mtbr member

Loudest hub...for the front range???

Does any one know of any loud hubs that won't break the bank but are still reliable, hard thing to ask for I know I know about the crank brothers and I dont want those, so let's hear what you got

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Race View Post
    Does any one know of any loud hubs that won't break the bank but are still reliable, hard thing to ask for I know I know about the crank brothers and I dont want those, so let's hear what you got
    Hope Pro2s are about as loud as it gets.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    i got hope 2 pro evos, loud loud loud

mtbr member
    Hope, interesting I will look into that. do they make them for free ride or allmountain wheel sets ?

mtbr member
    Price range ??

ride
    Hope hubs are great hubs, too. Hope used to make complete wheelsets, but I believe they're just back doing hubs now. The beauty of that is that you can have 'em built into any kind of wheel you want. Handbuilt wheels are the best What're you looking for out of a wheel? A lot of this is discussed on the wheels and tires forum as well.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    i have them laced to flows on my am bike. i got them from wiggle for really good price.

friend of Apex
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2o8ZQ_UkTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Thanks guys imma look into hope for sure and also it was pay day today

banned
    Oct 2004
    If you can find them (fleabay), the old Hugi/Hayes hubs (the ones w/ the red lettering) are stoopid loud. Same type of clutch/ratchet deal as the new 240/440 hubs, but the hub shell must have some kind of weird resonance thing going!

ride
    Heck yeah! I've got a set of Hugi ultralights on an old bike. I think the teeth were a little deeper profile and the springs were a little stiffer. Those never did wear into quiet. Still loud.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Heck yeah! I've got a set of Hugi ultralights on an old bike. I think the teeth were a little deeper profile and the springs were a little stiffer. Those never did wear into quiet. Still loud.
    Sitting on a brand new 32h frt and 36h rr set. My old set was on my '98 Karpiel Disco, now rebuilt w/ XC rims...never touched the bearing once in its life, still as smooth as day 1. I have a 3rd set built to some 700C rims for a commuter, also baby's-ass smooth. All of them, louder than hell; the original loud-ass hubs! My Kings and Hadleys can't EVEN come close to these!

mtbr member
    I like what i am hearing about this hugi hubs!!

I'm with stupid
    My hopes are pretty loud but I think my WTB superduty rear has it beat. one is a 135x12 and the other a 150x12 I know they make the 135x10 but I have not heard it I imagine its just as loud as the other. Plus they are cheaper then hopes and they make wheelsets

banned
    Oct 2004
    I like what i am hearing about this hugi hubs!!
    I wish you the best of luck finding a set, they're pretty rare.
    I believe Magura also used the same Hugi hub, rebadged and painted yellow.

Edit: they're not the lightest things but you'll literally have them for the rest of your life in normal use. AND, they did make a 110x20mm TA front. I think there's one (20mm front) up on PinkBike right now.
    Last edited by Pau11y; 03-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.

ride
    CR Race, good luck finding a set. Anything that says Hugi was probably last produced 99 or 2000 or so. I think they Hayes badged hubs were around NOS until 2002 or so, but that's still a long time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the only disc Hugi hubs made were the Hayes labeled version. Great hub if you can find a set.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

<100%
    No one asked but I have to. Why do you want loud hubs?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    There was only one ratchet spring on the pre-240 Hugis, unless you were fortunate to have them upgraded by TT. After TT left DT, DT traded a full hubset of one's color choice for all of the locally upgraded rear hubs that were out there. There are about four TT hubs still out there. The metamorphasis of the internals makes even a first or second run 240 rear hub obsolete now.

Then again, I'm just posting this for tha lulz, cuz I don't know nuthin' but trollsorsz.

mtbr member
    I want something more modern because i ride a 20mm thru in the front so i am going to look at the hope and some of the wtb wheelsets!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    I just love the sound they make when you are cruising or zooming down the hill!!!

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Who needs a loud hub? Stick a playing card in your spokes....

BTW I have 13 year old Hopes and they are still going strong and are a louder than my kids

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    So everyone knows you spent a lot of money on them ;-)

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have a couple sets of Hope Pro IIs, a set of Kings, a set of Hadleys and a set of DT240s on various bikes. I think my Hadleys are the loudest, then the Pro IIs, then the Kings and the 240s are pretty quiet in comparison.

The Hopes are probably the best bang for the buck and very flexible (9mm, 15mm, 20mm front or 135 / 142 9, 10, 12mm rear). And as mentioned....they are loud.

mtbr member
    This is ridiculous. Loud hubs? Really? If it works well and happens to make a noise, then gr8. But to put noise at the top of your list, I just don't get it. This thread makes it seem like many people are paying attention to the loudness of their hubs. Who knew this was an important/attractive factor for mountain bikers? OK, I think the noise is part of the sport, but to design your wheels around this noise? Just seems weird.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Did you just say gr8?

Are you Tony the Tiger?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    sorry for having to ask, but why do we want loud hubs?

STRAVA!!!!!!
    I think its a great idea! I want to make as much noise as possible so the hikers with their freaking I pods on can hear me coming and get the hell out of the way!!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    I think its a great idea! I want to make as much noise as possible so the hikers with their freaking I pods on can hear me coming and get the hell out of the way!!
    Canned air horns? Should be loud enough to override the noise-canceling headphones, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Did you just say gr8?

Are you Tony the Tiger?

Would that be fat Tony? If you eat this and don't ride your bike you'll look like this

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I've seen people hang a cowbell on the bike to do the same thing, but I think a loud hub is a more pleasant sound.

I dream on two wheels
    I think my Hadley is louder than my hope.
    Whiskey

Oh, So Interesting!
    I sold my pro II wheelset because it was so damn loud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Loud hubs

Late 90's/early 00's vintage Ringle' or White Industries should do the trick.

boxcar

Razor Rock

I love loud hubs. The loud clicking is a sound I associate with quality. From the Hugi's I had years ago( as others mentioned) to the Hadley's and Hope's from more recent years(Hope Pro II Evo's currently.) The obnoxious ratcheting is a by-product of what I have found to be the best hubs for me.

A friend just gave me an old Razor Rock Racing DH hub from an old Schwinn Straight 8. That hub is LOUD. I believe those were made locally as well(Denver-ish) in the early 2000's. Maybe if you can find some of those, that is the best loud hub for the Front Range and you could rock a piece of local history.

But Hope Pro II Evo's are probably easier to come by

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    sorry for having to ask, but why do we want loud hubs?
    Not sure what I'm taking negative rep for, but someone gave me a red chiclet, and said
    "crowded trails + loud hubs = early warning device"

Thank you for explaining.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Not sure what I'm taking negative rep for, but someone gave me a red chiclet, and said
    "crowded trails + loud hubs = early warning device"

Thank you for explaining.
    Whoa! I just got neg rep'd too!

and it said the same thing,"crowded trails + loud hubs= early warning device"

WTF?!?!

I don't get it...

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y2o8ZQ_UkTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Pfft, just put some sand in there. That will make it plenty loud.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    A friend just gave me an old Razor Rock Racing DH hub from an old Schwinn Straight 8. That hub is LOUD. I believe those were made locally as well(Denver-ish) in the early 2000's. Maybe if you can find some of those, that is the best loud hub for the Front Range and you could rock a piece of local history.D
    I think that dude was out of AZ...but not 100%. I have one of his original carbon shell front 20mm.
    Do you have a Straight 6? Throw up some pics if you do! And, AFAIK, those have a weirdo 165mm axle? So, your RRR = no fit on any of today's bikes?

Living the High Life
    Whoa! I just got neg rep'd too!

and it said the same thing,"crowded trails + loud hubs= early warning device"

WTF?!?!

I don't get it...
    I just realized I could see +/- reps. Made me cry quiet man tears a bit with the negatives. But over on RideMonkey you can see who handed it out, here it's anonymous. So how do I know if my e-friends actually are my e-friends?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I think that dude was out of AZ...but not 100%. I have one of his original carbon shell front 20mm.
    Do you have a Straight 6? Throw up some pics if you do! And, AFAIK, those have a weirdo 165mm axle? So, your RRR = no fit on any of today's bikes?
    You may be right Pau11y. I do not have the bike, just the rear hub and axle from it.

A friend of mine, I met through a Denver shop years ago, used to, as I understand it, own and run R3. It was out of operation by the time we became friends. Since then, unfortunately, he has passed. I do not know who else(if anyone) was involved with Razor Rock Racing, but they could very well have been out of AZ.

As far as the hub I have, I originally thought 160mm spacing, but back in the day of early DH stuff, an oddball 165mm size wouldn't surprise me!

The hub I have measures 122.5mm end cap to end cap and is 20mm. The axle with it is waay long, so yeah maybe 165mm, because I know those bikes had the floating brake arm that had to fit in there too.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I just realized I could see +/- reps. Made me cry quiet man tears a bit with the negatives. But over on RideMonkey you can see who handed it out, here it's anonymous. So how do I know if my e-friends actually are my e-friends?
    thanks Ithnu!

banned
    Oct 2004
    You may be right Pau11y. I do not have the bike, just the rear hub and axle from it.

A friend of mine, I met through a Denver shop years ago, used to, as I understand it, own and run R3. It was out of operation by the time we became friends. Since then, unfortunately, he has passed. I do not know who else(if anyone) was involved with Razor Rock Racing, but they could very well have been out of AZ.

As far as the hub I have, I originally thought 160mm spacing, but back in the day of early DH stuff, an oddball 165mm size wouldn't surprise me!

The hub I have measures 122.5mm end cap to end cap and is 20mm. The axle with it is waay long, so yeah maybe 165mm, because I know those bikes had the floating brake arm that had to fit in there too.
    The reason why I'm so curious about your RRR rear hub is I think there was another application to the RRR 20mm TA rear hub...in the Tomac 204.
    The 204 is one of the only frames that has a 20mm rear TA native to the rear dropout! However, I just measured the face to face of the hub I have (Edco Big Rock) and it's 152mm, and face to face of the drop out is 165mm. What you have there, I believe, is the rear hub RRR sold along w/ their 20mm TA adapted dropout for the Santa Cruz Super 8 (135mm rear spacing for the older SC S8?). I think it was intended to work w/ the Brake Therapy floater as the floater arm was ~12 or 13mm thick. This is all from pretty faded memories...but I think the TA clamp was ~ 20mm a side. So, you have a total end-cap to end-cap dist of ~135mm for your hub + the floater arm...and another 40mm for the dropout clamp...175 or 180mm of thru-axle length sounds about right?

That thing's a piece of super-boutique bike bits history, man!

boxcar
    The reason why I'm so curious about your RRR rear hub is I think there was another application to the RRR 20mm TA rear hub...in the Tomac 204.
    The 204 is one of the only frames that has a 20mm rear TA native to the rear dropout! However, I just measured the face to face of the hub I have (Edco Big Rock) and it's 152mm, and face to face of the drop out is 165mm. What you have there, I believe, is the rear hub RRR sold along w/ their 20mm TA adapted dropout for the Santa Cruz Super 8 (135mm rear spacing for the older SC S8?). I think it was intended to work w/ the Brake Therapy floater as the floater arm was ~12 or 13mm thick. This is all from pretty faded memories...but I think the TA clamp was ~ 20mm a side. So, you have a total end-cap to end-cap dist of ~135mm for your hub + the floater arm...and another 40mm for the dropout clamp...175 or 180mm of thru-axle length sounds about right?

That thing's a piece of super-boutique bike bits history, man!
    Thanks for the info Pau11y! yeah this is a weird one! You got a lot of old school DH knowledge

the axle with both "bolts" snugged up to flush on the axle itself is 194mm from bolt flange to bolt flange. I just don't know! it could be off a super 8. That would make sense as my buddy Rob, was a Big Crank (Santa Cruz) rider in the midst of the super 8 era.

I'm stoked another rider/forum member is familiar and experienced with the R3 product! I'm really curious now about the original use of this hub so let me know what you think of the 194mm axle length if you can.

thanks!!

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the feed back I greatly appreciate So after all the comments and research... I am going to set up a wheels set with the Hope hubs haha.. and to all the people hating on the loud hubs, at least you will hear me coming at you

Living the High Life
    Thank you all for the feed back I greatly appreciate So after all the comments and research... I am going to set up a wheels set with the Hope hubs haha.. and to all the people hating on the loud hubs, at least you will hear me coming at you
    Aside from the fact that the louder the hub the better the rider, obviously , a loud hub can alert people to your presence. Not a replacement for announcing yourself or even a bell, but it doesn't hurt.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Living the High Life
    I just got pos and neg rep for my last post. Man I just can't figure out The Internet. Screw you guys, I'm going to work on bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Aside from the fact that the louder the hub the better the rider, obviously , a loud hub can alert people to your presence. Not a replacement for announcing yourself or even a bell, but it doesn't hurt.
    Oh so very true !!!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I don't hate hearing others' loud hubs, but I prefer to ride with quite ones. To each their own. Not sure why people are slinging around negative reps over this...

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I don't hate hearing others' loud hubs, but I prefer to ride with quite ones. To each their own. Not sure why people are slinging around negative reps over this...
    Because there are a lot of petty little pvssies on here. I say, remove that feature and let ppl call it face to face (or post to post). I brought this up a while ago and you can't believe how many little b!+ches came out of the woodwork w/ neg-reps.

mtbr member
    Anything with a belt drive bolted to it.
    Somebody better get me a stamp...I'm gonna send it

banned
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the info Pau11y! yeah this is a weird one! You got a lot of old school DH knowledge

the axle with both "bolts" snugged up to flush on the axle itself is 194mm from bolt flange to bolt flange. I just don't know! it could be off a super 8. That would make sense as my buddy Rob, was a Big Crank (Santa Cruz) rider in the midst of the super 8 era.

I'm stoked another rider/forum member is familiar and experienced with the R3 product! I'm really curious now about the original use of this hub so let me know what you think of the 194mm axle length if you can.

thanks!!
    I meant to do this the other day, and was finally able to do it at work (of all places...hahaha). Here's an old classified ad for a Super 8 w/ that RRR hop up kit: Santa Cruz Super 8 Downhill bike [Archive] - MORE Forums

I'm trying to find an image of the thing...but I guess pics do have a life-span on the intardwebz

And then, I found this (mainly for anyone else curious of what they look like)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    People throw neg rep around to see if someone gets their panties in a wad.

Looks like they're winning.

banned
    Oct 2004
    People throw neg rep around to see if someone gets their panties in a wad.

Looks like they're winning.

Hum...why do I read this as an admission of guilt?

Chicken Power, did you hijack Wazee's profile?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hum...why do I read this as an admission of guilt?

Chicken Power, did you hijack Wazee's profile?
    I only throw around positive rep. I'm magnanimous that way.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I only throw around positive rep. I'm magnanimous that way.
    Now I need hip waders!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Now I need hip waders!

Dammit! Must spread some rep around before giving it to Pau11y again.

boxcar
    I meant to do this the other day, and was finally able to do it at work (of all places...hahaha). Here's an old classified ad for a Super 8 w/ that RRR hop up kit: Santa Cruz Super 8 Downhill bike [Archive] - MORE Forums

I'm trying to find an image of the thing...but I guess pics do have a life-span on the intardwebz

And then, I found this (mainly for anyone else curious of what they look like)

Cool! Here is the one I have...

the "end caps" on this hub are very close to being flush with the face the brake rotor sits against and with the freehub body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Loudest hub...for the front range???-dsc01209.jpg  

banned
    @palsy

cool story, bro

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    @palsy

cool story, bro
    Sorry, but no "LULZ" in that story...just me trying to fight off Alzheimer's

mtbr member

hardy har har...? I'm feeling antagonistic.

Anyone that icludes "pvssies" and "b!+ches" in their vernacular opens themselves for derision and ridicule.

PS: + =

Thread Terrorist
    cherry bombs and glass packs won't do the trick?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

BLKSS29RGD
    My Stan's 330 rear is none too quiet, and it is mated to a Stan's ZTR 20mm thru axle on the front.

Had Hopes on the last wheelset. They were louder still, to the point where people commented.

flowcus
    I've been running the Stan's 330s for a year now too. Not quite as obnoxious as the Hopes, but still got the angry bees vibe.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I love all the sets of Hadley I have ridden. Of course enjoyed the CKing's I have ridden too. Also the I9 enduro hubs are super enjoyable too. If there is anyone interested in a Hadley's I have a set of Black 32h 9mm QR (not possible to convert) hubs that I will give you good deal on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I9's are by far the loudest hubs i have had, then hope pro II and king.

My leg feels funny

Members who have read this thread: 0