Thread: Kenosha report

Gaa-zee-raaaa!

Kenosha report

Alright, so picture this...

You and your friends have just put in a decent day grinding out 28 miles or so near or above treeline. The temperature is perfect with a slight breeze, the aspen leaves are starting to turn, the trail is relatively uncrowded and life is good. You've just returned to the parking lot for post ride libations, and have settled into a few camp chairs and a conversation about the day's ride. The first beer and the warm afternoon sun begin to take hold of your senses and you start to think that you could easily spend the rest of the afternoon stationary, beer in hand, working on your melanoma and discussing the day's ride. All of a sudden, you hear a sound - a sound not unlike that of a 25' RV crashing to the pavement after being dropped from a 10 story building. You turn toward the source of the noise to see a jack - knifed tractor trailer sliding roughly 50 feet from where you and your friends sit, and closing the gap fast. Within what seems like a minute (but which is probably closer to a second), you find yourself frantically trying to cram yourself, along with 6 other panic stricken friends through the 2' opening between mtbdirteater's open Explorer door and the car next to it. By the time you find your way through the opening, you realize that the semi has come to a stop, and is not going to grind you like a snail into the gravel parking lot.

Lesson learned - In the future, drink post ride beers well away from the road...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now with more vitriol!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Now with more vitriol!

jeny jo

Thank you

J -- thank you for taking these pix, and for posting them.... More importantly, thank you for helping to pull the woman from the RV. J
    Last edited by jenamin; 09-12-2005 at 09:42 AM.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Now with more vitriol!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Wow. Glad no one got hurt, that is a scary scene.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    The 80 lb brake drum that took out Jordan's door. We were sitting on the other side of his Infinity. More pictures tomorrow - actual ride pictures at that...
    Now with more vitriol!

Hairshirt Rider
    Wow! Kind of glad I opted for the Crest instead.

Good grief...

THAT'S why I'm not a roadie. Stick me on a trail anyday.

Thank goodness you guys and it sounds like, all involved, are ok.

Be careful on 285, it's treacherous and too many people in a hurry.

eci
    glad to see everyone walked away in one piece

contains quinine
    That's crazy. That pass has always made me a little nervous, seems the speed limit ought to be changed to something slower for all the pedestrians, etc up there. Amazing that you all missed the flying debris.

Once, post-race on our way in the car to post-race bbq, we saw 2 accidents on the same 30 minute drive. One was a particularly scary tbone acident on a 2 lane highway...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Now Uploading

Little broken peices

Found some peices of broken auto glass and a peice of fiberglass while cleaning out the back of my Explorer tonight. Had my windows open. Glad nobody got hit with anything flying, like all those lug nuts from the truck's front wheel. I couple of people got some minor cuts from that barbed wire fence trying the get the heck out of the way as the semi slid past us, but yes, I'm just glad nobody got seriously hurt. The RV driver and his wife only had a couple of minor scratches and cuts on his head and her elbow. That semi was hauling @ss.

And with how many of us were just riding around the area and crossing the street on bikes, we're all lucky.

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

Not just famous; infamous

Good to see you guys are OK

We got back to the lot a bit later, but the accident was still there. Found one of the RV's hub caps under my car. When they tried to tow the RV away it simply disintegrated into its component parts They needed a dustpan to pick it up. Still can't believe nobody was hurt. Somebody was looking for their dog, apparently it got out of the RV and ran off. Hope they found it.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    We got back to the lot a bit later, but the accident was still there. Found one of the RV's hub caps under my car. When they tried to tow the RV away it simply disintegrated into its component parts They needed a dustpan to pick it up. Still can't believe nobody was hurt. Somebody was looking for their dog, apparently it got out of the RV and ran off. Hope they found it.
    Yeah - apparently the son of the RV's driver / passenger was driving in a jeep directly behind the the RV when the whole thing happened, it took me a second to realize what exactly was going on because the first thing I saw after walking out from behind the Explorer was some panicked guy running into the woods screaming (he was chasing the dog that got away). It's a bummer that they still hadn't found the dog by the time you guys got there, I was hoping that it would've calmed down and returned by then. I'm still amazed that nobody was seriously injured.
    Now with more vitriol!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Wow!, amazing the RV people were not hurt and that flying brake drum is just scary, glad you guys were sitting between the 2 cars.

mtbr member

Whoa

That's crazy, I'm glad everyone was ok. Bummer about the infinity, that's nice door for that brake drum to hit! I agree they need to slow people down up there, with all the camping and tourists who drive this road. Sounds like a really nice ride, bummed I couldn't make it.

No Titus anymore...
    [QUOTE=Godzilla]Alright, so picture this...

We were wondering about you guys. Yikes. We didn't have a car there, because we were heading to Breck.
    Glad you're all OK.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    WOW! Sounds like you guys were lucky! I wasn't so lucky and had to spend the weekend at the inlaws in the land of the morbidly obese: Michigan.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Rolling
    Holy ****. This post got my adrenaline rushing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

dude!!!! i totally missed this one!

i am SOOO glad none of you got hurt. the more i drive teh more i quesiton why even get on the road! its seeming to get more and more crazy all the time. and wiht the work i do, it makes me more cautious all the more. (see last paragraph)

well as you may have noticed, i didnt make the ride, chickened out at the last minute at the mileage plus had a lot to do anyways, may be going to louisana on saturday for a week wih my church. gotta prep my truck and gear for that.

on a more "ambulance chaser" note. all of you who took pictures.....please, PLEASE, keep all the digital negatives, burn them to a CD or something. I work for a company that does accident investigation from a technical perspective (expert witnesses) and we NEVER seem to get enough pictures from the cops or the insurance people. If we end up getting this case, we can use all the pics we can get. Actually, if you dont mind, shoot me an email if you took pics so i can have a record of who has some. my email is open for delivery in the avatar. also, we work mostly for the defendants side of things, which in my opinion is more worthy than plaintiffs side of most of these cases (i.e. the mcdonalds coffee thing--the person wiht the coffee was the plaintiff).

thanks and again , glad no one was hurt.

mike

the company i work for

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

So what are the details...

Did the semi driver come over the pass too fast and t-bone the rv who was pulling out
    from looking at the aspen trees. That place needs a traffic light in the fall.
    Considering the number of people within 100 feet of all that and no one seriously hurt.

jeny jo

what did happen??

you want to know what happened? I'm sure both drivers would like to know as well.... From the looks of it, the semi was heading South, the RV heading North. My guess is that they were both moving too fast, had to make an adjustment for some reason (as to yet be explained) and all compensatory maneuvers ... uh, failed. However, if there were say, a 3rd car involved, which many reported, that the semi was slowing down and veering to miss right in front of him, that would explain why the semi hit the breaks and moved over into the oncoming lane. The RV at that point I'm sure was trying to avoid hitting the semi. But there were, at the time, conflicting stories. The people on the other side of the street seemed to think that the RV was the first to move over in the 'other' lane. Who knows. The RV is just lucky the semi didn't hit them dead-head ON.... I still can't believe those people and their dogs walked away from that accident.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Jenamin thanks for the explaination of what happend.
    Unrestrained occupents being humans or pets usually don't
    do so well in those palace-on-wheels death traps.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenup
    Jenamin thanks for the explaination of what happend.
    Unrestrained occupents being humans or pets usually don't
    do so well in those palace-on-wheels death traps.
    I'd rather be in a mobile home in a tornado. I already have the T-shirt for the interview afterward with a hole torn around the navel.

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust