Maxxis tire reccomendation for Colorado mtn biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Maxxis tire reccomendation for Colorado mtn biking

Hard pack, loose sand, rock, etc. Very liitle rain or mud. Picture buffalo creek and Mathews winters trails.

Anyone have a suggestion for tires and size front /rear?

Thinking the Ardent and/or High Roller but not sure what the best pairing would be and what sizes make the most sense. Any input would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    High rollers or Minions.

Also, good luck.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleon View Post
    Hard pack, loose sand, rock, etc. Very liitle rain or mud. Picture buffalo creek and Mathews winters trails.

Anyone have a suggestion for tires and size front /rear?

Thinking the Ardent and/or High Roller but not sure what the best pairing would be and what sizes make the most sense. Any input would be appreciated.
    Let me introduce you to a remarkable little link:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis tire reccomendation for Colorado mtn biking-10-21-2011-9-31-28-pm.png  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    And we're rolling, folks.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Maxxis Advantage 2.4 exo. Bombproof tire. And the thing never dies, I've had the same one up front for about 2 seasons. Every once in awhile it will burp some stans. So I'll just unseat that side of the tire, pick off all the stans residue so it's clean, and then restans it.
    I can't say enough about this tire. And it's pretty light too!
    Now if I could just find a bombproof rear tire. I'm on the Spec Captain 2.2 (armadillo). Great tire but only lasts a half season.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l View Post
    Maxxis Advantage 2.4 exo. Bombproof tire. And the thing never dies, I've had the same one up front for about 2 seasons.
    Holy Mackeral... you must ride very little....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

I'm with stupid
    29er or 26er?

mtbr member
    I'm having some good luck with Ardents. Seems to be a good tire. I have 2.4 exo on the front 2.25 exo on the rear. Both set up tubeless with stans.

Erik

mtbr member
    Ok cool.

Sorry to ask such a basic question but 1994 was the last I had to buy a new mtn bike tire, and there are so many size choices now...

But what sizes would you recommend? And would you just run HRs on front and back, and if so, in the same size? It looks like everyone runs something fatter up front?

Thanks again for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070 View Post
    High rollers or Minions.

Also, good luck.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleon View Post
    Ok cool.

Sorry to ask such a basic question but 1994 was the last I had to buy a new mtn bike tire, and there are so many size choices now...
    Just out of curiosity - why are you limiting the choice to Maxxis?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I really like the Larsen TT (fast) and Ignitor (grippy)

They're both good tires.

mtbr member
    I've been riding Maxxis almost exclusively for 5 years now. I love their meat.

For all around trail, the Advantages are my favorite. If you like a big tire, almost a "free ride" tire, go for the 2.4 version. Very "baloon-ish" which helps conform the tire to the terrain and smooth out the trail more.

You may want to verify, but usually the Advantage is a 60a durometer tire which makes it last a long time, but it doesn't have as much traction as a tire with 42a durometer. Which brings me to my second recommendation...

If you want more better traction and/or more options I go with the Minion F for both front and rear. Or High Roller for rear works really well, too and will have less rolling resistance than a Minion IMO. These tires come in a lot of different varieties including size, casing, and durometer. A smart way to go is to get a front tire with the 42a and the rear with the 60. That set up is hard to beat on both cost/value and traction/longevity.

As for size, generally I'd say the gnarlier the trails, the bigger the tire. But usually 2.1 to 2.4 will be fine for almost all occasions.

I have tried some of Maxxis other, more XC, faster rolling tires, but they just don't cut it for me. I need a more aggressive knob and I will sacrifice rolling resistance and weight to get more traction.

Hope this helps...
    Biker? I don't even know her.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by SylentK View Post
    I've been riding Maxxis almost exclusively for 5 years now. I love their meat.

For all around trail, the Advantages are my favorite. If you like a big tire, almost a "free ride" tire, go for the 2.4 version. Very "baloon-ish" which helps conform the tire to the terrain and smooth out the trail more.

You may want to verify, but usually the Advantage is a 60a durometer tire which makes it last a long time, but it doesn't have as much traction as a tire with 42a durometer. Which brings me to my second recommendation...

If you want more better traction and/or more options I go with the Minion F for both front and rear. Or High Roller for rear works really well, too and will have less rolling resistance than a Minion IMO. These tires come in a lot of different varieties including size, casing, and durometer. A smart way to go is to get a front tire with the 42a and the rear with the 60. That set up is hard to beat on both cost/value and traction/longevity.

As for size, generally I'd say the gnarlier the trails, the bigger the tire. But usually 2.1 to 2.4 will be fine for almost all occasions.

I have tried some of Maxxis other, more XC, faster rolling tires, but they just don't cut it for me. I need a more aggressive knob and I will sacrifice rolling resistance and weight to get more traction.

Hope this helps...
    +1, with the exception that I think the 2.4 Advantages sidewalls are too fragile for the rocks.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    also.. Maxxis tires run small... I use them on both bikes and run 2.35 high rollers on my pedal bike and 2.5 or 2.7 minions or high rollers on the DH bike..

Personally I haven't found other tires I like as much.. if I find a deal, I buy a bunch.. I did try some Kenda Nevegals this year and was highly disappointed.. the knobbies were falling off after a few rides..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Just as a reasonable starting point. I don't need the perfect combo...just something good. And starting with no knowledge here, it's to hard to begin the search with a huge dataset.

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post

mtbr member
    Agree. Very useful. That's how I was able to get down to a specific question. Thanks for your input.

QUOTE=schnauzers;8560294]Let me introduce you to a remarkable little link:[/QUOTE]

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I ride an Ardent in the front and an Ignitor in the rear. Seems to work pretty well.

mtbr member
    Sry, 26er Trek Fuel 8

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    29er or 26er?

Living the High Life
    This is getting old for me so I found a new version.

You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    I have very little problems running Ardents and/or Minons for either front or rear.

mtbr member
    love it! This was actually very helpful to me so I appreciate everyone's patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    This is getting old for me so I found a new version.

Last edited by cleon; 10-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070 View Post
    High rollers or Minions.

Also, good luck.
    Yes. Both of those do very well.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    He's evolved into a smarter rider than the rest of us.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Lol...you just made my day cuz I noticed your sig, and I see PP carries Maxxis. The store is only 10 min away. I'll just go ask them!

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    He's evolved into a smarter rider than the rest of us.

mtbr member
    Ok. So I took everything I learned here and went to a good local LBS and ended up with a 2.1 High Roller on the rear (I was looking for something more aggressive than the Aspen), and a 2.35 Ignitor on the front. In their opinion, the Ignitor worked a bit better than the Ardent on the loose sand over hard pack that we get here. They might not have had any ikons in stock but I didn't ask. Can't wait to try them out!

Thanks a bunch guys!