Must ride trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Must ride trails?

My buddy and I are planning a trip up to Moab and over to Denver with stops along the way to ride. Escaping the Phoenix heat this summer. We are thinking about early June. Trying to get some advice on stuff we need to ride. Looking for xc rides in the neighborhood of 2-4 hours. Any tips would be appreciated.

Your bike is incorrigible
    The best advice I can give you is to take the scenic route through Gunnison and Crested Butte. Both CB and Hartman Rocks are the best riding I've done in Colorado. Sure, there are excellent rides on the front range, but I think of them as training for CB.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Early June is too early for the goods in Crested Butte. Hartman's is a good call, though. Also the low-elevation rides in Salida would be good.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Hit the Lunch Loops in GJ, try to shuttle ribbon if you can. Some parts of some trails are very difficult here. Holy Cross is not super difficult but is super awesome.

Also, the trails off the Loma exit near Fruita are awesome, try to hit Horsethief and Moore Fun.

Around Denver... hit Brainard Lake (near Ward) and ride South St. Vrain down (warning, this is not an easy trail!), take Sourdough to Little Raven on the way up.

Ginny Trail just south of Ft. Collins in Bobcat Ridge Natural Area, out and back or take powerline up.

Crosier Mountain just north of Estes Park. Good Luck if you try this one, you have been warned. This is one of the most difficult trails I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Buffalo Creek

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Early June is too early for the goods in Crested Butte. Hartman's is a good call, though. Also the low-elevation rides in Salida would be good.
    You don't think some of the stuff lower down would be ridable? If anything, it's worth driving up for the scenery.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by skicey
    My buddy and I are planning a trip up to Moab and over to Denver with stops along the way to ride. Escaping the Phoenix heat this summer.
    Phoenix vs Moab in June ???

Pick your poison ! Both will be too hot to ride during the day.

Early June is still ski season in the CO "mountains", the only riding will be on a board or planks.

Front Range of CO could keep you busy for your entire trip, with a multitude of different trail styles.

Buffalo Creek will be at it's prime, you could spend 2-3 days just there. 3-4 days at Ft. Collins, 2-3 days at Loveland/ Lyons/ Estes Park, 2-3 days at Boulder/ Golden / Evergreen, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the input guys. Im working on putting together a itenerary for the trip. We still have enough time to research and find whats best for the time frame. Moab will be hot, so I think we are only doing 2 days there. Im looking forward to some cooler, somewhat shaded mountain trails.

Team Velveeta™

Hartman, Durango, and SALIDA!

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Durango has some great riding that opens up pretty early--and I hear they're ahead of schedule this year. Then to Gunnison via Montrose, Hartman is a treasure. Then come on over Monarch Pass into Salida. You can stay busy riding in early June here for several days even without the Crest being rideable yet. There is some mountain stuff that opens up in late May/early June. Two good sections of the Rainbow at least. In a normal year riding below 11,000 ft elevation is open by June 1, here and in Durango in my experience.

Speaking of that, lots of new singletrack appeared as if by magic here in the Banana Belt in 2010. Like 15 miles worth. It's all open and rideable right now. I hit a sweet new loop option Sunday that I GPS'd, track is here (GPX)

This ride (that includes the complete Cottonwood Trail) takes about tree hours pedaling time at average group ride speed, leaving right from the parking lot behind Absolute Bikes on the river. Approximately 3K cumulative climbing. About 40 minutes worth of dirt road climbing after the first hour, but almost every bit of the rest is singletrack, some quite technical and tastey.

Then there's another completely different new ride over to the south from town, the Little Rainbow.

Trail maps available here, more beta at Absolute Bikes.
    Last edited by TomP; 03-24-2011 at 10:50 AM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you are going to ride moab in june i would bring lights and ride before the sun comes up or at dusk. There is zero shade and the heat will be ridiculous but you already know that from riding AZ

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP
    Speaking of that, lots of new singletrack appeared as if by magic here in the Banana Belt in 2010. Like 15 miles worth. It's all open and rideable right now. I hit a sweet new loop option Sunday that I GPS'd, track is here (GPX)

This ride (that includes the complete Cottonwood Trail) takes about tree hours pedaling time at average group ride speed, leaving right from the parking lot behind Absolute Bikes on the river. Approximately 3K cumulative climbing. About 40 minutes worth of dirt road climbing after the first hour, but almost every bit of the rest is singletrack, some quite technical and tastey.
    Oh yeah? I got my ass handed to me by a handful of locals for posting that one on here last fall....I don't know how to read your gpx tracks, but hopefully you started the singletrack on 175...
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Team Velveeta™

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by lwmyers
    Oh yeah? I got my ass handed to me by a handful of locals for posting that one on here last fall....I don't know how to read your gpx tracks, but hopefully you started the singletrack on 175...
    I might take some heat for "outing" this ride. But the entry isn't hidden any more. There's a cairn at the top now and the bottom connects into an official numbered and mapped trail system. People aren't tip-toeing through the trees to get to a hidden start at the top any more.

Time for a certain public agency to start facing facts. This is a real trail and it's time that it was treated like one.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Hmmm soo many options here. In June I'd problebly take the I-70 route when you leave Moab. Hit up the Fruita Rides, then the Junction Lunch Loops. From there continue east and do Mushroom rock and Boyscout Trail out around Glenwood Springs. Then head further east and hit Cenntinial Cone and buffalo Creek all not far from D-Town. Later in the year I'd take the southern route and hit Duranog, Crested Butte, Monarch Crest, Kenosha Pass, Buffalo Creek all on the way to Denver.

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP
    I might take some heat for "outing" this ride. But the entry isn't hidden any more. There's a cairn at the top now and the bottom connects into an official numbered and mapped trail system. People aren't tip-toeing through the trees to get to a hidden start at the top any more.

Time for a certain public agency to start facing facts. This is a real trail and it's time that it was treated like one.
    I guess what I'm asking is if your gpx tracks include the "barb-wire" section and the upper Cottonwood that comes down Dead Horse Gulch? After taking serious flak for my post last year (and having the thread removed) I went down to the ranger station and had a nice talk with Ben Lara about this issue. He expressed very strongly to me that it is an unauthorized "illegal" trail. Shawn and Salida Mountain Trails are working to include it in the trails system, but this is going to take some trail work and time. Ranger Ben expressed to me that we need to tread lightly up there for the time being, or he is fully prepared to permanently close the upper sections.

(for the record, the singletrack that comes off 175 dropping directly to the SMT is on BLM land and is legal)

So PLEASE be a little more discreet about it for a little longer.

Thanks.

singletrack junkie
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skicey
    Thanks for the input guys. Im working on putting together a itenerary for the trip. We still have enough time to research and find whats best for the time frame. Moab will be hot, so I think we are only doing 2 days there. Im looking forward to some cooler, somewhat shaded mountain trails.
    The sections of the Colorado Trail that run through Chaffee County (north of highway 50) will be clear of snow in June. Some of the riding can be tough, but it's worth it because there are multiple sections of rolling aspen groves and technical downhills.

Try the "hot springs out and back"....start at either end of the trail. The north end is on Cottonwood Creek west of Buena Vista near Cottonwood Hot Springs, the south end is just above Chalk Creek and Mt. Princeton Hot Springs. The singletrack traverses the flanks of 14,000' Mt. Princeton threading in and out of creek bottoms and aspen groves with fantastic views of the valley...it's around the 9000' level.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Curt Gowdy is rapidly becoming a must ride too. XC, AM, Freeride. 2 hours out of Denver.

drinks from the fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    Curt Gowdy is rapidly becoming a must ride too. XC, AM, Freeride. 2 hours out of Denver.
    Dude! Shhhhhh!
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    Dude! Shhhhhh!
    My bad - I did forget to mention the 2-3 hours of dirts bikes and quads you have to constantly stop for as you ride up to the good trails. Millions of horses, too,...and these horses always manage to poop on every drop landing. Don't even get me started on the un-supervised children....and pit-bulls off leash!

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak
    My bad - I did forget to mention the 2-3 hours of dirts bikes and quads you have to constantly stop for as you ride up to the good trails. Millions of horses, too,...and these horses always manage to poop on every drop landing. Don't even get me started on the un-supervised children....and pit-bulls off leash!

man feel bad for what you Denver guys have to go through to find a decent ride.......Geesh!

Members who have read this thread: 0