Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4

    Mountain Bike Trip/Trail Recommendations?

    Looking for some free advice on a mountain bike trip I'm planning for next summer with my brother and brother in-law.

    I'd like to start in Co Springs where I live and spend a couple days hitting Elk Park, Chutes, Jacks, Limbaugh Canyon, Ute...etc, then spend 3-4 days in greater Colorado. Monarch Crest Trail is penciled in with maybe a trip to Crested Butte (have ridden the 401 and it was just ok I thought so looking for other rec's.) and then who knows where...maybe Grand Junction/Fruita. Would like to hit a combination of fast/flow mixed with lots of technical and gnar.....right, who wouldn't? A half a day at a bike park would be fun too.

    Sure, I could reference reviews on Project MTB but really would like to hear what this group has to say.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,203
    You will *not* want to do GJ/Fruita in the summer.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,714
    Forget GJ/Fruita in the summer. Also, if you have limited time why would you waste it around Colorado Springs where you can ride anytime you want?

    I'd spend my time in some combination of:

    - Salida
    - Crested Butte
    - Steamboat
    - Summit County

    Some big rides I would look into:

    - Monarch Crest
    - Kenosha to Georgia Pass and back (or into Breck)
    - Divide Epic in Steamboat
    - Two Elk in Vail
    - Copper to Searle/Kokomo or Camp Hale
    -

  4. #4
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart136 View Post
    Looking for some free advice on a mountain bike trip I'm planning for next summer with my brother and brother in-law.

    I'd like to start in Co Springs where I live and spend a couple days hitting Elk Park, Chutes, Jacks, Limbaugh Canyon, Ute...etc, then spend 3-4 days in greater Colorado.
    Skip the Springs and head to Crested Butte.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks fellas. Good advice on Grand Junction...hadn't thought about how hot it will be that time a year. Probably right about not spending too much time in the Springs...the only trail I really want to hit with them that's local is Elk Park Trail - Barr Trail - Missing Link - Lake Moraine - Jones Park...etc, which is pretty awesome if you haven't done it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4
    Follow up question: What are the two best locations in CO where you could do multiple rides over a couple days? Looking to maximize riding and minimize driving but still want to hit some epic trails. I think Crested Butte is probably towards the top of the list...where else could I go? Maybe Salida with Manarch Crest Trail and the Cotton Wood Canyon trial system and other Salida trails or maybe Breck?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart136 View Post
    Follow up question: What are the two best locations in CO where you could do multiple rides over a couple days? Looking to maximize riding and minimize driving but still want to hit some epic trails. I think Crested Butte is probably towards the top of the list...where else could I go? Maybe Salida with Manarch Crest Trail and the Cotton Wood Canyon trial system and other Salida trails or maybe Breck?
    Crested Butte and Steamboat Springs. Both have awesome bike parks, and both have awesome big epic rides you can do from town. Both have awesome towns where you can grab great food and drinks.

    I'm not a big "park rider" type of guy but I've had enough fun at both spots to go back for a day of park riding and a day or two of big epic XC rides. Steamboat has enough going on where you can spend 5 days alone and not get bored. Between the bike park, Rabbit Ears Pass/Buffalo Pass/Dumont Lake area/ Seedhouse road, Emerald Mtn. trails etc...it's all good and more trails are coming next summer.

    I'd almost hit 2 days at CB, one day in Breck, and 2 days in Steamboat. That breaks the drive up and offers a good CO mtn experience. But this is a must do in Steamboat : https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/567...lmountain-view

  8. #8
    Human Crayon
    Reputation: sleestak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    396
    Have you considered going north? Glendo in WY has camping and decent trails along the lake. Spend a day riding Coco area, then push on to WY and plan another stop on the way back down.

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
    Have you considered going north? Glendo in WY has camping and decent trails along the lake. Spend a day riding Coco area, then push on to WY and plan another stop on the way back down.

    Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    Is this like a sending someone out to ride the "epic trails" around Limon CO or does wyoming honestly have trails comparable to Crested Butte, Summit County or Steamboat........I have always looked over wyoming assuming anything in WY within a 5 hour drive of Denver has to be flat with rolling hills at best but would love to be wrong.

    Op if I where you I would:
    Monarch Pass
    Crested Butts
    Drive over Kebler Pass(free hog spring on the way in Carbondale) and head towards Vail
    Then depending on time and energy you would still have the option to go through breck on the way back to the springs

  10. #10
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,373
    I could find enough riding in Summit County alone for several days. Tons of great rides out of Breck, almost all of the Colorado Trail as it passes through, and Keystone for the lift accessed stuff, among others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrackd View Post
    Is this like a sending someone out to ride the "epic trails" around Limon CO or does wyoming honestly have trails comparable to Crested Butte, Summit County or Steamboat........I have always looked over wyoming assuming anything in WY within a 5 hour drive of Denver has to be flat with rolling hills at best but would love to be wrong.
    There is great alpine riding in Wyoming that is only 90-100 minutes from us here in Fort Collins, but feel free to keep overlooking it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Furrydogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    There is great alpine riding in Wyoming that is only 90-100 minutes from us here in Fort Collins, but feel free to keep overlooking it.
    Wyoming is not where you want to ride, here is proof:

    Mountain Bike Trip/Trail Recommendations?-wy-small-sep2018.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Planning a bike trip to Colorado, would like some trail recommendations
    By 1transition in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 06:17 AM
  2. Eureka Springs Trip - Trail and camping recommendations?
    By MakinMoves417 in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 10:07 AM
  3. Western Slope road trip - Salida trail recommendations
    By ploglet in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  4. NC, SC, FL road trip - trail recommendations
    By bank5 in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Members who have read this thread: 70

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.