, etc..) in Colorado Springs that has an access point anywhere near Palmer Park? Again, since I am not familiar with the area and since he is relatively new to riding (yes, he's always had a BMX bike but that's a bit different that what we want to do) I am no sure that hitting the open road is best.

Thanks again.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Colorado Springs has gobs of greenway trails--especially on the east side of town. Just be sure to carry a tube because some of them have lots of goatheads (little thorns).

These maps show some of the trails, but there even more out there. The Rock Island trail is near Palmer Park.

http://www.springsgov.com/units/park.../24x36ppgy.pdf
    City of Colorado Springs - Trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    kristian,

Thank you very much. Those references are what I need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    Colorado Springs has gobs of greenway trails--especially on the east side of town. Just be sure to carry a tube because some of them have lots of goatheads (little thorns).

These maps show some of the trails, but there even more out there. The Rock Island trail is near Palmer Park.

http://www.springsgov.com/units/park.../24x36ppgy.pdf
    City of Colorado Springs - Trails
    As is the Templeton Gap trail . . . I believe that both connect to the Pikes Peak Greenway trail, which runs the length of Springs and gives you access to a bunch of other paths/trails.

BLKSS29RGD
    Palmer is fine on a cross bike as long as you stick to the green trails. Most of the blues are OK too, but you'll have some dismounts.

Place is a beee-ach to figure out map-wise. I ride the place all the time and the map I still cannot understand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

North Cheyenne Canon & Stratton Open Space

Anyone know the trail conditions here? Wanting to ride Chutes, Captain Jack's & Buckhorn if dry. Appreciate any beta. THANKS!

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethie B View Post
    Anyone know the trail conditions here? Wanting to ride Chutes, Captain Jack's & Buckhorn if dry. Appreciate any beta. THANKS!
    they're all dry, rode yesterday morning and those trails are in amazing shape!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice! We were wondering about some of them since they're north facing. It'll be my 1st time riding there. What's your favorite loop/route?

Members who have read this thread: 0