Thread: New to the Area

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New to the Area

Hey, I just moved up to Denver and my buddy is moving up here this Friday. We were hoping to hear about a few trails that are not too hardcore/rocky but somewhat fast, scenic, or just fun. Could you guys give me a few places to start with? I live in Cherry Creek but I can take my bike anywhere. My Pathfinder just got a new suspension so getting to trailheads that daunt most cars is no problem either. I'd like to start with some easier trails before trying out the scary ones

Thanks and any basic directions will be appreciated. I'l also pick up a book on mtn bike trails but local info ifrom you guys is invaluable.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Hey, I just moved up to Denver and my buddy is moving up here this Friday. We were hoping to hear about a few trails that are not too hardcore/rocky but somewhat fast, scenic, or just fun. Could you guys give me a few places to start with? I live in Cherry Creek but I can take my bike anywhere. My Pathfinder just got a new suspension so getting to trailheads that daunt most cars is no problem either. I'd like to start with some easier trails before trying out the scary ones

Thanks and any basic directions will be appreciated. I'l also pick up a book on mtn bike trails but local info ifrom you guys is invaluable.
    Start with TrailCentral.com and RedstoneCyclery.com, both will give you good descriptions, maps and sometimes photos of trails in the area.

From there I'd think about picking up this book...
    It helped me a ton when I first moved here, and I use it to get to new trails, find something new or see elevation graphs. You can find it at most bike shops in and around the area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a good start- thanks! I am slightly older, easy on trails, and pretty responsible -like to leave as as good or better than when we arrived. I'm hoping to find some great scenery as well so I will start with this. Any more info is appreciated as well.

mtbr member
    Harro.....where did you move from?

I'm not familiar with any trails in Denver but I can tell you of some fun rides in the Co Spgs area.
    Palmer Park, Section 16, Ute Valley, Capt Jacks/Chutes, and Jones Downhill to name a few.
    Also a fun ride near Woodland Zoo (Woodland Park) is Rampart Reservoir; you should check that out sometime. I’m bad with directions but you can review most trails on this site or check out singletracks.com lots of good info on that site as well.
    -J
    Whats it like!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I moved from the Kansas City area three weeks ago and I'm going through close-friends-withdrawal so I'm looking to hit some nice sigletrack for starters and get my mind off Kansas City and all my friends

contains quinine
    I moved from the Kansas City area three weeks ago and I'm going through close-friends-withdrawal so I'm looking to hit some nice sigletrack for starters and get my mind off Kansas City and all my friends
    Landahl rocks. One of these days I'll get back there.

Check out the trail descriptions here on mtbr too.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Oh, well....welcome to Colorado!

I think you'll have lots of fun riding the trails in Co and you'll for sure meet some cool people in doing so.
    Enjoy your stay!
    -J
    Whats it like!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Landahl was a great ride. It was way more fun than the usual KC trails

I've wnted to move here for a long time and finally could. I like it already though starting all over isn't always easy. I can hardly wait to start riding again and check out the local trails and the view.

Maybe I'll get in some camping as well. My Boxer can't stand the heat much but when it's cooler, I will take her and head out to some nice areas to camp in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, AND I will probably run into some of you over the span of this riding season. If you see a really tanned guy on a red Yeti ASR-SL with Speedplay Frogs, Marzocchi fork, and Karma tires, it ME!! I'll prob have my Camelback on too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'll second the book idea

Jdub suggested. I have lived here all my life and it's a great reference in a small package. I think the author has a couple others available too for the high country and up North maybe?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    KC Area eh?

I moved here from Tulsa, OK about 7 months ago. Be prepared for long long busting climbs, especially at first. I really struggled with even small climbs at first.

Drink lots of water, try riding some "base miles" on the bike paths and flats, and just take breaks when you are tired. Moving to CO was a humbling experience to me as I used to be a pretty strong rider, but its getting better and the change of scenery sure is nice.

You'll start to get adapted to life here, heck you moved at the right time of the year as peak riding season is really just getting started. Missing family and friends won't ever go away but it does get easier with time.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    check out waterton canyon near chatfield resevior...basically its a very scenic 5 mile doubletrack along the river, usually see big horn sheep...from there you can connect it to a bunch of singletrack, some along the colorado trail, very pretty up in there...if you want more info let me know...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jdub: Yup, I actually lived in Tulsa too- for 4 years (81st and Sheridan area). I will take your advice and take it easy at first.

Thanks for the tips too, billybobzia- I live close enough to try this one out soon.

mtbr member

Enjoy the snow!

I hear it's supposed to turn ugly tomorrow. Don't know how much we're going to get, but I'll be disappointed if it's less than a foot.

mtbr member

Waterton Canyon, as suggested already. Nice easy intro to Colorado air, as it is just a fireroad for @ 6 miles, then turns to 1-track. Also go up to Red Rocks, and ride the Matthews Winters trail. If you've never seen the Red Rocks ampitheater before, that should definately be on yer to do list. The Mathews/Winters trail runs right thru it. Or go to Green Mountain, for cool views of the whole city. Deer Creek Canyon's pretty easy, too. I'm sure you'll find all these trails easily with the suggested web links, or if you get a trail book.

I think someone already said this, but pretty much any trails you go to here are going to involve a ton of effort for you initially, (altitude) but im sure you'll adjust pretty quick. After you're comfortable, check out the Dakota Ridge side of M/W, and go to Apex/Chimney Gulch. Those 2 get my "certified stamp of approval" as the best close to Denver trails.

Hopefully the lame-a$$, wet, soggy, crappy dismal weather we've been stuck with since early march is finally done, so you can go out and explore your new surroundings. (Can you tell i'm bitter about our spring weather???)

I think you'll be happy with the area, as far as MTB'ing goes.

addict
    Apr 2004

greenie !!

Green Mountain is a good trail to get used to the front range riding( get out of car, and climb your a$$ off. SWEET!). After you you can leave the rooney lot and hammer up the fire road to the top, you are ready. front range trails are just the tip of the iceberg. lots of great riding in CO, just riding parts of the CO trail will fill a summer. it will also give you a case of perma-grin.

enjoy, j

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All this sounds great- I can't wait for the weekend!!

mtbr member
    Hey Flyer! I just moved out from Lenexa about 18 months ago. Same as you, I moved out alone and missed my family and friends terribly. It is funny how heading into the mountains with my bike helped make it easier though.
    As mentioned already, Waterton Canyon is an excellent ride to use as a Colorado primer. I rode it quite a bit at first. It starts out very easy, but the farther you go, the more difficult it becomes. And it is very scenic. Green Mountain is also good if you start at the Rooney Road trailhead and work your way around the south side. This gives you a bit of a warm-up before the climbs. The Buffalo Creek area is another one that I really like. It is a bit of a drive (30-45min?) from Denver, but worth it. Not as much climbing as the trails here by the city, and you can put in some serious miles there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, I'll head out there this weekend. It's good to see so many guys from around KC- we should try to meet up at a trailhead sometime. Just give me a bit to adjust to the lack of O2.

I'm always willing to bring up the rear- I lost my ego a while ago and prefer to keep my bones and teeth intact

locked - time out
    You should post here when you are ready to head out - I've met a ton of very cool riding friends through this board, and it's not uncommon for group rides to see a pretty decent turnout. Plus, you are bound to meet some people with similar riding styles / skills, as there are all types on here.

hari kari
    All this sounds great- I can't wait for the weekend!!
    Ignore everybody's advice in here and take mine.

Do Alderfer / Three Sisters Open Space Park in Evergreen. It's the best, prettiest newbie spot around, that won't bore you to tears, and provides enough technical challenges on the Sisters trail in case you get your mojo dialed in. And it's dry. Or at least it was dry. Whatever. Just do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This friend I met mentioned Evergreen when I first got here. I'll try to do a search for it today as well. Thanks for your high-pressure advice that I appreciate

hari kari
    This friend I met mentioned Evergreen when I first got here. I'll try to do a search for it today as well. Thanks for your high-pressure advice that I appreciate
    Assuming it's ridable, I may very well be up there myself. PM me if you like, and I can show you the Didisse hook up that extends the ride and makes it oh so fun.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty
    Assuming it's ridable, I may very well be up there myself. PM me if you like, and I can show you the Didisse hook up that extends the ride and makes it oh so fun.

is that the one that goes past the old homestead?? where does it end up, i walk up there with my dogs every time i am up there but have never ridden that part...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

old skool newbie

the dedisse trail connection

starts just west of the golf course parking lot on the south side of Upper Bear Creek road, take the foot bridge across the creek and the trail goes up the north side of sisters and meets up with the fawn trail, (its north slope so will be wet/muddy still, and don't park in the resturant and golf course parking lot, they aren't nice, park down by the boat house and ride Upper Bear Creek road for about 1/2 click)

hari kari
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    starts just west of the golf course parking lot on the south side of Upper Bear Creek road, take the foot bridge across the creek and the trail goes up the north side of sisters and meets up with the fawn trail, (its north slope so will be wet/muddy still, and don't park in the resturant and golf course parking lot, they aren't nice, park down by the boat house and ride Upper Bear Creek road for about 1/2 click)
    Yeah, that's the trail, but I park at the Dedisse Park trailhead. Coming south on 74, almost exactly when it turns from a 4-lane into a 2-lane, you'll see the sign to your right. You can park right there and can catch a little singletrack up from the sign about 20 yards that will take you from that trailhead to the footbridge goldenboy described.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Hello Kitty
    Yeah, that's the trail, but I park at the Dedisse Park trailhead. Coming south on 74, almost exactly when it turns from a 4-lane into a 2-lane, you'll see the sign to your right. You can park right there and can catch a little singletrack up from the sign about 20 yards that will take you from that trailhead to the footbridge goldenboy described.
    From the looks of downtown Evergreen right now - it should be good to go this weekend. It's been in the mid 50's all day and it's supposed to be nicer tommorrow.

Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    I hear it's supposed to turn ugly tomorrow. Don't know how much we're going to get, but I'll be disappointed if it's less than a foot.
    NO MORE SNOW.