MTB'r Airlifted from Lory today- Mtbr.com
    "Oldfart from Wayback"

MTB'r Airlifted from Lory today

From the FOCO Coloradoan:

"A female mountain biker was airlifted to an area hospital with moderate injuries after she crashed near the Arthur's Rock trailhead Sunday morning.

Calls came in around 11 a.m. after the woman crashed, coming in contact with her handlebars and possibly injuring her pelvis while on the South Valley trail about 500 yards from the Arthur’s Rock Trailhead, Poudre Fire Authority Spokesman Patrick Love said.

PFA, Larimer County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Services Unit, Poudre Valley Hospital ambulance crews and rangers from Lory State Park and Horsetooth Mountain Open Space responded to the crash.

The woman was flown by the Air Link helicopter to Medical Center of the Rockies."

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Thanks for that and I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

My leg feels funny
    The words handlebar and pelvis injury made me cringe, hope this isn't a case of no bar caps.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    The words handlebar and pelvis injury made me cringe, hope this isn't a case of no bar caps.
    Core sample?
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Core sample?
    Boo!

And that's not a Halloween remark.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Boo!

And that's not a Halloween remark.
    My brother-in-law, a groundwater environmental engineer, coined that phrase for no-plug handlebar or bar-end wound.

Same dude about ten years ago took a tumble, got cross-ways with his handlebar (WITH plugs) and jammed it into his inner thigh. No joke, he ruptured his femoral artery (with no broken skin) and a blood balloon appeared. Luckily he was taking part in some kind of organized event, so the calls were made and a helicopter came to get him. He lost a LOT of blood. He lived, but without a fast way to get to urgent care he might not have.

Seriously hope she's OK. Blunt object can be bad enough. I know from (too much) experience. Avoiding hospital visits is generally the way to go.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    stuff like this is why I'm nervous riding solo on weekdays. There are days that I don't run into anyone even at Buff Creek. Imagine if you got hurt bad enough to need airlifted out and had no cell coverage and no one around...Jesus I sound like my wife, sorry. #gettorideuncrowdedtrailsproblems

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    stuff like this is why I'm nervous riding solo on weekdays. There are days that I don't run into anyone even at Buff Creek. Imagine if you got hurt bad enough to need airlifted out and had no cell coverage and no one around...Jesus I sound like my wife, sorry. #gettorideuncrowdedtrailsproblems
    This is why I eventually bought a hardtail to ride while making sales calls on the western slope. I would ride 15 miles on a Tuesday afternoon without seeing anyone and not have cell phone signal for a lot of the ride. It was fun riding tech, but the risk-reward ratio was skewed.

My worst fear was snake bite that far from help.

(Now that I'm no longer running the Western Slope and Southern CO as part of my territory... I kinda wish I still had those opportunities!)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Same dude about ten years ago took a tumble, got cross-ways with his handlebar (WITH plugs) and jammed it into his inner thigh. No joke, he ruptured his femoral artery (with no broken skin) and a blood balloon appeared.
    Holly crap! I had no idea that was even possible.

Motion activated
    You could carry a search and rescue beacon or spot messenger.

Or just enjoy a slow drawn out death in front of the TV

I sure hope the lady rider has a full and speedy recovery (as well as good health insurance!)
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Prayers sent for a recovery!

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    This is why I ride with a Delorme InReach when I'm away from good cell coverage. May not save me if I am knocked out and can't press the SOS button but at-least they'll know where to find my bones due to the tracking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    You could carry a search and rescue beacon or spot messenger.

Or just enjoy a slow drawn out death in front of the TV

I sure hope the lady rider has a full and speedy recovery (as well as good health insurance!)
    I carry a Spot when I'm out of coverage on my own. I run it in tracking mode so my husband can see where I'm at - that way, if I bust myself and can't hit the help button, he'll clue in after a while that I'm stuck in one spot. Makes me feel better when I'm the only person for miles at Buff Creek on a weekday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    This is why I ride with a Delorme InReach when I'm away from good cell coverage. May not save me if I am knocked out and can't press the SOS button but at-least they'll know where to find my bones due to the tracking.
    How's it treating you? Some seriously bad reviews on REI about function, reliability, service and billing.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I ride way too fast and way too alone...I'm thinking a SPOT Gen 3 might be in my future.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    How's it treating you? Some seriously bad reviews on REI about function, reliability, service and billing.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I ride way too fast and way too alone...I'm thinking a SPOT Gen 3 might be in my future.
    Generally I think the InReach has been okay. It's different from the SPOT in that it has two way communications. I can text using it and get replies back which you could not with the early SPOTs (haven't looked at the latest ones).

The only negative is that it can take longer to send the message than you might expect. Until I realized this I would satellite text my wife saying I was heading back and then switch it off. The message would get "stuck" and then send when I next switched it for my next ride confusing my wife. I've now learned to wait a couple of minutes and check through my phone for the sent indicator before switching it off. Since then it's been fine.

I would say that the InReach SE is a much better product than the SPOT but it is twice the price.

mtbr member
    Looking into the InReach and SPOT. Thanks for the suggestions. I usually tell my wife where I am going and when she should be hearing from me again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hope the woman who was injured is OK.

As for bar plugs, bar plugs are not enough if you are also running lock-on grips. Core sample is not the only issue. The hard ring at the end of many lock on grips is dangerous, which is why I run Oury grips with a large knob on the end, or lock ons that only lock on the inner part of the grip and which have rubber on the end and a plug in the bar underneath.

How do I know the ring is dangerous? Three days in the ICU for a lacerated liver. I spun out on a patch of ice on Mathews-Winters a few years ago, on an uphill shelf section. I fell to the downhill side into the ravine, my handlebars turned 90 degrees, and I landed directly on the end of the handlebar, right at the bottom of my ribcage on the right side. Holy hell did that hurt. Imagine falling 5-6 feet onto the end of the handlebar.

I had a tennisball sized lump where I landed, with a perfect imprint of the lock-on ring. I had no idea what I had damaged, and I would have gone home if the very next person who came up the trail wasn't an ER doctor! He took one look and demanded that I go straight to the hospital, and proceeded to walk me out. Sure enough, I had a lacerated liver, which can be fatal. Luckily, mine didn't require surgery, so they monitored me for a couple of days to make sure the bleeding stopped, and then sent me home.

I cringe every time I see people riding with bare lock-on grips on the end of the bars.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I hope the woman who was injured is OK.

As for bar plugs, bar plugs are not enough if you are also running lock-on grips. Core sample is not the only issue. The hard ring at the end of many lock on grips is dangerous, which is why I run Oury grips with a large knob on the end, or lock ons that only lock on the inner part of the grip and which have rubber on the end and a plug in the bar underneath.

How do I know the ring is dangerous? Three days in the ICU for a lacerated liver. I spun out on a patch of ice on Mathews-Winters a few years ago, on an uphill shelf section. I fell to the downhill side into the ravine, my handlebars turned 90 degrees, and I landed directly on the end of the handlebar, right at the bottom of my ribcage on the right side. Holy hell did that hurt. Imagine falling 5-6 feet onto the end of the handlebar.

I had a tennisball sized lump where I landed, with a perfect imprint of the lock-on ring. I had no idea what I had damaged, and I would have gone home if the very next person who came up the trail wasn't an ER doctor! He took one look and demanded that I go straight to the hospital, and proceeded to walk me out. Sure enough, I had a lacerated liver, which can be fatal. Luckily, mine didn't require surgery, so they monitored me for a couple of days to make sure the bleeding stopped, and then sent me home.

I cringe every time I see people riding with bare lock-on grips on the end of the bars.
    FWIW I'm not talking about plugs, I use either the old danger boy caps or Deity Lifesavers. They will certainly help prevent core samples/lacerations however it sounds like no matter what, something's going to pop under the skin if enough pressure is applied.

I'm going to just start attaching bouncy balls at the end of my handlebars from now on

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    FWIW I'm not talking about plugs, I use either the old danger boy caps or Deity Lifesavers. They will certainly help prevent core samples/lacerations however it sounds like no matter what, something's going to pop under the skin if enough pressure is applied.

I'm going to just start attaching bouncy balls at the end of my handlebars from now on
    The first "bar ends" (as in things you grab onto) were made of wood and were about the same size/shape as a tennis ball. That would help. Actually, a tennis ball would help. Hmmm..

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    The first "bar ends" (as in things you grab onto) were made of wood and were about the same size/shape as a tennis ball. That would help. Actually, a tennis ball would help. Hmmm..
    Haha, yeah when I was joking about the bouncy balls I immediately imagined an old man walker with tennis balls on it.

Bollocks
    Name:  tennis_ball_Grips2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  30.8 KB
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.