mtbr member

North Table Morning Ride

First one of the year, left about 6am and got in an hour going up the service road, turning south on NT Loop trail to Cottonwood Canyon to Mesa Top (large herd of deer lounging) to Tilting Mesa down the service road to the Golden trails back to the service road to home.

The first section until the top of Cottonwood Canyon was bone dry, the rest was frozen. I was really surprised that there wasn't any snow or mud on the north facing slopes of the NT Loop in Cottonwood Canyon as it was all clear.

I wanted to try out my spanking new MagicShine headlamp but by the time I got up the service road it was getting pretty light out and didn't really need it. Next week should change that with fast forward hour.

If anyone has ridden the North end of NT Loop I would love to hear about it as I am thinking of leaving a little earlier tomorrow and completing the loop.

And for the bozo riders, hikers, equestrians who have completely chewed up the top portion of Cottonwood Canyon and Mesa Top on it's muddier days, my wife would like a few words with you

And as I told my wife when she asked how the climb went, I explained it was the first time this year, of course I wanted to throw up by the top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS! Glad you made it up there.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    just did the quarry road up over to the tower road connector this evening, generally mudfree till the single track on the north side base connecting back to the parking lot. 3-4 100 ft sections of pooey mud and lots of evidence of longcutting around the sections, should make for some nice repair work for JCOS later this spring. glad to hear cottonwood is dry, im surprised no mud on the NW facing areas after the cliff section too, there is usually one VERY muddy section about 500 ft before the fork that climbs you back out of the canyon. also, did anyone else see the little kicker someone is building in the culvert west of the parking lot? saw some dudes out there with shovels out there in Feb, I'm sure JCOS will llove that.

mtbr member
    Damn that North side is chewed up as TinC describes above. None the less, another beautiful morning up there, who was that I passed as i was climbing out of the canyon?
    Pic for XC Dude: )

At the top of the climb:

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGolden View Post
    Damn that North side is chewed up as TinC describes above. None the less, another beautiful morning up there, who was that I passed as i was climbing out of the canyon?
    Pic for XC Dude: )

At the top of the climb:

Orale, vato. That's what I'm talking about!

mtbr member
    Yo BobGolden - that would be I that passed ya this fine morning.

This was my virgin ride on NTM and on a virgin build (that's two cherries popped before 6:00am )

Rolling early on a new trail systems has it's ups and owns - UP - I found the Rim Rock Trail.
    North Table Morning Ride-p1010351c.jpg

UP - view of Denver in the early dawn
    North Table Morning Ride-p1010360c.jpg

Down - the End of the Rim Rock Trail
    Attachment 679242

As for the Trail conditions - The frozen dirt was splendid but it appears a few too many folks on foot, bike, and horse are not early rizers and really F'in up the trails. MAJOR DOWN - Case in point this is the second F'd up section of trail containing the frozen evidence - right off the mesa trail on a newly constructed trail no less
    North Table Morning Ride-p1010363c.jpg

DOWN - Climbing up this sections quickly reminded me of how round I've become this winter
    North Table Morning Ride-p1010368c.jpg

UP - Early morning ride over and the steed is relatively clean.
    North Table Morning Ride-p1010376c.jpg

NTM is ridable, but I'd recommend riding early before the mud thaws.

mtbr member
    Great pics! Great morning. Since it's your first time up there I would suggest a counter clockwise loop next time, that's always been my favorite way to ride it.

Sounds like it may be a few days before it's nice again, bringing the bike in to get the susp worked over today anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great pics! Great morning. Since it's your first time up there I would suggest a counter clockwise loop next time, that's always been my favorite way to ride it.

Sounds like it may be a few days before it's nice again, bringing the bike in to get the susp worked over today anyways.
    Bob, you go around the mountain from the parking lot to the north and then come up to the top from the east side? I'll do anything to avoid that service road, what a boring ride.

mtbr member
    i like that service road climb. also i have been wanting to try this trail i discovered on google maps that starts from dirt parking lot at south end of peery pkwy, runs along west slope and eventually connects to service road. is that official bike trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Bob, you go around the mountain from the parking lot to the north and then come up to the top from the east side? I'll do anything to avoid that service road, what a boring ride.
    No, that would be clockwise, I always go up the service road so I can go down the waterfall area and around the north heading west. Now that the new trails are in on the south side I still hit them counterclockwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    calzonical, great pics as well. Those ruts in one of your pics? Will disappear entirely eventually, it's the riding around and creating wider trail that's the problem.

And that last pic? I was gonna say that's a helluva big cassette on that new ride...till I realized it was your car's rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No, that would be clockwise, I always go up the service road so I can go down the waterfall area and around the north heading west. Now that the new trails are in on the south side I still hit them counterclockwise.
    So, is that waterfall climb any more interesting than the service road? How long is the climb to the top on the east side? I've been down to the new trails on the south and east side, but not the northeast and north trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    So, is that waterfall climb any more interesting than the service road? How long is the climb to the top on the east side? I've been down to the new trails on the south and east side, but not the northeast and north trails.
    The waterfall area is a lot more interesting than the service road, which is why I prefer going down it than up it. I've never climbed it because that would require an out and back or having to go down the service road which is such a waste of gravity.

mtbr member
    it is definitely more interesting. nice rocky climb to the waterfall. i usually go down this way and than take that narrow single track that branches and heads back south, down towards the archery.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reports/pics. BTW nice Lenz!

Shread Ready
    Man, I really need to do this ride. Can't believe I haven't since so close! Looks like a good one with some nice fast single track. Does it compare to any other local FR trails? Is the climb harder than say chimney gulch? Chimney seems to work me over harder than White Ranch.

Just checked the Jeffco website and noticed this:
    Seasonal Closure: A seasonal closure is in effect for Rim Rock Trail and the area south of it to Mesa Top Trail from March 15 to July 31 to protect bird nesting habitat.

Might not leave much to ride huh?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    Man, I really need to do this ride. Can't believe I haven't since so close! Looks like a good one with some nice fast single track. Does it compare to any other local FR trails? Is the climb harder than say chimney gulch? Chimney seems to work me over harder than White Ranch.

Just checked the Jeffco website and noticed this:
    Seasonal Closure: A seasonal closure is in effect for Rim Rock Trail and the area south of it to Mesa Top Trail from March 15 to July 31 to protect bird nesting habitat.

Might not leave much to ride huh?
    IMHO NTM is unlike any other FR trails. You just need to grind up the service road and spin around up top, take any "legal" trail you find and get acquainted. It's almost a state of mind up there rather than a ride but you need to experience it to know what I'm talking about. And the service road is just a steep steady grunt, not technical like CG. Steep and fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Rim Trail closure does not significantly limit the riding on NTM. It's an out and back anyway when open. I wish that the closed "social" trail down from its turnaround would be opened, however.

The single track in Coors and Cottonwood canyons with the connector between them yields plenty of riding. If you don't like the grunt up the service roads to the towers or the quarry try starting at the TH off Ridge Rd. which is accessed from Easley Rd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGeezer View Post
    The Rim Trail closure does not significantly limit the riding on NTM. It's an out and back anyway when open. I wish that the closed "social" trail down from its turnaround would be opened, however.

The single track in Coors and Cottonwood canyons with the connector between them yields plenty of riding. If you don't like the grunt up the service roads to the towers or the quarry try starting at the TH off Ridge Rd. which is accessed from Easley Rd.
    Who wouldn't like the grunt up the service roads? That is my favorite part.

Members who have read this thread: 0