Heads up Flyboy!!

Off Topic...I'm ready for the Blues

I'm taking it that powder is much easier to learn on then hard pack. My 1st day out a few weeks ago I rode a snow board for the 1st time ever out at A Basin on the hard packed Greens there. The temps were in the 50's and by the end of the day I had learned how to toeside and could stop and do the falling leaf as long as it was toeside. My heelside just sucked.

At that time I was running 18, -8 on the bindings and had the high backs set for half rise. I came back to the internet looking to learn and learn I did. After reading a few suggestions I ended up setting my bindings for 15,-15 and raised my high backs as hi as they would go.

Then I went to Snow Wolf' Instructional Vids and watched them about 3 times and everything clicked. Two major things I was doing wrong included trying to use my rear foot like a rudder and trying to start a turn by using both feet rather then using my leading foot to initiate the turn, then follow with the rear foot once the turn was established.

So using my new gained knowledge and binding tweaks I headed to Loveland Basin Yesterday. Yesterday's hi's were in the high 20's and we had a small snow storm move into the area. The road conditions were less then favorable and the normal hour drive to the Basin turned into 2 hours as I-70 turned into a parking lot with snow and ice covering the road and the wind blasting snow into whiteouts.

Arriving at Loveland I sunk my car into it's spot...Luckily I had tire chains as I saw several cars having to be pulled out of their spots later that day. Hoping to score a half day ticket I learned Loveland doesn't offer one at this time and it would be $44 to ride the mountain and I only had about 3 hours...so I just ended up getting a $20 dollar chair 7 ticket. Chair 7 offers access to two greens separated by a row of trees with a few breaks so you could slalom from one trail to the other. Both trails are maybe 500-600 yds long with a 4 minute lift ride to the top.

I probably ran about 20-25 runs and started by just practicing my heel sides and found that I could do them almost immediately. Then I started trying some heel side j turns and by my 3rd run down I was linking my heelside to toeside turns.

By my 5th run down I was slaloming the trees separating the two trails and slaloming around people who had taken spills on the slope.

By the end of the day I was able to hit a few small jumps some kids had built on the hill, ride through some moguls, and was able to ride switch...Maybe the old surfing and skateboarding skills that I haven't used in 10 years coming back into use.

Thanks for all the tips those of you who gave em...Next weekend I'm trying my 1st blue.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    $44 to ride the mountain
    Second day is always better.

Loveland has some cool stuff and they get great snow 4 shizzy, just short runs and slow lifts.

You should buy one of these if Loveland will be your semi-regular hangout.

I had that and Copper/WP/daBoat pass last season, worked out great. Somedays I'm so anxious to ride or the tunnel is closed, I'd just stop at Loveland. (They often they have more snow, too!)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Inflexable...
    Dude by next weekend you'll be ready for the blacks!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Second day is always better.

Loveland has some cool stuff and they get great snow 4 shizzy, just short runs and slow lifts.

You should buy one of these if Loveland will be your semi-regular hangout.
    Actually got one. I took the free pass to A Basin in November that it offers for the 1st day out. It'll be Echo or Loveland for sure. I'll probably end up getting a season pass to Loveland next year but wanted Echo for the night Riding and its close.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Dude by next weekend you'll be ready for the blacks!
    Maybe not quite yet...But , I do hope to take a Avalanche Class soon and get a few guys together for some backcountry once I feel comfy on the steeps.

mtbr member
    Man, that's getting me pumped. I'm a TX transplant and I've only been boarding on New Mexico hard pack a few times, but even then I loved it. Can't wait to get out there. $20 is a deal, especially for newbies like myself who can't really take full advantage of an $80 ticket at a 'nicer' spot. Is that available all season?

Heads up Flyboy!!
    As far as I know its available all season. I got a Echo Mtn Pass at $149 just so I could go ride a couple of week nights a week ...only 45 minutes away...think the night pass will be $29 if you don't have a season Pass.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Did you mean the blues....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqs3-aRAdac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wqs3-aRAdac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Members who have read this thread: 0