Thread: Proud New Papa

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... Proud New Papa

ok folks, the moment you've all been waiting for....

(drum roll please...)

YES, it is finished, the search is over, my new baby has just arrived.

after 3 test rides, i still cant wait for my official "maiden voyage". and no, you cant come, cuz sure as you do, ill crash it right in front of you! but....definitely wanna hook up this weekend. supposed to be great weather.

ok, ok, the pics here you go....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

so, should i cut that seat tube off?

or wait till i graduate to REAL shoes (yes, im still using the 2 lb, rat traps from 10 years ago)

any recs on chain lube?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    or wait till i graduate to REAL shoes (yes, im still using the 2 lb, rat traps from 10 years ago)

any recs on chain lube?
    Congrats, I really never though you would ever make a decision, well done...

I wouldn't worry about the seat tube as long as the shock/tire can cycle through its range of movement without smacking the seat tube.

As for chain lube, I use TriFlow with good results. Works well and smells like bananas, how can you beat that?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ok folks, the moment you've all been waiting for....

(drum roll please...)

YES, it is finished, the search is over, my new baby has just arrived.

after 3 test rides, i still cant wait for my official "maiden voyage". and no, you cant come, cuz sure as you do, ill crash it right in front of you! but....definitely wanna hook up this weekend. supposed to be great weather.

ok, ok, the pics here you go....

oh so perty........

addict
    Apr 2004

sweeeeet!

all nice and shiny!

later, j

Cynical Bystander
    Nice to see you got it Mike! We need to ride Palmer this weekend.

I think I've even sat on that bike before when I was at ProCycling, felt pretty good if I remember...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Not just famous; infamous

Wink Finally!!

Maybe the rest of us can post now without you clogging up the system (just kidding, no hitting please)

You did a lot of research, now it's time to have fun on your new ride Hopefully I'll be able to hit Palmer with some of you guys in a couple of weeks. Of course, if this snow keeps coming down, it may be a while.

Be sure to ride the hell outta that fork and post the results. I'm probably gonna retire my Vanilla after this season, and the Zoke AM and Nixon are at the top of the list.

Of course, by the end of the season the '06s will be coming out

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks all...

snow! yeah, we got about an inch right now. go figure

oh well, at least i can look at her anytime i want now (she's in the living room)

keep your fingers crossed for sunday hopefully itll melt and dry up by then.

so far so good on the fork, i like it alot.

now you all will have to train me on setting up shocks and forks

wait, there is a stack of manuals here, maybe they talk about it....

on the seat post. i do wanna cut it off the bottom, but think i should wait till i get the max height dialed in first, adn that depends on new shoes i think. not sure when ill try out that type of system tho. gotta buy shoes, and you may recall a post i made regarding the time it takes me to find shoes!!! doh!

"here we go again....

actually id like some help on computers, im pretty anal, and so i wanna keep track of all my miles, times, speeds, etc.. wonder if the ones with altitude are very accurate. im wondering if a small gps might be even better, no wires, no calibrations, no getting lost. of course my gps that i have now is waaaaaay to big for biking. hmmmm....

thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

what!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Nice to see you got it Mike! We need to ride Palmer this weekend.

for sure....

I think I've even sat on that bike before when I was at ProCycling, felt pretty good if I remember...
    and i thought she was a virgin!!! man!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Very nice Mike, looks well built. Is the head tube a 1.5? looks like there are reuducers or something there. I've had luck with Cateye computers but there are a lot of good choices out there, Palmer tends to eat computers especially Temp. so I don't run one anymore on my MB but they are cool to have. You can ride those pedals with regular shoes too can't you? Anyway, nice rig and we'll have to hookup maybe this weekend if it stops snowing!

mtbr member
    Look at the garmin forerunner. GPS bike/running computer. keeps track of mileage, alititude, time, etc. Pricey but if it meets your needs............

Bad Case of the Mondays
    actually id like some help on computers, im pretty anal, and so i wanna keep track of all my miles, times, speeds, etc.. wonder if the ones with altitude are very accurate. im wondering if a small gps might be even better, no wires, no calibrations, no getting lost. of course my gps that i have now is waaaaaay to big for biking. hmmmm....
    I've had a Cateye Enduro, Specialized Turbo Pro and now a Polar 720i all in the last year or so. Here is my summary:

Cateye
    1. Tough and cheap. Mine looked like hell, but kept working flawlessly. Actually still on the wife's bike and still seeing trail miles.
    2. Doesn't have as much functionality, but very easy to use

Specialized Turbo Pro
    1. Loaded with functionality, wireless was nice and clean
    2. Altitude - The actual number that it showed for altitude was considerably off quite often, but the climbing ft was always very close even if I didn't recalibrate the correct altitude before I started.
    3. Not as easy to use as the Cateye, but that may have been because I was used to the Cateye
    4. Not cheap, retails for about $110

Polar 720i
    1. Bells, Whistles and then some - This thing has everything except GPS mapping. Heart Rate, Altitude (works well so far), speed, distance, temperature, averages, downloadable content, etc
    2. Budget buster - Retails in the $300 range, can be found in the $250 range.

If you don't care about heart rate monitoring, I'd just buy a GPS. I wanted something to help me train a little more effectively as I'm notoriously bad about hammering if I don't have a quantitative way to measure how hard I'm riding. If you are interested in tracking HR, then the Polar is pretty amazing. Plus it makes cool charts that tell you really eye-opening things like "I'm slower on the uphills" and "my heart rate seems to increase when climbing"....Totally revolutionary!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

gps and heart rate

heart rate, i figure if i fall over at the top of the hill, my rate is too high, if not, then its well within my 39.5 year old limit

rick, yes, 1.5 head tube w reducers for the nixon.

read some of the manual last night, dunno who translated this thing nor from what language, but here some info

bike will accept air or coil rear and 1.5 fork, DC is OK per manual. (future DHiller?) the rear shock has 150 and 170 mm travel positions. it is in the top postions now (sticker on bike says 170) but manual says top position is 150. careful examniation tells me the stickers are backwards. i would think that the lower mount would increase the travel. so all this time ive been in 150 mode. hmmmmm..

thanks for input on the computer/gps stuff. nah, i dont need HR but would like to download my riding (i do that with my current gps and see the track log where ive been, on delorme street atlas, pretty cool) id like to get one that prints out the hill profile (You know the little graph that shows the ups and downs and elevations, and distance etc)

so, yea, looking pretty bad for riding this weekend. unless, this fine colorado weather sun comes out melts away the dust and drys it all up

NOT

yall are great! thanks again

mike, CoSpr nitrous test pilot, wildman

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

forgot to tell you my nightmare last night...

i dreamed i was riding along, pedaling pretty good, and i looked down at my swingarm (but in the dream it wasnt like the scott's) and the vertical portions of the swingarm were flexing side to side, with every pedal stroke! they were flexing so bad, i saw them hitting the seat post on each side. bang, bang, drag, drag. i was freakin! and i thought, oh, no, i bought the wrong bike, the wrong bike! i didnt notice this on the 3 test rides! oh man, what am i gonna do, i gotta take it back and tell them i didnt see this!!! oooooo

then i woke up and realized it was just a dream, i went to the living room, took a quick look at hte nitrous, and even pushed on the BB sideways some.

yea, only a dream.

pheeewww!

so,,,
    palmer or ute sunday afternoon??

Cynical Bystander
    i dreamed i was riding along, pedaling pretty good, and i looked down at my swingarm (but in the dream it wasnt like the scott's) and the vertical portions of the swingarm were flexing side to side, with every pedal stroke! they were flexing so bad, i saw them hitting the seat post on each side. bang, bang, drag, drag. i was freakin! and i thought, oh, no, i bought the wrong bike, the wrong bike! i didnt notice this on the 3 test rides! oh man, what am i gonna do, i gotta take it back and tell them i didnt see this!!! oooooo

then i woke up and realized it was just a dream, i went to the living room, took a quick look at hte nitrous, and even pushed on the BB sideways some.

yea, only a dream.

pheeewww!

so,,,
    palmer or ute sunday afternoon??
    I'm in.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

that's it....

you mean, no more,

"great, so glad you found it!"

"excellent choice, hope you like it"

or even...

"man, im so glad he's done"

"take your new bike and ride the he11 off this board, we're sick of you"

??

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

actually im just bumping hte thread up....

can you tell im excited!!!!!

sorry, just wait till we get out on the trails, you;ll see....

Stand back

ok

can you tell im excited!!!!!

sorry, just wait till we get out on the trails, you;ll see....
    so where's the detailed ride report?
    you think you got your money's worth?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!