Pole Hill- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pole Hill

Dutchman

Pole Hill

Anyone ever ride from Estes Park to Carter Lake on Pole Hill Road? I recently bought a Turner Sulton and looking for a good ride other than Old Fall River Road. Have already done Hermit Park and Homestead Meadows. Also Pierson Park (very hard), and Crosier Mountain Trail down to Drake (hard). I heard at the end of Big Elk Road (CR 41_ near Pinewood Springs there is a good MTB riding also.
    Pain is temporary but Pride is forever.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I used to ride the poll hill area quite a bit back in the college days. Never went all the way to Carter Lake though. I used to just cruise around on the jeep roads back in their. Seems like the first climb was always a pain but after that the area was not much to talk about. So I guess what I am saying is that I am of no help at all. I don't believe their was anything technical at all, just rutted jeep roads.

!Vamos, flaco!
    From when I looked into it, the road used to be a public county road and is now private and has been for some 20 years or so from just west of Pinewood Lake to just east of Estes Park. Also from my experience, people in that area do not take a liking to trespassing cyclists.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pabs is correct - that area is private property and has been for some time.

Hopefully that will be respected.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraine View Post
    Pabs is correct - that area is private property and has been for some time.

Hopefully that will be respected.
    Just to clarify, I haven't that road, though I'd love to and would jump at the chance to do so legally. I've ridden to where there are private property signs indicating the road is private. I got death glares from locals driving by. (I haven't looked into it, but I am really curious how a public county road went private.)

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Just to clarify, I haven't that road, though I'd love to and would jump at the chance to do so legally. I've ridden to where there are private property signs indicating the road is private. I got death glares from locals driving by. (I haven't looked into it, but I am really curious how a public county road went private.)
    The locals seem to hate the road bikers around that area (I've read lots and lots of incidents), so I'm not surprised at getting that reaction.

Seems a bit suspicious that a public road went private to me as well.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I think you should condemn it.

single track ****
    I've ridden it both ways, and it's great for making big loops. Not sure/ don't care if it's technically legal(several gates to hop), but I haven't been shot at yet I think there's a spur early on that can get one to the top of Round Mtn. too. Has anyone ridden that yet, or want to attempt to?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    I think you should condemn it.
    I shall issue a decree...

ride
    Pole Hill all the way thru is a poach. Technically even though it may have been open to traffic long ago, I believe it has always been private. There's houses on the east side but not much on top. Its ok bit I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Cr41 is Johnny Park. The only legal thing there other than the road is CoulsonGulch, you'll find it on most maps. Johnny Park road used to be fun like Pierson Park but they graded it recently so logging trucks can get in there.

Sounds like there are a couple of trails at Crosier that you still need to check out, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    The locals seem to hate the road bikers around that area (I've read lots and lots of incidents), so I'm not surprised at getting that reaction.

I have ridden up pole hill area a lot and never had any issue, but it was only road and no poaching.

However, the other side of the mountain is another story. There are some seriously entitled bumpkins up there.