Last week of April- What will riding conditions be like?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandman012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    214

    Last week of April- What will riding conditions be like?

    I am going to be traveling into Denver, then free to make my way along Rte 70 for riding and fun, and plan on going to Fat Tire Festival following weekend.

    What are the conditions and ride-ability like at this time of year?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,577
    The crystal ball seems to be broken and the sooth sayer is on vacation. Ask in the last week of April.

  3. #3
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,321
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    The crystal ball seems to be broken and the sooth sayer is on vacation.
    It isn't and I'm not.

    Last week of April will be very snowy and muddy due to an upslope spring storm which will occur at the end of the PRIOR week.

    Conditions in Fruita will be primo that week.

    HTH.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandman012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    214
    OK, let me rephrase.

    What are the conditions traditionally like?

  5. #5
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,321
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012
    OK, let me rephrase.

    What are the conditions traditionally like?
    Seriously - end of April? You can't *count* on anything...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    70
    Honestly, it could be 80 degrees or we could have 2 ft of snow on the ground and temps in the twenties. The weather here is rather unpredictable especially in the springtime

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,552
    Perfect.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

  8. #8
    Woohooo! Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012
    OK, let me rephrase.

    What are the conditions traditionally like?
    Don't plan on doing much riding between Denver and Rifle (maybe Eagle if April is mild). I've driven through blizzards on the way to the FFTF before, but I've also gone in great conditions. Let's just say that I don't take my snow tires off until May....

    The weather is a crap shoot that time of the year. I would give Denver riding 65% odds on being primo with a 10% chance of being totally shut down by snow (with the remaining 25% being somewhere in the middle). Shoot, this is Colorado--we don't trust the forecast for this coming weekend let alone the forecast for the last week in April

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandman012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    214
    Got it, thanks.

    Best bet for riding is getting to Fruita earlier.

  10. #10
    Woohooo! Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman012
    Got it, thanks.

    Best bet for riding is getting to Fruita earlier.
    Denver (and the front range trails) will likely be good to go so I wouldn't say to necessarily skip them--just be flexible and don't make any hotel reservations you can't cancel. However, don't count on any high country riding...unless you're planning on skiing A-Basin.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    22
    Always a chance of rain in April but last year's festival was just plain cold and snowy. Year before was perfect, year before had a day or so of rain and overcast weather. total crap-shoot for April into mid-May. Pack rain-gear and fleece for the cold nights and mornings.

  12. #12
    mkk
    mkk is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    112
    Fruita and Grand Junction are pretty good right now- with a few spots of shite. Don't expect riding anything above 7000 ft.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.