Bad Andy

nightrider classic battery fix?

I am pretty sure it was in this co-front range forum.
    Earlier this year there was a thread - not sure the original topic. But light batteries were being discussed at one point.
    I asked something about a nightrider classic battery (water bottle type) being repaired. Someone responded that they knew a company that could do it cheap.
    Anyone remember the thread or the company that does it?
    I can't find it in a search.

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    I am pretty sure it was in this co-front range forum.
    Earlier this year there was a thread - not sure the original topic. But light batteries were being discussed at one point.
    I asked something about a nightrider classic battery (water bottle type) being repaired. Someone responded that they knew a company that could do it cheap.
    Anyone remember the thread or the company that does it?
    I can't find it in a search.
    Check it!

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1250

$55, and your problem's solved.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    $55, and your problem's solved.
    Unless you have a 6V light.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2323
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

skillz to pay billz
    anyone know if you can replace the old bulb with a HID bulb?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    anyone know if you can replace the old bulb with a HID bulb?

Nope. The HID bulb requires a ballast. Certainly if you have the right voltage on the pack, you can get a HID head.

I'm retrofitting my old (6v) single beam Nitetrider with a home made LED, twice the lumens, 1.5 the burn time on the same pack.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I'm retrofitting my old (6v) single beam Nitetrider with a home made LED, twice the lumens, 1.5 the burn time on the same pack.
    Since I'm not an electrical genius (or genius of any sort), how about posting a DYI of that setup ... I have a really old NR that I would like to try this on.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    However, I do need to make this critical part first.
    Can you make two (2)?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    Since I'm not an electrical genius (or genius of any sort), how about posting a DYI of that setup ... I have a really old NR that I would like to try this on.
    When I actually get it done, I will.

However, I do need to make this critical part first. But it mounts on the four holes of the original niterider housing.

Picture is the completed assembly mounted on the old niterider housing. It uses two CREE Leds, regulators and a reflectors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Niterider retrofit

Did you ever get this done? I still have two old Niterider Classics that would be a great retro-fit to HID (or even LED). Seems like there are tons of bulbs out there now. If some one has pointer - please post it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
    If some one has pointer - please post it..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
    Did you ever get this done? I still have two old Niterider Classics that would be a great retro-fit to HID (or even LED). Seems like there are tons of bulbs out there now. If some one has pointer - please post it..
    PM Scar He has done alot of custom builds -
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Team Velveeta™

boat anchor

Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    Holy cow, paying $55 for a lead acid battery? Yikes.

Forgive me, I'm a light snob. Got more than I need, and they're all driven by lithium ion. Just the other night I put the batteries all on chargers to keep them from going stale.

Lots of advice out there for doing nice DIY setups. I'd spend my $55 on a homebrew LED/Li-ION long before I'd put anything into one of those old lead-acid systems driving a dim yellowy halogen lamp.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Light freak

Holy ressurection of an old thread, Batman!

Looking back at the original posts for this thread, Dec 2008, seems like just yesterday!

I agree that today Li-Ion's are accepted, are mainstream, and are the way to go. Back then not many bike lights were using them and all you heard about was them exploding.

I would have to agree that the time and energy required to retrofit these would not be worth it with all the options that are currently out there.

P.S. The OP (andychrysler) has been running one of my Amoeba light's since about Dec 2008

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a NR Classic. Still works okay but the charge doesn't hold like it used to. I can't figure out whether mine is the 13.2v or the 6v. I'm thinking the 13.2v as it's the "water bottle" type battery. It's not printed anywhere on it though.

Anyway, I found this really good step-by-step guide to do the battery swap on these...with the aforementioned replacement batteries. Pretty cool.

http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/3010.pdf

But then, I am sort of tired of lugging this massive thing around. Maybe I just need a new light...
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    But then, I am sort of tired of lugging this massive thing around. Maybe I just need a new light...
    I used to ride with a Niterider Digital which was the same light head as the classic with a fancy on/off switch. Night riding with it was fun at the time, but I can't believe how much more fun it is with modern LED/Li-on lights! We ride as fast at night as we do during the day (faster really since you don't need to worry about hikers) and have a blast. The best thing is that you can get lights that are 4+ times as bright for about the same $$ you paid for your NR when you bought it (I'm guessing 10+ years ago).

I'm a big fan of the Amoebas and highly recommend them--especially for your helmet since you can put the light and battery right on it and not need to deal with a cord. The are small/light enough that you can throw them in your pack for those "just in case" moments when a daylight ride goes way longer than you expect. Scar's customer service has been top notch too. If you're looking for a cheaper solution, the MagicShines from Geomangear.com are a lot of light for the price and Geoman seems to have a solid reputation for customer service on the light forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Classic Voltage

IIRC the Classic was always a 12V (maybe 13.2) system. Not a 6V in either case.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I used to ride with a Niterider Digital which was the same light head as the classic with a fancy on/off switch. Night riding with it was fun at the time, but I can't believe how much more fun it is with modern LED/Li-on lights! We ride as fast at night as we do during the day (faster really since you don't need to worry about hikers) and have a blast. The best thing is that you can get lights that are 4+ times as bright for about the same $$ you paid for your NR when you bought it (I'm guessing 10+ years ago).

I'm a big fan of the Amoebas and highly recommend them--especially for your helmet since you can put the light and battery right on it and not need to deal with a cord. The are small/light enough that you can throw them in your pack for those "just in case" moments when a daylight ride goes way longer than you expect. Scar's customer service has been top notch too. If you're looking for a cheaper solution, the MagicShines from Geomangear.com are a lot of light for the price and Geoman seems to have a solid reputation for customer service on the light forum.
    Thanks for the info and yep...the Amoeba is what I'm looking at. A bunch of the guys I ride with use them and love them. And you are right...this spring/fall I would pack that NR in my pack and lug it around the entire ride and then not use it because I ended up making it back before dark. So YES, a smaller lighter setup is what is needed and I can't see spending $30-$40 to get the NR back up and running when I could put that toward this new light. Hey, BTW, we have a great group of guys that ride on Thurs nights...night riding a bit as well. So if you are interested PM me.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

Members who have read this thread: 0