Mountain Lion sighting at Buffalo Creek- Mtbr.com
    Motion activated

Mountain Lion sighting at Buffalo Creek

Sunday at 7:00 pm on the Colorado Trail, near the 'camp ground' loop at the end.

The wife and I were debating if we had enough time (light) to start the loop. Then we heard a noise and a bunch of small wildlife running for their lives.

I couldn't see a dam thing, but my wife caught a glimpse of, "a large dog sized animal. But it didn't move like a dog, it moved like a cat. Are mountain Lions a tan colour?"

"yessss honey, errr how close was it". I start to dismount and hold up my bike above my head while she's trying to judge the distance.

It was about 50 yards away (but nowhere to be seen), so we slowly backed off till we got around the corner.

Maybe this is normal for you Colorado locals, but I'm Austrailan, and humans are king of the jungle back home - well at least on land.

Preemptive Revenger

We all know that they're there...

...but sightings are pretty uncommon. Mountain lions, unlike mountan bikers, are silent, stealthy and shy, even when cleaning the most technical sections.

Rarely do they stalk Americans, but they may be less afraid of those merely shouting some variant of the queen's english than most of the humans they run into in these parts.
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

contains quinine

roo?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Maybe this is normal for you Colorado locals, but I'm Austrailan, and humans are king of the jungle back home - well at least on land.
    I don't know about you, but kangaroos creep me out. They have that shifty look in their eyes, and the ability to kick the living crap out of me (literally).

Glad to hear some cats are cruising around, and that you handled yourselves well.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Sunday at 7:00 pm on the Colorado Trail, near the 'camp ground' loop at the end.

The wife and I were debating if we had enough time (light) to start the loop. Then we heard a noise and a bunch of small wildlife running for their lives.

I couldn't see a dam thing, but my wife caught a glimpse of, "a large dog sized animal. But it didn't move like a dog, it moved like a cat. Are mountain Lions a tan colour?"

"yessss honey, errr how close was it". I start to dismount and hold up my bike above my head while she's trying to judge the distance.

It was about 50 yards away (but nowhere to be seen), so we slowly backed off till we got around the corner.

Learned the following this morning.

Mountain lions can leap up to 40 ft horizontally. 16 ft vertical.

when they sink their teeth into the back of your neck the teeth are shaped in a wedge shape to dislodge your spinal cord.

They can take prey up to 8 times their size.

Nothing to worry about though just don't be a moron and for god's sake keep your small children close to you when on trails.

Anybody up for a night ride.?

Sweet dreams.
    prep.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I don't know about you, but kangaroos creep me out.
    I've only ever heard of a kangaroo killing someone once. But they can cause a lot of damage when they jump out in from of cars....

But really, It's the drop bears that you have to worry about

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    Learned the following this morning.

Mountain lions can leap up to 40 ft horizontally. 16 ft vertical.

when they sink their teeth into the back of your neck the teeth are shaped in a wedge shape to dislodge your spinal cord.

They can take prey up to 8 times their size.

Nothing to worry about though just don't be a moron and for god's sake keep your small children close to you when on trails.

Anybody up for a night ride.?

Sweet dreams.
    prep.
    Thanks so much, you've put my mind at ease

Feb 2004

nO wayyyy ! u SURE ?

Felix (the cat) concolor?
    Surely you jest ...
    What was she riding...DH , XC, 4 BY ?
    Did she pack it in , pack it out?

Maybe she fed on some off leash, sheitting on the trail dog...one could only hope...natural justice!

Perhaps she penalized (pun intended) some nature abuser who was dis respectin the trail and environs...or trail sanitizer!

One could only hope and prey...
    Peace

Coordially yours

Jan 2004

Man! I've seen the Crocodile Hunter. It surprises me you are afraid of a mountain lion (I am, too). Australia has some of the most deadly creatures out there. But i'd be more afraid of a dingo...or some of those snakes you got. Helll, even your plants are poisonous!!! I think the most feared creature of them all is a Kangaroo with boxing gloves on .....

I never saw a mountain lion, but from what I hear their scream is one of the msot bone chilling things you will hear in your life.

Be safe out there, everyone.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbike24_7
    Man! I've seen the Crocodile Hunter. It surprises me you are afraid of a mountain lion (I am, too). Australia has some of the most deadly creatures out there. But i'd be more afraid of a dingo...or some of those snakes you got. Helll, even your plants are poisonous!!! I think the most feared creature of them all is a Kangaroo with boxing gloves on .....

I never saw a mountain lion, but from what I hear their scream is one of the msot bone chilling things you will hear in your life.

Be safe out there, everyone.
    Dingo's are medium (40lb) dogs. Nothing to be afraid of there unless they were in a big pack, you could just kick the sh!t out of them . In fact I've never seen any wild life on the trails in Australia, except for the odd snake. Though we used to have goanna's roaming around campus when I was at Uni.

OTOH in the three years I've lived in Colorado, I've seen two bears on the trail and one mountain lion.

It's hard to get to sleep when you're tent camping in a remote location, knowing that there are large animals roaming around that sometimes attack and kill people. Sweet dreams