OHV type sticker for mountain bikes- Mtbr.com

Poll: OHV type sticker for mountain bikes

This poll will close on 01-16-2020 at 09:43 AM

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

OHV type sticker for mountain bikes

Just starting a poll to see who would be in favor for starting a OHV type sticker for mountain bikes. I know the state of CO has a program for OHV (ATV, Motorcycle, and SXS) Looking to see if we can get some support for a program like this for bikes. Basically we could mirror the OHV program and supply titles and stickers for Mtn bikes. All bikes would have a title and would help with bike thefts. All of the funding after direct costs would go into funding trails and education for the entire state. What do you think?

Yes
    No
    Maybe

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If you count my wife's, we have seven MTBs. No flipping way am I buying seven stickers.

Maybe if there were a transferable type tag, if 100% of the money went toward trails. Maybe. It would depend on where and what type of trails.

If there is an MTB "license" there should be a hiking license as well.

mtbr member
    This is a dumb idea. It's like voting to raise taxes. No thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'd probably quit riding a bicycle if I had to pay the state a registration fee, no matter the cost.

California has a reasonablally price green sticker valid for 2 years.
    Sure do think the idea isn't very promising if a bicycle required a registration.

I don't think it would help with theft a single bit. Gotta have resources available to "keep an eye out" for a stolen bike on the trails. Who's going to follow up an an APB?

Funding trail work, no way.

mtbr member
    You forgot the option for "HELL NO!"

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You must be from California?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    My EXACT thoughts. While bike theft is obviously a problem, this would do very little if anything to curb that. There are too many bikes and not enough law enforcement types out there to enforce it anyway. In any case, when I read the title, I thought the OP was going to suggest we use the money from the fees to obtain new land to ride in....like the OHV program was designed to work but of course never has. They use the money to close lands and pay law enforcement to write tickets on land that is already open to OHV's. The whole program is a complete clusterF.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I never log in to MTBR on my PC, but did today just to vote 'NO' on this. We need more government involvement in mountain biking, or anything else, like we need a hole in our heads.

Mark
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    In any case, when I read the title, I thought the OP was going to suggest we use the money from the fees to obtain new land to ride in....like the OHV program was designed to work but of course never has. They use the money to close lands and pay law enforcement to write tickets on land that is already open to OHV's. The whole program is a complete clusterF.

I asked the same question about 12 years ago and got the same response he's getting now. I was really surprised to see him asking the West Slope forum.

With the number of closures and public land that has never been opened to public access I can't see why anyone would support another fee/tax.

And my understanding of OHV fees though is that they were for construction and maintenance, they could never generate enough for land purchases.

mtbr member
    Given we all own multiple bikes, and license for them all would be costly, I would think a rider license would be appropriate, but then I think I would rather leave the government out of this all together, and support my local trail club to fight for trails and maintain what open.

Instead of a government mandate, we all should realize the costs of our sport need some financing, and support grass roots organizations that can make a positive impact on our local riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    support grass roots organizations that can make a positive impact on our local riding.
    This, obviously.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityryder26 View Post
    This is a dumb idea. It's like voting to raise taxes. No thanks
    Agree 100%. Now if you wanted volunteers to build/maintain & educate new riders. You'd be on to something.

mtbr member
    If it makes more people quit riding bikes so the trails aren't so crowded and the money goes towards legit trail crews who know how to build features that work I'm 100% in all day every day.

Also, FWIW you guys using the excuse that you have a half a dozen ($7,000?!) bikes but can't afford a $25.25 sticker that benefits the trails sounds ridiculous and you're what's wrong with our scene.
    Denver, CO

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I live in Idaho, and some of the OHV folks want bicycles to get tags. I ride dirt bikes, but I don't get why any mtb'er would even suggest this. The only reason for tags is to increase funding for trail work and advocacy. That can be done as a volunteer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    I live in Idaho, and some of the OHV folks want bicycles to get tags. I ride dirt bikes, but I don't get why any mtb'er would even suggest this. The only reason for tags is to increase funding for trail work and advocacy. That can be done as a volunteer.
    So OHV trail work isn't allowed to use volunteers? Believe it or not in a lot of places dirt bikes and mountain bikes share singletrack. Why is it ok for mountain bikes to volunteer but OHV has to pay? I don't follow your logic. Purpose built MTB trail needs a lot more maintenance than properly built OHV...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    If it makes more people quit riding bikes so the trails aren't so crowded and the money goes towards legit trail crews who know how to build features that work I'm 100% in all day every day.

Also, FWIW you guys using the excuse that you have a half a dozen ($7,000?!) bikes but can't afford a $25.25 sticker that benefits the trails sounds ridiculous and you're what's wrong with our scene.
    First off, OHV fees are yearly (or at least bi-yearly depending on the state) and at least where I live, the OHV fees never get used for their intended purpose and get raided like Social Security by the state gov't to cover other shortfalls. You are clueless if you think the majority of any fees covered by the government will be used for their intended purpose. I'm going to guess that you're a fan of Bernie Sanders.
    Carpe Diem!!

jja
    mtbr member
    NO! Are you serious? Stop trolling please, otherwise go back to San Jose or Atlanta, but don't try this there either, thanks!

A real reply for Colorado: something like this might be given to Parks & Wildlife, which took over hunting & fishing licenses as a cash grab to pay for the bankrupt state parks. They promptly raised fees and added new fees. No thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the idea. I have two bikes. I would like to pay someone yearly to be able to ride my bike. I also own two hammers. I would too like to be able to register them, so when ever I have to use them, I would need a registration.

I have 8 or 9 forks and just as many spoons. I hope to get them registered someday so I would have the honor of paying someone to use them when I eat.

Anything else you would like for me to register to be able to use?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by maddslacker View Post
    Thatís the option I voted for, you didnít see it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Not only no, but HELL NO! Cycling is one of the last true freedoms we have in this country. No permission slips required. You'll probably also run into a roadblock in the fact that cycling is included in our "right to travel", which supersedes government approval.

Aside from that, the MTB community already has a robust volunteer community. Contrast that with the OHV community who has to be the most apathetic group I've ever encountered in my life.....because they already "paid their fair share" by ponying up for a sticker or six.

Horrible idea!

trailpimp
    Jul 2007
    If it would make more trails, better trails, and helped keep people safe, why not? A $25.00 sticker is not going to hurt a single person who rides mtb. (especially in this day and age of $60.00 tires)

CJ: Who is to dictate what is considered a "true freedom" in this country? Right to bear arms? Right to drive jeeps? Right to ride motorcycles? Right to hike? Right to ride horses? Right to fish?

For those opposed: Do you think the existing OHV sticker system should be in place? Would you be in favor of abolishing the system?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
    in this day and age of $60.00 tires?
    I won't pay $60 for a tire either.

Not everyone is obsessed with spending as much as possible on biking. If you are, please donate as much as you want to your local trail organization, but feel free to leave the rest of our wallets alone.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Motocrosser gone mtb
    So we could give the government more money to waste, You gotta be kidding me!
    https://youtu.be/AdClskxRY1I
    Goose DJ Ride Day

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Hell no. The idea is total bullshit and just gives rangers another meaningless task and reason to harass bikers. You would have to do this for all bikes, not just mountain bikes. Next you will need a license, insurance, smog, dot helmet........
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    If this was to come to fruition, you would not get the benefit you think or they are pitching you. Look at the "Adventure Pass" in SoCal for EXACT example of where user fees promised more access, more facilities, more trails. It has resulted in ZERO improvements and just an enforcement money pool for the agencies.

Read the link below for a quick summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...Adventure_Pass

Once one state does it, the others will follow and we're all screwed.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hopalong View Post
    For those opposed: Do you think the existing OHV sticker system should be in place? Would you be in favor of abolishing the system?
    Apples and oranges.

In a perfect world, yes, I'd like to see OHV transition back to a voluntary model, but in the present climate of wilder-nuts constantly attacking every single inch of motorized legal trail, booby traps being set, etc. OHV needs the funding just to survive, and they aren't going to get it anywhere else.

Cyclists on the other hand are the golden children of cities looking to attract a young and active workforce, with bike lanes, trails, and funding from various sources being thrown at them without anyone even asking for them. They (we) don't need any "help" from a system as has been developed around OHV use imho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    ...Cyclists on the other hand are the golden children of cities looking to attract a young and active workforce....
    Maybe. Over the past 20 years in the high-tech industries I've worked in, cyclists comprised maybe 2% of the workforce...and 1/2 of those were mamils or geezers like me.
    Do the math.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Maybe. Over the past 20 years in the high-tech industries I've worked in, cyclists comprised maybe 2% of the workforce...and 1/2 of those were mamils or geezers like me.
    Reality plays no role in these schemes. Pay no attention to the fact that only 3% of workers in the protected bike lane utopias of Portland and SanFran actually commute by bike. It's all about making the top of the "best places for Millennials to move to", and "best outdoor adventure town" lists.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Reality plays no role in these schemes. Pay no attention to the fact that only 3% of workers in the protected bike lane utopias of Portland and SanFran actually commute by bike. It's all about making the top of the "best places for Millennials to move to", and "best outdoor adventure town" lists.
    ditto, there is no reality in asking for a tax without outlining some type of goals and rules for how the money will be spent. It's just another money grab for pet projects with an open checkbook, probably drummed up by hiking groups using bicycles as a front like they do with "bike trails" or "bike paths" all the time.

I would change "millenials" to hipsters though. We, Gen X, were just as maligned when we became adults as the millenials are today. And rightly so. Young adults are idealistic morons in general and believe in ridiculous things like "Gold Bicycle Awards". We were useful idiots. Fortunately some of us wake up and learn from our mistakes.

But hipsters, hipsters goes across generations. It's a specific type of person rooted in vanity and ignorance. They don't learn from mistakes. They are hipsters for life and they will die believing a Gold Bicycle Award actually means something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    ditto, there is no reality in asking for a tax without outlining some type of goals and rules for how the money will be spent. It's just another money grab for pet projects with an open checkbook, probably drummed up by hiking groups using bicycles as a front like they do with "bike trails" or "bike paths" all the time.

I would change "millenials" to hipsters though. We, Gen X, were just as maligned when we became adults as the millenials are today. And rightly so. Young adults are idealistic morons in general and believe in ridiculous things like "Gold Bicycle Awards". We were useful idiots. Fortunately some of us wake up and learn from our mistakes.

But hipsters, hipsters goes across generations. It's a specific type of person rooted in vanity and ignorance. They don't learn from mistakes. They are hipsters for life and they will die believing a Gold Bicycle Award actually means something.
    Gives them something to post on Farcebook about.
    Isn't that the litmus test these days?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    ...But hipsters, hipsters goes across generations. It's a specific type of person rooted in vanity and ignorance. They don't learn from mistakes. They are hipsters for life and they will die believing a Gold Bicycle Award actually means something.
    I vote for an OHV type sticker for fixies and single-speeds.
    Do the math.