local bmx racing for adults?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

local bmx racing for adults?

Sorry this isn't a mtb question, but I bet some of you would know about the adult bmx scene (cruiser class, etc) in colorado, in particular, northern front range area (fort collins, loveland, etc)-I know nothing about this but am curious about supplementing mtb riding with some track racing and was wondering if anyone could direct me to some good local resources.

Apr 2004
    I think they might race at the Edora Park track in Ft Collins. Try calling EPIC or some of the local shops and they could give you some more info.

I can't ride 45!
    I don't have any info but am curious to hear any info you gather. I have a 20" race bike and have been thinking about putting a cruiser together. Will you post what you find?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    I don't have any info but am curious to hear any info you gather. I have a 20" race bike and have been thinking about putting a cruiser together. Will you post what you find?
    There is an Indoor BMX track in Loveland and I think they have a winter race series. I looked into it last year, but I could'nt find anyone else to go. I know that a few dual slalom racers go and race on thier mtb's as well.

Bill

May 2004
    Thanks guys! -hey I didn't know you could race on your mtb-I am going to check that out-I will post anything else I find out here.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSfit
    There is an Indoor BMX track in Loveland and I think they have a winter race series. I looked into it last year, but I could'nt find anyone else to go. I know that a few dual slalom racers go and race on thier mtb's as well.

Bill

dwj
    mtbr member
    check out this link. i can't make the link work, but google aba bmx or bmx racing to get aba's website and check the list of tracks in colorado. most races have an old guy/gal class on cruisers and regular bmx bikes. i have heard of people racing mountain bikes, i dod'nt know if they are running 24" wheels or not. i know a few mountain bikers race at the track here in the springs.

mtbr member
    Love to see any fellow mtbers out at the track! Come on out and get your spin on -- it's a great time!

I started BMX racing in 1979 and quit in 1990 after a plague of injuries and the discovery of MTBs. Came back to BMX three years ago when an old racing buddy's kids asked to be taken to the local track. I noticed that most of the guys in 36-40 Cruiser class were my old competitors and I bought a bike the next week and jumped right back in. I'm here to tell you it's more fun now than it was back then!

The tracks are way bigger and way tougher than back in the day. That said, the bike handling skills you can glean from regular BMX track riding are phenomenal.

The older Cruiser classes around here are deep in talent and speed, with several Top 5 National riders in the gate at local races. Also, we often have full gates for local races, and for State Championship or Red Line Cup races we often have 18-20 guys in 36-40 Cruiser alone.

Colorado is a hotbed for the older classes and we are somewhat unique in the nation in that respect--it's like a national every weekend sometimes. It is tough competition and a very, very fun addition to your cycling disciplines.

Just this season, the ABA introduced over-30 age brackets for 20" bikes, a class that has been steadily increasing in population across the country. Standard ability classification -- novice, intermediate, expert. Many guys now run both 20" and 24" classes and it is coming on strong! BMX is in the Olympics in 2008 and interest is surging.

You can get all the info you need at www.ababmx.com but here is some quick local track info:

ABA:

Fort Collins has Spring Creek BMX running Saturday mornings and one week night (can't remember which one.) Nice track, long, with five turns and a heinous rhthym section.

Greeley BMX runs on Saturday afternoons.

County Line BMX here in Denver runs Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. VERY big track, three 20' doubles in the second straight and Daytona-size berms. Was built as a National track by the ABA track builders and it shows.

Colo Spgs runs Thursday nights and Saturday nights. The only downhill BMX track around, with paved berms to boot -- fast. Surface is super rough, though, and a gang of guys on big-hit DH rigs shows up alot -- fun to run against 'em though, but once they start shifting and you're spun out on your gear, say bye-bye.

Dacono, which hosted the Mile High Nationals weekend before last (185 motos!), runs Wednesday nights and Saturday afternoons. SWEET track, all the way around.

All of these tracks also have official gate practice nights for $1. Simply call the contact numbers listed at the ABA's website and you'll be in the know.

NBL has tracks in Longmont, Arvada and Aurora, and will be running the indoor series in Loveland again at the Busch complex. Only three races in the series this last spring, but it went off very well, and the plan is to have racing two weekends a month Nov-March and a national in December this year. I don't race NBL, but will if they get this series in place.

Also, we have many guys competing in Cruiser class on dual slalom and 4-cross bikes. One local guy comes out on his 40+ lb downhill rig and brings some mad skills too -- he wins on that big-azz bike pretty regularly!

One last thing: Most BMX racers now ride clipless. There are still guys who can win on plats, but SPD is becoming the norm. It's all about PULL!

Get out there -- you can't believe how much fun you'll have ...
    The sketchier you are, the better you'll look in artists' renderings.