mtbr member
    Nov 2008

OT: Best way to Crested Butte

Tomorrow, I'm heading down to Crested Butte for some skiing. I'm picking up a friend at DIA at about 1:30. What's the best way to get there this time of year? Thanks in advance

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Noonan View Post
    Tomorrow, I'm heading down to Crested Butte for some skiing. I'm picking up a friend at DIA at about 1:30. What's the best way to get there this time of year? Thanks in advance
    The long way, or via Gunnison.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Team Velveeta™

Do you have a snowmobile?

That's an easy one. The best way to go is pretty much* the only way this time of year. Take 285 across South Park to Poncha Springs, then turn west on Highway 50 to Gunnison, then North on State highway 135.

The alternate, going over Cottonwood Pass and using Jack's Cabin cut-off isn't an option right now. Cottonwood Pass is closed during winter.

* You can go up I-70 to Copper Mountain and take 91 to Leadville, then 24 down to Buena Vista, then 285 to Poncha. It's more miles but about the same driving time, however that pretty much assumes that you can haul booty on I-70. But check road conditions. South Park can be kind of crazy with wind and black ice (right now it's showing as dry on CoTrip). And occasionally they even close it (not likely to happen tomorrow).
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Too late..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT and a Norco Threshold SL with Di2

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    That's an easy one. The best way to go is pretty much* the only way this time of year. Take 285 across South Park to Poncha Springs, then turn west on Highway 50 to Gunnison, then North on State highway 135.

The alternate, going over Cottonwood Pass and using Jack's Cabin cut-off isn't an option right now. Cottonwood Pass is closed during winter.

* You can go up I-70 to Copper Mountain and take 91 to Leadville, then 24 down to Buena Vista, then 285 to Poncha. It's more miles but about the same driving time, however that pretty much assumes that you can haul booty on I-70. But check road conditions. South Park can be kind of crazy with wind and black ice (right now it's showing as dry on CoTrip). And occasionally they even close it (not likely to happen tomorrow).
    Yup - in winter I'd put the order of preference:

1.) 285->Hwy 50
    2.) I70->Hwy24-Hwy50 (if the weather is really $hitty)
    3.) I25->Hwy50 (if the weather is really really $hitty)

Now this is assuming "normal" $hitty weather. Unusual $hitty weather and that order could change. You gotta use your brain.

Team Velveeta™

The 115

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    3.) I25->Hwy50 (if the weather is really really $hitty)
    Only revision I'd offer, if your brain persuades you to go the safe south route, get off I-25 at Nevada in Colo Springs and cut over to 50 on CO 115 (never, EVER referred to by Coloradans as the 115)
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Only revision I'd offer, if your brain persuades you to go the safe south route, get off I-25 at Nevada in Colo Springs and cut over to 50 on CO 115 (never, EVER referred to by Coloradans as the 115)
    Good point. I've never actually resorted to this route... but that is the "correct" method of getting to "The" 50.

friend of Apex
    Best way from DIA? Skip drivin and hop a flight to Gunni, get sauced on the way.

http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/...r-Schedule.pdf
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Best way from DIA? Skip drivin and hop a flight to Gunni, get sauced on the way.

http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/...r-Schedule.pdf
    Don't forget from Gunni to CB: Welcome to Alpine Express

See if the driver will stop by the Wet Grocer on the way up to the Butte.

Members who have read this thread: 0