mtbr member

Keystone vs Winter Park

So, I picked up a DH/Freeride bike and am debating the purchase of a summer lift pass.

Figured I would pick the more informed brains here to determine the pros/cons of each.

Obviously pricing is somewhat a factor $269 Keystone vs $129 WinterPark.

I live in Denver for what it's worth. This will be the 1st year on the DH/Freeride bike and would like to experience both (after a recent taste out in Oregon).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The XC around Winterpark is better then Keystone, but to DH/FR in Keystone is much better then at winterpark. WP will be hosting Crankworks and is making efforts to add DH/FR trails, but atm It doesnt have the venue that Keystone does. Keystone is also slated to open 5 more trails this summer...

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by fosbibr
    a DH/Freeride bike
    IMO, WP doesn't have anything (yet) that warrants a big bike. My 575 feels like overkill there a lot of times.

Maybe that will change this summer, but it remains to be seen.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctis
    The XC around Winterpark is better then Keystone, but to DH/FR in Keystone is much better then at winterpark. WP will be hosting Crankworks and is making efforts to add DH/FR trails, but atm It doesnt have the venue that Keystone does. Keystone is also slated to open 5 more trails this summer...
    I'd disagree. Whilst the XC is nice in the Fraser Valley, the XC up in Summit kills it, hands down.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2005

not even...

close..!

keystone is hands down better than winterpark for big bike riding. winterpark's dh black is equivalent to one of keystone's greens. even keystone's blue (mosquitoes coast) is faster and flowier (is that a word..?) than anything at winterpark.

winterpark is hosting crankworks.. so there is new big jumps at the bottom. but from what i understand they're not cutting any new trails.

P"

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ditto on the Keystone vot. I go to Keystone for DHing, and WP for XC. When I want to do DH runs with my wife (faster rider, but likes her wheels on the ground) we go to WP. When I want to rip it up and get some real technical DH fun, there's no choice Keystone's got it.

WP needs a few more years of building real DH trails, till then it's go downhil single & double track, but not "DH" trails.

now if you want to debate WP XC vs. Summit county XC, I've spent a good bit of time at both, and the social trails at WP rock. Haven't found them yet in Summit.

Awesomist™
    The other thing to think about is this: do you really NEED a season pass for your first year? Keystone lift tickets are $30 per day (up $2 from last year) which dictates that you need to hit the resort 9 times this summer to pay for it. For some of us here, that's a no-brainer, it's gonna happen. Hell, there's a few of us that would have 9 days in before July, but what about you? And if you want to really experience some riding, maybe NOT getting a pass and just going where you want when you want to check it all out might be an option. A few days at Keystone, a couple at WP, even making the trek to Vail for a day or two in the summer is pretty dang fun.

Just a thought.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    The other thing to think about is this: do you really NEED a season pass for your first year? Keystone lift tickets are $30 per day (up $2 from last year) which dictates that you need to hit the resort 9 times this summer to pay for it. For some of us here, that's a no-brainer, it's gonna happen. Hell, there's a few of us that would have 9 days in before July, but what about you? And if you want to really experience some riding, maybe NOT getting a pass and just going where you want when you want to check it all out might be an option. A few days at Keystone, a couple at WP, even making the trek to Vail for a day or two in the summer is pretty dang fun.

Just a thought.
    that is my thoughts on a season pass for keystone as well. Between also riding vail and weekend trips to non-downhill places doing 10 days at keystone is not a guarantee for me. It actually is a strange pricing when you think about it. It opens June 15th and closes end of september sometime - that is about 15 weekends. You either need to be close to only riding downhill or having a lot of weekdays available or it is just hard to get 10 days up there.

I have always wondered why keystone only offers 1 day or 1 season tickets and no ability to buy 3 day or 5 day punch passes. There is just to much to do in and around colorado for me to bother investing in a keystone season ticket.
    Last edited by zzsean; 06-19-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Stand back
    Third that thought - don't marry yourself to a resort, go to as many places as possible and make a decision for next year based on that.
    And I wouldn't go as far to say that the black run at WP is equal to greens at KS. There aren't really any steep sections, but there are a lot of stunts/ jumps with option lines around them. It's a fun place to ride, and somewhere I can get my wife to go that isn't as intimidating for beginners.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

J\V
    mtbr member
    Isn't a ski pass valid all summer for the gondola, as well? My wife told me this, though not sure it's valid if you want a bike hauled up. That would make it real cheap!
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Don't buy a pass

Find someone that had a 5 mountain pass last winter and ride Keystone for $15 a day (buy one get one free), do a few days at Winter Park, then ride Sol Vista (down the road from winter park) for free all summer. Sol Vista just invested a lot into building a bike park and will have free lift rides on weekends all summer....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudeboybl
    Find someone that had a 5 mountain pass last winter and ride Keystone for $15 a day (buy one get one free), do a few days at Winter Park, then ride Sol Vista (down the road from winter park) for free all summer. Sol Vista just invested a lot into building a bike park and will have free lift rides on weekends all summer....
    Thanks - I'm probably leaning more towards that anyway - I have the 5 mountain pass so I'll figure that out too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hey guys, I wanted to resurrect this to clarify a couple things - So if I buy my 5 mountain now, I get $15 lift tickets all summer to go bike? Does that go for the 3 mt?
    And what are the details as far as Sol Vista's free weekends goes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitMan
    Hey guys, I wanted to resurrect this to clarify a couple things - So if I buy my 5 mountain now, I get $15 lift tickets all summer to go bike? Does that go for the 3 mt?

As a current employee of Vail Resorts I suggest you call them to find out for sure. There are usually better perks if you buy your pass sooner than later but Vail only offers these passes at certain times of the year. So call them.
    The $15 dollar tickets are 2 for 1. So you get 2 tickets for $30 instead of 1. They expire that day. My buddy does it all the time. He just asks people out front if they need a ticket for $15.

If you are already a colorado pass holder from last year you can renew that pass online now. Otherwise you'll have to wait till the fall.

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitMan
    Sol Vista's lifts are running for free on weekends all summer long. That's the details. Five trails built by some good trailbuilders, 2 that are supposed to be faster/rougher and DH race oriented, 1 that is slower DH but really technically oriented/rocky, and a couple of easy peezy lemon squeezy fun trails that are still gravity fed.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    thanks!

Living the High Life
    For the 2 for 1 make sure you find the other person first. You both have to fill out the release forms. If you buy an extra one and try to sell it later, its illegal. I did that for my wife (I have a season pass) and the chick from the office came running out and threatened myself and this other guy who was going to buy the extra ticket. She was pretty pissed off and wouldn't let the dude go fill out the forms, but instead made him go buy his own $30 ticket and made me throw mine out.

She could have let him just fill out the form since it was honest confusion on our part, but she was being a b!tch.

Anyway, just a heads up, team up BEFORE you buy them, its illegal to resell tickets.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Thread Terrorist
    hmmm.... I need to head up to Sol Vista for some fun riding. Perhaps I'll just get up there for the G3 series next time.

Otherwise, I have the Keystone Bikehaul pass. I enjoy getting up there for a quick few runs in the afternoon. I think I've been up there 7 times this year.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by J\V
    Isn't a ski pass valid all summer for the gondola, as well? My wife told me this, though not sure it's valid if you want a bike hauled up. That would make it real cheap!
    Ski pass allows you to go up the lifts for free.... However, this doesn't include a 'bikehaul' pass. Tricky bastards.

J\V
    mtbr member
    Ah, that's OK, I earn my downhills.

[Which is probably why I suck at them...]
    '12 Santa Cruz Tallboy C w/2015 Crossmax SLs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Zipp 404s

Members who have read this thread: 0