Single Speed Junkie

New opportunities?

Wife is finally finished up her second degree in the medical field here and we are considering relocation. My job is the one we worry about being in the high tech / defense / intelligence industry. While I have been getting pinged quite a bit already this year we are looking at moving back closer to family. We are considering everything from Pueblo up to Fort Collins. Any possible recommendations of employers hiring mid to senior level project engineering management?

Know I need some bike content in here somewhere so here is my handmade top cap with the mascot on the stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New opportunities?-fishing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Lockheed Martin always has a ton of positions open all over the front range.

Living the High Life
    I'd suggest Sierra Nevada. They have a space division on the north side of Denver and an aeronautics on the south side. They've contacted me twice already.

Also check United Launch Alliance, it's a Boeing/Lockheed Martin combo that builds Atlas/Delta launch vehicles. Their engineering group is in Denver.

Ratheon is also in Denver and Colorado Springs. For Lockheed, not hiring much externally right now.

slow
    As you get up here toward Fort Collins, you'll find housing tough to get. Rental vacancies are way down and homes are selling as fast as they go on the market under about $290k. I am in multiple offer situations with buyers and about 70% of the inventory is under contract in many segments. Stuff is going under contract in just days. It feels like 2004-2007 in the Fort Collins / Loveland markets right now.

Team Velveeta™

Top Shelf top cap

Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    ... here is my handmade top cap with the mascot on the stem.
    I haven't got any advice about jobs for you, but that top cap is pretty fargin' kewl.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    As you get up here toward Fort Collins, you'll find housing tough to get. Rental vacancies are way down and homes are selling as fast as they go on the market under about $290k. I am in multiple offer situations with buyers and about 70% of the inventory is under contract in many segments. Stuff is going under contract in just days. It feels like 2004-2007 in the Fort Collins / Loveland markets right now.
    My folks live up in Ft Collins and are thinking of moving to Oklahoma to be near my sister, but they thought the market was bad. I'll call 'em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Forget the job, ride yer ass off while your wife brings home the bacon.

mtbr member
    Are you only considering positions in the defense and aerospace industry?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by teleken View Post
    Forget the job, ride yer ass off while your wife brings home the bacon.
    This.

mtbr member
    Colorado Springs, with 5 bases including NORAD and US SPACE Command might be right up your alley. PM me; I might be able to help.

mtbr member

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by btx View Post
    Tell me about it !!

I'm a self-employed finish carpenter and 2 yrs ago, I went 9 months with no work at all. Now I've been working 6/7days/week since ~ last 4th of July and it looks like things are starting to ramp up even more !

Though I was able to ride 7 days a week from home during my unemployment, it was more for stress relief after 5-6 hrs a day of job searching. I got off at noon today and finally got my first ST dirt ride in since about last Oct. on a new pair of tires, new derailleur cables, new disk pads ,etc. and it felt great

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    This.
    Spoken like someone who's never done that. I've been un-employed w/ Sugar Mama. I'd sooner kill myself then do that again...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave View Post
    Tell me about it !!

I'm a self-employed finish carpenter and 2 yrs ago, I went 9 months with no work at all. Now I've been working 6/7days/week since ~ last 4th of July and it looks like things are starting to ramp up even more !

Though I was able to ride 7 days a week from home during my unemployment, it was more for stress relief after 5-6 hrs a day of job searching. I got off at noon today and finally got my first ST dirt ride in since about last Oct. on a new pair of tires, new derailleur cables, new disk pads ,etc. and it felt great
    Glad you got some work now. I was a superintendant for Bill Bartran back in the 80"s up in the Fort and we went through some real tough times, but then things turned around. A good trim carp is hard to find, your skills are still needed.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    Glad you got some work now. I was a superintendant for Bill Bartran back in the 80"s up in the Fort and we went through some real tough times, but then things turned around. A good trim carp is hard to find, your skills are still needed.
    I'm trimming for Dan Bartran now; what a small world we live in !

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Are you only considering positions in the defense and aerospace industry?
    Seems to be where the majority of my background is currently along with project / program management and creating innovative solutions for some gov. agencies.... Have also done work for high tech commercial and medical organizations.

I saw one interesting PM opportunity with Microsoft in Boulder doing mapping. Thought that would be ideal based off prior back ground with aerial and other imagery for DoD clients. That along with using imagery mapping and re-establishing 1890 mining trails between two now ghost towns in NM. Hoping I will get a call back there.

Have applied with Ball Aero a few times now and following then via LinkedIN. Have applied to a few positions where I could be an asset and hoping that the resume filters and gate keepers will be receptive on the applications.

Thankfully I have a beautiful family who is highly supportive. My daughter while only in kindergarten is being tested for advanced placement and more challenging classes. At work I'm in high demand and having a viable impact across the organization. While the work is there I'm seeking new challenges and to get the career back on track with where it was in 2008 before a contract I was working was closed out unexpectedly.

For those that have sent PMs thank you I really appreciate it and will reply shortly as I'm on travel in and out of airports for the past few days. Hope every one is having a great Saturday and getting out for a ride.

mtbr member
    If you might be interested in a project management position in the IT area, my employer is often hiring project managers. If that might be something you are interested in PM me.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcookson View Post
    Spoken like someone who's never done that. I've been un-employed w/ Sugar Mama. I'd sooner kill myself then do that again...
    Squeeze me? I've done it... it kicked ass.

lucky enough
    I was going to mention Ball but I see you already know about them. I would also suggest satellite data providers Digital Globe in Longmont (near Boulder ) and Geoeye in Thornton.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Thread Terrorist
    Ball, Lockheed, Seakr (hiring like crazy), Raytheon, and coors. I think Coors is going to use their next beer as a paralyzing agent against terrorists.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    I was going to mention Ball but I see you already know about them. I would also suggest satellite data providers Digital Globe in Longmont (near Boulder ) and Geoeye in Thornton.
    Thanks, for the insight. Managed to find and apply for an opportunity with DigitalGlobe matching my skill set and career aspirations in a strategy role. Doing some research on the company it appears to be a good working environment. Currently trying to get a few connection via linked in as well seeing if that could help.

This week alone I have been approached by quite a few companies so it would seem as it the economy is picking up. I hope that this will bring about new growth for all.

Members who have read this thread: 0