Bad Case of the Mondays

Pull the big ring?

My big ring is largely unused and is starting to get pretty tweaked from the rock poundings it is subjected to.

Do you run a big ring on your trail bike? If not, do you have to run a bash guard to keep the chain on? Bash guard recommended?

Not really a weight issue, more of an issue of me not wanting my calf/shin to meet up with the teeth that have been ground into razor sharp flesh eaters.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    One of the first thing I did with my new Enduro trail bike was to remove the big ring and replace with a bash ring. If you have been pounding your big ring in the past and you don't install a bash ring, your middle ring will start to take the pounding.

Inflexable...

Big ring...

If you remove the big ring guess which ring will be next for the bashing?!

^^^^^ beat me to it...!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    One of the first thing I did with my new Enduro trail bike was to remove the big ring and replace with a bash ring. If you have been pounding your big ring in the past and you don't install a bash ring, your middle ring will start to take the pounding.
    Good point(s). I was just thinking losing the big ring would give me another inch or so of clearance, but I'm sure you are right the middle would soon start to suffer.

Any bash guard recommendations? Looking for something lighter, less burly as this is just a trail bike, no DH super-huck type stuff.

ride, eat, live
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Good point(s). I was just thinking losing the big ring would give me another inch or so of clearance, but I'm sure you are right the middle would soon start to suffer.

Any bash guard recommendations? Looking for something lighter, less burly as this is just a trail bike, no DH super-huck type stuff.
    First, I HIGHLY recommend losing the big ring. I never used it and it would get whacked trying to clear tech stuff, it was bent towards the middle ring and effing up my shifting....go with the bash guard IMHO

Race Face and TruVative make pretty light ones, i have used both bashgurads and they are basically the same (weight difference small).
    i'm the man from nantucket

mtbr member
    I would also recommend either the raceface or truvativ bashrings. The aluminum ones. They aren't very expensive and barely weigh more than your big ring.

Perpetually single track
    What everybpady else said...lost the big ring and rarely miss it, mostly on road sections when I'm completing some big loop. And it gives you a bit more confidence on things were normally your big ring would hit.

Bodhisattva
    I use my big ring frequently and wouldn't want to be without it, but if you don't use it then lose it & replace it with a bash guard or bash ring. If you want to keep the ring you can still fit a bash ring over it, like the Salsa or E-12. Larry has them.

locked - time out
    I came to the conclusion years ago that there was no sense in keeping a ring on my bike that was so toasted that it would only destroy my chain (and the rest of my drivetrain in the process) if I dared to shift into it.

contains quinine
    I was going to post a picture of a nice bashguard, but it turns out it's a ss chainguard. Since I dug for it I'm posting it anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

keep the ring until it fouls up the shifting like the above said...

then scrap it and get the bash guard.

just remember to never shift onto it! you may be able to adjust the front der stop to help you remember

mike, still lovin the new ride, wildman

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Chainguide

Two rings with a bash is nice but I would get a 2 ring chainguide like E13 DRS or the MRP LRP. You will get more chain tension and if it's setup right you will never drop a chain. I think the best combo of rings is a 24 tooth with a 36, you can run more than a 12 tooth difference but it makes shifting not as smooth. I've tried a few different combo's and the 24, 36 is money!

Not just famous; infamous

Don't need a big ring

If you're not using it, lose it. I had an XTR crankset that kept trying to remove some of my calf, so I swapped it out for a RF Deus with a bash. I still have the big ring. It's sitting unused in my toolbox

When I rode a hardtail or short travel bike, I used the big ring. Now that I'm on a 5" travel bike, I never use it and never miss it. Just an observation. It's probably because I get slower and fatter everyday

mtbr member
    I stopped using big rings years ago. The only reason you need a 44 tooth chainring is for the road or the Kamikazee. I have run 24t to 38t with no problem but am currently running a 36t big and have had no complaints. I have been using a grip shift front shifter so that i can have a little micro adjust. E-13 bashgaurd is light and durable. If you have a long travel rear suspension (6" or more) I would also recommend some type of chain-tensioning device as well (E-13 DRS or LRP). You do not have to worry about shifting up onto your changuide on accident because your derailluer has a high limmit screw so you can adjust the high shift right out. Also instead of putting your chain in small cog small chainring to get your chainleangth, go big cog big chainring (formerly the middle) and pull your rear derailleur almost completely extended. Make sure it's not so tight that it locks up. This will minimize rear derailleur slap from too much chain slack.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    When I rode a hardtail or short travel bike, I used the big ring. Now that I'm on a 5" travel bike, I never use it and never miss it. Just an observation.
    Ironic. I use my big ring more on my 6-Pack than I ever did on my Hammerhead because the bike is so much more stable at speed and I find myself descending faster & faster. I would have no problem losing it on the HH but I think I'd miss it on the Pack.

Outcast
    JDUB, lose the big ring adjust your front deraileur limit screw to keep you from shifting onto a bashguard, and don't look back. It also helps if the bashguard you get looks cool. This one is home made.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    It also helps if the bashguard you get looks cool. This one is home made.
    Home made? You must have a serious machine shop in your garage then...That looks like it was milled, where as my home made bash guard would likely be fashioned out of some corrugated metal and a pair of tin snips...

I've decided to definitely ditch the Squeaky, err I mean big, ring and go the bash guard route. I'm riding a 4.5" travel frame and I've only used big ring once or twice on the trails, mainly just use it on the road.

Thanks for the suggestions all, ding dong the big ring is dead.

Outcast
    Home made? You must have a serious machine shop in your garage then...That looks like it was milled, where as my home made bash guard would likely be fashioned out of some corrugated metal and a pair of tin snips...

okay, perhaps I should rephrase that. I made it at work; I'm a machinist, and yes, it was done on a cnc milling machine.

chicks dig bashrings!

Bodhisattva
    It's tough being the lone dissenter.
    I have no aversion to bash guards but think I'd miss the big ring. Maybe not, I dunno. Larry, Sean and the rest of the gang all have the big ring if that tells you anything.

Renny....nice machine work. Maybe you could mill out your RFX to look more like a 6-Pack.

locked - time out
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but you should shorten your chain accordingly once the big ring is gone, this will reduce chainslap and dropped chains.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I have no aversion to bash guards but think I'd miss the big ring. Maybe not, I dunno. Larry, Sean and the rest of the gang all have the big ring if that tells you anything.

Renny....nice machine work. Maybe you could mill out your RFX to look more like a 6-Pack.
    Thanks Squeak. I was thinking.... I could mill out that section of my bottom bracket to make my RFX look more like a 6 pack. It would be lighter too!

I find that the only time I miss the big ring is on downhill sections of road. Otherwise, my 190 pounds of lard is quite adequate for propelling me downhill. And I can't wait to run over some squirrels with my buzz-saw bashguard!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Yeah you guys all have the big ring, but you all also have more skills and legs than me too. If I start getting faster this summer (don't really have any other way to go) and I miss the big gear, then I can always throw it back on but I just never use it on the trail.

Food for thought regardless.

Bodhisattva
    Bottom Bracket height is also a consideration.
    Unsagged, my Titus is 13" and the Pack over 14."
    I don't know what you have on your Crackn'fail.

And please don't go telling Renny that I have skills. I much prefer to play the poser.

Outcast
    And please don't go telling Renny that I have skills. I much prefer to play the poser.
    What kind of skills? Riding? Writing?
    I have real good skills at consuming expensive ale!

Bodhisattva
    LOL. You and I share that in common.
    Been really digging Hazed n' Infused out of Boulder recently.

Outcast
    This is one of my favorites:

Beer Style: Russian Imperial Stout
    Hop Variety: Magnum, German Hallertau
    Alcohol By Volume: 12.2%
    Color: Black

Behold the stunning crimson hues through the inky blackness. Inhale the noble Hallertau hops, spicy and floral. Savor the flavors redolent of English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise. We highly recommend cellaring additional bottles, as the Czar will continue to mature and become denser and more complex with age.

2003 - Gold Medal - US Beer Tasting Championship - Imperial Stout

Bodhisattva
    Oooooooooh.

Looks, and sounds, nice. Almost makes what I drink sound like rat piss.
    I'd like to drink something that possesses stunning crimson hues and offers flavors redolent of English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise.

Where can I find that on the front range? I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for it.

Outcast
    I would think that most any liquor store that sells microbrew products should stock it; avery brewery is based in Boulder, so you should be able to find it up your way. It goes down real smooth; you don't even know that you're drinking a 12/13 percent alcohol brew untill it's too late!

Not just famous; infamous

... and if we just ... I love this forum

Where else can you start a conversation about big ring/bash ring and end up discussing beer Come to think of it, most of the threads here end up that way. That Czar looks tasty though, may hafta pick some up. I think County Line Liquors down in Littleton will let you mix and match a 6 pack of micros--it might be worth a trip

As for the decline of my use of the big ring, I'm not the 160 lb masher I once was. I'm now a 180+lb barcalounger [because of (everbody say it) beer] on a FS rig that doesn't require me to stand up anymore. That probably has as much to do with my big ring veto as anything else

Outcast
    Do note: The Czar is sold in 22 ounce bombers [well, kegs too!], so you won't find it in a six pack, and it ain't cheap [around $6.50] but damn, it's so tasty!

trail waggler

Another two ring vote...

If you have alittle time, and a belt sander or grinder, you can turn your big ring into a lightweight bashring. You get more clearance, and it glides over logs ALOT better. And like singletrack said, you can shorten your chain and move your drive side crank arm out for a better chainline.

If you ever ride with Front Range Migz, ask him to show you his "big ring" scar...very impressive!

And don't forget, Twisted Pine 'Hoppy Boy' (with a Beat Farmers chorus) is coming out in six packs!!
    Last edited by daveM; 04-28-2005 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    If you have alittle time, and a belt sander or grinder, you can turn your big rig into a lightweight bashring. You get more clearance, and it glides over logs ALOT better. And like singletrack said, you can shorten your chain and move your drive side crank arm out for a better chainline.

If you ever ride with Front Range Migz, ask him to show you his "big ring" scar...very impressive!

And don't forget, Twisted Pine 'Hoppy Boy' (with a Beat Farmers chorus) is coming out in six packs!!
    That's classic, you rock!

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    What everybpady else said...lost the big ring and rarely miss it, mostly on road sections when I'm completing some big loop. And it gives you a bit more confidence on things were normally your big ring would hit.

$$$$ This is now a third wheel !!!!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    My big ring is largely unused and is starting to get pretty tweaked from the rock poundings it is subjected to.

Do you run a big ring on your trail bike? If not, do you have to run a bash guard to keep the chain on? Bash guard recommended?

Not really a weight issue, more of an issue of me not wanting my calf/shin to meet up with the teeth that have been ground into razor sharp flesh eaters.

Thoughts?
    I don't miss mine, only lost the top 2 speeds, and gained an inch of clearance. Running a race face bash ring, and I like it. Still have all 3 on the hard tail, as I use it for riding around town, too.

I do small drops.
    They should make a smaller radius bashguard for those of you who are running your two smaller rings, that'd give you an extra 1/2 inch of space to not use said bashguard. So there's probably already one out there, and if nothing else, a CNC'd one someone made at work...

I run a bashguard/chainguide combo with the big ring only on my RMX, and it has the lovely single pivot design, so uphills are a challenge, but I love that big ring on the downs, it makes the climbs well worth it. If you're gonna do just a bashguard, though, I'd suggest middle and bigger tooth gears, then work into those rings and just go. That's what I'd do, some of my friends rock it that way. However, I'm definitely the least skilled or experienced rider here, so don't take my words for it.

Bike. AKA the other Mike.
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

trail waggler

Hey wait a minute, I thought this would be your brew...

One of Gordon Knight's best beers, man, he was a great brewer.

mtbr member
    I rode for three years with two rings up front and a smaller bash guard that replaced my big ring.

I'm doing a lot of commuting now (yes, on my 36lb "trail" bike). I just replaced my crankset with a triple up front protected by a big ring protector...I used the heck out of the third ring and the big ring protector in Moab last week.

It all depends on your riding style...I'd put some kind of protection on your crankset either way!

Here's the one I opted for:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...8&hprice=39.98
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me