Yappy little dog!

Good job! Prairie rides remind ... NOW WITH VIDEO GOODNESS

Video from yestrday's ride: https://www.schnauzers.ws/green.wmv (50 MB)

I've been in Colorado for a year and have never been further south than Castle Rock. I didn't think there was anything between Denver and Palmer Lake to ride. I guess I was wrong. Having another Saturday off from band practice, I was originally planning another high country ride, but plans fell through. Having read the description of the Team Evergreen ride, I didn't think it was going to be all that exciting. A total of 500' of climbing? It sounded like one of the rides I used to do back east in Fair Hills, MD. Oh well, at least there will be some good conversation.

The ride was piecing together three open space areas in Douglas County, As I pulled off I25 and into the Greenland Trail Head, it definitely reminds me of rides back east. That is except for the shades of old west and Pikes Peak in the background.

A sizeable group arrives and it's off to the prairie.

The first trail starts out as a runway, but quickly changes to doubletrack and singletrack in locations.

It's getting hot on a very exposed trail, until we round a corner and head up a hill to an unusual resting place beneath the trees.

We take a break beneath the shade with views of the town of Palmer Lake and Pikes Peak.

After completing the loop, it's onto the Spruce Run Open Space,

Did you ever get the feeling you've seen something before? The Sound of Music on a bicycle.

This trail is all singletrack. Yes, it's not technical and not even a big altitude gain. Why does it always have to be a 2000' climb? This just brings back memories of riding through the cornfields in Maryland.

Not to keep everything too smooth, there is a short four mile loop along a ridge that rises from the prairie. It actually has a few rocky sections and some hard switchbacks.

And a great lookout spot!

Then it's back down to the prairie and some very fast singletrack back to the car.

Most of the group poses for the "I am hot and you are making me take a photo" shot.

Did I mention it was hot? The last two miles of this trail are back uphill in exposed sun and 93F!

GPS stuff:

Last edited by schnauzers; 06-24-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Yappy little dog!
    Added some video. Enjoy!

mtbr member

Question

Was the forested area part of this ride? I have been on parts of this ride but don't remember an area like this. Thanks.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ispymtnbikes
    Was the forested area part of this ride? I have been on parts of this ride but don't remember an area like this. Thanks.
    Yes, it is part of the ride (at least the Spruce Run area). I think (judging by the trails) it is new as was the last 8 miles of the ride. The string used to mark the trail for construction was still in place. It's nice to see that Douglas County didn't have the same airport runway mentality as JeffCo for the newest trail.

mtbr member
    looks pretty fun and possibly another good place to take my fiancee after we get her a bike. beginner friendly for the most part, i'm guessing...

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    looks pretty fun and possibly another good place to take my fiancee after we get her a bike. beginner friendly for the most part, i'm guessing...
    Except for the four mile ridge stuff (the forested area), it's very tame. We're talking a whopping 500' of climbing. You can pick up a lot of speed in some sections. It's not a crowded place, even on weekends. They have really nice facilities as well. Nice sheltered picnic area and POTABLE WATER!

mtbr member
    sounds like a good place to take her, minus the ridge.

Members who have read this thread: 0