The Notorious S.L.O

Performance Bicycle Performs!

ok, bought my NRS from Performance in Jan 06, Performance terminated their relationship with Giant, effective 1/1/06.
    I had a top shock bolt failure, which trashed the rockers, so I took it to a local shop that is currently a Giant dealer, to have the Giant rep decide that my failure was not covered in anyway, and to inform me that none of the needed parts were available any longer.
    I called another Giant shop, and their experience was that parts for the NRS were pretty much a non starter.
    I took it into the Performance in Littleton on Wads, they worked a week to find a suitable replacement frame, which was a challenge, as the NRS is a 22.5 XL frame. So the used their relationship with the domestic Giant HQ in Ventura CA, and were able to have Giant provide them the needed parts, as they challenged the claim that parts were no longer available.
    The parts were delivered to the shop yesteday, and they turned my bike around in a day, it is in the truck as we speak. The bike is back on the road, for zero dollars out of pocket.
    I have been a Performance customer since 1985, purchased no less than 4 bikes from them, and tons of stuff from the westside store since moving here in 2001. I will continue to support them, as they supported me during this exercise.
    I was not especially pleasant in my first exchange with the guys at the shop, and for that I am truly sorry.
    So, thanks to everyone there at Performance, Les, Jared, Kim and Michael back in Chapel Hill.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Awesome! I know there a few that knock Performance but they stand behind what they sell and have offered better customer service to me then some of the other shops around Their deals on cool weather clothing keeps drawing me back. Thanks for sharing!

now in superlight!
    Good for you, btad! I'm not an enthusiastic performance person- I scheduled with them to have my brakes bled- and they couldn't get it done on time...shouldn't take more than a couple of hours instead of 2 days....I am glad for you that your persistence and patience paid off and you're pedalling again...happy riding!!
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

mtbr member
    I'll agree that Performance prices are hard to beat. To me, they're kind of the Walmart of bike shops. I've never used them for wrenching, so I can't speak to that.

I prefer to support a small local shop where I know the people and they know me. Bicycles and bike repair are one of the few remaining consumer goods/services that are not being taken over by the mega-store national chain corporations. Performance is the only exception to that I'm aware of. I know a lot of the manufacturers are large corporations, but the retail end is still mostly local and locally owned. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like that.

I plan to support the small local guy as much as possible.

Maybe this is a place where we can lobby for some more government regulation. It seems we can never get enough of that. Just like liquor stores, there can be a rule that one owner cannot have more than one bike shop in the state.
    What, me worry?

The Notorious S.L.O
    [QUOTE=Sked]
    I plan to support the small local guy as much as possible.
    QUOTE]

I hear you, but I tried that route with a small local shop that is currently a Giant dealer.
    They worked with the local Giant rep, no warranty coverage and was told the parts I needed were no longer avail from Giant.
    Performance, who as a corporation, ceased their dealer realtionship with Giant on 12/31/05, was able to get parts from Giant, which I doubt came at no cost to them.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Having worked at the PB in the tech center, Its pretty much policy that you take care of a customer at all costs. (I cant speak for their policies present day)

The mechanics were top notch when I worked there the spring/summer of 2000 prior to leaving for AK...
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Perf. satisfaction guarantee is why I have been a team member for many.................years and why they have grown from a tiny nc mail order.
    I would love to support small bike shop and will occasions buy from them but you are usually on your own.

hehe ...you said "member"
    I second the props for the Wadsworth/Bellview shop. Have bought a bike for my wife and one of my kids there. They're always helpful and friendly.
    Their sale prices are usually some of the best deals around.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The PBS in Fort Collins is like a LBS.

The associates are knowledgeable, friendly, and cyclists themselves.

The technicians are expert.

They go the extra mile to help you, even though they wish they could be out riding rather than working in the store (which is a good thing, if you think about it).

All on top of accountability to wider organizational policies and objectives to be competitive on a national level (price match, specials, ship-to-store/Red Phone, good shopping experience, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee).

banned
    I think there's a big difference between going to the store and shopping online. I think it's cool that they went that far.

Members who have read this thread: 0