Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is my BB7 brake broke?

807 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  smmokan 
#1 ·
I was cleaning out my brakes and rotors today and I came across a slight problem. I removed the brake pads in my front BB7s and was trying to put them back in... I turned the outer adjustment knob, and the small round piece inside the brake popped loose- the piece that sits behind the brake pad and pushes it into the rotor when you squeeze the lever. I can't get it to go back in for the life of me.... is this thing broken? If it is, do they warranty this kind of thing? It basically fell off without any kind of force or jolting.

Some pics (you can see the round piece in the middle, when it should be up flush with the side of the brake).

This shows it better- the bottom of the round piece was once sticking into the hole below it:

See less See more
#4 ·
I did literally the *exact* same thing with one of my BB7's. After I did this, i thought to myself "you idiot, why did you just do that???"

It sucked, but i got it back in basically using brute force. I slid a screwdriver into the open area of the brake, so the sahft was sitting on top of the piece that popped out. Then I tapped the shaft of the screwdriver with a hammer 20 times, this put it back in the right spot... The brake works fine now, but i don't think it's working 100% I'm going to probably just buy a new set.

Wonder how many other people have had this problem?

#9 ·
Looking at the diagram on SRAM's website, it appears that a piece either popped out or broke off the post in the picture (on the end of the round part)... there's no way this can just be popped back in. You can't see it from the pictures, but in the bottom pic there's a piece that should be on the bottom end of the round part- but it isn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.