mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Offered a job in Boulder....where to live?

I got a job offer in the Boulder area and we are starting to look for places to live. We have two kids under 5 so we are looking for a family/kid friendly area, and I'd like to live close to trails (20 min drive??). We live in Co Springs now and am spoiled with Cheyenne canyon and Palmer park being 10 min drives away.

My office will be out on Diagonal hwy (technically, in Gunbarrel?) so we are looking to live somewhere that will give me a reasonable commute. Anyone have recommendations of places to check out?

ride
    Lyons, of course! Easy commute to Gunbarrel and I can't think of a better place to raise kids. The schools here are great, as is the sense of community. I am completely biased, though. It's why I live here.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

lucky enough
    Gunbarrel itself has options. Is your salary high enough to let you rent/buy in Boulder? If not then you'll have to look at Lyons, Longmont, maybe Niwot, Lafayette, Louisville, Superior. As far as commuting goes, now most people commute into Boulder so the roads driving in have high volumes at rush hour. It's nice to live in Boulder and drive to the edge of town or just out of it so you're on the less crowded side of the road.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gunbarrel and Boulder both suck if your a mountain biker who likes to ride instead of drive to ride and pose in the parking lot. Especially if you have limited ride time which with 2 kids I would assume you do. Do you want to waste that ride time driving to the trails or actually on your bike. If driving and posing at the trailhead is your thing Boulder is perfect.

Lyons is where I would recommend. 20 minutes on back roads to Gunbarrel and trails right out your door. I don't know about schools as ours is too young but she'll be going to school in Lyons but if ignazjr says the schools are good I'd take his word.

Also, check out Longmont but the commute to Gunbarrel while not soul crushing can be a PITA depending on time of day, weather, etc. Someone can chime in with more Longmont knowledge but I don't think there is any real trails rideable from town but road riding is easy and there are nice bike paths.

ride
    The housing market in Longmont is definitely in your favor as well. Last I checked, Longmont was still a buyers market.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post

Also, check out Longmont but the commute to Gunbarrel while not soul crushing can be a PITA depending on time of day, weather, etc. Someone can chime in with more Longmont knowledge but I don't think there is any real trails rideable from town but road riding is easy and there are nice bike paths.
    Anything off Airport road is super easy to Gunbarrel. I was able to make it home in 15 minutes whenever the lights were in my favor (7-4ish shift, later can be crappier). 35 minute bike commute too if that's your sort of thing.

Riding from town? Sure! Rode Hall from town today. All Lyons is easily accessible via bike if you don't mind the 40 minute ride there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Rolling
    Gunbarrel and Boulder both suck if your a mountain biker who likes to ride instead of drive to ride and pose in the parking lot. Especially if you have limited ride time which with 2 kids I would assume you do. Do you want to waste that ride time driving to the trails or actually on your bike. If driving and posing at the trailhead is your thing Boulder is perfect.

Lyons is where I would recommend. 20 minutes on back roads to Gunbarrel and trails right out your door. I don't know about schools as ours is too young but she'll be going to school in Lyons but if ignazjr says the schools are good I'd take his word.

Ouch.

I live in Gunbarrel. I work in South Boulder. I ride to work every day and sometimes use the bus with a combo commute.

I would not live in anywhere else as a matter of fact while I'm working in South Boulder.. I would love to live in Lyons, if I worked there or was retired. But when someone spends 5/7ths of a week dealing with work, maybe they need to weigh 5/7 of their decision on where they live related to work. I'm not a person who wants to spend 1.5 hours commuting in a car. I hate cars in fact.

I live by lots of open space. I generally ride to south boulder, do the Marshall Mesa system and also ride to Heil Ranch using backroad trails all the way to Hall Ranch.

As driving is concerned, Gunbarrel is in a neat zone that is not too far from Golden and Not too far from Fort Collins, plus you can take the bus from Gunbarrel and connect all the way to Nederland--a rare bit of awesomeness. Ride Ned and Ride home.

In addition, I think Gunbarrel has the best value in housing in the whole county. The only thing that sucks here is the restaurants and the drive to the airport. But even then, HWY 52 is a good route.

If you want to know the secret of Gunbarrel, PM me. I've loved my 17 years here--and will continue to do so.

The thing that would suck for the OP is the commute to work on a bike would suck due to being so short.

Thus I vote, Longmont or Niwot.

Thread Terrorist
    I used to work in gunbarrel and commute from Golden. It's not a bad haul (30 -35 min). But you're so much closer to trails and I-70. But everyone is right, Lyons would be good. Longmont is too far from the mountains, and has too many gangs.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We were in Denver yesterday and decided to spend the afternoon driving through a few Boulder areas. While probably the most affordable, Longmont was just too far East on Diagonal Hwy for our preferences. I think we'll consider Gunbarrel and that's probably as far East on Diagonal that we'll go.
    My wife loved Louisville and that's probably an area we'll try and pursue. Just to get a gauge, how far a drive am I looking at to get to some good trails from Louisville? I'm not opposed to having to drive to a trail, but Louisville will make me think harder if it's going to be a hour + drive each way.
    We also went up to Lyons and while I love it, it's a bit too out of the way for my wife. She stays home with the kids and wants to be in more of an urban area. Is Lyons the primary area for the Boulder area trailheads?
    We'll probably check out Golden next week. A 35 minute commute is definitely reasonable.
    But for now, we're focusing our search in Boulder, Gunbarrel and Louisville/Lafayette, maybe Broomfield, but from what I saw there appears to be some pretty nice and pretty bad areas.

While I love the Boulder area, from driving around for a couple hours and seeing so many roadies I get the feeling I'm going to have to go buy a Cervelo or something and a color coordinated jersey outfit just to fit in......

Thread Terrorist
    If you're looking for a tight family community and VERY close to trails, you should consider Golden. I commute through Boulder all the time (our GunBarrel office moved to Longmont 10 years ago), but the wife and kids have access to all the fun stuff in Golden, including tons of riding out your backdoor. From our hood, you can RIDE 2 minutes and be on a trail. There are 5 trail heads within 5-7 minutes of a drive, if you can justify that. Louisville is nice, but its also very crowded and traffic everywhere; not as chillax as it used to be.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    If you're looking for a tight family community and VERY close to trails, you should consider Golden. I commute through Boulder all the time (our GunBarrel office moved to Longmont 10 years ago), but the wife and kids have access to all the fun stuff in Golden, including tons of riding out your backdoor.
    Is there a bus that you can take from golden to boulder?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Is there a bus that you can take from golden to boulder?

RTD GS bus. LOTS of bikes on those buses now. It doesn't run on weekends, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cosgti View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. We were in Denver yesterday and decided to spend the afternoon driving through a few Boulder areas. While probably the most affordable, Longmont was just too far East on Diagonal Hwy for our preferences. I think we'll consider Gunbarrel and that's probably as far East on Diagonal that we'll go.
    My wife loved Louisville and that's probably an area we'll try and pursue. Just to get a gauge, how far a drive am I looking at to get to some good trails from Louisville? I'm not opposed to having to drive to a trail, but Louisville will make me think harder if it's going to be a hour + drive each way.
    We also went up to Lyons and while I love it, it's a bit too out of the way for my wife. She stays home with the kids and wants to be in more of an urban area. Is Lyons the primary area for the Boulder area trailheads?
    We'll probably check out Golden next week. A 35 minute commute is definitely reasonable.
    But for now, we're focusing our search in Boulder, Gunbarrel and Louisville/Lafayette, maybe Broomfield, but from what I saw there appears to be some pretty nice and pretty bad areas.

While I love the Boulder area, from driving around for a couple hours and seeing so many roadies I get the feeling I'm going to have to go buy a Cervelo or something and a color coordinated jersey outfit just to fit in......
    You can easily ride to the Dirty Morgul and Doudy Draw network of trails from Louisville. Pretty much anything else is a drive.

There is not really a "bad" area of Louisville, but you might want to check the schools, as I know some are better than others. A lot of people try really hard to get into the Monarch High School district over Centaurus, for example. Colorado has completely open enrollment between districts/schools, but there has to be space available in the school if you are coming from outside the normal enrollment area. There are also a lot of charter schools that may or may not be better than the local option, but at least there is a choice. Peak to Peak charter in Lafayette is the highest rated high school in Colorado, but you have to win the lottery to get in there.

I don't know what your budget is, but Louisville is quite pricey. Not as bad as Boulder, but much higher than Broomfield, Lafayette, etc.

Another really nice area that would be about a 30 minute drive to Gunbarrel is the West Arvada area between Highway 93 and Indiana, north and south of 64th. Tons of trail options, Golden Bike Park, and good schools. Not quite as expensive as Louisville, and closer to the I-70 corridor and Summit skiing.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Riding from town? Sure! Rode Hall from town today. All Lyons is easily accessible via bike if you don't mind the 40 minute ride there.
    It's pretty funny how far people seem to think Longmont is from the trails in Lyons. Their loss, I guess.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member

My 2C

I got a job offer in the Boulder area and we are starting to look for places to live. We have two kids under 5 so we are looking for a family/kid friendly area, and I'd like to live close to trails (20 min drive??). We live in Co Springs now and am spoiled with Cheyenne canyon and Palmer park being 10 min drives away.

My office will be out on Diagonal hwy (technically, in Gunbarrel?) so we are looking to live somewhere that will give me a reasonable commute. Anyone have recommendations of places to check out?
    I have lived and worked in Longmont since moving to CO 6 years ago...

We decided that Old Town Longmont would be great... nice neighborhoods and as that other guy said, Longmont is currently a buyers' market, but only to a certain extent. Good inventory goes fast...

Longmont has pluses and minuses...

Pluses:
    • Good value for you real estate dollar
    • Some schools are very good, others are marginal.. depends on area
    • Overall, Longmont is awesome for kids... loads of options/programs, etc
    • Awesome weekly critical mass bike ride in mid-spring-->Mid-fall
    • Very Easy access to Boulder (20min to down town)
    • Easy access to trails - with in 30 minutes, there's about 50 miles of trails; with in 45 minutes 100+ miles of trails
    • Fort Collins is
    • Better road riding that Boulder (not what you asked for, but still)
    • Our school is 1.5 blocks away
    • 45 minutes to Devner via interstate
    • Easy access to RMNP and a ridiculous, immeasurable amount of hiking that will blow you away
    • 2 Microbreweries with in 5 minutes of my house - Lefthand and Oskar Blues (both are awesome)

Minuses
    • Poor selection of nice resturants (but Boulder is an endless paridise for food snobs)
    • Boulder is glitzier, yes, but you PAY (with a capital "P") to live there....
    • You have to go to Lyons (or GASP! Boulder...) to get a good Bike Shop (Redstone)
    • You have to go to Boulder for some types of shopping ...
    • Depending on your healthcare needs, Longmont can be limited
    • Crappy Access to resort Skiing (you have 1 option that's less than a drive 2+ hours to get to)

Good luck...

PS - If I was looking again, I'd consider Lyons, but I'd still only have a 15 minute commute to work vs 9 minutes from Old town Longmont.

contains quinine
    While probably the most affordable, Longmont was just too far East on Diagonal Hwy for our preferences. I think we'll consider Gunbarrel and that's probably as far East on Diagonal that we'll go.

Google maps is fun. In miles:

My house in Longmont to Hall Trailhead: 10.7
    My house in Longmont to Picture Rock: 9.9
    My house in Longmont to Rabbit Mountain: 9.2

Middle of Gunbarrel to Betasso: 11.5
    Middle of Gunbarrel to Marshall Mesa: 10.2
    Middle of Gunbarrel to Heil 11.1

And for the record, the only 'gang activity' I've seen is those pesky Bike Longmont people, organizing cruiser rides & giving bikes away to kids.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Google maps is fun. In miles:
    Oh, this is cool.

My house to Chimney Gulch: 1.1 miles
    My house to North Table Mountain: 1.2 miles
    My house to White Ranch: 3.1 miles
    My house to Golden Bike Park: 3.9 miles
    My house to South Table Mountain: 2.2 miles
    My house to Apex (could be accessed through Chimney Gulch): 4.3 miles
    My house to Green Mountain: 5.5 miles
    My house to Mathews/winters, dakota ridge: 5.6 miles
    My house to Centennial Cone: 10.5 miles
    My house to mtn falcon: 11.1 miles
    My house to LOTB: 13.9 miles
    My house to Mt. Galbraith: .000000000001 miles
    Ride your townie to downtown!!!
    Golden to Winter Park: 1 hour
    Golden to Loveland: 45 Minutes
    Golden to Keystone: 1 hour
    Golden to Copper: 1 hour
    Golden to Downtown Denver: 20 minutes
    Golden to Boulder (South): 18 mintues
    Golden to Gunbarrel: 30-35 minutes
    breweries: 1. GCB. Coors isn't technically in Golden nor does it count haa haa
    bike shops: 4
    Hospital access: 15 minutes (Lutheran)
    Best elementry schools in Jefferson county
    feels like a small town with TONS to do.
    You can go ride at a moments notice.
    Play commute vs. work commute. It's all about priorities.

West Arvada has similar advantages, but a lot more suburban feeling. Cheaper houses, and probably somewhat nicer too for the cost. People in Golden mostly live out of their houses, not in 'em.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

MK_
    carpe maņana
    It's a bit of a lousy drive from Louisville into Gunbarrel as you either have to go through all of Boulder (if you take 36/Foothills) which is very congested at rush hour or you have to take the back roads (Hwy 42 to Lookout) which also gets pretty congested.

I'd highly recommend North Boulder. Especially area near Lucky's market. I'm biased as that's where my house is. Walking distance to everything, including open space by Wonderland lake. You can ride from your doorstep by getting on the Foothills trail and then out toward the reservoir; from there you can get all the way to Lions if you so wish via Heil/Picture Rock. Going the other way, you can hook up with Betasso, Four Mile stuff, etc.

Prices are relatively reasonable and it's super family friendly. Tons of restaurant options, etc. Biking distance to Gunbarrel to boot. Just steer clear of the newest subdivisions like Holday neighborhood, etc. as construction quality is not the best (they go up in no time).

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

lucky enough

No need to worry about fitting in. All kinds of bikes welcome in Boulder. Sure there are lots of sponsored riders around but lots of us "normal" folk as well. The good thing about a lot of roadies being around (I ride road too) is that people in cars expect bikes and generally are respectful. As was mentioned, Boulder has an abundance of great restaurants too. I live about 7 blocks from the base of the Rockies and if I want to run or go for a hike, it's great to head out my door and be on dirt trails in a few minutes. Lots of premium hiking trails here. Louisville or Lyons would be my next option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    It's a bit of a lousy drive from Louisville into Gunbarrel as you either have to go through all of Boulder (if you take 36/Foothills) which is very congested at rush hour or you have to take the back roads (Hwy 42 to Lookout) which also gets pretty congested.
    Louisville to Gunbarrel is an alright drive and a decent ride (say 30 easy minutes from Main St to Covidien with good shoulders). Louisville into Boulder can be lousy.

Depending on the budget for your house, Western Schlongmont (which is huge) has the best bang for the buck and could be a reasonable commute. Not clear about the schools though.

You can find a nice place in Gunbarrel for a decent price. Lafayette is certainly more affordable. Have heard that Centaurus is making big strides (not that it was ever "bad" just not as good as say Monarch).

I live in Louisville, have a 5 mile commute to/from work and love it - but it is pricey.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Depending on the budget for your house, Western Schlongmont (which is huge) has the best bang for the buck and could be a reasonable commute. Not clear about the schools though.
    The west side of Longmont has good schools, especially those that feed into Silver Creek High School. My wife is a school phycologist and we looked into this issue before buying a house there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'd highly recommend North Boulder. Especially area near Lucky's market. I'm biased as that's where my house is. Walking distance to everything, including open space by Wonderland lake. You can ride from your doorstep by getting on the Foothills trail and then out toward the reservoir; from there you can get all the way to Lions if you so wish via Heil/Picture Rock. Going the other way, you can hook up with Betasso, Four Mile stuff, etc.

Prices are relatively reasonable and it's super family friendly. Tons of restaurant options, etc. Biking distance to Gunbarrel to boot. Just steer clear of the newest subdivisions like Holday neighborhood, etc. as construction quality is not the best (they go up in no time).

_MK

You're joking, right? North Boulder is a nice area, but "relatively reasonable"? Compared to what, Aspen?

I just looked on realtor.com, and the cheapest single family house in North Boulder is one of those houses in Holiday that are crammed onto a postage stamp. 1200 sq ft, $379K. If you spit in any direction you hit the house next door or the street.

But of course you get the convenient access to the homeless shelter and the Bustop. Yes, the one that is all one word.

mtbr member

Longmont prices in "Old Town"

If older (heavily 30's/40's Craftsman style) is your thing....

Longmont has a nice "Old Town" section that roughly 8 N/S x 12 E/W city blocks straddling Mainstreet.

Roughly, for $300k +/- $50K, you get a nice big yard with Mature trees and 2000 +/- sqft. $425-450K buys you 2800 sq ft.

There are several new-construction developments that are priced a little lower than Old Town scattered around town.

Comparable to what you get in Boulder for $700K+

By the way... Heil Ranch is 14.8 mi form my house or 9.3 miles from my Office in West Longmont (as is the rest of the gem that is Lyons), so I am spoiled.

..ouch
    ..just not as good as say Monarch
    Good at what? Monarch High looks nice on the outside, but the if you're kid wants to fit in he either needs to drive a beemer, or do enough coke to make Charlie Sheen jealous. The classrooms are so overcrowded they cram 8 kids to a folding table in the back and the administration is managed via a policy of trying not to get sued by a 100 lawyer parents who all know their kid is special and does no wrong. We were thoroughly unimpressed. Our kids actually switched to Boulder High to get away from the drugs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    Good at what? ... if you're kid wants to fit in he either needs to drive a beemer, or do enough coke to make Charlie Sheen jealous....
    I think you've identified your problem

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave View Post
    If older (heavily 30's/40's Craftsman style) is your thing....

Longmont has a nice "Old Town" section that roughly 8 N/S x 12 E/W city blocks straddling Mainstreet.

Roughly, for $300k +/- $50K, you get a nice big yard with Mature trees and 2000 +/- sqft. $425-450K buys you 2800 sq ft.

There are several new-construction developments that are priced a little lower than Old Town scattered around town.

Comparable to what you get in Boulder for $700K+

By the way... Heil Ranch is 14.8 mi form my house or 9.3 miles from my Office in West Longmont (as is the rest of the gem that is Lyons), so I am spoiled.
    When my special lady friend and I bought about in Longmont about three years ago, we looked in Old Town. A few issues we had were that the houses were either small bungalows about 1200 sq ft in the $300,000+ range, or old mansions about 5,000 sq ft, in the $450,000 plus range. We were looking for a house in the 2,000 sq ft range and $300,000 range so we really couldn't find anything in Old Town. The houses in Old Town are also, obviously, old and thus have all of those issues. Moreover, if you live east of Main Street in Old Town, the schools are significantly not as good as those west of Main where, not suprisingly, the houses are more expensive. We decided on west Longmont where the value and schools are much better.

..ouch
    I think you've identified your problem
    I bet you were so cool in high school that you didn't need any friends.

Heck, sounds like you still are.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    You're joking, right? North Boulder is a nice area, but "relatively reasonable"? Compared to what, Aspen?

I just looked on realtor.com, and the cheapest single family house in North Boulder is one of those houses in Holiday that are crammed onto a postage stamp. 1200 sq ft, $379K. If you spit in any direction you hit the house next door or the street.

But of course you get the convenient access to the homeless shelter and the Bustop. Yes, the one that is all one word.
    That's funny. But on a serious side, if you actually look at the real estate in Boulder, the "cheapest" would be Martin Acres or east Boulder. Not much there to get excited about other than proximity to things in Boulder. Most anything west of 28th, south of Iris and north of Baseline would be considered desirable (you'd have to cut out all areas occupied by students, especially if you have a family) but would also be pricier than places North of Iris. Once you hit Violet you're gonna hit what you describe above.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That's funny. But on a serious side, if you actually look at the real estate in Boulder, the "cheapest" would be Martin Acres or east Boulder. Not much there to get excited about other than proximity to things in Boulder. Most anything west of 28th, south of Iris and north of Baseline would be considered desirable (you'd have to cut out all areas occupied by students, especially if you have a family) but would also be pricier than places North of Iris. Once you hit Violet you're gonna hit what you describe above.

_MK

Boulder is an acquired taste, especially if you have kids. I know dozens of people with kids, zero who actually live in Boulder anymore. They all took off for Louisville/Lafayette/Superior/Broomfield/Longmont after their kids were born.

Now that my kids are out of the house, there are a few places in Boulder that I could tolerate, but by the time you consider the initial cost plus taxes plus traffic plus the added insanity of the Boulder house nazis threatening to declare Martian Acres as a Historic District, for example, I think I will skip the brain damage and look in Golden or Louisville if I decide to move.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    To each his own, clearly. The simple fact is that the trade off is either living where things are happening or driving to them. At the same time it's trading convenience, a smaller home with smaller yard and likely little to no garage for larger chunk of real estate and more bedrooms and more driving.

One thing I find amusing is how much people love to hate on Boulder. I don't see anyone hating on anything else in Colorado even remotely as much.

_MK

lucky enough
    Boulder is an acquired taste, especially if you have kids. I know dozens of people with kids, zero who actually live in Boulder anymore. They all took off for Louisville/Lafayette/Superior/Broomfield/Longmont after their kids were born.
    There are plenty of kids in my hood. They seem to be doing well as far as I can tell. Growing up in Boulder they certainly are cool with people who are "different". And I think the schools get good grades here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good at what? Monarch High looks nice on the outside, but the if you're kid wants to fit in he either needs to drive a beemer, or do enough coke to make Charlie Sheen jealous. The classrooms are so overcrowded they cram 8 kids to a folding table in the back and the administration is managed via a policy of trying not to get sued by a 100 lawyer parents who all know their kid is special and does no wrong. We were thoroughly unimpressed. Our kids actually switched to Boulder High to get away from the drugs.
    You are going to find drugs in every high school, and in any of the more desirable high schools you are going to find beemers in the parking lots. The only reason you don't notice it at Boulder High is because their parking lot is so miniscule. I know several people who were ecstatic with the education their kids received at Monarch, and that includes a couple who are still there.

Fairview is almost always looking for students now that virtually no one in Boulder has kids, and it is ranked higher academically than Monarch or Boulder due to the IB/AP programs. Open enrollment is awesome.

Having gone through all of this recently, I tell people to choose the school that is the best for *your* child. If they are really academically gifted, Peak to Peak or Fairview might be the best, but if they are more average, maybe Boulder or Monarch would be more comfortable. Not that there are not brilliant kids at Boulder or Monarch, but there are more of them at Fairview and Peak to Peak, and the academic competition is pretty fierce in those schools. The year my daughter graduated from Fairview there were seven kids in the graduating class of about 470 who got a score of 36 on the ACT, while on average there is one 36 out of every 2500 or so students.

The bottom line is that most any of the standard High Schools in BVSD, St. Vrain, Jefferson are all "good" schools compared to many other places you could live.

mtbr member
    I work on the NE side of boulder - 47th and Pearl, and commute from Golden. Like you I moved for the job. We checked out Boulder, Louisville, Lafayette and Golden. I liked the neighborhoods of Louisville and Lafayette but felt they were too far from the mountains. Boulder was just too spendy. Golden is also spendy, but less so than Boulder.

I also have two small children (ages 2 and 6). Golden fits our lifestyle well - we spend a lot of time in the mountains and are 30-40 minutes closer than the East Boulder Burbs. My commute is 30 minutes on most days and there are 4-5 trails that I ride regularly, early mornings on the way to work. I can hit some of the boulder/lyons area trails after work occasionally.

My family and I really like Golden. Look at the map and you can see its close to just about everything. The only negatives are home prices and very few restaurants. Its getting better - but seriously lacking.

Feel free to PM me for more info. If you need a realtor rec for either area, let me know.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

..ouch
    If they are really academically gifted, Peak to Peak or Fairview might be the best,
    That part I can agree with. Our daughter loved Peak to Peak.

Monarch still remains the worst experience of any of the schools our kids attended... and the worst for us in trying to work with the teachers. They were simply overwhelmed by the horrible student/teacher ratio. This was 7+ years ago though, maybe it's improved.

mtbr member
    Did you really look all this up? Funny that CCone is almost the same distance as LOTB but half the time.

Oh, this is cool.

My house to Chimney Gulch: 1.1 miles
    My house to North Table Mountain: 1.2 miles
    My house to White Ranch: 3.1 miles
    My house to Golden Bike Park: 3.9 miles
    My house to South Table Mountain: 2.2 miles
    My house to Apex (could be accessed through Chimney Gulch): 4.3 miles
    My house to Green Mountain: 5.5 miles
    My house to Mathews/winters, dakota ridge: 5.6 miles
    My house to Centennial Cone: 10.5 miles
    My house to mtn falcon: 11.1 miles
    My house to LOTB: 13.9 miles
    My house to Mt. Galbraith: .000000000001 miles
    Ride your townie to downtown!!!
    Golden to Winter Park: 1 hour
    Golden to Keystone: 1 hour
    Golden to Copper: 1 hour
    Golden to Downtown Denver: 20 minutes
    Golden to Boulder (South): 18 mintues
    Golden to Gunbarrel: 30-35 minutes
    breweries: 1. GCB. Coors isn't technically in Golden nor does it count haa haa
    bike shops: 4
    Hospital access: 15 minutes (Lutheran)
    Best elementry schools in Jefferson county
    feels like a small town with TONS to do.
    You can go ride at a moments notice.
    Play commute vs. work commute. It's all about priorities.

West Arvada has similar advantages, but a lot more suburban feeling. Cheaper houses, and probably somewhat nicer too for the cost. People in Golden mostly live out of their houses, not in 'em.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That part I can agree with. Our daughter loved Peak to Peak.

Monarch still remains the worst experience of any of the schools our kids attended... and the worst for us in trying to work with the teachers. They were simply overwhelmed by the horrible student/teacher ratio. This was 7+ years ago though, maybe it's improved.

Like everything, it is an individual choice. Some kids thrive in an environment like you will find at Monarch or Ralston Valley in Arvada (which are very comparable schools in almost every way), while others do better at Peak to Peak or Fairview or Boulder or wherever. Fairview and Boulder are fairly unique in that they are top rated high schools that most years have room for open enrollment, whereas Monarch, Niwot, Ralston Valley, Cherry Creek, and many others require you to live in the district to attend because they are already full of local students, and the charters like Peak to Peak have lotteries.

Speaking of mountain bikes, Monarch, Boulder and Fairview all have mountain bike teams...

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Louisville:
    I moved to Louisville in July, and it's pretty nice if you like the small town feel. Downtown has cool restaurants and bars, but you still have target and Albertsons on the other side of town. My commute is 20 minutes during rush hour to 30th/Walnut in Boulder.

Riding:
    From Louisville you will be able to ride Marshall Mesa area. It's not the most technical ride, but you can put together loops around 40 miles long that are 90% dirt from your front door. Night riding is also allowed at Marshall Mesa, which is nice for the fall and winter. For more technical riding, Golden Gate Canyon State Park is only 20 min away, and offers great riding. Other Golden trails are within a 45 minute drive.

Louisville is also closer than the towns North of Boulder when you need to take I70 to the big mountains or the bike/ski parks. Traffic on 36 is light on weekend mornings, so if you're driving to Boulder and up Canyon to get to West Mag, SSV, or the other mountain trails, Louisville only adds 10 minutes to your trip.

Boulder:
    It stays light pretty late here, so it's easy to ride in Lyons after work. Heil-and-hall is a nice 30 mile ride you can do just North of Boulder. You can also ride to Betasso Preserve, which is a great ~25 mile round trip. The only sucky part is a mile or two between where the bikepath ends and the trail starts. It's a busy road and scary as hell, so make sure you bring lights for the ride back down. You can also ride to Valmont bike park, which is pretty awesome. I ride it for an hour during lunch and either session the slope style or circuit the XC track. The XC track is about 2.3 miles per lap, and there are 4 slope style runs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I bet you were so cool in high school that you didn't need any friends.

Heck, sounds like you still are.
    You're probably a decent guy so I'll let that slide.

Having said that, this isn't about me and I'd wager you owe your kids more credit than your statements allude to.

D'oh!
    Haven't heard much about Superior on this thread so I thought I'd represent...
    Superior is basically a bedroom community to Louisville and Boulder. It's a nice place with great schools - Superior elementary is awesome - and the older kids would go to Monarch unless they opt in to Fairview. Quite a few kids from Superior go to Fairview. I agree with above posts, Monarch is OK but admins and teachers seem to be mostly in CYA mode.
    For riding, right out my door I can ride the Dirty Bismark and Doudy Draw / Springbrook area, which is just good for some quick, easy miles with no tech. From Superior you hop in the car and just as quickly head north to Lyons as you can get south to Golden for better trails.
    Superior doesn't have all the amenities of Boulder or Louisville but the homes are a lot cheaper (~$400K for 2500 sq. ft. w/3 car garage). If I could afford it I might live in Louisville but I like it here too. BTW, I have lived in Boulder and Louisville. After the novelty of Boulder wears off it just kinda sucks.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by COjacket View Post
    After the novelty of Boulder wears off it just kinda sucks.
    It hasn't worn off for me!
    I did mention Superior earlier. It has that small town feel that can be attractive.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I wouldn't call Boulder a novelty; rather acquired taste. It all depends on where you come from. Me and my wife are city slickers. She moved from Montreal I moved from a big city in Europe. It took a lot longer for my wife to get used the the small town of Boulder than it took me. We even lived in Denver for a year as she wanted to be back in the city. Strangely, Boulder lives more like a city than Denver even though neither really delivers in the culture or restaurant department (granted, it's the best we have locally).

In any event the choice of where you want to live boils down to being nowhere and close to everything or being somewhere and not having to get up and go to get there. The price reflects the choice.

_MK

lucky enough
    Yes it does depend on where you come from. I moved here from Alaska but before that I was in a liberal, university town on the west coast so Boulder seemed very familiar to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Did you really look all this up? Funny that CCone is almost the same distance as LOTB but half the time.
    LOTB?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Lair of the Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderWhitewater View Post
    LOTB?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    To each his own, clearly. The simple fact is that the trade off is either living where things are happening or driving to them. At the same time it's trading convenience, a smaller home with smaller yard and likely little to no garage for larger chunk of real estate and more bedrooms and more driving.

One thing I find amusing is how much people love to hate on Boulder. I don't see anyone hating on anything else in Colorado even remotely as much.

_MK
    I thought you lived down in Highlands (Denver).
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I thought you lived down in Highlands (Denver).
    Yup, for a year.

_MK

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I live in Westminster. It takes me longer to get to downtown Boulder than it does downtown Denver. If I were wanting to always head up 6 or 70 to ride add 1 1/2 hours r/t just to start where those who live in Golden do.

Driving to Springbrook et al takes me 27 minutes. Lyons/Hall---that's an hour to get there. Just some driving info. The guy above who lives in Superior and can ride those trails from out his door has it pretty good. MK can catch the Wonderland Trail out his door.

Guess it all depends on which set of trails you want right outside your door. Can't have them all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, for a year.

_MK
    I just read your reply below. So us meeting at Superior Liquors a few months ago---not so strange now!

Yes, Denver (living in Highlands) will never be confused with Montreal or a big city in Europe. I work downtown Denver a lot and continually wonder what it would be like to be working in, say, downtown London or Paris or Prague. Not that I've discovered everything down there but the "core cool Denver" just isn't that large and doesn't extend much into the 'burbs.

I used to live near Highlands and can imagine the "shock" the wifey went through when she thought that maybe she was going to duplicate the big city living that is Montreal.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I just read your reply below. So us meeting at Superior Liquors a few months ago---not so strange now!
    Yeah. The funny thing is, in total contrast to what people have said above is that our move back to Boulder coincided with us having a kid. We find Boulder to be an awesome place for families with kids (granted, we cant' afford as many toys for our tot as we would if we lived some place cheaper).

_MK

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325
    Golden Gate Canyon State Park is only 20 min away, and offers great riding.
    from Louisville?

OP - check your PM if you haven't yet.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    i live in north boulder and work in gunbarrel. i ride my bike to work a few days a week year round, it's a nice commute (25 min) mostly on paved and gravel pathways. From here it's a short drive to Heil valley ranch trail head. my neighborhood is pretty mellow.
    Niner WFO | Transition Double | Pivot Firebird

mtbr member

Don't worry about getting a Cervelo, just make sure you've got a Subaru. Preferably an old, beat up one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S Boulder

Yeah. The funny thing is, in total contrast to what people have said above is that our move back to Boulder coincided with us having a kid. We find Boulder to be an awesome place for families with kids (granted, we cant' afford as many toys for our tot as we would if we lived some place cheaper).

_MK
    Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I live in S boulder and ride the marshall mesa and the other trails door to door. I like it. I also road ride a lot. (Gasp) Big thing though is the schools. S Boulder schools are tops in the state and nationally. Elementary, middle and high school. I forget if you have kids, but if you do, the schools are a consideration. If they are young, you may be moving again when they are older, just to get them into the good schools. Lots of families do.

friend of Apex
    Gas pedal is on the right, Holmes

Hospital access: 15 minutes (Lutheran).
    St A's moved just up the street.
    New St. Anthony Hospital | Lakewood, Colorado
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

banned
    Longmont has Georgia Boys BBQ

banned
    Longmont is too far from the mountains, and has too many gangs.
    lulz, "gangs" in longmont

moar lulz plz

the lycroids of boulder are a more dangerous "gang" than any group of disorganized juvenile wannabes in longmont

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Gas pedal is on the right, Holmes
    bwaa haa haa haa...those that know me know I go fast. I was just trying to be realistic with a pee stop, bighorn sheep photo shoot, and a stop-in to see Bono (which is really just a big turd if you watch south park).
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post

moar lulz plz

the lycroids of boulder are a more dangerous "gang" than any group of disorganized juvenile wannabes in longmont
    Exactly what is lulz, and how much do you need? you ask for it all the time, but no one really knows what you're talking about. Is it an energy drink? Does it affect spelling? What is it?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Boulder has a higher crime rate and more murders than Longmont. Perhaps you meant more Hispanics and non upper class white people?

banned
    Exactly what is lulz, and how much do you need? you ask for it all the time, but no one really knows what you're talking about. Is it an energy drink? Does it affect spelling? What is it?
    lulz^ right there

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I enjoy living in Boulder (I live in SE Boulder, Park East neighborhood, and if you are working in Gunbarrel and can afford it, I'd live in Boulder. Awesome network of bike paths allow you to bike everywhere by creeks and not on roads; pedaling to the farmer's market on the cruiser on a warm summer Saturday is pretty cool. Marshall Mesa bikable from the door, and many others are a short drive away (Walker, Betasso, Heil, Hall). Sure, Golden has way more biking out the door and if I worked that way, I'd live that way, but I wouldn't want to add a commute for every working day just to have that.

Since you said Lyons didn't do it for you, most of the other options mentioned will just add minutes to biking and hiking trailheads (and the best biking near Boulder hasn't even been mentioned ). As for the guy who said no kids are in Boulder, he must live in Bizarro Boulder. My little street has at least 50% houses with kids. Judging by the hate on Boulder that is so common, Boulder must be an acquired taste. But I don't feel like I have weird tastes and I like Boulder, would prefer a smaller town, and would prefer more diversity, but overall the QoL is generally off the charts here. Sure I could have a bigger nicer house somewhere else, but I'll take that tradeoff every day and twice on sunday.

mtbr member
    Best riding near boulder is in Nederland.
    Purchase accordingly.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE View Post
    Best riding near boulder is in Nederland.
    Purchase accordingly.
    Good luck.
    OP, ignore this guy's comment. Just don't even consider it. Really.

mtbr member

moar lulz plz

I don't know. I've seen the throngs of Juggalos that call the suburbs home. Bad music, diabetes, and meth make for nasty companions.

lulz^ right there
    lulz like a:

mtbr member
    OP, ignore this guy's comment. Just don't even consider it. Really.
    Never said to move there, but this is a boulder destination for riding.

Oh Wait.... Never mind. There is no riding in Ned. Be sure to tell your friends.

..ouch
    ..and the problem living in Ned is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    I enjoy living in Boulder (I live in SE Boulder, Park East neighborhood, and if you are working in Gunbarrel and can afford it, I'd live in Boulder. Awesome network of bike paths allow you to bike everywhere by creeks and not on roads; pedaling to the farmer's market on the cruiser on a warm summer Saturday is pretty cool. Marshall Mesa bikable from the door, and many others are a short drive away (Walker, Betasso, Heil, Hall). Sure, Golden has way more biking out the door and if I worked that way, I'd live that way, but I wouldn't want to add a commute for every working day just to have that.

Since you said Lyons didn't do it for you, most of the other options mentioned will just add minutes to biking and hiking trailheads (and the best biking near Boulder hasn't even been mentioned ). As for the guy who said no kids are in Boulder, he must live in Bizarro Boulder. My little street has at least 50% houses with kids. Judging by the hate on Boulder that is so common, Boulder must be an acquired taste. But I don't feel like I have weird tastes and I like Boulder, would prefer a smaller town, and would prefer more diversity, but overall the QoL is generally off the charts here. Sure I could have a bigger nicer house somewhere else, but I'll take that tradeoff every day and twice on sunday.
    Ditto. Lots of kids in Boulder. Smart ones too.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Obviously there is some interest in this topic, someone should make this thread a sticky.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Don't worry about getting a Cervelo, just make sure you've got a Subaru. Preferably an old, beat up one.
    My Sub is only six years old and it only has one dent.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    My knowledge is dated, but I liked the five years I spent in Longmont. Moved away a few years back though.

My work was a quick bike commute away, had decent trail selections within easy drive time, and a couple within pedal distance. As other said, yeah, culturally, it ain't all that, but you aren't far from Denver metro, Boulder, and FoCo for foodie and culture hits. Housing is cheap, commutes aren't bad.

The choice: live where you have a longer commute in to work, or longer time to trails/etc.? The *perfect* situation is hard to find - most people have to compromise something(s) somewhere.

Where I am now is even better in terms of kick ass food, cultural stuff, quick access to a crap load of trail, short commute (for wife and myself) and quality of trails. Within an hour radius of my house, we have a huge selection fo places to ride and run. Granted, the humidity sucks balls...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    My knowledge is dated, but I liked the five years I spent in Longmont. Moved away a few years back though.

My work was a quick bike commute away, had decent trail selections within easy drive time, and a couple within pedal distance. As other said, yeah, culturally, it ain't all that, but you aren't far from Denver metro, Boulder, and FoCo for foodie and culture hits. Housing is cheap, commutes aren't bad.

The choice: live where you have a longer commute in to work, or longer time to trails/etc.? The *perfect* situation is hard to find - most people have to compromise something(s) somewhere.

Where I am now is even better in terms of kick ass food, cultural stuff, quick access to a crap load of trail, short commute (for wife and myself) and quality of trails. Within an hour radius of my house, we have a huge selection fo places to ride and run. Granted, the humidity sucks balls...
    Schlongmont does have some quality grub (sugarbeet, georgia boyzzzzzzzzz, terroir, luciles to name a few)

ride
    And Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids and Solids, one of the best taphouses in Boulder County
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Longmont sucks. If you had just said you wanted to live at the mall then we all would have said Superior. Also, Golden is the 2nd best.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    <snip> Granted, the humidity sucks balls...
    Aye... and therein lies the rub.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Obviously there is some interest in this topic, someone should make this thread a sticky.
    Fort Collins, there someone had to say it.

Thread stickied
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Schlongmont does have some quality grub (sugarbeet, georgia boyzzzzzzzzz, terroir, luciles to name a few)
    I like Tim's Thai, Tortuga, and a local coffee/bakery joint that I forget the name of. Lucile's never was bad, and had far less wait time than the one in Boulder. Sugarbeet was good the one time we tried before moving. Hell, in a half hour radius of our place, we had a huge selection of good eats.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Longmont sucks. If you had just said you wanted to live at the mall then we all would have said Superior. Also, Golden is the 2nd best.
    yup, bongmont iz teh sucksorsz

golden is golden, please go to golden 'cuz bungleintehjungle sez

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    And Oskar Blues Homemade Liquids and Solids, one of the best taphouses in Boulder County
    They need to get some Grimm Bros on tap...wink wink, nudge nudge.

friend of Apex
    golden is golden
    quoted for the truthz
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 03-14-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    qft
    Well... it *was* golden.

More chrome and rust since you moved in.

Rolling
    This has become the tyranny of choice thread.

Get two ten sided dice, assign 100 places to live to 00 to 99, and roll the suckers.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    My wife loved Louisville and that's probably an area we'll try and pursue. Just to get a gauge, how far a drive am I looking at to get to some good trails from Louisville? I'm not opposed to having to drive to a trail, but Louisville will make me think harder if it's going to be a hour + drive each way
    I'll chime in here and I didn't see this thread before now but I live in Louisville and absolutely love it. As a community it is truly awesome. It really is hard to beat. The traffic here is light and it is easy to get around. The commute to Gunbarrel may be 25-30 minutes. Perhaps quicker on good days. The schools are great! My 6 and 9 year old love them and it is such a child friendly area.

As a biker, while not big mountains you can bike from downtown to the Marshall Mesa and Flatirons Irons vista area easily. I often ride from my house and do a 25 to 35 mile loop in the evenings and only hit the road for a fraction of a mile. As a dad that deals with too many family matters when most other people are biking, I can't stress strongly enough, how great it is to have legal night biking on your doorstep.

To get to the mountains, Golden is only 20-25 minutes away by car. You can get to Hail in about 35 minutes and to Lyons/Hall Ranch in 45 minutes. Walker Ranch and West Magnolia is also 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on time of day.

If you have a cross bike then there are a bunch of other interesting rides that can be done as well.

If you decide to move to Louisville, PM me. I'd be happy to show you some trails.

Kerry.

Rolling
    I can't believe this is a sticky thread. How many "where to live" threads are necessary that are all over the map? Google has a good position in this arena.

Lets demote this please.

ride
    I dunno Rich. My wife and I considered moving to Boulder but once I reread this thread, I believe we will stay in Lyons.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    I dunno Rich. My wife and I considered moving to Boulder but once I reread this thread, I believe we will stay in Lyons.
    this is an interesting thread. like the orig' poster i'm in manitou springs and have an offer in boulder.

right now i can leave my house and run into redrock open space, intemann space, etc.. or run 3miles and be on the incline or barr trail. i'd love to be in similar proximity to similar awesome'ly elevationally challenging trails.

i'm dying over here... my wife thinks nederland is too remote to live. i don't want to live east of perl street (in boulder) because it seems i'm leaving the mtn ranges! ((i've only visited the area twice quickly)).

i heard lyons is still affected by the floods. can anyone confirm its condition?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm surprised this thread is still going. We made the move a year and a half ago and ended up in Louisville. As far as a place to live with a family, it's a great place. My kids are just starting kindergarten so I don't have a lot of experience with the schools yet. We also love Boulder and spend a lot of time there with the kids. Compared to Colorado Springs, we have found there is a lot more kid-friendly and family oriented activities going on in Louisville and throughout Boulder.
    As far as the mountain biking, in my opinion it is lacking. But it's all relative to where you came from. We lived in west Colorado Springs for years and had very good trails within 10 minutes from my door. There was a lot of technical trails and that's what I miss most. From Louisville, Marshall mesa is a decent area to get do without having to drive. But it is just a good area to spin. There's nothing technical about it. To get to some of the fun Boulder trails (Hall, Heil valley, Walker), it's a 35-60 minute drive just to get to the trail head from Louisville. With kids now, it's hard to justify that kind of commute to the trail head very often so unfortunately I'm spending more time on my road bike.
    If riding is a top priority for you, I agree with others that you should look at Golden, Lyons or Nederland. Coming from Colorado Springs I know what kind of trails you had access to in Manitou (at least, before the fires and flooding) and I think Golden, Lyons or Ned will give you access to that type of riding, hiking, running, etc. Living in Boulder gets you closer (much closer if you can afford one of the homes in the hills) but you still have a commute to the trail heads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, it's no secret that Boulder isn't the best location for mountain biking (there are worse of course). Hopefully the citizens of the PRB will someday vote out the ELF/Sierra Club folks who make up most of the city council and are extremely anti-mountain biking (heck, they are anti-everything except spending gobs of taxpayer $$ to buy open space that you can only view from a distance).

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by malofquist View Post
    right now i can leave my house and run into redrock open space, intemann space, etc.. or run 3miles and be on the incline or barr trail. i'd love to be in similar proximity to similar awesome'ly elevationally challenging trails.
    i don't want to live east of perl street (in boulder) because it seems i'm leaving the mtn ranges! ((i've only visited the area twice quickly)).
    I think you mean east of Broadway as Pearl runs East-West. If you live west of Broadway in Boulder you are a few minutes from lots of trails you can run on - it seems like running access is important for you. It is for me too. There is a big trail running community in Boulder so there are lots of options.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by malofquist View Post

i heard lyons is still affected by the floods. can anyone confirm its condition?
    Lyons has been greatly changed by the floods. As to the condition, almost everyone has water, sewer and power restored. The parks are still completely wrecked, as are many of the roads. Long term, we'll rebuild bigger and badder than ever. It's just going to take some time. I guess I'd come back to say if you're moving here for the short term, it may not be as awesome as you want. For the long term, though, there is no doubt that things will rock.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I live in south boulder, and I still have dreams that we got a trail in the west TSA(think Mesa trail area) and I can ride trail to downtown Boulder. They are nice dreams.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

Living the High Life
    Uh..JeffCo isn't that great for mtn biking. No lack of trails.

It's just that JeffCo hates mtn bikers. It's a can of worms, but they really don't like us.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

i like rocks
    On living in Louisville... I'd definitely say go for it if you can find the right house at a price you can afford. This can be tricky though as prices have skyrocketed and the market is kind of insane. We've had two neighbors sell in the last couple of years, and in both cases these homes were basically gang shown to one potential buyer after another and then sold for over the asking price, in both cases for more than $700,000. granted, these homes were maybe a bit above average for the area (north neighborhood behind alfalfa's), but we aren't talking mansions here, nor large parcels.

For a realtor covering the Boulder County area, and Louisville in particular, I highly recommend Paul Wasachlo. He's incredibly knowledgeable, and just a great guy to deal with who's done a lot for us and pretty much everybody we know over the years.

We LOVE having old town in walking distance and its great having all of the good restaurants and bars nearby, not to mention even more great places 10 minutes up the road in Lafayette. The small town feel with its own identity is nice, but i'll admit that this is fluctuating a bit as the place is growing and local traffic has become progressively worse over the last several years.

The local ridding options are decent, with singletrack through various open space areas and bike paths you can certainly get some pedaling in any time you want right from home, though its going to pretty non-technical. Marshall Mesa is only 10 minutes up the road and is good for quick loop that you can sandwich in between all of lifes little commitments. Its nothing special, but at least you can score a good climb, a good descent and a couple of rock gardens in a half hour ride.

otherwise, you driving to trails, but really, unless your going to ride the same crap over and over again, this is kind of the case anywhere. I find the commute to most good front range trails pretty acceptable, but... I used to live in Downtown Chicago and the commute out to Palos or SWK was a total bitch, so by comparison i find commuting anywhere around here a piece of cake!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Necro-bump!! Pretty sure the OP was hosed on his request. Everything is ridiculously expensive, unless, of course, you live here:

https://goo.gl/maps/VXp2vs1XnuD2

mtbr member
    Here's another option.

Image Viewer

KSC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Impressive response. As someone who's been mountain biking on and off and living Boulder for years now, I'll pipe in. First, it depends what kind of riding you like to do, but I almost never ride the trails close to town due to the quality. Although there are some awesome people out there trying to make it better, it's an uphill battle as Boulder has a long history of being very un-mountain bike friendly (at least when it comes to actually riding them on a trail).

I'm in East Boulder and all the rides I do are ~30 minutes away, White Ranch being closest (20-25 min in no traffic): Jeffco stuff is my favorite, though it's way more crowded than it used to be. Hall Ranch is ~30, Walker Ranch ~30, Betasso ~20 for a quick fix on the right day at the right time. Then the circle expands from there. There are probably still secret rogue trails out there but I'm not motivated enough to find them. You'd be roughly the same drive time from Louisville, perhaps +5 min depending on where you are.

The good thing is, even though you're close to nothing, you can reasonably consider going north or south.

I think Boulder is good overall, though there things I would improve (many mentioned above). Since having a kid - I've only had 3 yrs of it - but I like Boulder better as I think it's actually a great place for a kid to grow up. Schools are good, population is educated and dynamic, lots of outdoor opportunities, etc.

As a side note, I did the kid school commute from East Boulder to North Boulder for a couple of years and it was a pain in the ass during rush hour.

Members who have read this thread: 0