mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job! nitrous ride mini-report

well, i hit palmer today and pretty much wore myself out. rode most all of the usual trails im used to and then i hit templeton. well, on the old bike (the univega, never rode the jamis on temp) no matter which direction i went it seemed same each way. well on the nitrous, it definitely has a proper direction.. and guess what? yep, i rode the wrong direction. you guys never told me that! i spent a ton of time just carrying the bike up the various unclimbable sections. next time ill go clockwise.

anyways, there was a few sections that were blastable in that direction, and wouldnt you know. BAM! i endo'd on a small downhill section.. i dont think im used to the suspension yet. still remember the 12" on the old XR. doesnt quite handle the same. so yea, i was headed down adn the front wheel fell into or behind some lil boulder and the suspension compressed adn the wheel stopped so over i flew. all i could think of was "save the bike, save the bike!!!" after i hit and rolled i jumped up, turned around and started grabbing in the air for my soon to crash down baby. i think i was going too slow actually. nuff said.

then as if that wasnt enough i was going up a section and lost my footing/balance and tried to dab, but there was no "dab place" and i fell off the side (down hill of course) and trying to get my left foot out of my 10 yr old rat traps wiht straps, and grabbing the bike with the other hand and twirling counterclockwise, looking for a place to stop sliding grabbed a tree stump with my other hand, bike in the air with the other hand, (how many hands is that now?) adn finally stopped about 15 feet down. no bike damage on that one. but i did tear the seat on the endo.

oh, the ride report, oh yea.

well, 3 test rides, adn today make for some good time to report on the bike. lets start with the good stuff. i love it. love it, love it, love it! it handels so well, and the balance is really spot on, i can pull the bars back slightly standing and sail off any ledge with a level stance. no pedal input needed to get the front up. the brakes are great, again, saved a few hikers and other head on bikers. i moved the levers in soem and moved the IT release for the fork right next to the grip. much better, much easire to push the button while wheelie'ing and get the forks to extend instantly. very plush fork, dont ask me how much air or cliks or whatever i have dialed, i have no clue right now. just rode on what ProCycling set up for my weight. the rear seems a little less plush but im sure its an air or clik or spv adjustment. will look into that. bike is totally light 32 lbs. HA i measured at 67.5 with me on or off (seems to sag the same at each end, then) and doesnt feel like some other 67.5's ive ridden. fast steering, the IT lowers nicely on the uphills and i just push a little, or a little more to fine tune it. then, POP, do a wheelie and back to full ext at the top. tires seemed pretty good, ground them thru a few loose turns and they kept me from going down. (course, dunno what ill do when its time for new ones, since the stupid scott logo is half on the rim half on the tire). seat is harder than id prefer. need to contact larry at mtn adn see what was on the el chamuco, i liked that one alot.

thats all i can think of for the good stuff. now the minor bad. i say minor cuz some may just be me. last week i couldnt turn the compression knob on the forks, so i took it in and asked them, alan there just cranked it free with his hand. guess im a woosey. it was just too tight he said. so that was freed up, i was worried before that. the travel measures to about 5 inches exactly (i compress the forks with the IT button pressed adn see where they stop and then measured) its advertised as a 145 mm fork which is abou 5.7 inches. so i dunno. i did see that i went past my mark when just riding and landing hard (past where the IT compression stopped. mabey that is just the bottoming feature? if so, why include it in the travel then, input??

the brakes were sqealing yesterday in the garage (i rinsed it off and lubed the chain, so i thought i gummed up the pads) i removed the rear pads, ran them across some 240 sandpaper and cleaned teh rotor with brake cleen on a rag. didng fix it, then realized it was the front rotor rubbing the caliper. i loosend the bolts, slid the caliper over to center it more adn tighttendd (pretty hard to hold where you want an tighten, will ahve to invent another caliper mounting for that) and adjust the rears too just for fun. seemed to fix it.

lots of chain slap, swingarm is nicked up pretty good, lizard skin or what ever scott puts on it isnt long enought ot cover the whole length. bummer.

thats all i can think of on that, will add more as time goes by

had trouble posting a fresh thread on here yesterday, or i would have liked to coordinate a ride for today, but oh well.

thats enough for now

wildman, test pilot, out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

i know what youre thinking....

"that was a MINI-report???"

I do small drops.
    Don't encourage him! Let's keep the mini's that small!
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by wildman
    the travel measures to about 5 inches exactly (i compress the forks with the IT button pressed adn see where they stop and then measured) its advertised as a 145 mm fork which is abou 5.7 inches. so i dunno
    Well there were some problems with the Nixons, and if I remember right Manitou's fix was basically a travel limiter to keep it from bottoming. Search the forums, specifically for TScheezy as I know he was one of the first to ride a Nixon and I know he mentions the fix several times.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Well there were some problems with the Nixons, and if I remember right Manitou's fix was basically a travel limiter to keep it from bottoming. Search the forums, specifically for TScheezy as I know he was one of the first to ride a Nixon and I know he mentions the fix several times.
    Right.
    Manitou botched the Nixon. Lots of reports IT failure as well, but performance reviews otherwise favorable.

BTW, congrats on the ride Wildman. I guess pigs really do fly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks squeak....

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Right.
    Manitou botched the Nixon. Lots of reports IT failure as well, but performance reviews otherwise favorable.

i hope i dont have a bad one. i search out tchezzys posts, an see what he did.

BTW, congrats on the ride Wildman. I guess pigs really do fly.
    oink oink (i hope you mean the bike and not me!!) 32 lbs aint no piggy tho.

what seat is on larrys el cham? i really liked that. and, now since mine has a tear in it, its no good! gotta getta new one

Bodhisattva
    WTB Laser V Stealth
    I saw a few in stock at the shop this week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks ill have to call him up...

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    WTB Laser V Stealth
    I saw a few in stock at the shop this week.
    do you know the price range on those?