MFin' Princess

An Open Letter to Front Range MTB Riders Who Would Never, Ever Join COMBA

I get it. COMBA’s a joke. It’s ineffective, inefficient, and focused on very few things that matter to you as a rider. You’ve come to know COMBA as a disorganized and unresponsive organization too interested in upholding and implementing bad but established policies acting as a surrogate arm of JCOS, instead of fighting for your rights and interests as a mountain biker. You’ve been burned before. You’ve felt that you have completely wasted your money by giving it to an organization that valued your membership so little that it couldn’t even take the time to provide a receipt for your troubles, much less ask you to rejoin when your membership lapsed. And the last thing you want to do is support an organization that is so poorly managed.

But that’s precisely why you need to join COMBA now. We finally have an opportunity to vasty improve COMBA and turn it into the progressive, assertive, mountain bike advocacy group you want -- the one you need, the one that our community needs! But to do it, we need to vote in new and effective leadership. And without your vote, the status quo could very well continue.

You’ll see what I mean when you read the candidate bios on the ballot. One person currently running actually states the following: “I see COMBA as a grass roots effort to provide a medium for mountain bikers to give back to the trails, and to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the officials who regulate our open space.” I don’t. I see COMBA as a mountain bike advocacy group, that has been entrusted with dues and membership, that has a serious and fiduciary responsibility to clearly understand, dutifully respond, and vigorously represent its community's interests in all local trail issues.

If you agree with me, let’s make a change ... now! For far too long, mountain bikers on the Front Range have needed an effective, dedicated, and responsive advocacy group to represent us, and that need has gone unfulfilled. We can have that organization now, by voting in the following candidates who support Terry Breheny's plan for '09:

Michelle Beckman
    Jason Bertolacci
    Joe Hanrahan
    Kyle Henley
    Adam Williams
    Nate Wyant

So I sincerely urge you, the riders who would never, ever join COMBA, to do so now for exactly the reasons you have been reluctant to join so far! As a COMBA member or not, this organization’s decisions and future direction will effect you, as it will effect us all.

Let’s get this thing done. 2009 will be a great year for COMBA, with your help. Thank you sincerely for your consideration.

Michelle Beckman
    Last edited by TVC15; 12-25-2008 at 11:33 AM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, an organization like COMBA is only as good as the folks who support it. Just joining and paying dues is the minimum you should do. the next step is showing up for trail projects, writing letters and that sort of thing. The best thing you can do is step up and serve on the board or committees. Without a wide range of voices and participation, small volunteer based advocacy groups like COMBA will not be effective. All to often only a few people do the vast majority of the work and since they are not getting paid they are operating on passion and commitment to the cause, but a few people does not make an organization.

So not only do you need to elect good board members, you need to support and help them because without that help, they will burn out and that's good for no one.

Heathen
    Why pay to join when I can b!tch for free?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    Why pay to join when I can b!tch for free?
    You get what you pay for

Moosehead
    There were over 200 attendees at last August's Jeffco Open Space meeting, which was specifically held to address recent and important MTBR issues. Several prior Jeffco meetings had been held with similar attendance.

Less than half of those attendees are members of COMBA.

Chicken and egg, yeah.

We can either (1) continue to beyotch, point fingers, and assume others will deal with our growing needs for MTB trail advocacy, or (2) do nothing in a naive manner and hope that we continue to be magically spoiled by local MTB trail access, or (3) step up to the plate and get involved.

Let's step up folks, please. We need everyone's involvement to continue to enjoy and protect what we have, and perhaps increase our own use and access to local MTB trails.

If you cannot devote the time, energy, thoughtfulness, or resources to activist efforts for MTBR, then at minimum, please support those that want to do so via a new COMBA era.

Please, join COMBA and vote today. Thanks.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    You get what you pay for
    Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Ride for free, b!tch for free.. what more can I ask for.

Pivot Rider
    Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Ride for free, b!tch for free.. what more can I ask for.
    Uhmmm......well, I suppose that would work for awhile. But what happens when we have to pay to ride the trails we love -- or can't ride them because another interest group (s)dominated all discussions with JCOS and convinced them that we mtbrs are nothing but trouble, or we become so restricted in where we ride that we loose all the fun, or.......

Just sayin....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    Uhmmm......well, I suppose that would work for awhile. But what happens when we have to pay to ride the trails we love
    I DO pay for the trails I ride in JeffCo. I'm a JeffCo resident.
    -- or can't ride them because another interest group (s)dominated all discussions with JCOS and convinced them that we mtbrs are nothing but trouble, or we become so restricted in where we ride that we loose all the fun, or.......
    Then I will become an Outlaw Rider.

Which I'm OK with.

Maybe the way to go is make out-of-county residents pay to ride JeffCo trails? Say... maybe $500/year?

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Yep,so am I....just don't want to pay additionally....

Maybe the way to go is make out-of-county residents pay to ride JeffCo trails? Say... maybe $500/year?
    That would seriously curtail my ladies mtb rides since many of the girls are residents of other counties.... I daresay it would have an impact on other mtb clubs as well....

Yappy little dog!
    Ya know what is interesting here? Trailblazers never took a dime in membership fees yet built great trails with the blessing of land managers.

Go figure.

MFin' Princess

JCOS trails are supported with a sales tax. Anybody who buys anything in Jeffco "pays for them." These trails are no more yours or mine as Jeffco residents, than some one else's who drives here from outside the County and buys gas while they're here.

And this isn't just about building "more trails," this is about building a strong and mobilized front range mountain bike community, that has a vision for our sport, and that understands and supports our goals and interests.

Again, thanks sincerely for your consideration in joining the cause. If we get the right leadership in COMBA this year, I'm positive it will be the best $20 I will spend all year.

Heathen
    But what happens when we have to pay to ride the trails we love -- or can't ride them because another interest group (s)dominated all discussions with JCOS and convinced them that we mtbrs are nothing but trouble, or we become so restricted in where we ride that we loose all the fun, or.......
    So it would basically be like where I moved from in April. Most of the better trails back in the Austin area were privately owned and pay to ride. If that makes the trails better, I don't mind. I'm not going to pay COMBA for the possibilty of improvements. Besides, who's to say the improvements would be improvements that I want?

Show me a plan, then ask for my money.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>

That would seriously curtail my ladies mtb rides since many of the girls are residents of other counties.... I daresay it would have an impact on other mtb clubs as well....
    I'm just kidding... I like the way JeffCo works now. Haven't had any problems with them since 1993.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    JCOS trails are supported with a sales tax. Anybody who buys anything in Jeffco "pays for them." These trails are no more yours or mine as Jeffco residents, than some one else's who drives here from outside the County and buys gas while they're here.
    Any more info on the details on this? I would imagine sales tax revenue will be quite abysmal this year and next... any projected impacts yet on Open Space? Maybe they won't be able to pay rangers to hand out "yielding" tickets?

mtbr member
    Here are some of my issues and concerns. I read Terry's site, his new vision, it all sounds good and hopeful, but these are the issues I raise.

First, there are people on here asking for votes and money. First, who are you and what is your vision? I'm very reluctant to send anyone money and vote for them just because everyone here say so? Terry's website is not enough information for me to make a valid choice in having someone represent Jeffco or for that matter any trails in Colorado for me. Second, I was at the COMBA/Jeffco meeting and I asked to speak but because my last name starts at the end of the alphabet I didn't get the chance to speak. I then was asked by Terry to send my letter to COMBA, I got a thank you and please donate money a few weeks later. WOW!

I was lucky enough to run into Terry on the trail and give some of my insight, nice guy I said my peace and went on my merry way.

Here is the thing, I've lived in Jeffco pretty much all my life, I've ridden the trails, donated time and money and I can understand why some people are uneasy about giving their money to a cause that seems to have their own agenda.

Oh, I visited COMBA's website, which needs major revision. The sites sucks and that is putting it nice.

I give you all applause for your effort but, I think some people may have a bad taste in their mouth. I'm very interested in seeing how things unfold.

Best wishes and Cheers!

BG.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    So it would basically be like where I moved from in April. Most of the better trails back in the Austin area were privately owned and pay to ride. If that makes the trails better, I don't mind. I'm not going to pay COMBA for the possibilty of improvements. Besides, who's to say the improvements would be improvements that I want?

Show me a plan, then ask for my money.

Developing a master plan and having it adopted by JCOS is something COMBA should think about.

Moosehead
    Snauzers, which trails do TB focus on, presumably BC, Bergan, upper/western Jeffco, etc? In general, those trails don't see nearly the trail usage of lower/eastern Jeffco, MTBR and otherwise. I also recall you had stepped out of it all for certain reasons, no?

Yetigirl, bring it if you have something to say, you have a ton of creds. SS, how would you like it if your local MTB trail access became restricted or became buffed like sidewalk? TMT, presume you came here at least partly because of the mountain amenities and perhaps easy access to MTB trail systems, cause Austin is one heck of a cool place?

Comba obviously needs our collective help to both protect what we enjoy and to take it to the next level in such a heavily used and incredible Jeffco trail system. Those seeking election at Comba want to represent us more effectively, whether it be communication, trail advocacy and access, trail improvements, JCOS planning, website development, trail conflict resolution, gravity enthusiast issues, new trail acquisition and development, or a host of other needs that so many have put forth here. In addition to the statements on the COMBA website, candidates are also available to discuss your issues or questions, and most can be pinged on MTBR.com via PM, or possibly email. All of the candidates seeking election have way more commitment, desire, and knowledge about Jeffco and MTB trail needs, trends, and challenges than most of us can offer to the sport, including our time.

This isn't going happen on its own, and it isn't going to magically be all be peachy keen and stay the same as it ever was, and it isn't going to improve without hard work, personal time commitment, and efforts. It's understandable that people become apathetic, just hard to understand how people complain and abstain.

This isn't basket weaving or tiddlywinks. Mountain Bikers generally are a little more aggressive than average. MTBR's also spend more than a few thousand on their gear, sometimes in recurring years. Is it really the $20? Bring it.

Pivot Rider
    Moosehead, I've talked (emailed) with T and have volunteered to help in whatever capacity is needed. I'm on board and willing to take this to the next level. I'm bringin it....

Moosehead
    Attagirl YG. You sound like a MTBR that appreciates what we have and is willing to reach out and stake claim.

For 20+ years, I blissfully rode my bike and had no clue about what was going on in JCOS, Comba, trail advocacy trends, or conflicting trail uses. Then I realized that there were too little trails available to MTBR's in Boulder, Colorado of all places. Then saw the forest die from mountain pine beetle in Grand County which is going to heavily and negatively impact the ST trails here (unless a major effort is made by MTBR's to protect, regenerate, and create trails). Then watched tech features buffed out on certain popular Jeffco trails and learned how critically important and difficult it is to care for a trail system. Then noticed how much more crowded that Jeffco trail systems became, and how that impacted both the trails and their user groups. Then saw much more frequent discriminatory behavior towards MTBR's, some completely unwarranted, some deserved.

Most importantly, this past season, I was able to witness the incredible knowledge, personal efforts, and commitment to our sport that many of the Comba BOD candidates bring to the table. It is an easy $20 investment when it can support so much more than that to our local sport.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    TMT, presume you came here at least partly because of the mountain amenities and perhaps easy access to MTB trail systems, cause Austin is one heck of a cool place?
    Austin is a great place. But it's too damn hot in the summer. I moved here because I lived here as a kid in the 70's and loved the mountains and the summers here are very mild.

As for giving away my $20 to an organization run by a bunch of people I don't know that don't have publicized plan of action, it's just not going to happen.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip> SS, how would you like it if your local MTB trail access became restricted or became buffed like sidewalk?
    You mean like they did to Falcon, White Ranch, Apex, Dakota Ridge, at various points in the last 15 years? To tell you the truth, for the most part I think they were attempting to do the right thing with regards to sustainability. And some of those "buffed" trails are now gnarlier than they were before.

As far as access goes, I think it's unlikely JeffCo would shoot themselves in the foot by doing any sort of wholesale restrictions on bike access.

Moosehead
    You mean like they did to Falcon, White Ranch, Apex, Dakota Ridge, at various points in the last 15 years? To tell you the truth, for the most part I think they were attempting to do the right thing with regards to sustainability. And some of those "buffed" trails are now gnarlier than they were before.

As far as access goes, I think it's unlikely JeffCo would shoot themselves in the foot by doing any sort of wholesale restrictions on bike access.
    Exactly. Hear and understand the "attempting to do the right thing" and that those trails will show rock after wear. Alternatively, talk to Jason B, or read some of the IMBA/NEMBA trail building techniques, or see some of the rock armory at LOTB - there are much more progressive techniques available today for trail building and sustainability which also specifically bring MTBR's into the picture. Techniques that offer long term sustainability, speed checks, water drainage and erosion protection, mutual user access, and natural rock armory and gnar where appropriate and needed.

Agree that Jeffco wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot with wholesale restrictions, but growing minor and major restrictions are evident - alternate trail user days at CC, no bikes on certain trails, no bike-only trails, improper enforcement, etc. COMBA BOD candidates partly seek to make sure MTB restrictions don't increase, and alternatively, that our trail access and enjoyment do increase.

Rocket Scientist
    Just my opinion but until I see a person represented on the list (Unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) who represents the gravity set as well as the rest of the mountain biking community I plan to stay away.

Yappy little dog!
    Snauzers, which trails do TB focus on, presumably BC, Bergan, upper/western Jeffco, etc? In general, those trails don't see nearly the trail usage of lower/eastern Jeffco, MTBR and otherwise. I also recall you had stepped out of it all for certain reasons, no?
    I left because I have too much to do already and can't handle another BoD position. It does not mean that I am still not committed to the projects started (or to be started) in BC or that I do not continue to function as a trail crew leader. I am just saying they have done it, and FRMBP have done it without membership dues. Partnering? Yes.

Now, I was playing the devils advocate in my original statement. CoMBA has my $20.

This isn't basket weaving or tiddlywinks. Mountain Bikers generally are a little more aggressive than average. MTBR's also spend more than a few thousand on their gear, sometimes in recurring years. Is it really the $20? Bring it.
    Geez. When I asked for $10 at the Epic this year, I nearly got my head ripped off. Don't demand. Ask. Also, it wouldn't hurt to mention that CoMBA is a 501c3 and therefore your membership is tax deductible.

There are always people who say, "I can do it better". Still, I await an answer to my post from the other thread...

I have been a member. I let it lapse because of the lack of action and frankly I was already participating with three other groups (FRMBP, Trailblazers, and Team Evergreen). There really wasn't too much more time for anything else. However, I am willing to give it a third chance, so I renewed the membership. But, before I vote...

What makes anyone think they can do better? A good number of the people running for the BoD have served on CoMBA's board. So, the opportunity was there in the past to actually do something. Many have never even been "involved" before they ran into trouble. Just serving on the BoD does not automatically guarantee that the organization is going to be effective. It takes bodies. Hard working, organized, and "open minded" bodies. IT takes hard work and a lot of TIME. Do these people think they have that? I'm not picking on any person in general, but I know of at least one who is already stretched thin with organizations. Add family and down time into it and one needs to think real hard. Add having to deal with a$$hats like me (and there is more than one of us), who will get under your skin without making yourself look like an a$$hat as well (quite a few here). Are you willing to make the commitment to trail work along with "honor and dignity" of serving on a BoD? This summer, when it's 80F, crystal blue sky, perfect trail conditions, and a Saturday, are you willing to dedicate yourself to five or more hours of trail work instead of riding? I'm not saying you have to be at every one of them, but you will need to "walk the talk". No, bringing a keg to the work and dispensing beer does not count. Bringing your camera and taking pictures of others doing the work and never putting on a pair of gloves, does not count. Picking up a tool and putting your back into it counts. Keeping close ties with the land managers counts. Coming up with ways to get people out for "maintenance" as well as new trails counts. These things get noticed and I will always point it out. Remember, I am part of some of those "other" groups you hope to be working closely with.

Yeah, I'm one vote and it won't make a hill of beans difference who I vote for. Why? Well, for one thing is that I have been on CoMBA's email list since I moved here and the only way I even knew there was a BoD election was because I read this board. And still, I do not know who the "other" candidates are. But, are you sure you want my membership and my vote? I can be one of your best constituents, but I can also be a mean old M-F'er.

Regardless of my association with any group in any place I have ever lived, I am always an advocate for what I believe in. Mountain Biking is one of those things.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    Just my opinion but until I see a person represented on the list (Unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) who represents the gravity set as well as the rest of the mountain biking community I plan to stay away.
    Jason B. will serve you well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>

Agree that Jeffco wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot with wholesale restrictions, but growing minor and major restrictions are evident - alternate trail user days at CC, no bikes on certain trails, no bike-only trails, improper enforcement, etc. COMBA BOD candidates partly seek to make sure MTB restrictions don't increase, and alternatively, that our trail access and enjoyment do increase.
    I think you're seeing what you want to see here. Which is understandable. Cent Cone from my understanding has been alternated days right from the get-go. No bikes on certain trails has been around a LONG time. Anyone know the history of the hiker-only trails at Falcon & Deer Creek? And there is at least one bike-only trail - at Matthew Winters. And that has been designated fairly recently IIRC.

I am glad that COMBA is keeping an eye out. It's a good idea to have numerous checks & balances in any public situation like JeffCo.

MFin' Princess
    This isn't going happen on its own, and it isn't going to magically be all be peachy keen and stay the same as it ever was, and it isn't going to improve without hard work, personal time commitment, and efforts. It's understandable that people become apathetic, just hard to understand how people complain and abstain.
    It's also going to happen with membership. Without membership -- that you value, understand, and serve -- you’re just a couple of dudes with a hobby and spare time to kill. And frankly, you can enjoy all of that without my twenty bucks, and without appointing yourselves the official spokespersons for an entire community that you’re way, way too content to ignore!

Trust me folks -- I get it. And I agree with you.

Interestingly enough, to those of you concerned about the financial component of this request, I suggested to (the outgoing) COMBA President Peter Morales, that anyone who showed up at the Public Forum be offered a free one year trial membership. My position was that their support and their 2 hours of time was worth way more than $20; and I believed they should have been rewarded for their time and trouble. I also knew that IF people liked what they saw from COMBA over the next year, they would happily rejoin after their free membership expired. That idea was summarily rejected, for reasons I have yet to fathom.

I want your vote, not your twenty bucks. And I want it because we desperately need an organized, competent mountain bike community on the Front Range. Moosehead's right -- issues are afoot, and opportunities are on the horizon. And I am absolutely confident that Terry's plan and team will bring forth the change that we need in an organization that actually represents us.

I can only assume that those of you who say there's no plan, have not read the plan fully. Here it is: http://mtbocd.blogspot.com/2008/12/comba-2009.html.

Thanks again, sincerely, for your consideration.
    Last edited by TVC15; 12-26-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Yappy little dog!

I can only assume that those of you who say there's no plan, have not read the plan fully. Here it is: http://mtbocd.blogspot.com/2008/12/comba-2009.html.
    That is NOT a plan. That is a VISION.

Not that there is an issue with that. We all have to start somewhere. I

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Error Alert...

Schnauzer's states that Team Evergreen Trailblazers has never asked for membership dues. That's because they can't. When TET became a Colorado corporation, it was written in the by-laws that it is not a "membership" type organization, cannot legally have members and therefore, cannot charge membership dues. In the beginning, TET was very fortunate to have a generous donor and parent organization that basically removed any financial burden until grant money could begin flowing. Also, they had a committed and dedicated leadership team and between the two, it assured rapid success. However, I was surprised at the $10 fee for last year's Epic event especially when the prior four year's of the Epic had been admission free.

CoMBA is headed in a new direction and I for one, want to see the organization succeed. So I'm willing to lend a hand. Yeah, I've seen my share of the CoMBA/TCS-MBC/TCS variants come and go and will re-evaluate my position if I see history being repeated, but I think the new vision has a fighting chance. Bottom line, what do you have to lose?

So if you can't afford or aren't will to part with what amounts to less than the cost of a case of quality beer and is tax deductible, then lend some of your time. In many respects, the value of the manpower far outweighs the money.

Now if only someone could tell me how to vote. Hey, current CoMBA BoD, how do I vote? Also, why don't you put the bios of the folks running for office in a public portion of the web site? It may generate more interest!

FRMBP.org - Our 13th Season is just around the corner

MFin' Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    CoMBA is headed in a new direction and I for one, want to see the organization succeed. So I'm willing to lend a hand. Yeah, I've seen my share of the CoMBA/TCS-MBC/TCS variants come and go and will re-evaluate my position if I see history being repeated, but I think the new vision has a fighting chance.
    Thank you. A million times, thank you.
    Now if only someone could tell me how to vote. Hey, current CoMBA BoD, how do I vote?
    I can promise you that if we succeed in instituting new leadership, next year's vote will be much better handled. You have my word on it.

You vote first by becoming a member, go here. Then a unique user name and password is emailed to you that allows you to vote. However, the person who is handling this responsibility is often extremely slow in getting these ballots out. So as a safeguard, while waiting for your email to come, send an email entitled VOTE to BOD@COMBA.org, listing the names of your 6 candidate selections, along with your name, address, and telphone number, so that you can be verified against the Elibigle Voter/Member list. The voting period ends December 30, so please hurry!

Also, why don't you put the bios of the folks running for office in a public portion of the web site? It may generate more interest!
    Fantastic idea. Happy to here, since they may be slow in responding to your request ... Please note that the first six candidates support Terry's vision for a new COMBA. The last two candidates (displayed in gray italics) have not stated that they share this vision, and have been specifically appointed by a board member who shares a very different vision than Terry does. So if you want change, vote for the first six people listed here who support the Terry's plan. Thanks again!

2008 COMBA ELECTION CANDIDATES

Michelle Beckman
    Michelle is an avid mountain biker who began riding in 1997. A Golden resident, she is 100% committed to mountain bike advocacy. For the past five years she has enthusiastically represented mountain bike community interests fighting for our user group's rights and access issues in Jefferson County, including a recent court victory against several JCOS-issued "Failure to Yield" tickets. Michelle wholeheartedly supports the "New Trails" vision for COMBA'09 as outlined by Terry Breheny.

Jason Bertolacci
    At the Public Forum with Jefferson County Open Space I had the opportunity to speak, and share with many of you my passion for cycling and bicycle advocacy. I am an advocate for cycling on and off the bike. In addition to my job at the International Mountain Bicycling Association, I currently sit on the Board of Directors of the Colorado Mountain Bike Association, volunteer for the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol, and am the Database Coordinator for Team Evergreen. I believe that COMBA should be a strong partner to local land managers, but above all should be an unwavering voice for the interests of local mountain bikers. If elected 2009 I would support Terry Breheny as president of COMBA, and work for the development of new bicycle-specific trails -- from beginner trails to expert -- in the beautiful Colorado Front Range.

Joe Hanrahan
    I am accepting a nomination for election to the COMBA Board of Directors because I would bring a unique and valuable perspective to the Board. My perspective has been shaped by close to twenty years of riding mountain bikes, ten years in a variety of roles in the bicycle industry and five years of racing downhill at a high level. My experience in sales, wrenching and outside repping has kept me closely connected with the mountain bike end-user through the years and provides numerous close connections throughout the industry. My involvement in gravity racing would also bring a valuable perspective regarding the needs and desires of that growing user group, with a promised base in reality. I'm a well-rounded mountain biker first, with penchant and skill for going downhill quickly on a closed course.

Ultimately I would like to expand my realm in the bicycle world from riding, racing and retail to something with a bit more gravitas, or legacy, for lack of better terms. I feel that COMBA can and should become a regional, if not national, powerhouse and model for what a mtb advocacy group is capable of. I also support the "New Trails" vision for COMBA'09, as outlined by Terry Breheny. We have an enormous local user group and an amazing chunk of of geography to work with. With a spot on the COMBA Board of Directors I would like to make the most of it and keep pressing forward.

Kyle Henley
    Please consider my nomination for the COMBA Board of Directors. I'm a mountain bike fanatic from Golden, CO, living just a stone's throw from the White Ranch and Chimney Gulch trailheads. I've been cycling for almost 23 years, both road and mountain, and for the last six or seven years I've focused my riding efforts on cross country MTB racing. When I'm not riding a bike, I manage public relations and communications for one of Colorado's largest financial institutions. COMBA is an organization with tremendous potential. It certainly has grown over the years to become an admired organization that is influential with key government stakeholders and well regarded by those who know it. The challenge is that not enough people know it. The Front Range is a national epicenter for all facets of mountain biking, and COMBA is positioned to be a strong voice for a dynamic and diverse riding community. By growing membership and promoting advocacy, the organization will be able to fulfill its broader mission of protecting and expanding the regional MTB trail system. In running for a board seat, I'd like to work with a team of like-minded individuals who want COMBA to grow and mature organizationally. In closing, I support the "New Trails" vision for COMBA'09, as outlined by Terry Breheny.

Adam Williams
    My name is Adam Williams. I am the manager at Golden Bike Shop. I am pretty simple…I love bicycles. I have for a long time and for a long time to come. I am mostly a mountain biker but I also ride to work everyday and get my groceries by bike. When I moved to Golden a couple of years ago I picked this location for its unique and amazing mix of trails and city. It is something I want to protect and use for a long time to come. Being in the industry for a long time I have always been somewhat involved in trail issues across the state. I would like to take this opportunity to step it up a notch.

Nathan Wyant
    As an avid mountain biker of 20 years and a Jefferson County resident I would be honored to have the opportunity to serve the local mountain biking community as a member of the COMBA Board of Directors. After years of using the trails I believe this is the best way that I can give back to the sport and community. COMBA has the opportunity to be a major resource for the Front Range mountain biking community. I believe that COMBA should be a partner to the local bike community that drives the needs of the riders with Jefferson county and with other user groups in a fun and effective manor. If nominated to the Board I would strive to help take COMBA to the next level by continuing to build the relationships with Jeffco parks administration officials and with the mountain bike community itself. In closing, I support the "New Trails" vision for COMBA'09, as outlined by Terry Breheny.

Christine Smith
    Hello. My name is Christine Smith and I am honored to be nominated for the COMBA board. I have been involved with COMBA and its predecessor organizations since I moved to Golden in 2005. I have also participated in the Jefferson County Volunteer Patrol program. I am an avid mountain biker and chose Golden as home because of the great trail system. I feel strongly about volunteering for trail maintenance and mountain biking advocacy. My goal is to keep the exceptional trails we enjoy open to not only mountain bikers, but all trail users.

What I have to offer to the COMBA board is a balanced view from being on both sides of many issues that have affected the local mountain bike community in the past year. I would also like to continue to build the relationship with the many loyal volunteers who have made COMBA what it is today. I see COMBA as a grass roots effort to provide a medium for mountain bikers to give back to the trails and to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the officials who regulate our open space.

Dave Slowey
    Dave Slowey is a community minded individual with a long history of volunteerism. Currently a bike mounted volunteer park patroller for Jefferson County Open Space, and a trained trail crew leader, Mr. Slowey has been working to preserve our trails since attending his first trail day with COMBA's predecessor, Trail Conservation Services, in 1990. Mr. Slowey would like to see the same opportunities to contribute back to the community that have been offered to him given to the next generation of mountain bikers as well. A vote for Dave is a vote to continue COMBA's legacy of service, repaying the community in some small way for the bounty of trails available to mountain bikers along the front range.

Last edited by TVC15; 12-26-2008 at 06:01 PM.

friend of Apex
    Does the CO in COMBA stand for Colorado, or JeffCO?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Moosehead
    See the candidates backgrounds in this thread. Note Joe Hanrahan specifically calls out his gravity background, and the growth and needs of that specialty; also see Jason B's focused dedication to our sport.

Yappy little dog!
    Schnauzer's states that Team Evergreen Trailblazers has never asked for membership dues. That's because they can't. When TET became a Colorado corporation, it was written in the by-laws that it is not a "membership" type organization, cannot legally have members and therefore, cannot charge membership dues. In the beginning, TET was very fortunate to have a generous donor and parent organization that basically removed any financial burden until grant money could begin flowing. Also, they had a committed and dedicated leadership team and between the two, it assured rapid success. However, I was surprised at the $10 fee for last year's Epic event especially when the prior four year's of the Epic had been admission free.
    Just to clarify the $10 fee...

Team Evergreen granted Team Evergreen Trailblazers a $4000 loan to get started. As a board member of Team Evergreen, I was very nervous about this and when I was asked to be part of the TET BoD I made it my personal mission to repay that loan. Relying on grant money can be a very risky thing. I do have experience in this field as a former employee of an organization that relied on grants and as a former employee of one that gave grants (PEW charitable trusts - yes that LIBERAL organization).

The Epic weekend is an expenditure does cost a lot of money to put on. Yes, we build some great trails, have a big sleep-over, and create a huge ruckus, it did not afford TET the ability to recoup any of the loan. Again, my personal mission as a member of the TET BoD was to repay TE. I thought and still believe that the $10 was a very nominal fee. The fee was also used as a way to count the attendees. In the past we had ordered more food than was needed. A huge waste. This was because people would say they would attend and never show up. I figured if they paid $10 they might be more inclined to be there. Yes, people work. They also have a good time. I hope TET has a good event coordinator next year so some of the "fun" aspect will still be there. We raised nearly $1000 from that fee and were able to repay TE the full amount before it's due date. I think that is an amazing accomplishment. I think what TET was able to accomplish (and still work on) is a great thing as well. It is greatly unappreciated, even by me (a former board member).

I am sure that the $10 fee will be eliminated for the next Epic, but don't blame me if it's there.

CoMBA is headed in a new direction and I for one, want to see the organization succeed. So I'm willing to lend a hand. Yeah, I've seen my share of the CoMBA/TCS-MBC/TCS variants come and go and will re-evaluate my position if I see history being repeated, but I think the new vision has a fighting chance. Bottom line, what do you have to lose? r
    As I have said, I paid my $20. Though, I am still not convinced that Terry and his selection can do the job. Prove me wrong, please.

I have other thoughts, but I won't discuss it here. You and I can talk about it over beer.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I'm joining because I just want a new sticker on my truck!

Seriously, The small cost to join in comparison with other things we spend money on could be well spent. I have not joined but plan on it. I think if we all are willing to roll up our sleeves and lend a hand and a back once in a while, we could all benefit! And if you just want to sit back and let others do the work and ride the trails with a smile on your face, then just pray that your kids get the same opportunity.

I'm just glad to see true passion in our way of life, if I'm not willing or cannot commit my time, then give someone who wants to and can the opportunity to try!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I am gravity guy too and I feel like this new group and Terry WILL be representing the gravity group. I also feel like if I don't get involved then I have to right to ***** and moan about the current state of things. With this new group NOW is the time for us gravity guys to get involved and make a presence, get organized, and start doing something!

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by pmrider
    I am gravity guy too and I feel like this new group and Terry WILL be representing the gravity group. I also feel like if I don't get involved then I have to right to ***** and moan about the current state of things. With this new group NOW is the time for us gravity guys to get involved and make a presence, get organized, and start doing something!
    I'd like to see someone who is a well known gravity set guy/gal on that list. Someone that the gravity riders of the front range trust and feel like they have someone on their side in addressing their needs. I don't feel like there is anyone on that list who is truly interested in the seeing the gravity people get their needs addressed. Someone from the Big 5 is my suggestion. (BCR,FIX,MW,MSC,YETI) I don't know if any of those people might be interested, but I think it's a good idea. Gravity riders need trails and tracks in the front range more than any other crowd.

MFin' Princess
    Someone from the Big 5 is my suggestion. (BCR,FIX,MW,MSC,YETI)
    Done and done. Anthony Sloan's already been made a Director and on board with The Plan. We're just trying to make sure COMBA has the right people working as Directors along side him -- and Terry -- so that we can get to work, quickly, with people who share the same vision.

Quote Originally Posted by NEW VISION • NEW MEMBERS • NEW TRAILS PLAN
    Industry.
    Besides being lucky enough to get to attend Interbike, these folks have some valuable insight that needs to be exploited, er, tapped. So we’re not California (thankfully), but we’ve got our own thriving scene– including some great local bike shops—both independent and chain—and of course, more than a handful of manufacturers, both large and small. These folks are in the trenches, and in the case of shops especially, are face-to-face with mountain bikers on a daily basis. They should have representation, and to that end, I’m looking to Adam Williams, of Golden Bike Shop, and Joe Hanrahan, of Bicycle Village, to help us interact more closely with all local Front Range shops. Likewise, Anthony Sloan has been summarily “volunteered” by Yeti, to provide his insight and expertise both as a committed rider as well as an industry veteran and representative.
    I realize this group may not be exactly, precisely, everything you want, but I promise it beats the hay out of the alternative: more of the same. And we've had way too much of that.

Folks, please join, please vote, and please help us build the community that makes the changes you want to see. Thanks again for considering.
    Last edited by TVC15; 12-27-2008 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member

New question here.

As an outsider who regularly visits Colorado I too was wondering how it's COMBA - COlorado Mountain Bike Association, yet they only seem to deal with JEFFCO issues Should it be JeffCOMBA instead if that's the case Maybe it's jus because that's the only real place there's so many issues between MTBers and other trail users
    I'd consider joing, but it would seem that it isn't anything benificial to me since it's only JeffCO limited and I don't tend to ride there when I visit CO - if this changes then I'd be on board in a heart beat, local or not. Oh and yeah, that COMBA site really does sucks

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Does the CO in COMBA stand for Colorado, or JeffCO?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd like to see someone who is a well known gravity set guy/gal on that list. Someone that the gravity riders of the front range trust and feel like they have someone on their side in addressing their needs. I don't feel like there is anyone on that list who is truly interested in the seeing the gravity people get their needs addressed. Someone from the Big 5 is my suggestion. (BCR,FIX,MW,MSC,YETI) I don't know if any of those people might be interested, but I think it's a good idea. Gravity riders need trails and tracks in the front range more than any other crowd.

I agree-- but at least I think the guys currently involved do care about us DH guys-- I know Terry does. I think if this group shows good results the Big 5 guys will be more likly to get going too and then will could have a power house! I guess we just need to trust this new group and show our support. I would rather give COMBA some faith now because if there was a time for it, it is NOW -- and the more of us there are supporting this crew the more likly we will see results

"Gravity riders need trails and tracks in the front range more than any other crowd" -- I so agree!! -- The front range could be a training ground the would champions choose to move to because it is so good -- key words -- Could BE!!!!!!!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As an outsider who regularly visits Colorado I too was wondering how it's COMBA - COlorado Mountain Bike Association, yet they only seem to deal with JEFFCO issues Should it be JeffCOMBA instead if that's the case Maybe it's jus because that's the only real place there's so many issues between MTBers and other trail users
    I'd consider joing, but it would seem that it isn't anything benificial to me since it's only JeffCO limited and I don't tend to ride there when I visit CO - if this changes then I'd be on board in a heart beat, local or not. Oh and yeah, that COMBA site really does sucks
    I don't think it will be anything other than JeffCO and some parts of Clear Creek. The way CoMBA should have organized would have been similar to a NEMBA, SORBA, and JORBA. CoMBA would serve as the overseeing organization and there would be chapters for each of the areas. I think it is probably too late for that. If I were a group like BMA, I would never want to be part of an all encompassing CoMBA, since I am already doing fine on my own.

CoMBA obviously does need a name change and a focus. Until that happens, I don't foresee anything huge happening.

Now back to the overall biking organization. I would think that we probably already have one in Bicycle Colorado. Question is, can that be taken to the chapter level?

Of course this may all be a moot point if the IMBA affiliate program actually does have some balls behind it. I am sure the IMBA "dudes" will chime in here, but it sounds like they'll be providing a membership system (could be this one) and possible the Website to go along with it. If that's the case, we'll all end up IMBA chapters.

Not a bad idea, either. It was my approach when I started NJMBA. I left NJ before it got off the ground. I think chapter based organizations offer a much better organizational structure and provide better power through numbers.

mtbr member
    Bpatterson makes a very good point here. Lets look into this a little further. I have it on good authority that the actual stance of Terry and COMBA is not really aligned with the DH set at all. This is based on the Area 28 proposals. While I may be wrong, the story goes that Area 28 is stalled due to a battle between two groups, COMBA and a DH group backed by Mojo Wheels. It is not zoning issues according to what I hear from Clear Creek folks. The city decided to wait because of infighting between two groups (this is mentioned in a story in the Clear Creek Courant).

The DH set may not be the group that is playing fair (they have made claims that the property in question is not viable for XC trails) but the situation brings us to a core issue of what is needed here for our sport. More trails. And for all types of riding. But let's face it when new property becomes potentially available the DH set will push hard to have DH trails as there are really none around. There are however plenty of XC trails. Both groups seem to claim need for what they want ONLY and do not really care what the other needs/wants.

So my questions are:
    Why would I join COMBA If they would not align with a DH group to quickly move forward, drop the egos and work with them to at least solve one of our problems (shuttling on multi-use trails in Jeffco)? Would that not show at least some sign of solidarity?

Why has COMBA not offered any help to build/rebuild dirt jump spots like Sunset and Arbor?. These are core elements of our sport and both sites sometimes sit without maintanence for months/years at a time. Kids learn to ride at these places and they are the future of this sport. IMBA has had chances to help at spots like Gunbarrel in Boulder and declined. People who dig at these spots are world-class trail builders and are treated like second-class citizens by the proper organizations. This is another reason why there is a chasm between COMBA, IMBA, BMA and the gravity set. If you have not noticed, some of these these builders are responsible for the two best local trail building projects in recent memory (Lory State Park dirt jumps and Sol Vista)

Why has COMBA not endorsed a plan to having a bicycle trail that connects the metro area with the mountains? There are already trails in place that are hiking only that could bring a person to Genesee. The allure of a route out of the Metro Area or Boulder that could be ridden east to west as an epic shuttle akin to Monarch Crest is there. There is just too much paved terrain to navigate right now. I personally could care less about more XC "loops" in close proximity to populated areas, unless it connects White Ranch to Golden Gate State Park or Golden to Genesee or Morrison to Evergreen.

IMO, the ideal Metro Area scene would be the exact trails we have now, plus a DH oriented terrain park at Area 28 and an epic Crest-like shuttle from the divide near Loveland Pass/I-70 to Golden or Morrison. Those are attainable goals that make sense for the sport.
    Clear Creek County is ripe for this as they want people to stop and spend money and they are already planning a greenbelt trail.

Based on the current Open Space management, I do not see Jeffco giving two poops about a link trail to CCC or a terrain park in Jeffco proper. It is time to do battle with the Kim Frederick's of the world and have people like that replaced with someone with an actual vision for recreation, not land conservation and restriction for certain user groups. If kayakers can have a world-class water park in a river shrouded in usage controversy why can we not have a terrain park or an epic link trail? If housing developments can continue west of Golden why should they not include mutli-use trails? Jeffco is pimping off land and water taps to the highest bidding developers all the time.

The grant money that was wasted last season on trail "maintanence" was insane- the work done was a waste of time and will be washed away this spring. All those man-hours could have been spent building new stuff. If you believe what Jeffco says about the grant money having to be spent on existing trails you will believe anything those kickback-lined pockets will tell you.

The time to play nice with Jeffco is over. Guys like Kent S. have been trying that for years. Anarchy is what is needed, like what happened in Vancouver 10 years ago. Demand equal opportunity on the trails. We spend more money in this county than hikers do. That is plain and simple logic.

The gravity set has every right to be wary of COMBA. As does anyone who lives in Jeffco and has seen the lack of progress while other areas move forward (Valmont Bike Park). This is not a personal attack on anyone but an opinion on COMBA's track record. IMO COMBA is not diverse enough to truly represent Jeffco cyclists. Like minds think alike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    dream4est- what happened in vancover 10 years ago-- I love the idea of a crest type trail from the divide- that would be awesome!!

WTF about the area 28 project-- I knew mojo was involved too but I would like to know what the hell happened between the COMBA and mojo-- This is one reason why I feel like this new COMBA crew could be good-- we need EVERYONE on the same page and under one umbrella- that way arguments between groups could take place inhouse and not screw up any further projects.

I am praying that COMBA can and will be the leaders to include the gravity set-- Idaho springs is probably dry right now-- the potential from silverplum to golden is huge--- Clear Creek could bring in so much $$$ from this-- I also agree its seems like its time to play rough w/ Jeffco-- I feel even the XC guys are getting hosed-- We really do have the land, the resources and the people to make the front range into a MTB area rivaling any world class destination in the world- but I think we do need ONE org. to pile power and people into-- also the gravity guys still seem unorganized-- the XC guys kick our butts when it comes to people putting in political effort

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    The gravity set has every right to be wary of COMBA. As does anyone who lives in Jeffco and has seen the lack of progress while other areas move forward (Valmont Bike Park). This is not a personal attack on anyone but an opinion on COMBA's track record. IMO COMBA is not diverse enough to truly represent Jeffco cyclists. Like minds think alike.
    One question...

Why aren't you running for the CoMBA BoD?

Maybe you should have thrown your hat in and break-up the friendship cruise a little. A BoD without opposing views is a BOD without change or a future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dream4est- what happened in vancover 10 years ago-- I love the idea of a crest type trail from the divide- that would be awesome!!

WTF about the area 28 project-- I knew mojo was involved too but I would like to know what the hell happened between the COMBA and mojo-- This is one reason why I feel like this new COMBA crew could be good-- we need EVERYONE on the same page and under one umbrella- that way arguments between groups could take place inhouse and not screw up any further projects.

I am praying that COMBA can and will be the leaders to include the gravity set-- Idaho springs is probably dry right now-- the potential from silverplum to golden is huge--- Clear Creek could bring in so much $$$ from this-- I also agree its seems like its time to play rough w/ Jeffco-- I feel even the XC guys are getting hosed-- We really do have the land, the resources and the people to make the front range into a MTB area rivaling any world class destination in the world- but I think we do need ONE org. to pile power and people into-- also the gravity guys still seem unorganized-- the XC guys kick our butts when it comes to people putting in political effort
    I am heading the Area 28 Project for CoMBA. Without getting into too much detail, the Project is far from dead. We anticipate reconnecting with the city after the New Year to assist with their easement issues (yes, it is a real issue) to move the project forward.

Whatever happened between CoMBA and Mojo Wheels in the past is history and I know both parties are anxious to get back to the drawing board to move the project along.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. But I will add one thing: projects such as Area 28 do not pop-up overnight. Rather they are the result of intense dialog between the city, organizations like CoMBA and government officials on the county and state level. They also cost $$$ to build. Joining CoMBA and paying the $20 fee helps to contribute to projects such as Area 28.

Bpatterson makes a very good point here. Lets look into this a little further. I have it on good authority that the actual stance of Terry and COMBA is not really aligned with the DH set at all. This is based on the Area 28 proposals. While I may be wrong, the story goes that Area 28 is stalled due to a battle between two groups, COMBA and a DH group backed by Mojo Wheels. It is not zoning issues according to what I hear from Clear Creek folks. The city decided to wait because of infighting between two groups (this is mentioned in a story in the Clear Creek Courant).
    Where are your friends from Clear Creek to help out? I've been to every meeting on this issue and the only people there were myself, Jason, Terry, Lisa from Mojo Wheels, her husband, Steve, Vince, Adam and Dave. Smedley showed up at the end to help resolve some of the conflict. If your friends are so concerned with the project being stalled, please have them contact me. We NEED help and surely they can dedicate some of their time (as I have mine) to help move this project along.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ron-- PM sent

MFin' Princess
    Ron-- PM sent
    Awesome!!!!!! Sweet!! Thanks bunches pmrider!!!!!!!

Now we're getting somwhere!

I have sooooo many beers to buy sooooooo many people. This is an excellent dilemma if I do say so myself.

mtbr member
    IMBA - yes
    COPMOBA - yes
    Larimer county parks pass - yes

COMBA - No thanks.

mtbr member

so there *is* some interest

i've been on "break" from the computer for a couple of days for the holidays...

...good to see people care enough to weigh in, on any side of this matter.

i'm still technically offline (don't tell my wife– i'm supposed to be getting the vacuum from the basement ), but i will take the time to respond to some of the questions/comments here when i can.

keep the dialogue flowing (thanks for the kickstart TVC).

2.5 days left to vote in the COMBA election; give us your support, your money, and your vote and let's get to work addressing some of these issues.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Stand back

Billy - Joe Hanrahan is Flowtron on here, and (unless I'm mistaken) is a pro dher who races msc. You mighta met him at Wilson Woods, like I did. He's a good guy (with some skills - he was jumping the big line on his big bike), and I will pony up the $20 to support him.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

MFin' Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    so there is some interest
    Yes, and some resentment, mistrust, misunderstandings, and genuine and well spoken reservations.

keep the dialogue flowing (thanks for the kickstart TVC).
    Happy to.

To me, this is about building a mountain bike community, that we've needed on the Front Range for far too long. I think that's what it's really about to all of us. Unfortunately, to this point, we have either been too divided, or represented by people who love the trails and may mountain bike from time to time, but who were not devoted, passionate, mountain bikers -- through and through.

We are. You are. Join us ... please.

2.5 days left to vote in the COMBA election; give us your support, your money, and your vote and let's get to work addressing some of these issues.
    I'm ready when ever you are, Mr. President.

MFin' Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    and I will pony up the $20 to support him.
    THANK YOU!!!!!

No fooling, I'm buying you a beer at the first opportunity.

Huge thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    maybe somebody covered it, but I know Joe is the kind of guy who likes riding, but most importantly likes riding DOWN the most. I'm not as familiar with the other people, and try to stay away from the whole "scene," but he is the type you're looking for (active, legit DH racer, active in the industry, tries to bring a more gravity focus both in riders and trails, etc).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bpatterson makes a very good point...
    Please continue to agitate as needed. I, at least, am behind you. We need schmoozers, and we need people like you to keep them honest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    I am heading the Area 28 Project for CoMBA. Without getting into too much detail, the Project is far from dead. We anticipate reconnecting with the city after the New Year to assist with their easement issues (yes, it is a real issue) to move the project forward.

Whatever happened between CoMBA and Mojo Wheels in the past is history and I know both parties are anxious to get back to the drawing board to move the project along.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. But I will add one thing: projects such as Area 28 do not pop-up overnight. Rather they are the result of intense dialog between the city, organizations like CoMBA and government officials on the county and state level. They also cost $$$ to build. Joining CoMBA and paying the $20 fee helps to contribute to projects such as Area 28.

Where are your friends from Clear Creek to help out? I've been to every meeting on this issue and the only people there were myself, Jason, Terry, Lisa from Mojo Wheels, her husband, Steve, Vince, Adam and Dave. Smedley showed up at the end to help resolve some of the conflict. If your friends are so concerned with the project being stalled, please have them contact me. We NEED help and surely they can dedicate some of their time (as I have mine) to help move this project along.

I wanted to offer help, guidance and just about anything to Area 28 but got bad vibes from the DH group. They did not want any help from me much less my straight XC cohorts. Their vision was very narrow for the property in terms of progression or variety on the gravity side and was anti-XC. My post may have hinted to loyalties on that direction but I am as much behind your side as theirs. The situation is a perfect example of our recent problems getting technical trail built. IMO a dedicated trail building firm needs to be involved that has a track record of building legal gravity stuff (Steve Wentz and Co. are the best around here but the guys doing Valmont are pretty well known nationally).

I hope you guys can coexist. I felt that the Mojo group was inflexible and would destroy the work Smedley had done and for year one that looks to be correct. Let's hope you are right and that is past us. A DH- oriented park should have trail for all levels, XC, dirt jumps, a slalom course, a short track XC, freeride trails, etc. I will pm you as I want to be made aware af any future meetings and lend support to those folks who appreciate it. Meeting dates and times should be made available to the public IMO. I had no idea of any meeting until after it happened. The vision of the park should make sense with the overall plan for Clear Creek County. And I believe it should include the first dedicated section of West to East epic trail that could connect the Herman Gulch area to Golden via a series of 4wd roads and ST.

If MTBR is to be used for this purpose, we should know of meetings about Area 28 before they happen so we can attend (last year we only got reports after the fact). Everything should be out in the open. This park would be the biggest thing to happen to Metro Area mountain biking in 20 years if it bleeds into CCC (and possibly Jeffco) in the form of connector trails, signed directions on jeep routes, etc. The area is untapped and has trails and 4wd roads all over. Big Galoot and I did the Clear Creek Race with STS in 2007 and Galoot chose a route that was hard and amazing and gave me the idea for a Crest-type ride. If anything comes out of this I hope the tapping of CCC for an epic ride becomes reality.

Oh and Smedley deserves the credit here fellas. Not COMBA or Vince or whoever. He has been behind this project since before 2005 when I first saw the maps. He is the liasion you want to develop CCC/Idaho Spgs. He has the contacts, knows the area better than most and has an even keel. I believe that he would have pulled off the park WITHOUT your involvement or Mojo's. Working with Smedley and developing CCC not just Area 28 should be a COMBA goal, as Jeffco will never allow the opportunites that the more remote CCC offers.

To schnauzers- I am not board material. I have been burned before and am too cynical. But that is what makes MTBR great- the a-holes can stir the pot electronically. And I am planning to ride the AZT 300, GLR, CTR and TU (ultra-endurance) races this year so I just want to volunteer trail building time. I just posted so maybe someone else would think about an Epic trail and what CCC/Area 28 can be and then others would talk and then maybe the masses would speak and we would have our own 60+ mile trail/bike park/new trail network that the whole world would envy.

To pmrider- maybe we should start a Herman Gulch to Golden ride ride just to show everyone the potential? Herman to Bard Creek to North Empire to Alice to Apex to Golden Gate to White Ranch? That is just one way to go but has some hidden gems of ST that many folks have never done up in CC/Gilpin Counties. Another route would go Bard Creek through Georgetown via Empire Pass to Silver Creek to Spring Creek to Warren Gulch to Echo hills to Elk Meadow to 3 sisters to Pence/Ofallen/Lair to MW to DR to GM. More ST on that one. The possibilites are staggering.

hehe ...you said "member"
    maybe we should start a Herman Gulch to Golden ride ride just to show everyone the potential? Herman to Bard Creek to North Empire to Alice to Apex to Golden Gate to White Ranch? That is just one way to go but has some hidden gems of ST that many folks have never done up in CC/Gilpin Counties. Another route would go Bard Creek through Georgetown via Empire Pass to Silver Creek to Spring Creek to Warren Gulch to Echo hills to Elk Meadow to 3 sisters to Pence/Ofallen/Lair to MW to DR to GM. More ST on that one. The possibilites are staggering.
    Wow, some great ideas for those epic rides! I obviously need to put in more time on the bike, as 25 miles has me smoked

The encouraging thing about this thread is, despite conflicting opinions, there is obviously a group of concerned riders out there. It's that concern for the future of our sport that we need to capture and foster, through discussion such as this. Obviously, most of us don't know Terry and the rest of the people looking to change CoMBA personally. But I find that $20, along with trying to get involved, on some level, is a small price to pay for an opportunity to positively impact the future of mountain biking in CO's front range.

I've got three kids who love to ride and are starting to get the taste for easy singletrack. As their skills grow, I can't wait to have them join me on "bigger" rides. This is the future of our sport, and I want to do what I can to protect these trails that we are lucky enough to have right in our own backyards.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I wanted to offer help, guidance and just about anything to Area 28 but got bad vibes from the DH group. They did not want any help from me much less my straight XC cohorts. Their vision was very narrow for the property in terms of progression or variety on the gravity side and was anti-XC. My post may have hinted to loyalties on that direction but I am as much behind your side as theirs. The situation is a perfect example of our recent problems getting technical trail built. IMO a dedicated trail building firm needs to be involved that has a track record of building legal gravity stuff (Steve Wentz and Co. are the best around here but the guys doing Valmont are pretty well known nationally).

I hope you guys can coexist. I felt that the Mojo group was inflexible and would destroy the work Smedley had done and for year one that looks to be correct. Let's hope you are right and that is past us. A DH- oriented park should have trail for all levels, XC, dirt jumps, a slalom course, a short track XC, freeride trails, etc. I will pm you as I want to be made aware af any future meetings and lend support to those folks who appreciate it. Meeting dates and times should be made available to the public IMO. I had no idea of any meeting until after it happened. The vision of the park should make sense with the overall plan for Clear Creek County. And I believe it should include the first dedicated section of West to East epic trail that could connect the Herman Gulch area to Golden via a series of 4wd roads and ST.

If MTBR is to be used for this purpose, we should know of meetings about Area 28 before they happen so we can attend (last year we only got reports after the fact). Everything should be out in the open. This park would be the biggest thing to happen to Metro Area mountain biking in 20 years if it bleeds into CCC (and possibly Jeffco) in the form of connector trails, signed directions on jeep routes, etc. The area is untapped and has trails and 4wd roads all over. Big Galoot and I did the Clear Creek Race with STS in 2007 and Galoot chose a route that was hard and amazing and gave me the idea for a Crest-type ride. If anything comes out of this I hope the tapping of CCC for an epic ride becomes reality.

Oh and Smedley deserves the credit here fellas. Not COMBA or Vince or whoever. He has been behind this project since before 2005 when I first saw the maps. He is the liasion you want to develop CCC/Idaho Spgs. He has the contacts, knows the area better than most and has an even keel. I believe that he would have pulled off the park WITHOUT your involvement or Mojo's. Working with Smedley and developing CCC not just Area 28 should be a COMBA goal, as Jeffco will never allow the opportunites that the more remote CCC offers.

To schnauzers- I am not board material. I have been burned before and am too cynical. But that is what makes MTBR great- the a-holes can stir the pot electronically. And I am planning to ride the AZT 300, GLR, CTR and TU (ultra-endurance) races this year so I just want to volunteer trail building time. I just posted so maybe someone else would think about an Epic trail and what CCC/Area 28 can be and then others would talk and then maybe the masses would speak and we would have our own 60+ mile trail/bike park/new trail network that the whole world would envy.

To pmrider- maybe we should start a Herman Gulch to Golden ride ride just to show everyone the potential? Herman to Bard Creek to North Empire to Alice to Apex to Golden Gate to White Ranch? That is just one way to go but has some hidden gems of ST that many folks have never done up in CC/Gilpin Counties. Another route would go Bard Creek through Georgetown via Empire Pass to Silver Creek to Spring Creek to Warren Gulch to Echo hills to Elk Meadow to 3 sisters to Pence/Ofallen/Lair to MW to DR to GM. More ST on that one. The possibilites are staggering.
    Excellent insight. We could use your passion and help!

And I agree wholeheartedly that Smedley is a driving force behind all of this. He certainly does and receives the credit he deserves.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the reminder. I just re-upped.

To throw in my two cents, you guys seemed very interested and articulate at the COMBA/Jeffco "meeting" (airing of grievances) many months ago. I know some of you involved and have great faith. Best of luck.

Pivot Rider
    I, like many of you, have been reading all this chatter with interest. Many good points are being made and there are obviously some burnt fingers from past experiences....seems like typical life, IMHO. However, I think the bottom line for me is that we must, as mtbrs, present a united front; one that we all support in one way or another. We ALL have opinions on how things should look, be run, importance rankings, etc. However, our advocacy group will have to look at all options, see what the political climate is and determine the best manner in which to present our position and to represent the mtbr community as a whole!

For our advocacy group to represent us ALL, we need to become active: attend meetings, work together, present ideas, etc. And for us to be able to do that, we need better communication, a better database, a better website, etc etc - from those being voted upon now and cohesion -- from the rest of us. Change has to start somewhere and I believe it starts with each and every one of us making a commitment to become involved in what matters to us. It's way too easy to be that "armchair" critic who has nothing to loose and has an opinion on everything.

Good ideas on trail expansion have been expressed. There is so much that can be done if we all work together! We could have the best kick-a$$ trail system in the world if we wanted -- for all the disciplines of mtbiking. It takes time (it won't happen overnight), it takes commitment, passion, the expression of ideas and working together (can we do that?), it takes good leadership (we're getting there) and it takes money (only 20 bucks).

All I know is that we, as the mtb community, are at a point where something needs to be done effectively. Granted, I know most of the peeps requesting our votes and I know what they are capable of achieving. I know that many of you may not know any of these peeps and you are concerned (maybe) where all this is going and how it may or may not affect you. However, whether you know these ppls or not, it really comes down to what are you, personally, willing to do to keep, sustain and expand our trails?

This is all IMHO -- I'm not speaking for anyone but myself and I know that many of these issues run much deeper than what I have expressed. I guess I just feel that change has to start somewhere......

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I, like many of you, have been reading all this chatter with interest. Many good points are being made and there are obviously some burnt fingers from past experiences....seems like typical life, IMHO. However, I think the bottom line for me is that we must, as mtbrs, present a united front; one that we all support in one way or another. We ALL have opinions on how things should look, be run, importance rankings, etc. However, our advocacy group will have to look at all options, see what the political climate is and determine the best manner in which to present our position and to represent the mtbr community as a whole!

For our advocacy group to represent us ALL, we need to become active: attend meetings, work together, present ideas, etc. And for us to be able to do that, we need better communication, a better database, a better website, etc etc - from those being voted upon now and cohesion -- from the rest of us. Change has to start somewhere and I believe it starts with each and every one of us making a commitment to become involved in what matters to us. It's way too easy to be that "armchair" critic who has nothing to loose and has an opinion on everything.

Good ideas on trail expansion have been expressed. There is so much that can be done if we all work together! We could have the best kick-a$$ trail system in the world if we wanted -- for all the disciplines of mtbiking. It takes time (it won't happen overnight), it takes commitment, passion, the expression of ideas and working together (can we do that?), it takes good leadership (we're getting there) and it takes money (only 20 bucks).

All I know is that we, as the mtb community, are at a point where something needs to be done effectively. Granted, I know most of the peeps requesting our votes and I know what they are capable of achieving. I know that many of you may not know any of these peeps and you are concerned (maybe) where all this is going and how it may or may not affect you. However, whether you know these ppls or not, it really comes down to what are you, personally, willing to do to keep, sustain and expand our trails?

This is all IMHO -- I'm not speaking for anyone but myself and I know that many of these issues run much deeper than what I have expressed. I guess I just feel that change has to start somewhere......
    Great points, YetiGirl. Let me just add this--in my law practice, i work extensively with 501(c)(3) entities. Those entities that get their goals accomplished have very deep coffers. While it may seem a bit crass or cynical, if CoMBA can really build up its coffers, both through membership and events, then I think it can go a LONG way to being an influential party when it comes time for management plans, etc.

Yappy little dog!
    I,

Exactly why Dave Slowey and Christine Smith NEED to be on that board. A board of friends is not a board that is going to be effective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Exactly why Dave Slowey and Christine Smith NEED to be on that board. A board of friends is not a board that is going to be effective.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Not everyone on the board is best ****ing friends, FWIW. They just share a like minded vision.

Stand back
    And they are who? At least the candidates with mtbr presence I know a little.
    Golden Bike Park

Yappy little dog!
    I wholeheartedly disagree. Not everyone on the board is best ****ing friends, FWIW. They just share a like minded vision.

We can agree to disagree, but Christine especially, is a person with far MORE experience that most of the people running. She was/is a volunteer patroller for JCOS. SHe lives the issues from each side of the fence. I would even argue that there are a couple of people of the friendship cruise that have actually been COUNTER productive to the cause and she will remain unmentioned.

Christine Smith
    Hello. My name is Christine Smith and I am honored to be nominated for the COMBA board. I have been involved with COMBA and its predecessor organizations since I moved to Golden in 2005. I have also participated in the Jefferson County Volunteer Patrol program. I am an avid mountain biker and chose Golden as home because of the great trail system. I feel strongly about volunteering for trail maintenance and mountain biking advocacy. My goal is to keep the exceptional trails we enjoy open to not only mountain bikers, but all trail users.

What I have to offer to the COMBA board is a balanced view from being on both sides of many issues that have affected the local mountain bike community in the past year. I would also like to continue to build the relationship with the many loyal volunteers who have made COMBA what it is today. I see COMBA as a grass roots effort to provide a medium for mountain bikers to give back to the trails and to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the officials who regulate our open space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I agree that we can agree to disagree.

Yappy little dog!
    And they are who? At least the candidates with mtbr presence I know a little.
    And there in lies the problem...

As I have said before, MTBR represents a very small number of Front Range riders. Those "lucky" enough to even belong to CoMBA have not been educated on the election process or the candidates. Thus, I would venture to say that of those voting most will be from here. Summarily, not the majority representation.

I also firmly believe that there is something not right about this election process. The fact that it did not work in the beginning and that people were asked to vote by email just wreaks of impropriety. Not saying that anyone would meaningfully do that, I'm just saying that it's not right. I would further suggest that a review of CoMBA's bylaws with regards to election process be done BEFORE anyone is given a position on the board from this election.

MFin' Princess
    We can agree to disagree, but Christine especially, is a person with far MORE experience that most of the people running. She was/is a volunteer patroller for JCOS. SHe lives the issues from each side of the fence. I would even argue that there are a couple of people of the friendship cruise that have actually been COUNTER productive to the cause and she will remain unmentioned.
    "She," is not really so unmentioned, seeing as I'm the only other female on the ballot. Come right out and say what you want to say. I just ask that you do so politely because we have a pretty good discussion going here.

I'm sincerely sorry if you disagree with my decision to challenge JCOS Yielding Traps in court, but the Ranger methods and polices were absolutely wrong, wholly unsound, unfair, and bad news for our user group. It needed to be done. And we won. And we did so being absolutely honest in court. There are details you do not know, please trust me on this. And for the record, every other court case, even those unrelated to ours, have been dismissed since, so apparently the court consistently agrees with our position, even though you may not.

In the end, I believe JCOS can and should seek to solve visitor conflicts with effective education, and fair rules and expectations for all user groups. This is not unreasonable. And I will not be intimidated into accepting misguided and impossibly biased policy because I'm afraid of backlash. Our user group should not either. When that's the case, we've already lost. Think about it, please.

Hello. My name is Christine Smith and I am honored to be nominated for the My goal is to keep the exceptional trails we enjoy open to not only mountain bikers, but all trail users.
    NO other user group is at risk for losing their access, to any degree. We are. And I do not need to pay, join, or serve a mountain bike group whose purpose is to keep the trails open to all user groups. Perhaps you do, but if that's the case you should have been extremely satisfied with COMBA's performance thus far.

The two people who have not signed onto Terry's plan were nominated by a current Director who bristles at the notion of mountain bike advocacy; in fact, one who absolutely refuses to represent COMBA as a Mountain Bike Advocacy group ... except "where necessary."

I believe everything COMBA does should be done from a perspective of mountain bike advocacy. To continue to allow COMBA to speak for the mountain bike community and simultaneously eshew its advocacy responsibility is intolterable!

That's why I'm on board with the new team and the new vision. Whoever shares it is welcome, in any role, in my book, and I would consider them very much friends in building a new COMBA.

MFin' Princess
    I also firmly believe that there is something not right about this election process. The fact that it did not work in the beginning and that people were asked to vote by email just wreaks of impropriety. Not saying that anyone would meaningfully do that, I'm just saying that it's not right. I would further suggest that a review of CoMBA's bylaws with regards to election process be done BEFORE anyone is given a position on the board from this election.
    I agree 100,000,000%.

MFin' Princess
    That's absolutely true. I would consider Terry a friend, but everyone else I only know as acquaintances from working with COMBA/IMBA issues. Heck I haven't met you, or Joe, and only met Adam once. I bought a pair of gloves from his shop.

Hardly a friendship cruise. But definitely, like minded, avid mountain bikers, with an absolute passion for the sport and its future.

Stand back
    We can agree to disagree, but Christine especially, is a person with far MORE experience that most of the people running.

Hello. My name is Christine Smith... I would also like to continue to build the relationship with the many loyal volunteers who have made COMBA what it is today. I see COMBA as a grass roots effort to provide a medium for mountain bikers to give back to the trails and to maintain a mutually beneficial relationship with the officials who regulate our open space.

Thanks for posting that - you've cleared up who is the better choice.
    Golden Bike Park

Yappy little dog!
    "She," is not really so unmentioned, seeing as I'm the only other female on the ballot. Come right out and say what you want to say. I just ask that you do so politely because we have a good discussion going here for all of us.

I'm sorry if you disagree with my decision to challenge JCOS Yielding Traps in court, but the Ranger methods and polices were absolutely wrong, wholly unsound, unfair, and bad news for our user group. It needed to be done. And we won. And we did so being absolutely honest in court. There are details you do not know, please trust me on this. And for the record, every other court case, even those unrelated to ours, have been dismissed since, so apparently the court consistently agrees with our position, even though you may not.
    OK, that was wrong of me.

I don't disagree with your decision to fight the ticket and I would love to to hear the other details. You can PM them to me and I will make a promise that I will not share them or speak to them with anyone.

I disagree that a continued outspoken argument in in our best interest. Sorry, people are people regardless of their position in government or the general public. We get pissed off and we retaliate. It's human nature.

As I have said before, I can be your best constituent or your biggest pain in the a$$. I even made the point today with some friends. The friendship cruise (sorry, I just like that name) seems to be targeting those who have never helped and have no intentions of ever helping. Since you are new to this, I'll give you some advice based on experience. Less than 1% of your membership will ever be active. Don't alienate them and don't promise the world. Of the vision posted, I see one potential success. Target it, focus on it, and reap the benefits of the success. Don't worry about Area What-Ever-It-is or pleasing all of Colorado. Worry about what is realistically attainable and what has already been negotiated. That will assure everyone a second year to go after the bigger fish.

In the end, I believe JCOS can and should seek to solve visitor conflicts with effective education, and fair rules and expectations for all user groups. This is not unreasonable. And I will not be intimidated into accepting misguided and unreasonably biased policy because I'm afraid of backlash. Our user group should not either. When that's the case, we've already lost. Think about it.
    Again, I speak from experience. In Philadelphia, we had one of IMBA's most publicized access issue. Mountain Bikers were to be banned from Wissahickon Park, one of the largest inner-city parks in the country (and a rather technical ride, I might add). The Delaware Valley Mountain Bike Patrol is credited with saving mountain bikers from that disaster. Through their good-will approach, active maintenance program, and the institution of a permit process, this park is one of the most visited mountain bike destinations in the Mid-Atlantic. To put this in perspective, on an average Saturday there are 10,000 users within the park. It's 9200 acres, but only 18 miles of trail. Yes, there are conflicts but very few in comparison to before the bike patrol. If CoMBA wants to succeed in educating, they need to start at the ground level. What is that? That's geeks (I'm one) in a mountain bike patrol with the "fairy" looking signs on the from of our bikes.

You want to do something in the right direction? Start an MBP in LOB. Make the fight worth the effort and show you have no animosity to the event.

NO other user group is at risk for losing their access, to any degree. We are. And I do not need to pay, join, or serve a mountain bike group whose purpose is to keep the trails open to all user groups. Perhaps you do Schnauzers, and if that's the case you should have been extremely satisfied with COMBA's contributions so far.

The two people who have not signed onto Terry's plan were nominated by a current Director who bristles at the notion of mountain bike advocacy; in fact, one who absolutely refuses to represent COMBA as a Mountain Bike Advocacy group -- except "where necessary."
    Trust me, I have no love for the current administration. I think if you look back at my posts, I have been outspoken about it. I also know things, you may not know. Anyone other than the current leader would be a blessing.

My money is in and my vote is cast. Just remember my main point. Don't alienate the ones that actually perform on a routine basis. Also, reach out to TET. I may not be there anymore, but I can tell you that there is capacity to help in more projects.

MFin' Princess
    Again, I speak from experience. In Philadelphia, we had one of IMBA's most publicized access issue. Mountain Bikers were to be banned from Wissahickon Park, one of the largest inner-city parks in the country (and a rather technical ride, I might add). The Delaware Valley Mountain Bike Patrol is credited with saving mountain bikers from that disaster. Through their good-will approach, active maintenance program, and the institution of a permit process, this park is one of the most visited mountain bike destinations in the Mid-Atlantic. To put this in perspective, on an average Saturday there are 10,000 users within the park. It's 9200 acres, but only 18 miles of trail. Yes, there are conflicts but very few in comparison to before the bike patrol. If CoMBA wants to succeed in educating, they need to start at the ground level. What is that? That's geeks (I'm one) in a mountain bike patrol with the "fairy" looking signs on the from of our bikes.

You want to do something in the right direction? Start an MBP in LOB. Make the fight worth the effort and show you have no animosity to the event.

Trust me, I have no love for the current administration. I think if you look back at my posts, I have been outspoken about it. I also know things, you may not know. Anyone other than the current leader would be a blessing.

My money is in and my vote is cast. Just remember my main point. Don't alienate the ones that actually perform on a routine basis. Also, reach out to TET. I may not be there anymore, but I can tell you that there is capacity to help in more projects.
    Philly?!!?!!? I shoulda known!! That explains so much (heh). BTW, I love that town.

Look, I know I didn't get your vote. And I'm cool with that. But I want to hear your opinion, and your experiences, and want to work with you, and everyone, on this. So, rather than pms ........ how 'bout I buy you a beer? I probably legitimately owe it to you, and can give you all the details then.

You know, all of us have lots of work to do and there's no reason in the world we can't have some fun doing it.

Thanks, sincerely. Lots.

Yappy little dog!
    Philly?!!?!!? I shoulda known!! That explains so much (heh). BTW, I love that town.

Look, I know I didn't get your vote. And I'm cool with that. But I want to hear your opinion, and your experiences, and want to work with you, and everyone, on this. So, rather than pms ........ how 'bout I buy you a beer? I probably legitimately owe it to you, and can give you all the details then.

You know, all of us have lots of work to do and there's no reason in the world we can't have some fun doing it.

Thanks, sincerely. Lots.
    Deal!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Wow, I go down to Silverton for the weekend and miss all the fun.

Where to start?

First, to be clear, I'm the guy running for the board who has some chops on the gravity side of things. I was floated the idea of running from Rontele after getting involved early on with the Area 28 project. After a bit of thought in both directions I thought it would be irresponsible to pass at the opportunity to represent the gravity side of the sport in an organization where they have generally been without a voice. I initially thought I would be thorn in the side of the "establishment" BoD. I had no idea of the scope of Terry's plan, I just thought it was cool that he thought a DH guy should be on the board, I could at least give a voice to the needs of this large and growing scene. I was prepared to be 'that guy', speaking up for the need for some sort of gravity trail or jump park that could at once help to relieve shuttle conflicts, help riders and racers develop as well as giving some credibility to our niche in cycling; possibly speaking to deaf ears, but at least making some waves.

As this movement has panned out, I actually have some relief in that regard. I know that if I get on the board, people will listen, and that is good. I'm not best bros with anybody in this election, I've ridden with Terry once, jasonb once (after a weekend of USFS crew leader training) and I used to try and get Adam to buy stuff from me. I've crossed paths with Anthony a number of times, but thats how it goes around here, many colliding orbits, but not necessarily a love-fest

No, I'm not part of any of our region's dominant gravity teams or posses. I've made the choice to remain a privateer when it comes to racing. I don't need the deals on gear and I've found that I am able to focus and do better at races when I can just do my own thing. I'm thinking this perspective may translate well into my role on the BoD, as I am not beholden to any specific group of DH people. I am going to do what is best for the sport as a whole, and listen to what everybody has to say, not just one shop, team or company. That said, I can talk to Wentz, Matty, Conroy, MikeMac, Lisa, Todd, Alex, Shawny, etc when it comes time to take the temp. of whatever is on my plate and ask for their help and opinions. I'm independent but not a stranger. He11, it looks like I'll be asking Dream4est for some input, I know hes always got big ideas. (You're back up at Wilson's yes? I have a bike to jump on again so I'll be making it back up there dood, we'll talk)

So thats about it for now. I'd be stoked to hear back from anybody, gravity-fed or otherwise, on what I could do to make your mtn biking experience better in the front range.

Cheers,
    Joe Hanrahan

ps: TVC does this earn me a beer?
    Last edited by flowtron; 12-28-2008 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Rest assured that as soon as a new board is seated, the first order of business is to amend and restate the current (and horribly inadequate) Bylaws to comport with current best practices.

MFin' Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    Cheers,
    Joe Hanrahan

ps: TVC does this earn me a beer?
    Absolutely. Cheers ... indeed!

And thank you, so, so, so very much, for helping to make this happen.

Pivot Rider

Whew!

after all this dialogue, I need a beer...... uhmmm.. well, I guess maybe we all do!

Big Boned
    Jason B. will serve you well.
    Ha ha ha. Aho. Hee hee ha. Ho ha ha. And I thought my jokes were bad.

The way I see it, if you have $20 to spend and you want to see trails get built, there are far more reliable things you could spend your money on. But what do I know?

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense

The way I see it, if you have $20 to spend and you want to see trails get built, there are far more reliable things you could spend your money on. But what do I know?
    But also legal and within Jeffco?
    Golden Bike Park

Big Boned
    But also legal and within Jeffco?
    Oh, Ned Flanders, you are a hoot. You can use your tool anywhere and in any way you'd like. You don't need to ask my permission. After all, it's yours! The real tragedy would be wasting your money on something utterly useless. Silly goose.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3LPdTXRjIKQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3LPdTXRjIKQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member

Yappy little dog!

Too bad we can't charge certain people to use what gets built on national land. Oh wait we can! Enjoy your romp at the ski areas. I'm sure you don't mind paying them more than $20 each time you want to drive 2+ hours to get there.

Some group will get your $20 one way or another.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

More voting

Well, I signed up and voted.

I sincerely hope that in Dec '09 I look back and find that $20 to be well spent. I have my doubts but please prove me wrong.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    BTW, just voted my picks. Couldn't bring myself to vote for that knuckledragging flowtron though... his christmas card just really turned me off this year

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Here's the scoop - I've met with COMBA leadership and have read comments from members/pundants on this forum over the years. You'll also note that I seldom post on this website. Reason - consider that I don't want/need the exposure.

That being said - I have this problem with COMBA. Call it a hunch or... a feeling. I'm uneasy with those who represent mountain bikers. In other words, I'm not comfortable with those that I have met, corresponded with, and their comments on this forum. This uneasiness with those who are supposed to represent my passion leaves me with a "sick" feeling. I don't want COMBA and the established leaders representing me as a constituent. It's not so much that our views are different (sometimes yes - sometimes no) it's more their attitude, approach to resolving our issues, and that fact that I don't really like these people. Rude - perhaps. It's hard to communicate an issue like this in print without sounding like an *ss. Nevertheless, I'm going on record. I do stand by my hunch as they are usually correct.

Why do I say this? Because I'd like to see COMBA dissolve and start with a clean slate. I'm curious if anyone else feels this way...

Moving forward - until there is some sort of a major change/revelation with COMBA, I'm not a fan. Unfortunately for this group, I do have some small ability to impact other's views on this subject.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by poppywilly

Why do I say this? Because I'd like to see COMBA dissolve and start with a clean slate. I'm curious if anyone else feels this way...

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but CoMBA (or the entity that it has been) has dissolved and recreated on a few occasions.

Remaining an anonymous InterWebzDude doesn't help the situation (whether you are for or against mountain bikers advocating the cause).

GET INVOLVED! If you don't, your comments will not make a difference.

Stand back
    I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but CoMBA (or the entity that it has been) has dissolved and recreated on a few occasions.

Remaining an anonymous InterWebzDude doesn't help the situation (whether you are for or against mountain bikers advocating the cause).

GET INVOLVED! If you don't, your comments will not make a difference.

+1

Post of the week.
    Golden Bike Park

Big Boned
    [QUOTE=schnauzers]Too bad we can't charge certain people to use what gets built on national land. Oh wait we can! Enjoy your romp at the ski areas. I'm sure you don't mind paying them more than $20 each time you want to drive 2+ hours to get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MFin' Princess
    +1

Post of the week.
    I'll second that.

mtbr member

a voice of reason

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Without a wide range of voices and participation, small volunteer based advocacy groups like COMBA will not be effective. All to often only a few people do the vast majority of the work and since they are not getting paid they are operating on passion and commitment to the cause, but a few people does not make an organization.
    let's all read that again...
    -

mtbr member

Wink want something done right? do it yourself...

Besides, who's to say the improvements would be improvements that I want?
    exactly.
    so get involved and see to it, personally, that the improvements will indeed be what you're after... why do you think i got involved? i didn't want to leave it to chance that my future access to trails was going to be left in the hands of people i didn't know and policies i might not agree with. imagine if a majority of people felt that way, we'd have an active organization of hundreds of members doing a little bit of work instead of a few members doing a lot of work.

so you've got choices:
    • get involved (control your own destiny)
    • support those who are willing to (requires a bit of faith)
    • do nothing (hope for the best)

i chose A. hopefully others will, too, or if not, at least choose B.
    -

mtbr member

more words of wisdom

...let's all read that again.
    -

mtbr member

vision first, plan to follow

That is NOT a plan. That is a VISION.
    indeed.
    a PLAN would be formulated by the Board of Directors. my role, as i see it, will be (in part) to inspire action by providing a vision. since i'm looking to succeed, i'm hoping to surround myself w/ smart, engaged, dare i say passionate, people who—though we may not agree on everything—have common goals for the betterment of our chosen way of life/recreation, on the trail.
    -

mtbr member

Listen! bill said it best

CoMBA obviously does need a name change and a focus. Until that happens, I don't foresee anything huge happening.
    well, i'm doing my d@mnedest to work on the focus.

as for the other:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title.
    -

mtbr member
    IMO a dedicated trail building firm needs to be involved that has a track record of building legal gravity stuff . . . A DH- oriented park should have trail for all levels, XC, dirt jumps, a slalom course, a short track XC, freeride trails, etc.
    we are in agreement on these points, fine sir. others are not. that is the nature of politics and therefore a reality which must be addressed as this project progresses. so be it. nobody said it'd be easy.

To pmrider- maybe we should start a Herman Gulch to Golden ride ride just to show everyone the potential? . . . The possibilites are staggering.
    let's make that happen. seriously.
    potential—like a latent image on film—isn't worth much w/o action.

count me in.
    -

mtbr member

New question here. do tell

Quote Originally Posted by poppywilly
    This uneasiness with those who are supposed to represent my passion leaves me with a "sick" feeling. . . . Nevertheless, I'm going on record. . . . Moving forward - until there is some sort of a major change/revelation with COMBA, I'm not a fan. Unfortunately for this group, I do have some small ability to impact other's views on this subject.
    you have us at a disadvantage, as you claim to know us, but we do not know you, by name? typically "going on record" means attributing your conviction to your identification. should you wish to remain anonymous, that is your right, but your statements then carry little weight– anyone w/ an MTBR ID could say the same.

you claim to have influence, so why not yield it in a positive manner?

fwiw, this new year—assuming my "team" is indeed elected—will see the biggest "major change/revelation" w/in the organization, at least w/in the last several years to my knowledge.

we all got an earful of this in the 24 months preceding november 4th– do you want change or more of the same? in this case, "more of the same" is probably fine, but "change" has the potential to be better.

$.02
    -

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    well, i'm doing my d@mnedest to work on the focus.

as for the other:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
    Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
    What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
    Retain that dear perfection which he owes
    Without that title.
    Well played. Terry FTW.

Members who have read this thread: 0