t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

OT computer question

Ok, no surprise i'm not a computer genius, but I can paint the straightest lines you've ever seen!

Question is: on Gmail keystrokes are sooooo slow. Not here on mtbr or on a wordpad document, what is the deal? Running windows vista - It is on a laptop I don't have a ton of pictures on here or a ton of music. Did a little searching on gmail and read similar issues with other users but found no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im heading out the door now so won't be able to check this till later.

thanks alot!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Now with 20% more fat!!
    What browser are you using? Perhaps test it out on another browser to see if there is any difference. So if you are using Internet Explorer as your default browser (jeebus forbid), then give Firefox or Safari a try. I'm curious if it is a system or browser related thing.

For sh*ts and giggles: you are running up to date antivirus, some adware/malware app, and keeping Windows Vista up to date.... right?

Pivot Rider
    I'm running Windows Vista on a laptop and have no issues at all -- now. However, I recently did have to do a Vista System upgrade to get everything working properly. This upgrade is separate from the auto updates you do......
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Card Carrying Member
    cleared all temp files and defragged lateley?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Ok, no surprise i'm not a computer genius, but I can paint the straightest lines you've ever seen!

Question is: on Gmail keystrokes are sooooo slow. Not here on mtbr or on a wordpad document, what is the deal? Running windows vista - It is on a laptop I don't have a ton of pictures on here or a ton of music. Did a little searching on gmail and read similar issues with other users but found no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im heading out the door now so won't be able to check this till later.

thanks alot!

First thing I tell everyone:

REBOOT

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    format c:\

Awesomist™
    Just be careful not to ctrl-alt-delete anything, or Google yourself in the closet... I hear that can be painful. Good luck!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member

c'mon, someone has to say it...

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt

Naw - that junk's lame.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Just to add to your paranoia PBR....Could be you have a Keystroke program logged into your computer from all that XXX viewing you do.

Heathen
    just post your username and password. Someone here will fix it for you. ;-)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Its an issue with Firefox and Gmail... Gmail works differently than a conventional web page and gets stuck in a non responsive script sometimes. A warning comes up and asks if you want to abort the script, but you need to close the window and re-open Gmail. Its annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Running windows vista - It is on a laptop I don't have a ton of pictures on here or a ton of music.
    FWIW, there seems to be a common misconception out there that having a lot of files (pictures, music, etc.) will impact performance of you computer. This is pretty much untrue. All of those things reside on your hard drive, which is non-volatile memory. Slower performance could be a symptom of not having enough available RAM, volatile memory. Your pics and music will only consume RAM when you're actually viewing / listening, but the amount of memory required is negligible compared to the average RAM on a computer today.

I think you should get the newest version of your browser, try a different browser side-by-side (I use Opera and Firefox), and look into whether you might have a real problem like a keylogger. I use the following (all are free or have free versions): Spybot, AVG Anti-Virus, ZoneAlarm firewall.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Thanks for the help!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Members who have read this thread: 0