Stiff yet compliant
    With the soil conditions at picture rock trail it is inevitable the trail will erode and become rockier and more Heil like in places. This doesn't have to mean a diminished quality trail.

BCPOS is revisiting the Walker Ranch Management Plan in 2009. We are working with OSMP to get a planning grant from GOCO for Eldo to Walker, but the State Park is not elgible for that money.
    Would this be an opening up of the existing trail, (what money would be needed to do that?) or an entirely new trail?

Dash, not cool.

mtbmike

Picture Rock is Four Months Old

From today's BMA Newsletter

As of this writing, the Picture Rock is 4 months old and under a blanket of snow. While BCPOS hasn't got hard numbers, we all know the pressures we are putting on this unique trail.

Picture Rock isn't like other trails in Boulder County's system. Along with the Wild Turkey Trail, these are the first that were built cooperatively with the public in a substantial way. From concept to finish, Boulder County took our input and delivered. We got this one right.

So now we have this trail that's unlike any other on Boulder County Open Space. It's tight, it's twisty, and one has to be on their game 100% of the time. We designed it that way.

So now the question is, "Do we want to keep it that way?"

This trail will showcase the impacts of mountain bike use; it doesn't take a formal survey to know we make up the majority of use on this trail. What do we want this trail to look like 5, 10, or 20 years from now? What we do today has everything to say about what our grandchildren will experience on this trail. So please, consider some changes to ensure everyone has a good time on their ride/hike and the land barely notices your passing.

Keep the Singletrack Single! Just one step off the trail and lean your bike over. Please avoid and encourage others not to widen the trail. BCPOS can't stop us from widening this trail.... but we can.

More people on the trail means slower speeds. Don't kid yourself by expecting a high speed ride on this trail. If you want to hammer the ride, please go somewhere else where the trails are wider and sight lines longer. Consider putting a bell on your handlebars.

Be Friendly and Expect to See Others. Remember the IMBA yeild sign? Bikes yield to everyone? Everybody on the trail knows this, in practice, doesn't happen the majority of the time. It's too easy for a hiker to sidestep and let you go by than any other scenario more times than not. What makes those encounters work is positive communication between the trail users. Eye contact works wonders as well. This is how we manage user conflict among ourselves.

Avoid Red Gulch Road Parking. BCPOS is still dealing with the neighborhood as they figure out where to place the permanent parking lot. Please consider parking elsewhere in Lyons, like the Park-n-Ride or Bohn Park.

Tread Lightly! We don't know what effect significant moisture will have on this trail because it simply hasn't gotten significant moisture since it's opening. It's quite likely that the southernmost section will have issues that will require us to stay off for longer periods. It is possible that a big section of this trail could shut down the entire trail to prevent and/or address water damage. Would we as the riding public be willing to support such an action? Nobody knows if these types of steps are necessary, or if BCPOS would ever take such a bold step. But as responsible stewards of the trail, we should have this as an option to consider.

Night riding is creating BCPOS enforcement activity - Complaints are being called in and enforcement is being stepped up. There are legal places to ride after sunset, please ride there. It's a bummer that we spend tax dollars chasing cyclists to write them tickets, but the political reality is that this law isn't going to change in our generation(we'd fight for it if we thought we could prevail), so be aware it's a $55 ticket.

Last of all, pat yourself on the back for Picture Rock. So many of you reading this newsletter actually worked on this trail and no doubt don't need to be reading all these admonishments that are meant for the very, very few that misbehave on the trail and others that have unreasonable expectations. But I hope you feel a little better for reading it, just like how good it felt for me to write it.

See you on the trail....

Mike Barrow
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Shattering Glass
    Night riding in Lyons. Only saw it on Youtube uhhummmm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last time I was out there I saw a ton of hikers and trail runners, maybe more of them even than bikers. Obviously a big demand for cool trails out there, anything in the works for 2009? I heard there might be a trail opened up eldo canyon to walker.

ride
    Thanks for the note, Mike. I'm also curious how PR will hold up with moisture and use combined.

Dash, had you come out to contribute some trailwork, you could've played along:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...all+trail+work
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Moosehead
    Come on Dash, are you really repeatedly calling out one of the best MTBR advocates in the front range for improper actions despite polite and proper responses, and permission following trail building?
    Last edited by moosehead; 12-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.

mtbmike

It's going to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    anything in the works for 2009? I heard there might be a trail opened up eldo canyon to walker.
    and in our lifetime. BCPOS is revisiting the Walker Ranch Management Plan in 2009. We are working with OSMP to get a planning grant from GOCO for Eldo to Walker, but the State Park is not elgible for that money. Yeah, this project needs 3 agencies to work together... it's like herding cats.

It will take some creative minds to make this happen. Look for the Dirty Bismarck to become reality first on the South side. Once Valmont Bikepark is done, I think the logical focus of our energies will be the Eldo to Walker Connection.

Betasso will have public meetings in January... look for the plan to be final by mid year. What do we want? Remember this line: "I want recreation opportunities maximized in the space made available for it." Say it out loud, say it often.

Why are we having all this success? Because we are organized, articulate, done our homework, and in the end we want to leave the place in a better condition than how we found it.

Join BMA today, because this is how we get chit done. www.bouldermountainbike.org
    Last edited by mtbmike1; 12-17-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for PR. The real thanks ought to be given to the fact that Halls is tolerable again due to more people over on PR, IMO.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbmike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    Would this be an opening up of the existing trail, (what money would be needed to do that?) or an entirely new trail?
    This will no doubt be the most diffcult and expensive 3 miles of trail ever built in Boulder County. The State park section is a half mile long and has 850 feet of elevation gain. That's the same amount of gain that Picture Rock does in 5.5 miles.

We paid a professional trail builder to evaluate the State Park section two years ago. A ridable, sustainable trail can be built in the space available, but it is serious trail building that won't be done by volunteers.

Some rock blasting and serious wall building will be involved.... and high consequnce exposure situations will be there too.

The original trail would be maintained for climber access. The trail would deviate to a longer line when it kicks up to slopes of more than 20%.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike1
    The State park section is a half mile long and has 850 feet of elevation gain
    Unless my math is bad (I haven't had my coffee yet) that's a 32% grade. That scares me.

mtbr member
    Wow, all this infomation is great. The park I'm really curious about is Betasso. I absolutly love that park. It is one of the first places I have ever mountain biked and whenever I'm in Boulder I try to get a quick 2 loops in. I would love to see if there are any other options with expanding there trail network.

Picture Rock is a great trail. If I had my way it would somehow connect right to Hall Ranch's parking lot. Thank you so much for all of this. If possible I would love to volunteer for Valmont bike park.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, Mike Barrow, for all you've done and are doing for Boulder County mountain bikers. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Rolling
    Mike, you are

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike1
    articulate, .... and get chit done.
    Glad to still see your devotion to the MTBR.com front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Unless my math is bad (I haven't had my coffee yet) that's a 32% grade. That scares me.

Their would be some pretyy kick ass switchbacks. Look at Falcon. It goes up close to 500 feet in a the first half of mile, but has series of switch backs which makes that possible.

Erik

Shattering Glass
    I thought it was funnier when I referenced it. And it is funny. So sorry, but this post is preaching to the choir anyway. Much complaining falls on deaf (already educated, passionate) ears on mtbr. If I had the Hall pass I would of rode... nevermind.

giddy up
    dash-hat, you should join us for the trail work not only to get a "Hall Pass" but to have a say in what and how the maintenence should be done. The more the better and it's alot of fun. I'll admit that the permission to ride at night enticed me but I would have done it anyway. We are the trail users and we need to be a part of the solution. Sorry to preach but it's absolutely true.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

Members who have read this thread: 0