Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: preparation_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    770

    And out of the woodwork they come!

    Just a heads up!
    two quick reminders!
    1. You look like a fool if you wear body armor on mt falcon.
    2. Don't ride w/o your helmet. You will make the guy wearing armor look smart!

  2. #2
    dwj
    dwj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    312
    what if i wear my body armor with out my helmet.

  3. #3
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,870
    Makes you a smart fool. Duh!

  4. #4
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,724
    I don't see what's wrong with shuttling Mt Falcon - I mean, it's not like there's ever heavy uphill / pedestrian traffic there. And the trail is well off the beaten path - it's not like it's in downtown Morrison or anything. And besides, the run is so technically advanced that only the most skilled of hardcore downhillers could negotiate such a beast - it's not like a person could do mach 2 down the thing riding a hardtail or anything...

    And besides, downhilling heavily used public trails is extreme and trail preservation is so 2003 - so STFU!! - uh, yeah....






  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: .thumper.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,404
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I don't see what's wrong with shuttling Mt Falcon - I mean, it's not like there's ever heavy uphill / pedestrian traffic there. And the trail is well off the beaten path - it's not like it's in downtown Morrison or anything. And besides, the run is so technically advanced that only the most skilled of hardcore downhillers could negotiate such a beast - it's not like a person could do mach 2 down the thing riding a hardtail or anything...

    And besides, downhilling heavily used public trails is extreme and trail preservation is so 2003 - so STFU!! - uh, yeah....





    Yeah - thank you, Josh. I shuttle the Cherry Creek trail all the time and wear my full body armor and full-face helmet and nobody seems to mind!
    Last edited by .thumper.; 03-12-2005 at 07:43 PM.

  6. #6
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,724
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Yeah - thank you, Josh. I shuttle the Cherry Creek trail all the time and wear my full body armor and full-face helmet and nobody seems to mind!
    Yeah - but do you "Do the Dew"?


    I can hear it now

    "Dude, we're shuttling Cherry Creek, meet us at 3pm"

    "Which end is our drop off point?"

    "Sheeesh - well duh - which way does the water flow? That's gotta be downhill."

  7. #7
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,842
    ooooh! bike snobbery moments!

    had some of those today at hall; watched a lot of folks walking down stuff that i was riding up.

    meh. doesn't change the fact that i'm still a hack though.

    *dave, who was wearing a helmet, but no armour*
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  8. #8
    My cup runneth over
    Reputation: rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Just a heads up!
    two quick reminders!
    1. You look like a fool if you wear body armor on mt falcon.
    2. Don't ride w/o your helmet. You will make the guy wearing armor look smart!
    1. Given the spectacular crashes I have seen on Mt. Falcon - quite the opposite.

  9. #9
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,200

    yeah!

    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    1. Given the spectacular crashes I have seen on Mt. Falcon - quite the opposite.
    I had the front wheel wash out on me coming down over some waterbars a few years ago (I blame the '00 SID XC fork's lack of torsional integrity) and chewed on some rocks. 10 stitches in the chin and 2 broken teeth had me wondering if maybe I should start wearing a full face.
    I went back up a few days later and did manage to find a piece of one of my teeth. If I hadn't lost it in the house I was going to make a necklace out of it. Ahh, maybe it's better it's gone...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,724
    Just for the record, my sarcastic first post was directed at those blazing this congested trail on big bikes without concern for the possible consequences to other users, not those who prefer their flesh on their bodies and would rather be safe than sorry..

  11. #11
    all end up here someday
    Reputation: ladge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Just a heads up!
    two quick reminders!
    1. You look like a fool if you wear body armor on mt falcon.
    2. Don't ride w/o your helmet. You will make the guy wearing armor look smart!
    Is that a double standard or something? One kind of safety equipment is dumb, but another is smart? Makes perfect sense to me.

    I had a bad wreck there maybe three years ago. Luckily I did wear a bit of armor that day and was very happy I did after the wreck. I only periodically will ride at xc places with armor, usually limited to leg or elbow armor and only after I pedal up the hill and am heading back down.

    Here's a better heads up -

    1. Newbies suck.
    2. Follow the rules of the trail.
    3. Base impressions on how people act, not how they look.

    Last time I went biking I made the mistake of doing the dakota ridge/matthew winters thing. Three separate groups of people told me that I was the ONLY person on a bike that day that slowed down or just pulled over and yielded for them. That's a problem. Then at the last gully ( or first if you start at matthew winters ) I saw first hand what kind of jerkoffs were there. Two bikers coming up the gully, with a group of people coming up in back of them, and yet another group of people coming down the other side of the gully. There were three hikers in front of me heading towards the two bikers coming up. I just pull over to let everyone get by each other. Some jackbait decides I'm slowing down so he can pass, so he passes me heading for the crowd of people. I told him he was a dick and to watch out for the people - and he acts like I did something wrong? He proceeds to weave his way down through the uphill traffic, forcing the hikers to get to the side and making the two bikers coming up have to swerve off the trail ( no wonder the singletrack around here looks more like double track anymore ). Needless to say I heard a few negative comments from the people after that, as they walked by and gave me crusties for being "guilty by association".

    He wasn't on a big DH bike, so then it must have been ok, right? Oh, and he was smart because he had a helmet and no armor.....
    Last edited by ladge; 03-15-2005 at 11:50 AM.
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

  12. #12
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,636
    Quote Originally Posted by ladge
    Some jackbait decides I'm slowing down so he can pass, so he passes me heading for the crowd of people. I told him he was a dick and to watch out for the people - and he acts like I did something wrong? He proceeds to weave his way down through the uphill traffic, forcing the hikers to get to the side and making the two bikers coming up have to swerve off the trail ( no wonder the singletrack around here looks more like double track anymore ). Needless to say I heard a few negative comments from the people after that, as they walked by and gave me crusties for being "guilty by association".
    Oh yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine. I try to be overly cautious around peds, and then someone comes by and scares 'em anyway. What a bummer.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 10:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.