contains quinine

One less cyclist. Jeffco cyclist killed.

<a href="http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/4512483/detail.html">Just read this about a cyclist getting killed in Jeffco last night.</a>

Sucks.

Turns out, last night I was commuting home and had an incident that required use of 9-1-1. I had hit Marshall Mesa/Community Ditch, and rode back over towards Superior/Louisville on Marshall Road, which has a lot of cyclists and not a lot of shoulder. I'm super vigilent about staying as right as possible because there's not a lot of room for traffic and bikes.

So where does someone buzz me? Once I'm riding in the bike line on Marshall Road near StupidTarget. And as an added bonus, the fat cow of a woman in the passenger seat yells in my ear as they're 8 inches away from my elbow. Well, that sort of behavior pisses me off. And then these people get stopped at the next stoplight. So, I'm pissed, I pull up in front of their car (and in the other lane to give myself some space) and stare at them. Bubba gets out of the back seat, and tells me to f*ck off, get off the road. I look at him and ask what they thought they were doing (in not so pleasant terms) and he then starts yelling something about kicking my ass.

Well, I'm not a fighter, and I'm not going to throw down with bubba who outwieghs me by 75 pounds. I point at the front of the car, repeat his plate number, and ride directly towards the pay phone on the corner. Call 9-1-1. Give a description of what happened, and where the car was headed. They said they'd call me if they were able to do anything. I guess nothing happened.

It's bad enough that I've got to watch out for ignorant drivers. Watching out for the ones pointing a 3000 pound weapon of mass destuction at me really irks me.

Be careful out there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    From the article:
    "He was charged with careless driving causing death, a misdemeanor traffic offense."

Geez. Glad you got out of your confrontation unscathed dbaser, stuff like this not only makes me nervous but angry. I was contemplating doing some bike commuting to/from Boulder in the coming weeks, but everytime I hear stories like these two I rethink that.

Perpetually single track
    Umm isn't that close to where Josh rides? S1ingletrack u okay dude?

Perpetually single track
    Geezus Bryan...I wish I was with, course then maybe I'd have gotten shot. I HATE *******s like that. I'm enraged just sitting here. That's one of the main reasons I don't road ride more...Rocks to the face I handle pretty well, not so much with 2000lbs of metal/plastic/*******.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser

Well, I'm not a fighter, and I'm not going to throw down with bubba who outwieghs me by 75 pounds.
    One day Bubba and Co. will scream at the wrong cyclist, and Bubba will gain new perspective on life.

Glad to hear that you emerged from the experience no worse for the wear.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Umm isn't that close to where Josh rides? S1ingletrack u okay dude?
    Yeah, I just talked to him a few minutes ago about something else. Besides, Josh would probably j-hop the oncoming truck and do some slick little transition move over the tailgate.....

The idea of taking a head-on from a speeding truck is no laughing matter though. It pissed me off too when I saw that "misdemeanor" part of the article. People who run over cyclist through negligence should receive the same punishment I recommend for those who throw trash and cigs out of their cars: execution.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I HATE *******s like that.
    Preach it - I'd have beat that f*ckwit unconscious.

I'm fine BTW Kirk - I haven't even read the article yet, the vein in my forehead is throbbing too hard to see straight
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 05-20-2005 at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    be careful out there db. cars hurt. but i got a solution for the bubbas out there. ride a qr seat clamp and grind the lower edge of your seat post into an impaling weapon. i had to do this in southern colorado in the mid 90's and it came in handy (did it initially cause punks were threatening to steal my rig right from under me in broad daylight). twice. theres a backwoods fuk down there with a 200 stitch scar so trust me it works. im not promoting violence just self defense. and if a bear/mtn lion comes along you have a weapon to save your life. it beats packing heat.
    Divide Bike Bags

locked - time out

locked - time out
    It is kind of spooky , given the incident I had last week that I mentioned in "Strange sightings in Boulder" where some idiot in an F350 almost took me out doing exactly the same thing. Stranger still -at least in my mind considering that Ram 1500 that flipped off of the road on the same spot where I was almost taken out by the Ford (within 150 feet, saw the skid marks last night) 2 or 3 days ago while trying to pass a car going down the canyon..

OOooooEEEEeeOOOooooo!!

I've entertained the idea of carrying pepper spray for dogs, etc.. on my commute

It is kind of odd that they do not mention the name of the cyclist is the article, does anyone know him / her?

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    It is kind of odd that they do not mention the name of the cyclist is the article, does anyone know him / her?
    Probably have to notify next of kin.

Dreamforest, nice idea on the seat post...I like it. Hear kitty kitty!
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Holy sh!t... on both! What a senseless waste of life. Some jack@ss who was drunk, running late, pissed off, whatever and in the process killed another person. I hope he does some serious time - vehicular homicide I assume, although I have no idea what that usually results in. Probably three years and paroled after 12 months. I make a point to always drive cautiously. With that much steel going that fast, it doesn't take much for catastrophy to strike.

And I don't know what I'd do if I caught someone at a light or something who was that much in the wrong and endangered my life needlessly. I've gotten in shouting matches on the road, but never was in the situation where traffic was stopped. If the conditions were right, I'd start something. (Read "conditions were right" as "I think I could kick the dude's @ss.") The few things I'd be sensitive to would be...
    - wearing roadie shoes since I can barely even walk in em, much less throw a punch
    - women, children, elderly... dogs
    - multiple dudes - that's just a recipe for disaster
    - big, mean looking dudes - tatoos and stuff

So that leaves me going medieval on some scrawny little dude who buzzed me with his Geo Speck. Bring it biatch!

Anyway, it is really scary and sad how a significant segment of the driving public has this inate hatred towards people riding bikes. Why is that? S

contains quinine
    I'll be out there again today. I'll be keeping an eye out for bubba's minivan. I've been passed by cars to close, and yelled at plenty of times, but both at once... "A misdemeanor traffic offense." Dumbasses in cars might as well be pointing a gun at my head as they drive by.

Another thing that pisses me off is that they could have just as easily done this to my wife who's starting to ride road, and I don't know if she would have been able to stay off the pavement being startled like that.

Anyway, everybody be safe. Watch out for bubbas.

starladear
    try this next time you catch up. get them to open their windows and get one of those fogger mace bear repellants and do them heavy. there will be no big bubba dik wad sayin anything andas you know already they arent gonna get any liscense plate especially since they will be chocking on their own words and mace. just make sure you get the spray on them not you. i save this for the special as$holes like the one your talking about. the cops never do anything about this stuff like bikers getting grazed so self preservation becomes a must. be safe

starladear
    Quote Originally Posted by dream4est
    be careful out there db. cars hurt. but i got a solution for the bubbas out there. ride a qr seat clamp and grind the lower edge of your seat post into an impaling weapon. i had to do this in southern colorado in the mid 90's and it came in handy (did it initially cause punks were threatening to steal my rig right from under me in broad daylight). twice. theres a backwoods fuk down there with a 200 stitch scar so trust me it works. im not promoting violence just self defense. and if a bear/mtn lion comes along you have a weapon to save your life. it beats packing heat.

the only thing i wouldnt suggest is carrying any item that someone else can turn around and use on you in a bad way. mace works and immobilizes and is legal to carry and use in self defense. if your not satisfied yet watching them screaming in pain on the floor then and only then kick them while they are down and tell em not to ever fu@k with a biker again.

contains quinine
    From the Post's website:

"The bicyclist was pronounced dead at the scene and no positive identification has been made at this time." he said. Ahlquist was reported to be uninjured.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

bicyclists arent the only ones....

this is aweful, just wrong!

im also a motorcyclist and a member of the AMA (american motorcyclist assn) and they are constantly (the AMA) battling the legislation for the car drivers who kill or injure bikers. i dont even wanna go into the senator Janklow story. talk about someone who needs to be..., what was it the one poster said about those who throw trash and cig butts out??

anyways....

seriously, be on the lookout fellas. theyre crazy out there.

mike

(i like the seat idea too)

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack

I've entertained the idea of carrying pepper spray for dogs, etc.. on my commute

I carry pepper spray in an easy to reach side pocket on my camelback. A local ride where I came across 4 unleashed dogs, two of them rotweillers and all nipping at me as I tried to ride away from them, all the time the dog owner chuckling, precipitated my action. I like dogs, but I'll take one out in a second if he focks with me.
    I also carry a small pepperspray in the car as well, should bubba ever get out of hand with me when I'm cage bound.

Inflexable...
    This is why I stopped riding the road in San Diego. It seemed too dangerous and frequently threatening. I decided that I would rather be taken out by a rock, or a cliff or a lion than someone not paying attention (or of malice) in a car.

I am 'sharpening' my seatpost and buying mace...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

The Amazing Shrinking Man

Upset This kinda crap happens in Indiana too!

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine got run off the N. Ninth street bridge out north of town. Good point, he landed in the river in a deep enough spot he wasn't hurt! Bad side, his bike was graunched going over the guardrail AND he couldn't swim. Fortunately there was a fisherman near that pulled him into the boat! I'm stickin' to trails, much safer! Actually, IMHO; it's safer to try a 75 foot freestyle drop!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

I do small drops.
    Down here in Motown, a few years back, a bunch of idiotic teenage drop-outs decided to make the most of their lives by running bikes off the road. They managed to successfully hurt about 5 bikers, real bad (the roads here are fast roads) and get away somehow. Rumors flew, but there was no concrete evidence to arrest them. Then, one day, the best thing ever happened. They pulled alongside a road biker, who managed to grab onto the vehicle and jump inside. Once inside (Not sure, but I think it was a Jeep with the top off) the biker proceeded to punch the kids senseless, and f%ucking up the vehicle pretty badly along the way. There were no charges on either side when the police came, but we all know who won that battle.

Also, I went on my first real road ride of the season today. School is out for us Seniors, and I realized just how big of an ******* most teenage drivers are. They don't go around when there is room, and when there's not room they don't even slow down. Oh well, that's life. This road biking thing is sounding less and less appealing every day. Like said, I'd rather suffer the beating of a rock, tree, or cliff than that of some jerkoff on the highway.
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I carry pepper spray in an easy to reach side pocket on my camelback. A local ride where I came across 4 unleashed dogs, two of them rotweillers and all nipping at me as I tried to ride away from them, all the time the dog owner chuckling, precipitated my action. I like dogs, but I'll take one out in a second if he focks with me.
    I also carry a small pepperspray in the car as well, should bubba ever get out of hand with me when I'm cage bound.
    renny you seem to have bad luck with the doggies. what do you have like alpo in your pocket on bike/moto rides? j/k hope things are well with the old body. mine is kinda sh*t at the moment. hand problems for me.
    Divide Bike Bags