mtbr member

Planning Help from the Locals

Alright, I'm looking for some help to plan some biking for 2009. I moved here about 4 months ago now from Cleveland, Ohio. I didn't get a ton of time to check out all the trails before the weather turned. In late spring or so, my dad and my brother are coming into town for a MTB vacation. My dad is looking to retire in the Fort Collins/Loveland area, so it's also a bit of a research trip for him. I need help with 2 things.

I'm looking for a bike shop that rents bikes for short periods. I need to find a shop where I can rent decent bikes for them for a week at a reasonable price.

Also, I need to fill up 5-6 days of riding focusing on the Fort Collins/Loveland area. The ultimate goal is to fill the week up with some epic riding in that area. I'm trying to plan out a week of MTB. Biking is a huge part of why he's looking to move there and I want to show him all the coolest places to ride. Problem is I don't quite know that area very well yet. I live about 45 minutes south of Fort Collins. Any recommended trails, trail descriptions, fun routes, directions to trail heads, etc, would be extremely helpful. Also, recommendations on places to get good food and beer are also appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-B

slow
    1. Spend a day at Horsetooth Mountain Park / Lory State Park
    2. Take a day and do the stuff up the Poudre (Youngs, Hewlett, Dadd)
    3. Do Devil's Backbone, BlueSky, Coyote/Rimrock together
    4. Don't miss Crozier, if the snow has melted
    5. Old Flowers Road and some of the rides around the Buckhorn area (Donner, White Pine) are a good day (if melted out)
    6. You could spend quite a bit of time doing the front side of the reservoir from town, and hit the skills park at Spring Canyon Park
    7. Bobcat Ridge - Ginny Trail

Edit to add:
    Good trails outside Laramie are not a long drive and there is more riding around the Redfeather Lakes area.
    See SumliminalShiver's website for good NoCo rides. Redstone Cyclery's website also has some good info on rides a little farther south.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    1. Spend a day at Horsetooth Mountain Park / Lory State Park
    2. Take a day and do the stuff up the Poudre (Youngs, Hewlett, Dadd)
    3. Do Devil's Backbone, BlueSky, Coyote/Rimrock together
    4. Don't miss Crozier, if the snow has melted
    5. Old Flowers Road and some of the rides around the Buckhorn area (Donner, White Pine) are a good day (if melted out)
    6. You could spend quite a bit of time doing the front side of the reservoir from town, and hit the skills park at Spring Canyon Park
    7. Bobcat Ridge - Ginny Trail

Edit to add:
    Good trails outside Laramie are not a long drive and there is more riding around the Redfeather Lakes area.
    See SumliminalShiver's website for good NoCo rides. Redstone Cyclery's website also has some good info on rides a little farther south.
    Ah thanks a lot man. This definitely helps. I'll look these up on trailcentral. Hopefully I can find all these without too much difficulty and try them out before they make it out here.

mtbr member
    I would put Bobcat Ridge - Ginny at the top of that list. Long, sustained climb, but as an out/back also makes for a long downhill!

Members who have read this thread: 0