mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Need Your Help With Planning

So let me start by saying that I live in Missouri and in a month am making a trip to Colorado to do some hiking and biking. Not a bad combination in my book. So what I need from you guys is some advice on where to go ride on the front range.

We'll be doing one day of downhill, and most likely two days of xc. I'll be riding with a friend who's not quit seasoned, so I'm thinking a few trails that are around 20 or less miles would be best. As far as technical difficulty, intermediate would be best. We're looking for a ski resort type downhill, so any extra advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're also looking forward to doing some fly fishing in the upper lakes and streams. Any advice on hiking trails with plenty of them? I think a bike and fish combination would be neat too. A 20-30 mile intermediate hike would be best. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure this has come up before, and if it has just post the trackback. Good riding...

mtbr member
    As far as DH stuff goes, the front range lacks a little in that department. Some folks shuttle a couple of places here, but that seems to piss a lot of folks off. Head off to Winter Park or Keystone for lift accessed DH stuff.

XC stuff? Mad options for you! Consider Walker Ranch west of Boulder or Apex in Golden for some fun and intermediate riding. There are a whole lot of places to ride, just check out the mtbr trail reviews section for the cities of Boulder and Golden.

As far as fishing goes, one of my favorite spots is up near Lake Brainard west of Boulder, Lots of lake and creek fishing to be had. Some good gems up there too

Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just moved back from KC. Hiking options are awesome as are the XC trails. I don;t dig DH so have little to offer there. I'd say go a bit further out and do two of the following:

Buffalo Creek (hour from Denver)
    Kenosha Pass (bit over an hour from Denver- great hike)
    CO Trail or others at Breckenridge (1.5 hrs away, I think- some of the best hiking)

The nice thing about Breck is that you can do some fishing up there. There are a couple of great guide shops there as well. Use one- it will be well worth it. They know all the great spots.

Wait for seasoned locals to chime in. I've lived here before but still don't know much about the trails and fishing spots. People are friendly and towns are charming. The trails are amazing. Just yield to uphill riders, hikers, and watch for the occasional skittish horse. Watch the fast down runs- hikers abound on some trails. Have a blast!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In the front range for hiking check out the Indian Peaks Wilderness. Lots of fishing too, both lake and stream. Try Diamond Lake off the 4th of July Trailhead...I alwyas see the fisherman coming down from there. The trailhead is about 20 min from Ned, which is about 45 min from Boulder. It's a wilderness so you can't ride bikes. There are tons of trails that lead to mountain lakes and most trails seem to have a creek alongside them. Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions. I've been living in the area for awhile.

Buffalo Creek would be your best bet for intermediate riding. Miles and miles of great singletrack. Kenosha Pass is one of my favs, but unless you want to climb 5000+ ft and be ont he bike 5-6 hrs, I would cross it off the list.

Tribe Member
    You could do all of that riding/fishing/hiking at Keystone. Great DH trails, access to the CO trail and high altitude riding for the XC and fly fishing in the Snake river right there in Keystone.

If you got bored (not fun anymore) vs board (as in 2x4) with riding at Keystone, go to Breck and ride. If the fishing is bad, try the Blue river outside of Silverthorne. Plenty of hiking around that area also.

One stop shopping in Summit county.....have a great trip
    Last edited by yetirich; 06-20-2007 at 06:35 AM.
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    try the Blue river outside of Silverthorne.
    Ah yes, Asbestos Alley where you can catch plenty of good sized fish and shopping carts!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich
    You could do all of that riding/fishing/hiking at Keystone. Great DH trails, access to the CO trail and high altitude riding for the XC and fly fishing in the Snake river right there in Keystone.

If you got board with riding at Keystone, go to Breck and ride. If the fishing is bad, try the Blue river outside of Silverthorne. Plenty of hiking around that area also.

One stop shopping in Summit county.....have a great trip
    Board with Keystone? I suppose if you don't have much suspension, Breck would be better. But I've never been more board on the DH at Breck.

I agree with Yetirich, There are tons of options all around Summit, including camping, fishing, hiking (without bikers), and such. Keystone is the bomb for DH, and there are tons of AM (ALL Mountain) riding all around. Not much simple xc, though. Someone mentioned Buffalo Creek.... that's a great option as well.

mtbr member

enjoy your trip out here!

i don't fish, but when riding waterton canyon on the way up to section 1 of the colorado trail i always see fishermen on the banks...

also, someone mentioned brainard lake above-- that is very near the sourdough trail.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

"Coming To Colorado" Wasn't that an Eddie Murphy movie??

Wait, no...never mind. Where in Colorado are you coming? Strictly Front Range? Post over on the Western Slope Forum for more ideas on the other side of our lovely state.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Most likey just the front

Thanks for all the advice you all have given so far, it has been greatly appreciated and studied. We probably wont go to the western front, all though I'm planning a trip to Fruita this fall. This trip is more of a budget trip, thrown togeather quickly and with a budget of about 500 bucks a peice. Shouldn't be a problem though, we figured up everything now, and the total comes up to about 350. Should leave us enough room for the little stuff.

We looked at both Keystone and Winterpark for the DH. Right now we've planned on Winterpark. Even though most of you think Keystone is better, we won't be able to do any of the black trails anyways. I just came back from a dislocated elbow (right in the middle of racing season : ( and my friends dont have the experience. With that being said, I think Winterpark should do us fine, and its about 50 dollars cheaper. Thats a new set of tires in my book. So yes, for now, we're just planning on the front range....

Members who have read this thread: 0