wants a taco

Palmer Lake camping locations?

I am hoping to do a weekend bike tour with the family to Palmer Lake but can not find any good info online about places to camp there. I would like to be close to the lake if possible and a campground with some goodies like flush toilets and running water would certainly make things easier with the little one. Any good recommendations?
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

I think I can.

Slim to none to be honest

What is your timeline, are you bringing a trailer or tent camping?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

wants a taco
    I am pedaling up the Sante Fe Trail and tent camping. We will be there wed night and thurs morning. I have found some places I could pitch a tent but with a toddler and a wife that is already having some anxiety over her first bike tour I am hoping to find a place with flush toilets and running water. If there is no such thing in Palmer Lake I would be open to sites around Monument but I keep hearing about how beautiful Palmer Lake is.
    The Long Way Home

Candlestick Maker
    I can't think of anything in the area that fits the bill. There used to be a nice organized campground at monument lake, but it closed for commercial/residential development (which hasn't happened yet).
    baker

mtbr member
    No formal campgrounds in or near Palmer Lake. I've only seen people camp around the lake during the 4th of July celebration, so I'm not sure if it is allowed or not. Recommend to contact the town (The Town of Palmer Lake, Colorado)

If camping is allowed, there are some trees on the west side between the train tracks and HWY 105 that provide some shade, or on the south side of the lake. There is a bathroom with running water along the Santa Fe Trail (east side) near the playground equipment that could make things easier, not sure when they open the bathrooms for the season. Again, you may want to ask the town about that too.

wants a taco
    Thanks for the input, I sent the Town an email Saturday and am hoping for a response today.
    The Long Way Home

wants a taco
    Thanks for the input, I sent the Town an email Saturday and am hoping for a response today. If Palmer Lake looks like a no go is there another place somewhere along the Sante Fe Trail you would recommend that my wife and kid may enjoy?
    The Long Way Home

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Thanks for the input, I sent the Town an email Saturday and am hoping for a response today. If Palmer Lake looks like a no go is there another place somewhere along the Sante Fe Trail you would recommend that my wife and kid may enjoy?

Although camping is not technically allowed in County Parks, when it comes
    to bike touring on a regional trail they might be understanding of your
    situation. There's only one security guard for the entire county. You'll
    probably have more trouble with the homeowners next to the lake or
    the Palmer Lake PD if they think you are breaking park rules.

Also, I don't know if the bathrooms at Palmer Lake are open yet, or if the
    water is turned on. Palmer Lake Park/Santa Fe Trail are County Park
    facilities so I would contact the County Parks Dept. @ 520-7529. Ask to
    talk to Jerry and bypass the receptionist who will probably just give you
    the standard "no camping allowed" line.

You'll never know unless you ask.

Also I think the restrooms automatically lock after dark.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know it is not camping but there is a newer hotel on Babtist road not to far from the trail. Just google Fairfield Monument, CO

wants a taco
    Thanks again for the tips, it looks like the closest place that is currently open is Jellystone but that is a bit far for the wife to pedal right now, maybe we will give it a go in a few months.
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    nub, I live right next to Palmer Lake (town and lake). Its not setup for over night camping, only facilities is a bathroom with a water fountain. I think your best bet is to check out the Inn at Palmer Divide, The Inn at Palmer Divide located 1/2 south of lake right on the Sante Fe trail.

From there you can ride south 30+ mi to Colo Sprgs or north into the Douglas County open space. All the trails are easy and kid friendly.

Town of Palmer Lake has several bars, coffee and country stores, town of Monument (3mi south on trail) has larger stores and fast food.

Let me know if you want more info.

wants a taco
    Thanks for the info, The Inn at Palmer Lake looks nice but is more money than I would like to spend. If we are wanting to find a regular campground it seems the Santa Fe Trail is not the best option. Any ideas for a little weekend mini tour from Colorado Springs to a camp ground (or really just anywhere with toilets)? I think my wife would be good for about 30ish miles. We did 20 yesterday and she felt good. I am new to CO and am still trying to figure the area out.
    The Long Way Home

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Thanks for the info, The Inn at Palmer Lake looks nice but is more money than I would like to spend. If we are wanting to find a regular campground it seems the Santa Fe Trail is not the best option. Any ideas for a little weekend mini tour from Colorado Springs to a camp ground (or really just anywhere with toilets)? I think my wife would be good for about 30ish miles. We did 20 yesterday and she felt good. I am new to CO and am still trying to figure the area out.

There is a rails-to-trails trail going east of Colorado Springs (well, probably east of Falcon). I'm not sure how far it goes, but you might be able to ride to Calhan or something. I think there is an RV/tent campground in Calhan. It's not the most senic ride though....

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    I think the Rock Island Trail out east ends at Peyton. I am not sure of how to connect between COS and Falcon unless you ride some road for quite some distance. Looks like the old rail goes through some private property in Peyton now. You could jump on some dirt roads north of Peyton and make your way to Calhan. There is the campground at Cadillac Jacks right on Hwy 24.

There may be a way to rejoin the RI trail after Peyton that I am not aware of.

You could look at finding an entry point to Rampart Range road about 30 miles south of Indian Creek Trailhead. Then ride Rampart Range road to the campground were it ends at the TH.

C

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    There is a rails-to-trails trail going east of Colorado Springs (well, probably east of Falcon). I'm not sure how far it goes, but you might be able to ride to Calhan or something. I think there is an RV/tent campground in Calhan. It's not the most senic ride though....
    That's the Rock Island Trail. Start's downtown near my house and goes to about Powers right now in the City, then the County section starts again in Falcon and goes to Peyton. From there you have to get on Hwy 24 to get to Calhan.

Personally, I would look at the Fountain Creek Trail/PP Greenway/Santa Fe Trail.

Maybe start around Woodmen on the Santa Fe Trail and head south as it turns into the Pp Greenway through town, and then turns into the Fountain Creek Trail once it goes back into the County south of C/S. Maybe @ 22miles?

You could start further north if you need additional miles. Maybe Northgate at the AFA? That would add an extra 7~8 miles.

The one upside of going South is that it's all downhill.

IIRC there is a KOA campground on the I-25 service road just south of Hwy 16/I-25 (across the creek from Fountain Creek Park/Fountain Creek Trail).
    Click Here
    I would call first as I'm unsure if it's still open.

To help you get there.
    Once you are on the Fountain Creek Trail south of Colorado Springs, and start getting into Widefield, the trail will go east across Fountain Creek on a bridge that is shared with a water pipeline. Don't go across the bridge.
    Go west to the I-25 service road and continue riding south on the service road. Go across Hwy 16 at the light and continue south. The campground is about 1~2 miles down the road.

I've attached a map for you.
    Green are City Trails, red are County.

Also HERE is a Google "bike map". I don't know how to make the trail directions work though. It gave on road directions.
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 06-22-2012 at 08:56 PM.

wants a taco
    Uncle Trail, that looks about perfect. If weather holds out hopefully we can make the trip in a couple weeks. The cabins look fairly cheap too so that could make a very easy transition to bike touring with my wife. Thanks for the info.
    The Long Way Home

Members who have read this thread: 1