OT backcountry skiing near front range- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

OT backcountry skiing near front range

Wanted to see if there are any people here, that backcountry ski and if i can get some info. I am done with fat biking in winters and wnated to get into bc skiing, but i am totaly new to it. I am decent skier and boarder but never done bc. Thinking just of geting a setup off of cl to get started but wanted to see if there are places near front range that actually hold snow in winter, something within 1 hr driving distance?. I am taking avy course but would prefer areas with low avy risk. I dont mind if it is just a flat or low incline. Thanks

Formerly of Kent
    Cameron Pass up 14 is where everyone in Fort Collins goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    A little over 1 hr from Denver, but the closest I can think of are Berthoud Pass (off Hy 40 on the way to Winter Park), Dry Gulch-Mt Trelease (Loveland Ski Area exit on I70) or Loveland Pass (not so much for skinning up, this is a shuttle/hitch a ride up deal), none of which avoid regular ski traffic unfortunately. There might be other options (St Mary's Glacier maybe on a good year) but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    New to Colorado since 1993.

Moderator Moderator
    An hour from where exactly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    An hour from where exactly?
    preferably within 1 hour drive from Golden. traffic not that big of an issue, it would be during week days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Way back in the day, we used to drive up past Tolland and XC ski up some trail that disappeared into the forest. I think it was the trail to Crater Lakes but my memory is really foggy about all that, this was years ago.

You take Rd. 16 west out of Rollinsville (aka Tolland Rd or East Portal Rd) towards the Moffat Tunnel. I just remember the snow being real deep and the quiet almost deafening.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

My cup runneth over
    On good snow days, you can skin up boring ol' Green Mountain and get some runs in: OT backcountry skiing near front range-20191127_122532.jpg - this was last Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote from my BC skiing buddy:

"If you ride with a jackass, they'll hurt themselves. If you ski backcountry with a jackass they will get you killed".

CO's snowpack is about the most dangerous in north america so make sure you're with someone who knows what they're doing...and don't get them killed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    On good snow days, you can skin up boring ol' Green Mountain and get some runs in: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191127_122532.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	1296143 - this was last Tuesday.
    yeah, totally fine with me, like i said, i dont need steep slopes, just need something to get moving, even thinking of doing resort and skin it up just to get feel of it. are any of the higher elevation dirt roads an option at all? like from silver plume to valdorf mine, webster pas or such, or jones pass road.

My cup runneth over
    There are a couple of books and forums proving guides, here's one: (https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-S..._df_1594858829).
    I have skinned at Loveland and A-basin. They are good learning options for getting going and testing your fitness but you need to get there pretty early (usually skinning up in the dark). They also close 'uphill access' with little notice sometimes. I did it once before work but was barely functional once I got into the office.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    There are a couple of books and forums proving guides, here's one: (https://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-S..._df_1594858829).
    I have skinned at Loveland and A-basin. They are good learning options for getting going and testing your fitness but you need to get there pretty early (usually skinning up in the dark). They also close 'uphill access' with little notice sometimes. I did it once before work but was barely functional once I got into the office.
    so you can not skin up during normal resort hours?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    As with everything else in life - it depends. You should check the "uphill policy" with *any* resort before you head up there. Some allow it, some require a nominal charge for the privilege, and some don't allow it at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    You can, I don't know what motivates Ski Patrol to shut down uphill access. My guess would be skier traffic.
    Also, for Loveland you need to get a pass (last I checked it's free) and sign a waiver.
    Last edited by eurochien; 2 Days Ago at 01:10 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    New to Colorado since 1993.