mtbr member
    Aug 2006

New to the area (Granby), looking for open trails.

So I took a seasonal job in Granby (hopefully going to stay for a year or two). I'm from Chattanooga, TN. I ride XC, occasionally like to hit the jumps, and I'm used to pretty rocky and rooty trails. In the Chatta-vegas area I ride at a an advanced/expert level in terms of trail ratings.

Are there any trails within a two hour drive that are open now and worth doing? Any trail with good Mexican food nearby gets bonus points.

ride
    Lots of stuff on the front range is starting to at least get into the Spring cycle, meaning some days it snows, other days it doesn't. Gonna be a mixed bag for another month this way.

For more local riding tips, get down to Fraser and check out Totally Wired Cyclery/Rocky Mountain Roastery and talk to Wade. He can point you in a few good directions up there. The Phase trails are usually the first thing in your area to thaw out, but even then you're looking at April or May.

Lots of good Mexican all over the Front Range, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    I can't comment much on the trails until Sol Vista opens, but once it does you'll be stoked. They have the best variety of DH in the state--everything from perm-a-grin flow trails to full on rocky DH race courses. There is lots of great riding in the Fraiser Valley, but much of it is out of commission until the spring/summer.

Regarding Mexican food, we ate at Azteca Mexican restaurant in Fraiser last summer. I wasn't expecting too much but it was the best Mexican I've eaten in the last 10 years--seriously! I'm not sure how much of that was because we were shot after downhilling at SV all day and how much of it was the food, but I would definitely recommend trying it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I live in Tabertrash and will be willing to take you around when trails get open but nothing is even close. You could grab a snow shovel and try to shovel out a trail in the phases but it will just get covered again until April. I am thinking of trying a front range trip this weekend or maybe heading to fruita. Hit me up if you want to jump in the car and try to ride somewhere. Anyone know if Buffalo Creek is ridable at all?
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dtimms View Post
    I live in Tabertrash and will be willing to take you around when trails get open but nothing is even close.

That would be awesome. I'm stoked to be able to get some good skiing in but I'm ready to be on the bike.

Are the trails at the YMCA any good?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prsman27 View Post
    Are the trails at the YMCA any good?

Top notch Nordic Skiing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Top notch Nordic Skiing.
    What about for mtn bikes? Tried my hand at Nordic and didn't care much for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    never tried to ride at the YMCA. There are great trails across the highway at the end of CR 85/87. They won't be rideable for another month or so of this weather. Sorry for the late response. We are heading to Buffalo Creek Saturday morning if you want to ride. Probably ride the morning and get back early afternoon. Shoot me an email cause I check that a lot more often. dallas.timms@gmail.com
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

~~~~~~~~
    Check in with the Grand Mountain Bike Alliance facebook page
    noticed there was trail conditions info posted recently and it will likely turn into a good resource site for the area.

Members who have read this thread: 0