Living the High Life

New Keystone Trail Status

Does anyone know that status of Eye of the Tiger, East Forest, Even Flow, or Helter Skelter trails?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As of Sat 7/7, they were not open. everything else was in primo shape

Thread Terrorist
    If they follow the past few years' history, these will be open the last week Keystone is open.

mtbr member
    I was told one of the new trails should open next week. East forest will take the longest to build, so they are planning on getting the other new stuff in first.

Everything looks great. Everyone has been working really hard.

eci
    from talking ot the trail crew evenflow should be open very very soon. Either helter or eye will be soon after that and the other one(helter/eye) and east forrest will be open very late season.

Also from the dood driving the keystone truck was that Bender had left the trail crew for a different endeavor possibly returning before the end of the season

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Also from the dood driving the keystone truck was that Bender had left the trail crew for a different endeavor possibly returning before the end of the season
    Yeah Bender has not been around for a while... I was told by one of the trail crew on opening weeking that he is in teh Tahoe area building trails for another resort.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

eye of the tiger

Should/will be open this weekend. Most of it should be finished tomorrow, and it just needs to be ridden in some before opening. It is rough atm, but should be good for this weekend, maybe as early as thurs/fri. The line is a fun ride and by the time it opens it will be another good blue run.

Evenflow is kinda done. It just needs to get all the bridges built and installed. But the trail building part(the benching and what not) is all done.

helter skelter and east forest have really yet to be started.

But the trail crew did a nice job on fixing up the steep switch back section of High Speed Dirt with some nice berms and a greatly improved "easy" line down the drop in.

see you all up there.

Living the High Life
    Thanks for the updates, I was hoping some of them would be open before August.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctis
    a greatly improved "easy" line down the drop in.
    We need a nice little berm at the bottom of that thing.

Keystone Trail Crew is killing it this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah high speed dirt was pretty different in a good way on Sun versus last Wed. A berm on the bottom of the drop in would be key. I tend to overshoot that sucker.

Which new trail is the black that offers an alternative to wild thing?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Even Flow.

I cannot express how psyched I am to have a WIld Thing bypass .

Stand back
    Amen to that, brotha! I've never really liked that run, but it wouldn't be so bad if there was a reasonable alternative and you didn't have to hit it on EVERY run.
    Ahh, but now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head the rest of the day.. Could be much worse I suppose...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Living the High Life
    You know, every time I go by Wild Thing, and it seems I do every time I take a run, I consider my options. I know a lot you out there are balls to the so called vertical support housing mechanisms, but I think "do I want to ride my bars today?" And I usually end up taking Boy Scouts.

Sometimes I take Wild Thing, but honestly, I'm not good enough to have fun at it.

So there it is!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    You know, every time I go by Wild Thing, and it seems I do every time I take a run, I consider my options. I know a lot you out there are balls to the so called vertical support housing mechanisms, but I think "do I want to ride my bars today?" And I usually end up taking Boy Scouts.

Sometimes I take Wild Thing, but honestly, I'm not good enough to have fun at it.

So there it is!
    Wild Thing is tough for sure. A bit nasty over those big boulders. I love that maneuver you have to do to clear the stump past that little bridge. Plus the next 3 drops are fun. Watch out for that big rock in the middle of the first drop after the stump. I just huck it now. As long as my front tire misses the rock I am rolling.
    It's a fun trail for sure, It's just tough to squeeze the brakes after coming down the whole mountain. I bypass it sometimes also usually cause I am beat but we def need other options.

Thread Terrorist
    I didn't know bypassing Wild thing was an option.... hmmm.... perhaps next time

what nice teeth you have
    I like to put one foot down and keep one foot on the pedal and lean way back when going ove those big boulders. Still havn't gotten to where I can ride it. Won't get past it this summer either. Wont be up there much this summer.

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by nadinno78
    I like to put one foot down and keep one foot on the pedal and lean way back when going ove those big boulders. Still havn't gotten to where I can ride it. Won't get past it this summer either. Wont be up there much this summer.

You guys talking about this section? If so, go right down the middle between the "V" rocks at the very top. It looks harder but actually it's easier. If you go to the right it's really a lot more risky. At least for me any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    You guys talking about this section? If so, go right down the middle between the "V" rocks at the very top. It looks harder but actually it's easier. If you go to the right it's really a lot more risky. At least for me any way.
    Theres 2 lines down the 3 step. you can go between the V as you stated which is definetly the easiest line or you can go straight down the center(theres rocks all the way to the third step) then you drop about a foot. as long as your over the back and carrying some speed your good to go.

Or you can just pretend your jared graves and hop the whole thing land flat and blast off between the last set of trees

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Theres 2 lines down the 3 step. you can go between the V as you stated which is definetly the easiest line or you can go straight down the center(theres rocks all the way to the third step) then you drop about a foot. as long as your over the back and carrying some speed your good to go.

Or you can just pretend your jared graves and hop the whole thing land flat and blast off between the last set of trees

No crap, is that what Jared Graves did? That's nuts!

what nice teeth you have
    Kudos for th tips I can only imagine seeing someone hop over the boulders and shoot the trees. It does bring a big smile to my face thinking about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

tiger friday

I am under the impression that Eye of the Tiger will be opening tomorrow(Friday).
    It is pretty fun, none of the "advanced" features have been added to it yet, but will be put in once the trail is more run in and the KTDC(Keystone Trail Design Crew) has time to figure out how fast people are going through sections. So give it a couple weeks before that stuff starts showing up.

And on a side note, it rained up here for about 2 hours tonight after closing, so the riding tomorrow should be great.

is busy bein' rad.
    I will be in attendance.

Hunki dori at 945

black Uzzi, deemax

percocet pioneer.
    same. myself and my buddy from WI.

look for two kids on a black yeti as-x and a trek session 7

Ricky DH
    I'm there tomorrow (sat.)!!

mtbr member

Let's meet then

Me is a red Devinci with a guy in a bright yellow t-shirt.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Me is a red Devinci with a guy in a bright yellow t-shirt.
    Klaus,
    I'll be there as well. We met on the Scrub Sourdough ride. I'll be on a Bronze Turner. Black/red full face.
    Jim

mtbr member

Yes, I think I remember...

... I was goggling your nice fork... Definitely the appropriate bike for tomorrow.

BTW: I plan to stay overnight. If I can get a space to put my tent that is.

Looking forward to see you again.

Klaus

mtbr member
    Any word on the new trail(s)?

percocet pioneer.
    eye of the tiger is open, but its nothing special...

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    eye of the tiger is open, but its nothing special...
    At the moment it is just a thin raw line through the trees. But it is way to early to tell what it will end up being like once the built up features are in place. I am looking forward to it being finished!

mtbr member
    Sounds good I will check it out tomorrow.

Thread Terrorist
    No pics? COME ON PEEEPS? LETS SEE IT!

..or maybe i should just use my pass and go up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Evenflow

Sounds like Evenflow will be opening on Sat the 28th. So those looking for an alt to Wild Thing will have something new to try out. Or for those looking for something STEEP to ride, this will be it. Because, it will be the steepest trail on the mountain(not counting that 30' section of high speed dirt).

Also sounds like Keystone might be putting on a party that day to celebrate the new trails of the year, I am hearing stickers, T-shirts, hot dogs, and Beer(after the lifts close). See you there.

Members who have read this thread: 0