Tribe member

OT: Derailleur Adjustment

So I had some problems with my rear derailleur not shifting correctly. I got that tuned back up. I then noticed that the cable to the front derailleur was splitting so I just replaced it and tuned it up today. However, now it won't back pedal smoothly and it just pulls the rear derailleur until the chain finally rolls back a section (only to repeat again). What do I need to do to fix this issue? Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Won't back pedal in which gears? All of them or just some. Don't understand what you mean by "just pulls the rear derailleur until the chain finally rolls back a section ". It's not uncommon for chain to jump gears when back pedaling since there is nothing to make it stay in place. But it may remain on the same cog depending on what gear you are in. Why are you back pedaling?
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

..ouch
    I *think* I understand your question.. Assuming so, first check that you threaded the chain correctly between the rear dérailleur pulleys so it's not dragging on anything (like over the retainer pieces on the swingarm). Second, make sure the dérailleur pulleys spin freely and haven't been overtightened. If it's not either of those, try adjusting in your "B" screw to provide more clearance between the top dérailleur pulley and the cassette. If this still doesn't help then I'd guess your indexing is probably off. A couple times I've seen this due to the indexing being off by a entire gear and/or a bent hanger screwing up the chain alignment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did you check to make sure that the link where you separated and reconnected the chain is articulating smoothly? If not, wiggle the chain side to side until the pin and plates re-seat, and all links roll without hitching or snagging.

Now with 10% more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    Did you check to make sure that the link where you separated and reconnected the chain is articulating smoothly? If not, wiggle the chain side to side until the pin and plates re-seat, and all links roll without hitching or snagging.
    Make sure when you do this it bends but doesn't break!

Tribe member
    Thanks for all the tips and advice. As for the chain and links. It was just fine. I didn't replace it though I probably should in the near future. I think it must have be something with how I had tuned the derailleur. I decided to go through the steps all over again and I can get it to backpedal fine now and shifts up/down most gears fine but misses on a couple. I think I'll just have to take it in to my bike shop and ask if I can watch them tune it to see if I'm doing something wrong. Then again I intend to upgrade it as well since it's just a cheap stock derailleur.

Thankfully it worked just fine for my ride today. Did Matthews/Winters and part of Dakota Ridge. Weather and trail are great. Though there are a few sections at MW that were pretty icy and slippery up Morrison Slide.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!

mtbr member
    Assuming your derailer hanger is not bent, sounds to me like you need to adjust your cable tension. Your symptoms seem to point to this. This is very difficut to write about, but very common and much easier for a shop to explain (& give 'em some beer/mtn dew). If you're a true do it yourselfer, try to google derailer adjusting or maybe some of the other forums.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

..ouch

quick indexing

Put your bike in a stand and shift to the middle gear in front and second largest cassette gear on the rear. While pedaling the bike by hand, turn the barrel adjustment for the RD counterclockwise until the chain starts to rub and skip against the largest cassette gear (like it's about to upshift), then back it off by quarter turns until the rubbing stops. You want the tension as tight as possible without skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by feltbee
    .. shifts up/down most gears fine but misses on a couple.
    PS - the fact that it's skipping gears often means that your indexing is an entire gear off. This would explain the backpedal issue as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0