mtbr member

Palmer Park...where do I park?

Excuse my ignorance in advance, but I just moved to Colorado Springs...

I'm planning on heading up to Palmer Park at 10:00am tomorrow morning (Saturday, 3/24), but...where do I park? If anyone would like to come out, please do! I could use a schooling!

Also...is there a local site for trail info?

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Candlestick Maker
    Three common parking places are marked at this map:

Maizeland to Paseo Rd - Google Maps

A - a big parking lot near the playgrounds off of Maizeland
    B - park on side of road in neighborhood off of Austin Bluffs
    C - small parking lot just past the stables inside the park

I usually park at B.

Enjoy your ride. I don't have any particular recommendations besides to just get out and explore the maze of trails.
    baker

banned
    Oct 2004
    LMGTFY

1st link will show parking. When I went (only been twice), I parked at a point between B and C... From the Meadows (baseball and soccer fields) parking area, head into the park on the paved road. Take the 2nd rt turn onto dirt. After taking the right where paved road turns to dirt, take another right at the next intersection and there's a little parking area to the right (200ft downhill). It has (a bit of) tree cover so your car won't be an oven when you come back to it. Ride up that little hill behind where you parked...up to the last road you made a right off of, and drop into the trails on the other side, enjoy

Might head down tomorrow, but kinda in a road riding mode at the moment...

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    I think B on Baker's list is the best place to park too, but you probably won't find a spot there on Saturday. People park on the street right outside that parking lot too, but again, you probably won't find a spot.

The nice thing about both A and B on Baker's list is that they are on the ends of the park so all you need to do is find the paved road and follow it back to your car. That being said, there are about 2 dozen parking lots throughout the park so park whereever you can but remember where it is relative to the entrance.

If you're looking for black diamond technical riding, Templeton Trail on the north mesa is the best trail. However, even if your goal is Templeton, I would suggest following your nose for at least half the ride and exploring. You can't get lost and there are trails everywhere (I'm going on 20 years of riding there and I still find new stuff). I'd offer to give you a tour, but Sunday is my riding day.

mtbr member
    For a newbie to the area, just find a land marker in case you get mixed up. The dog park or stables are always good to park near, as you can always ask someone you see on the trails for direction help if you must. There are several bike shops in the area that carry trail maps for Palmer...Happy Riding and welcome to the Springs

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! I can't wait to get out there!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Thanks guys! I can't wait to get out there!
    Andrew's right...can't get lost.
    I showed up there w/o a map and can't even remember that road! Did have to do some walking on Templeton and Edna Mae. Good times! Gonna give Chimney/Apex a go tomorrow instead, and shoot for Palmer on Sunday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Perfect, thanks man!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sand Creek Sports will be organizing three races at Palmer Park this summer and course maps are at Sand Creek Sports - Mountain bike racing in Colorado

BLKSS29RGD
    I ride from my downtown COS home so leave the car parked in the garage

If worse comes to worse on the parking situation at the park, just park in the church parking lot at Union and Paseo, NW corner, and ride the half mile to the trails entering from the west side.

Members who have read this thread: 0